Where to get the best deal on EZ Pass?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Use to have a EZ Pass from Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission, but then they started charging $1/month whether or not I used it. Obviously I canceled that, but where should I get an EZ Pass from now? I hardly ever go through tolls, but drove up to NY this weekend with no EZ Pass and it was quite annoying .

Peace Bridge Authority seems to no longer allow those outside of NY to sign up now and also mentions they might close your account if you don't actually use it on the Peace Bridge. Anyone have that happen? I have an NY address I could use...

Any others that might be better? Looking for no service fees because I hardly ever go through tolls. Would prefer free or refundable deposit transponders, I can't see paying $25 for one and then having them announce they will start charging fees a few months down the road. Email only statements are fine if no fee.

Thanks

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
When you register the EZ pass you simply select electronic statements. They email you a link to your monthly statement o... (more)

doncrescas (Sep. 07, 2010 @ 10:31a) |

Looks like you have to opt-in to receive any form of statements at all, whether electronic or by mail (there was an opti... (more)

jleh (Sep. 07, 2010 @ 6:24p) |

It depends. They claim the account may be transferred over based on residency. IE, if you live in NJ, you could get tr... (more)

rsuaver (Sep. 08, 2010 @ 8:20p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I think if you're not going to be using it that often, you don't need it.
In terms of annoyances, I can only vouch for the tolls into NYC having traffic. And those are generally on prime days/hours.
All other tolls (throughout NJ) are a breeze, with or without EZPass.

I know it doesn't answer your question. But, just an opinion. I wouldn't know where to get a better deal on them.
My family and I use it at least once a week, each.

PA Turnpike EZ Pass - not free, but very reasonable.

A one-time deposit of $25, plus a $3 non-refundable annual service fee, is required for each assigned E-ZPass transponder. If a form of automatic replenishment is chosen, the deposit is waived. The deposit will be refunded to you, if you return the E-ZPass transponder in good working condition. No interest will be paid on account balances or deposits. Paper account statements are available for a monthly fee.

http://www.paturnpike.com/ezpass/personalterms.htm

I moved from NJ to MD and now to VA EZPass after both NJ and then MD started charging monthly fees. VA has no fee if you fund with ACH and credit card backup and get quarterly statements (vs monthly) mailed or online.

www.ezpassva.com

Driving in normal pay lanes is very dangerous with folks weaving to shorter lane while searching for proper cash at same time. There is a big time savings too with the expass as lanes move quicker.

Wikipedia has a very good review of all the providers.

I chose fastlane program from MassDOT. Hint: if you are applying for fastlane - do so over the phone. The website did not want to allow me to register for it since I was from out-of-state, while the CS Rep over the phone did not have any such problems.

puddonhead said: Wikipedia has a very good review of all the providers.

I chose fastlane program from MassDOT. Hint: if you are applying for fastlane - do so over the phone. The website did not want to allow me to register for it since I was from out-of-state, while the CS Rep over the phone did not have any such problems.

Have to agree here. Mass has the best program with no service fees. I did not have any problem registering on the website as out of state - that was about 3 months ago though.

I have a NH one. I got it when they first implemented it so intro pricing was something like $7. Now it's $20.95 for the interior one or $33.04 for the license plate mounted one with no monthly or annual fees.

I had one of the exterior ones and it bit the dust (battery died, non-replaceable) after 3 years where all my interior ones have been fine.

SafetyDance said: puddonhead said: Wikipedia has a very good review of all the providers.

Have to agree here. Mass has the best program with no service fees. I did not have any problem registering on the website as out of state - that was about 3 months ago though.

Mine was about a year ago. So maybe they have changed things for the better after I had applied for it.

make sure that no-annual fee is better than a discount offered for you by your home state program.
I have NY EZ pass that charges $1 monthly fee - but I got registered for the "Port Authority Car Pool" plan that is free and it saves me $4 per bridge/tunner if I drive with the family.

I have mine with VA as well. Used to have the MDPass, but as soon as they started charging, I switched to VA.

RussianInNYC - quick question, i'm just trying to understand the NY carpool discount.

i just got my new EZPass and checked the box for the "Port Authority Carpool Plan" which didn't add anything to my first prepaid amount. Just want to understand if this is correct...

If i go through the "EZPASS ONLY" lane, i get charged the regular toll, regardless of how many people are in my car. But if i go through the "EZPASS/CASH" lane, i tell the person in the booth "carpool" and if i have 3 or more people in the car, its only $2.

is that right?

thx for the help,
-kizznay

Questions here for occasional user... In NJ, and want to avoid fees. Just the convenience of not having to hunt down for cash. For usage, maybe hit the TPke once a month, few trips to EWR/JFK per year, and one or two trips down south to VA.

I thought on getting one on the peace bridge (NY/ONT) but noticed they are now requiring proof or residency. So MassDOT is the way to go now?

I got one from a rest-stop business on I-90 upstate. So far, no fee's.

Hmm - tried to get one from NY via the NYNJ port authority and no-go as I am not an NY resident

It looks like both VA and MASSDot websites are both directing out of state residents to their own state's websites. Anyone have any suggestion how I could go about getting an EZ pass without monthly/annual fees?

If you are driving near the NY State Thruway, you can get a Thruway E-ZPass at a E-ZPass On-the-Go Location. There is no monthly fee and it gives discounts on the MTA Bridges and Tunnels

hireng said: It looks like both VA and MASSDot websites are both directing out of state residents to their own state's websites. Anyone have any suggestion how I could go about getting an EZ pass without monthly/annual fees?

On the first page, tell them you live in MA. You have the opportunity to change it later.

FYI for those of you in NY state or the NYC area, you can also pick up the E-ZPass at retail locations:

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/onthego/locations.shtml

CashZone in particular has numerous locations in Manhattan. I picked one up today, and it was the MTA E-ZPass which should have no recurring fees.

Thing with most EZPass on the Go is they charge a 'convenience fee' Ie - Typically $30-$35 but they only deposit $25-$30 on the account. Ie, it costs $5.

Still looking at one - next trip down to NC in Dec and want to avoid the tolls. Read the fine print at the MassDOT and nowhere it states it's only open to MS residents. Just checking to be sure...

jleh said: FYI for those of you in NY state or the NYC area, you can also pick up the E-ZPass at retail locations:

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/onthego/locations.shtml

CashZone in particular has numerous locations in Manhattan. I picked one up today, and it was the MTA E-ZPass which should have no recurring fees.

Bingo. I picked one up at a 7-11 in the Bronx right off the cross-bronx on the way to the GWB about two years ago. No recurring fee thanks to the NY state legislature (I am currently a resident of Michigan and travel back east fairly often.

Also, the full amount goes into your account:

E-ZPass® On-the-Go is the new innovative way to obtain an E-ZPass® account. E-ZPass® On-the-Go will allow the busy traveler to open an E-ZPass® account without filling out an application or waiting in line.

It’s as E-Z as 1-2-3:

1. Stop at a participating retailer and purchase the prepackaged account kit for $25.00 (or $30.00 in the five Boroughs and Long Island).

2. Mount the tag in the vehicle and start using it immediately.

3. Visit the E-ZPass® web site and register your tag within 48 hours of its first use. Once the tag is registered, the full $25.00 will be moved to your E-ZPass account ($30.00 in the five Boroughs and Long Island).

Existing E-ZPass customers that have a New York State Thruway or MTA Bridges & Tunnels account can also pick up an additional tag at any of the Authorized Retail Locations. The full $25.00 or $30 are applied respectively to the account once the tag is registered.

So there are no additional fees with the EZPass On the Go? Was going to pick it up last time I was in NY, but was a little discouraged by the $6 annual statement fee listed on Wikipedia. Is it easy to opt out of the mailed statements (or is it that you have to opt in to get them)?

Thanks

When you register the EZ pass you simply select electronic statements. They email you a link to your monthly statement only if there was activity that month.

wiredspider said: So there are no additional fees with the EZPass On the Go?

Correct. I got the full amount after registering the tag with a credit card, as promised.

Was going to pick it up last time I was in NY, but was a little discouraged by the $6 annual statement fee listed on Wikipedia. Is it easy to opt out of the mailed statements (or is it that you have to opt in to get them)?

Looks like you have to opt-in to receive any form of statements at all, whether electronic or by mail (there was an option for no statement). Interestingly, I think the only one with the fee is the monthly statement by mail -- there's also the option for bi-monthly by mail, and I'm not sure if that one has a fee.

Anyhow, I opted for the electronic statement.

wiredspider said: So there are no additional fees with the EZPass On the Go? Was going to pick it up last time I was in NY, but was a little discouraged by the $6 annual statement fee listed on Wikipedia. Is it easy to opt out of the mailed statements (or is it that you have to opt in to get them)?

Thanks

It depends. They claim the account may be transferred over based on residency. IE, if you live in NJ, you could get transferred over to the PANYNJ and then you'll be stuck with the $1 monthly fee.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014