Where can I get top soil cheap?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I just made a few raised garden beds, and found I need about 80 CF of soil. Lowes sells a cheap top soil for $1.5 per CF, and SamsClub has the miraclegrow garden soil(a much better quality soil) for $5.4 per 40quarts, which is about 1.5CF. Is there any other source for cheap but good quality top soil? I can make my own with a compostor but it takes about a month and i'll miss the planting season.

Many thanx.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

http://www.freedirt.com/index.cfm
Free fill dirt, Fill dirt for sale,
Fill and Backfill, Free dirt

it would help to know where you live and how much you want to buy.

For example, here in the SF East Bay I would recommend American Soil. website

bulkwarrior said: I just made a few raised garden beds, and found I need about 80 CF of soil. Lowes sells a cheap top soil for $1.5 per CF, and SamsClub has the miraclegrow garden soil(a much better quality soil) for $5.4 per 40quarts, which is about 1.5CF. Is there any other source for cheap but good quality top soil? I can make my own with a compostor but it takes about a month and i'll miss the planting season.

Many thanx.

Call any local Swimming Pool companies and ask if they are installing any soon.
They will have quite a bit of topsoil and other dirt to dispose of.
I have found most of them to be very accommodating.

Go to a housing devlopment with a big old truck and help yourself.

Most landfills have some for free or will sell it cheap.

Get a shovel, flashlight, and the neighbors will never know.

Like real estate, it's all local.
Look in the yellow pages or google for landscape companies/suppliers and greenhouses. Craigslist too.
If you have a pickup to use or borrow, all the better.

Been a while since I purchased topsoil but I used to get it at a nursery that did a lot of sales to landscapers. At first I would buy a cubic yard ,27 cubic feet,for around $15 and the price has went up a few dollars since then. I started buying half a yard and noticed they always seemed to give a little more than half a yard so that made it more of a bargain. The scoop on the front loader was a cubic yard it looked like I got up to three quarters of a yard sometimes. If you don't have a nursery that has it in bulk try some rock and brick sellers.

Another way to go for a garden is to search craigslist for manure. Takes some time to shovel it into my truck but it's free most of the time and if your lucky it is composted already. A local daiy or horse stables would be another place to look.

Jon

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014