Where to buy common household items in bulk

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I've been using white vinegar to clean, unclog drains, and kill fruit flies in my worm bin. The stuff is great.

Like most household items( windex, paper towels, witch hazel) I often wonder if buying in bulk would save me time and money. By bulk I mean real bulk. Think 3x the size of costco.

I do not know where to get items such as those listed above.

I checked here http://www.webstaurantstore.com/distilled-white-vinegar-4-1-gall... and while a good price shipping is almost double the order.

Any suggestions? Am I just being wishful in thinking I'd pay less for 400 rolls of toliet paper or 10 gallons of white vinegar?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Local restaurant supply store might help. But you need a verified business to shop at most of them around here.

Smart and Final - ltd areas.

Smart & Final has some good prices on chemicals, but I wouldn't buy toilet paper there because the price isn't that good.

Anywhere besides smart&final? There are none around here. How does one go about buying from sysco or some national supplier?

Sysco and the big distributors expect regular orders. Make frinds w a store that has an account and add on to their order.

Worth checking rest supply houses not all of them exclude civilians.

Speaking of buying in bulk, I drink a lot of diet sodas (diet cherry pepsi, coke zero, etc.). I would love to have one of those soda fountains in my home (for just one flavor) and I've often wondered how much those cost and whether it would be cost effective. Has anyone else done that?

markbyte said: Speaking of buying in bulk, I drink a lot of diet sodas (diet cherry pepsi, coke zero, etc.). I would love to have one of those soda fountains in my home (for just one flavor) and I've often wondered how much those cost and whether it would be cost effective. Has anyone else done that?You best bet is to watch for sales at local supermarkets, drug chains, and beverage outlets. I'm always on the lookout for coupons for Pepsi, Coke, 7-UP, etc. Combined with the sales I can usually get a 12 pac of diet soda for less than $1.50 a case. My ex-brother-in-law had a soda dispenser for his bar in the basement plus beer on tap. Bought from a friend who gutted a bar he was converting to apartments. Was a mess and expensive to set up and cost him more than buying soda and putting on ice or in the cooler.

Now Soda Pop dispensers are not just for the rich and famous, anyone who wants their own can have one. 2 Flavor soda systems start at only $1695.00 At Home Soda

Instead of windex products, buy auto windshield washer by the gallon. Works great! You can also look up on the internet formulas to make your own. Every few weeks one of my local supermarkets has vinegar by the gallon for less than $1.50

I'm thinking the time to research, or make friends with a local store and adding onto their order like one FW'er suggested, would take up so much time that after you find the product, order, store it, it is not a great savings. I mean, our time is better spent with family and friends, not pinching every penny. And if I had a large enough area where I could store 2 years worth of paper towels, windex, and diet soda, I would rather that area be used for family activities, not storage.
Don't get me wrong, I think buying in bulk saves you money, but in the long run I am looking at quality of life vs saving a few bucks. And after 30 years of saving $200 a year via buying in bulk, that $6,000 will only be saved in another account I won't touch and my basement will still be loaded with supplies I never used.
Hoping for green but expecting red...
Rob

RobInBoston said: I'm thinking the time to research, or make friends with a local store and adding onto their order like one FW'er suggested, would take up so much time that after you find the product, order, store it, it is not a great savings. I mean, our time is better spent with family and friends, not pinching every penny. And if I had a large enough area where I could store 2 years worth of paper towels, windex, and diet soda, I would rather that area be used for family activities, not storage.
Don't get me wrong, I think buying in bulk saves you money, but in the long run I am looking at quality of life vs saving a few bucks. And after 30 years of saving $200 a year via buying in bulk, that $6,000 will only be saved in another account I won't touch and my basement will still be loaded with supplies I never used.
Hoping for green but expecting red...
Rob

Rather than give you red I'll respond. Judgemental attitudes like this frustrate me, as no one asked for your evaluation or what your philosophies on life were. I don't want to get into it you live your life and I'll live mine, and I wish you now ill will.

Rather than derail the thread try and think this way.

Some people have large areas to store things in.

Some people would rather take their family on trips, or provide camps or other things with the money they save rather than have an in home activity.

Some people closely monitor their supplies and know, that things such as paper towels can never be stockpiled.

Food for thought.

sailorbob said: Instead of windex products, buy auto windshield washer by the gallon. Works great! You can also look up on the internet formulas to make your own. Every few weeks one of my local supermarkets has vinegar by the gallon for less than $1.50

Thank you!

I'll start doing this!

I've found the home made glass cleaners but I really would like cheaper vinegar.

srl99 said: Sysco and the big distributors expect regular orders. Make frinds w a store that has an account and add on to their order.

Worth checking rest supply houses not all of them exclude civilians.

What is a rest supply house?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014