• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

iSpot 4G MiFi
Disclaimer
Clear iSpot personal hotspot $29 today only

Unlimited data $25 per month, supports up to 8 WiFi client devices. Pay month by month, no activation fee, no contract, cancel anytime. Subject to availability.

Perfect companion for iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Still looking!

gamebeaross (Nov. 29, 2010 @ 1:44p) |

If anybody's subscribed to this thread -> FYI, this deal is back on for $20 now! More info here: http://www.fatwallet.c... (more)

ThankYou (Dec. 16, 2010 @ 12:08a) |

I bought one for my IPhone 4 for $46.15 ($20 device+ $25 first month plan + tax), I tried to set it up, unfortunately, i... (more)

poopISpreciousSaveIT (Dec. 20, 2010 @ 10:33a) |

Engadget.comfollowed up with Clearwire regarding authenticating with the iSpot. They were told that "the device is configured to filter based on MAC address which allows it to ID the Apple mobile devices," which explicitly means iPhones, iPads and iPod touches only.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Could a Windows 7/XP/etc user use this as a replacement for home DSL or cable?

You can, as long as you live in the sercive area.

Technically it's supposed to be limited to Apple iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone.

I'm not sure how they plan to limit that, if at all. I suppose they could filter traffic as a means to enforce, because you wouldn't be using a bittorrent protocol on an Apple mobile device for example.

If anyone has one of these, it'd be interesting to learn.

Honestly, from what I'm reading it sounds like this device and service plan can only be used with Apple devices, that's why it's so cheap and the unlimited monthly plan is only $25. If you add the other wi-fi hotspot it's $40 a month.

yea, i mean wi-fi is just 802.11[insert appropriate letter here]. is it possible they've modified it to work only with apple devices?

@xoneinax CLEAR can replace DSl/Cable, but the iSpot will only work on the iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone. There are devices such as the Clear Spot 4G and 4G Plus, and home modems, that can replace your current internet. You can see a comparison chart with Cable and DSL at https://www.clear.com/discover/compare-clear?intcmp=index_d_bds_cmp

Cecile
theCLEARblog.com

But what prevents a Windows 7 user from using this device and the $25 plan?

Their site seems really hard to reach...FatWallet affect?

MmmmJoel said: Technically it's supposed to be limited to Apple iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone.

I'm not sure how they plan to limit that, if at all. I suppose they could filter traffic as a means to enforce, because you wouldn't be using a bittorrent protocol on an Apple mobile device for example.

If anyone has one of these, it'd be interesting to learn.

Well, the way that they could limit it would be limiting by MAC address. Apple has their own prefixes for all their ethernet devices.

And I don't think it's supposed to be limited to them, it sounds like a marketing ploy.

Just like all those Car and Home Stereos that are 'iPod compatible!' that just includes a 1/8" headphone jack.

It says MAC address filtering, and only apple products.
They also have same one with black and no limitation with 2 yr contract, so no reason to allow other devices.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/04/clearwires-4g-ispot-brings-wireless-broadband-to-apple-devices/

what speeds do you expect to get with this thing? anyone have any experience with it?

Couldn't you just impersonate an apple mac address with your router?

Ya...no way this won't be spoofable. I grabbed one. It will be nice for my cheap trip to maui coming up :-D

Just my experience, Clear service is not that impressive. Even in well serviced area, the speed is not fast as it should be, and worst of all, it is NOT stable. The speed goes up and down and it disconnects very often!

I have a wimax modem I use in Las Vegas, when I'm there it's very stable, I had that thing on for a month and wasn't disconnected once.

Maybe it isn't with the smaller USB/hotspot devices? I have one of the big Motorola modems lol.

I think it's a pretty hot deal, be even hotter if I could buy this and send back my desktop modem to save $5/month.

ezwrighter said: Their site seems really hard to reach...FatWallet affect?

Or the Engadget effect...

The 4G speeds are 4-6 Mbps, with bursts of 10 or more Mbps. The iSpot will ONLY work with iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad with the $25/month plan.

theCLEARblog said: The iSpot will ONLY work with iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad with the $25/month planWILL work with Windows 7 or MacBook devices with some effort, as EZE describes above

The reason they limit it to Apple devices is that they are competing with the $25/month data plan from AT&T on the iPad. The device looks to be as capable as their other devices, but is intentionally crippled to filter by MAC address to limit the cannibalization of their other products while still allowing them to price match the magic $25 AT&T offering (which is limited to 2GB, so Clear can say "why spend $25 for 2GB of 3G speed with them when you can spend the same amount for unlimited faster 4G with us").

BTW, I ordered one and the service agreement says NOTHING about limited to apple mobile devices. So even if they attempt to filter out certain devices, I am not sure you would be breaking your agreement by making your device "work" within their parameters. Maybe I'm wrong, NAL, so order at your own risk :-D

Sweet! In for one!

theCLEARblog said: If you use the $40 a month Clear Spot 4G plan with the iSpot, it can be used with Mac and Windows and replace home internet if you want. They also have specific home internet plans. You can see a comparison chart with Cable and DSL at https://www.clear.com/discover/compare-clear?intcmp=index_d_bds_...

I see from you website that coverage is still limited in lots of the areas, I myself live on the boarder of your green zone, how fast you are going to expand the service coverage in the next few months?

how come no service in NYC????????????????

Ok I need to know a 100% that this will work on my windows 7 laptop before I take the plunge.

unclassifiedguy said: Ok I need to know a 100% that this will work on my windows 7 laptop before I take the plunge.

If $53 is too much to risk, then don't bother! If you want guarantees, go buy their $99 black one and pay $40/month!

May be its a retaliation to ATT dsl price. I forgot but I doubt ATT has a piece of Clear ( I know Google, Intel, Comcast, Sprint are a part of Clear) so they're trying to keep their share of the market from flooding to ATT DSL. I know I did- Just switched 2 days ago and installation support to be today

Anyway, just ordered one , thanks OPs.

unclassifiedguy said: Ok I need to know a 100% that this will work on my windows 7 laptop before I take the plunge.

Then I guess you will either be paying $99 (the normal price) or waiting for a different promotion - their site says $29 "today only". For a product that was introduced less than 12 hours ago, expecting someone to report hands-on verification that spoofing the MAC address of a non-Apple product will work is a bit unrealistic.

dang, not in my area yet (ny, ny).
HOWW, probably bc sprint doesn't
have 4g in our city, and bc that
lil brick feeds off the 4g signals?

what the heck... they made this deal irresistible... with no contract and free ship... The perfect solution for my old 3gs without service and as a backup when the att network is sucky.

The iSpot is 4G only, so if you don't live in one of the few areas where 4g has been rolled out, it's a paperweight.

marcsherr said: The iSpot is 4G only, so if you don't live in one of the few areas where 4g has been rolled out, it's a paperweight.

Hmmm, I think their service area covers many million people. Sorry this doesn't apply to you, and it doesn't blanket the US, but it's not just a "few areas" either.

I have been using Clear at my small office for the last 3 months with a rock solid connection and 6+ MBps down and 2 MBps up consistently. Plenty fast for all of my needs.

WiMax is a pretty cool technology...if you don't live in an area this deal covers, you don't have to complain in this thread, move along and go start you own deals on dialup thread :-P

marcsherr said: The iSpot is 4G only, so if you don't live in one of the few areas where 4g has been rolled out, it's a paperweight.

You hit the nail on the head! This device WILL NOT work on the 3G network so make sure before you purchase it that you have 4G available in your area.

ezwrighter said: unclassifiedguy said: Ok I need to know a 100% that this will work on my windows 7 laptop before I take the plunge.

If $53 is too much to risk, then don't bother! If you want guarantees, go buy their $99 black one and pay $40/month!

Also if I am not mistaken the 14 day trial applies, although they will pro-rate the portion of the time you use the device (they did that with my home modem that I returned within 10 days, total charge was $18.66).

ok, got one also... keep us updated on how to use this w/o contributing to the apple tax and S. Jobs' retirement fund. i don't think it should be that hard to crack... it's all software based hacks

Dang, after playing with my Dell laptops today, I cannot get the stupid 1397 or 1395 wireless cards to update their Mac addresses to spoof an iphone. Looks like the wireless driver only grabs the Mac Address directly from the hardware and ignores the registry entries....grrrrr!

BTW, this was on win7 and vista. I think other wireless cards via windows will probably have more luck.

OMG, I'm one block away from coverage! Unbelievable.

sweet. Linksys can do this. Linksys wrt54G dd-wrt in car with 4gb. dope.

you can tether to i* device ipod to usb port using pdanet or something lol.

sweet.

chuanren20 said: Just my experience, Clear service is not that impressive. Even in well serviced area, the speed is not fast as it should be, and worst of all, it is NOT stable. The speed goes up and down and it disconnects very often!

I just cancelled Clear after 4 months of the same bad experience.

The BBB has 100's complaints about them, mainly from the poor fools that signed 2 year contracts and were stuck with their poor service

Skipping 69 Messages...
I bought one for my IPhone 4 for $46.15 ($20 device+ $25 first month plan + tax), I tried to set it up, unfortunately, i found out that ISPOT doesn't work with IPhone4, so I called them and got my money back on just the service ($25). the whole deal is that I just got the device for $20 for future use ( they are applying a patch in couple of weeks to make it work for Iphone 4's )

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014