• 12 3 458
  • Page
  • Text Only
B0HEMIAN said:   The problem is that coinstar does not pay 100% of the gc face value to the retailers.

Why is that a problem ?

see the post above mine

jimbocobb said:   B0HEMIAN said:   The problem is that coinstar does not pay 100% of the gc face value to the retailers.

Why is that a problem ?

B0HEMIAN said:   see the post above mine

jimbocobb said:   B0HEMIAN said:   The problem is that coinstar does not pay 100% of the gc face value to the retailers.

Why is that a problem ?


It's a win/win...you get $50 to spend at a retailer for only $40, Coinstar makes a profit, and the retailer probably still ends up making money on your purchase, depending on what you buy.

The only "problem" I see is if you end up buying something you don't need just to spend the gift card.

I would not use Coinstar to get money (where you don't get full value), only to get a gift card for some place I would eventually buy something at anyway (Amazon, iTunes, Lowes).

Beware

I read someone above mentioning the $1coin. My recollection from last year was that coinstar machines do not accept them, and do not return them to you if you put them in the counter.

If this is not correct, someone please strike me down.

Sandy0123 said:   lance said:   i'm really pissed off about the Amazon GC in toys and games. Is this confirmed it is ONLY in the toys and games? dam u Amazon! dam u!

Geez, it's just the $10 one, not the $40 one.


??? But the $10 is the whole freaking point of this deal. The "hot deal" isn't "hey look, you can get a $40 GC by paying $40". The "hot deal" is the bonus $10, so if the free $10 becomes useless, then it's no longer a 'hot deal'

According to coinstar website at http://www.coinstar.com/us/html/amazon

"No Fee when you cash in for an Amazon.com Gift Card

Amazon.com® Gift Cards never expire and can be redeemed towards millions of items at www.amazon.com or its affiliated website, Endless.com. Amazon.com's huge selection includes products in Books, Electronics, Music, MP3 Downloads, Video on Demand, DVD, Apparel & Accessories, Video Games, Software, Sports & Outdoors, Toys, Baby, Computer & PC Hardware, Home & Garden, Jewelry, Beauty, Cell Phones & Service, Home Improvement, Office Products, Camera & Photo, Pet Supplies, and more. Amazon.com is the place to find and discover almost anything you want to buy online
at a great price. "

So where does it say that Amazon GC is restricted to toys and games?

ljderm said:   Beware

I read someone above mentioning the $1coin. My recollection from last year was that coinstar machines do not accept them, and do not return them to you if you put them in the counter.

If this is not correct, someone please strike me down.


I used the new "gold" $1 coins last year for this deal and they worked fine for me.

Don't use Eisenhower silver dollars though:
================
Do I need to sort my coins before using the Coinstar Center?

No. Coinstar accepts any quantity of unsorted coins in your local currency. Coinstar's patented technology allows our processors to filter out foreign coins and other debris. However, these items may not be returned by our processors so it is a good idea to remove such items as Eisenhower silver dollars; 1943 steel pennies; foreign, damaged or sticky coins; pure silver coinage and other debris from your stored coins.
================

lance said:   According to coinstar website at http://www.coinstar.com/us/html/amazon

"No Fee when you cash in for an Amazon.com Gift Card

Amazon.com® Gift Cards never expire and can be redeemed towards millions of items at www.amazon.com or its affiliated website, Endless.com. Amazon.com's huge selection includes products in Books, Electronics, Music, MP3 Downloads, Video on Demand, DVD, Apparel & Accessories, Video Games, Software, Sports & Outdoors, Toys, Baby, Computer & PC Hardware, Home & Garden, Jewelry, Beauty, Cell Phones & Service, Home Improvement, Office Products, Camera & Photo, Pet Supplies, and more. Amazon.com is the place to find and discover almost anything you want to buy online
at a great price. "

So where does it say that Amazon GC is restricted to toys and games?


It's only for the bonus $10 card that says "toys and games"
From here: http://www.coinstar.com/us/html/amazon
look at the little rectangle under "Amazon.com" where it says "On 12/9/2010 Amazon.com will join the current promotion. Their $10 credit can be applied to toys and games."

Even if you don't usually buy toys & games, this could be a hot deal because you can get toys & games to donate for free. Especially relevant at Christmas time, but there is always some need. A local elementary school could always use the card. Also, your place of worship's nursery, a hospital, a Ronald McDonald house (been there, it was AMAZING in our time of need).

B0HEMIAN said:   The problem is that coinstar does not pay 100% of the gc face value to the retailers.
Is this true? Last year, I bought $100 worth of Itunes from the machine and it was 100% and I got a bonus. I will check this year, but all retailers gave me 100%.

ellisd said:   B0HEMIAN said:   The problem is that coinstar does not pay 100% of the gc face value to the retailers.
Is this true? Last year, I bought $100 worth of Itunes from the machine and it was 100% and I got a bonus. I will check this year, but all retailers gave me 100%.

He's saying that CoinStar give you the full amount on the gift card ($100), but the retailer only gets paid ($90) from CoinStar, as an example.

Lowe's is probably still happy and participates b/c it gets you in Lowe's to still spend SOME money.

Just looked at website, it clearly says "No Fee, Great Brands" so, i think it is just like last year, if you get a gift certificate, there is NO FEE. As for those who say the machine can't count, I counted out $40 at a time and put it in, in 4 batches, I had one canadian quarter that was rejectted but otherwise, 100% correct.

Itunes also has bonus

Seems pretty clear, "No Fees, as in zip, zero, zilch" Coinstar haters may want to actually read the ad before crapping on it
Promo

Per other comment, coinstar not giving retailer 100%, OK I get that, but why does that bother me the consumer? It doesn't bother me, it is a marketing expense, clear and simple.

tomtoc said:   ellisd said:   B0HEMIAN said:   The problem is that coinstar does not pay 100% of the gc face value to the retailers.
Is this true? Last year, I bought $100 worth of Itunes from the machine and it was 100% and I got a bonus. I will check this year, but all retailers gave me 100%.

He's saying that CoinStar give you the full amount on the gift card ($100), but the retailer only gets paid ($90) from CoinStar, as an example.

Lowe's is probably still happy and participates b/c it gets you in Lowe's to still spend SOME money.


OK, I see that now, but that is the retailers choice, how does that hurt the customer? The retailer has decided that the % discount they get is worth getting the customer to their store. Lowes also gives 10% discount coupons at the post office, should we hate them too?

What you have quoted relates to the Gift Card. The Gift Card will be for $40 (or for however much change you put into the machine) Nobody is concerned about the $40 Gift Card. The concern is only about how the $10 bonus credit can be spent.

The page says that you can spend the $10 credit for "toys and games". I know that it doesn't say that's the ONLY thing you can use it for, but it also doesn't say you CAN use it for anything else. ALL it tells us is that the $10 credit can be used for "toys and games". Right now that's the only info we have. Hopefully we will know on the 9th, when the deal goes live, what the full T&C are but the fact the page says that you can apply the credit "to toys and games" is disheartening.


lance said:   According to coinstar website at http://www.coinstar.com/us/html/amazon

"No Fee when you cash in for an Amazon.com Gift Card

Amazon.com® Gift Cards never expire and can be redeemed towards millions of items at www.amazon.com or its affiliated website, Endless.com. Amazon.com's huge selection includes products in Books, Electronics, Music, MP3 Downloads, Video on Demand, DVD, Apparel & Accessories, Video Games, Software, Sports & Outdoors, Toys, Baby, Computer & PC Hardware, Home & Garden, Jewelry, Beauty, Cell Phones & Service, Home Improvement, Office Products, Camera & Photo, Pet Supplies, and more. Amazon.com is the place to find and discover almost anything you want to buy online
at a great price. "

So where does it say that Amazon GC is restricted to toys and games?

If you put in more than $40 to make sure you get the gift card & the machine counts properly, say $42.50. What happens to the extra $2.50? Do you get some sort of voucher for the cash amount?

It will just print out a gift card for $42.50 instead of $40.00.

Great. As long as I'm not losing my $2.50.

No. You won't lose anything. People regularly cash in more than $40 even without this promotion. They get a gift card for the exact amount they put in.

Just make sure to slowly put the money in and dont rush.

The machine I went to said I had to agree to the terms of Coinstar taking out 9.2% of my total...is that what every machine says?

Digging deeper I now find that not ALL Coinstar machines will spit out a eCertificate....you should search for the nearest machine and the list will show the location that spits out eCertificates but having the little icons under the address. Hope this clears up any confusion. So locate your nearest location and make sure you see the little icons!

ThankYou said:   What you have quoted relates to the Gift Card. The Gift Card will be for $40 (or for however much change you put into the machine) Nobody is concerned about the $40 Gift Card. The concern is only about how the $10 bonus credit can be spent.

The page says that you can spend the $10 credit for "toys and games". I know that it doesn't say that's the ONLY thing you can use it for, but it also doesn't say you CAN use it for anything else. ALL it tells us is that the $10 credit can be used for "toys and games". Right now that's the only info we have. Hopefully we will know on the 9th, when the deal goes live, what the full T&C are but the fact the page says that you can apply the credit "to toys and games" is disheartening.


Exactly! It doesn't say "can only be" used for toys and games....so maybe it "can" be used for other items too.

jimbocobb said:   lance said:   According to coinstar website at http://www.coinstar.com/us/html/amazon

"No Fee when you cash in for an Amazon.com Gift Card

Amazon.com® Gift Cards never expire and can be redeemed towards millions of items at www.amazon.com or its affiliated website, Endless.com. Amazon.com's huge selection includes products in Books, Electronics, Music, MP3 Downloads, Video on Demand, DVD, Apparel & Accessories, Video Games, Software, Sports & Outdoors, Toys, Baby, Computer & PC Hardware, Home & Garden, Jewelry, Beauty, Cell Phones & Service, Home Improvement, Office Products, Camera & Photo, Pet Supplies, and more. Amazon.com is the place to find and discover almost anything you want to buy online
at a great price. "

So where does it say that Amazon GC is restricted to toys and games?


It's only for the bonus $10 card that says "toys and games"
From here: http://www.coinstar.com/us/html/amazon
look at the little rectangle under "Amazon.com" where it says "On 12/9/2010 Amazon.com will join the current promotion. Their $10 credit can be applied to toys and games."


"can be applied to toys and games" doesn't mean only to toys and games. I have never seen an Amazon GC that restricts your purchase to a certain department. have you?

The machines at WallyWorld will not dispense Amazon Gift Codes. Don't know about the other kinds though.

hallf said:   ThankYou said:   What you have quoted relates to the Gift Card. The Gift Card will be for $40 (or for however much change you put into the machine) Nobody is concerned about the $40 Gift Card. The concern is only about how the $10 bonus credit can be spent.

The page says that you can spend the $10 credit for "toys and games". I know that it doesn't say that's the ONLY thing you can use it for, but it also doesn't say you CAN use it for anything else. ALL it tells us is that the $10 credit can be used for "toys and games". Right now that's the only info we have. Hopefully we will know on the 9th, when the deal goes live, what the full T&C are but the fact the page says that you can apply the credit "to toys and games" is disheartening.


Exactly! It doesn't say "can only be" used for toys and games....so maybe it "can" be used for other items too.


Let's assume the $10 bonus could be used for anything at Amazon. Both Coinstar and Amazon want people to take advantage of this promotion, so why would they use overspecific language that seems to make the deal less attractive than it is? Also, that second sentence about the toys and games wasn't there at first--it was added later. The logical interpretation is that it will be restricted to toys and games.

satchelsofgold said:   hallf said:   ThankYou said:   What you have quoted relates to the Gift Card. The Gift Card will be for $40 (or for however much change you put into the machine) Nobody is concerned about the $40 Gift Card. The concern is only about how the $10 bonus credit can be spent.

The page says that you can spend the $10 credit for "toys and games". I know that it doesn't say that's the ONLY thing you can use it for, but it also doesn't say you CAN use it for anything else. ALL it tells us is that the $10 credit can be used for "toys and games". Right now that's the only info we have. Hopefully we will know on the 9th, when the deal goes live, what the full T&C are but the fact the page says that you can apply the credit "to toys and games" is disheartening.


Exactly! It doesn't say "can only be" used for toys and games....so maybe it "can" be used for other items too.


Let's assume the $10 bonus could be used for anything at Amazon. Both Coinstar and Amazon want people to take advantage of this promotion, so why would they use overspecific language that seems to make the deal less attractive than it is? Also, that second sentence about the toys and games wasn't there at first--it was added later. The logical interpretation is that it will be restricted to toys and games.


My question is if you've ever had an Amazon GC that was restricted to a certain department? coupon codes yes, GC never. it has never existed in the past.

deanosan said:   The machines at WallyWorld will not dispense Amazon Gift Codes. Don't know about the other kinds though.

Wally world coinstar machines are not participating in this promotion. you have to goto the coinstar locator and find the ones near you with the promotion icons.

It says you'll receive a "$10 credit". Not necessarily a gift certificate. There certainly are Amazon promotional credits that can only be used in certain areas of the site. For example, when I link my Roku to my Amazon account, they gave me a credit that could only be used for video downloads.

So, if you put in $40, you'll get a $40 gift certificate (which yes, can be used in any department) plus a $10 credit in the toys and games department. There's nothing happening here that doesn't happen in Amazon promotions all the time.

smoduper said:   lance said:   smoduper said:   So I can only use this on one gift card? or one of each?.

just one


Thanks!


If I look at the different vendor pages on the Coinstar site and read the fine print, it looks like there is a limit for one of each brand. One for Lowes, one for itunes and so on. As I read it, you should be able to get one of each. Where does it state that there is a total limit of one per address?

Thanks

Spacey said:   It says you'll receive a "$10 credit". Not necessarily a gift certificate. There certainly are Amazon promotional credits that can only be used in certain areas of the site. For example, when I link my Roku to my Amazon account, they gave me a credit that could only be used for video downloads.

So, if you put in $40, you'll get a $40 gift certificate (which yes, can be used in any department) plus a $10 credit in the toys and games department. There's nothing happening here that doesn't happen in Amazon promotions all the time.


"On 12/9/2010 Amazon.com will join the current promotion. Their $10 credit can be applied to toys and games."

Where does it say that it has to be used only in the toys and games department?

Spacey said:   It says you'll receive a "$10 credit". Not necessarily a gift certificate. There certainly are Amazon promotional credits that can only be used in certain areas of the site. For example, when I link my Roku to my Amazon account, they gave me a credit that could only be used for video downloads.

So, if you put in $40, you'll get a $40 gift certificate (which yes, can be used in any department) plus a $10 credit in the toys and games department. There's nothing happening here that doesn't happen in Amazon promotions all the time.


Exactly.


Look for the
Disclaimer
All the coinstar's in my area have

lance said:   "can be applied to toys and games" doesn't mean only to toys and games. I have never seen an Amazon GC that restricts your purchase to a certain department. have you?
lance said:   So where does it say that Amazon GC is restricted to toys and games?
lance said:   My question is if you've ever had an Amazon GC that was restricted to a certain department? coupon codes yes, GC never. it has never existed in the past.

Nobody in the world thinks that the Amazon GC is going to be restricted to a certain department. Nobody. NOBODY.
NOBODY is saying that $40 GC will be restricted to toys and games. NOBODY THINKS THAT IS THE CASE.

I really don't know how on earth you are still confused by this.

ThankYou said:   lance said:   "can be applied to toys and games" doesn't mean only to toys and games. I have never seen an Amazon GC that restricts your purchase to a certain department. have you?
lance said:   So where does it say that Amazon GC is restricted to toys and games?
lance said:   My question is if you've ever had an Amazon GC that was restricted to a certain department? coupon codes yes, GC never. it has never existed in the past.

Nobody in the world thinks that the Amazon GC is going to be restricted to a certain department. Nobody. NOBODY.
NOBODY is saying that $40 GC will be restricted to toys and games. NOBODY THINKS THAT IS THE CASE.

I really don't know how on earth you are still confused by this.


"On 12/9/2010 Amazon.com will join the current promotion. Their $10 credit can be applied to toys and games."

Where does it say that it can be only applied to toys and games department?

My local Coinstar at QFC had no signs that it was included.

lance said:   Where does it say that it can be only applied to toys and games department?

It's now 12/9 so the Coinstar page has been updated.


You may find this shocking, so I hope you're sitting down for this newsflash...

"$10 Amazon.com TOY & GAME BONUS CODE (Valid for TOY and GAME purchases fulfilled by Amazon.com* only) "

ThankYou said:   lance said:   Where does it say that it can be only applied to toys and games department?

It's now 12/9 so the Coinstar page has been updated.


You may find this shocking, so I hope you're sitting down for this newsflash...

"$10 Amazon.com TOY & GAME BONUS CODE (Valid for TOY and GAME purchases fulfilled by Amazon.com* only) "


yes, i am shocked because last year Amazon's $10 bonus credit from coinstar was good for all purchases. looks like they are getting cheap for x'mas 2010.

LAME!!

Limit one $10 AMAZ0N.COM TOY & GAME BONUS CODE per Amaz0n.com account.
aww lame

Don't make this more complicated then it needs to be.... The machines take paper bills.

Bring your loose change to the machine and supplement with cash paper bills. If you want you can just bring two $20 bills and be done with it.

There's no need to go to the bank or other establishment to convert paper bills into coins to bring to the coinstar.....


I went with Amazon GC's the past few years; time to try Lowes..

If this is instant cash from Amazon how do they restrict 1 per adrdess ?

NOT hot for Amazon anymore now thats its limited to TOYS and GAMES only



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014