• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

32 inch (34.20kB)
Disclaimer

42 inch (34.48kB)
Disclaimer
Menards has a deal for two LCD TV's. One is a 42 inch and the other is a 32 inch. In store only and after $80 rebate. Both TV's are Sceptre brand.

Linky

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Anyone know how good the sound / audio is on the 42" one? I have a 32" TCL that I picked up at Amazon at the end of t... (more)

BigAlan (Feb. 26, 2011 @ 8:53a) |

Picked one a 32 inch today. Had some menards rebates to burn up. Odd that Menards does not offer an extended warranty on... (more)

BlueGoose177 (Feb. 26, 2011 @ 10:30a) |

I'm not sure if it would be worth an upgrade to remedy "weak audio." Most Televisions today aren't built for Audio Qual... (more)

dhp10 (Feb. 26, 2011 @ 4:22p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

this also caught my eye, just keep in mind the $80 is a merchandise check not cash, so it can only be used at Menards. Not a big deal as menards seems to sell just about everything, but certainly not as versatile as cash in your pocket.

I don't actually live near a Menards, I just got the email and figured I would post it for someone around one. Enjoy!

any online/ PM possibities??

What's the quality of these tvs?

I have had a Sceptre brand HDTV for a few years now and I am quite happy with it. The built-in tuner for OTA reception is very good!

Thank you, that is very helpful, I had never heard of a Sceptre before, but we need a new TV. Will have to look into this.

I would suggest looking at these in the store. To me the image seemed to "lag" a little with action. Yes a good price and may fill a need but the picture didn't look all that great in store. Of course it could be the source as well...i'm not sure menards is set up to deliver HD programming lol.

EDIT: And just FYI I have an insignia lcd and a proscan that I got from woot so I'm not a TV snob Just wanted people to go look first before buying. My menards has it set up.

Sceptre has been making LCD monitors for PC's for a good while, so I suppose they're not totally new to the game.

WombRaider said:   I would suggest looking at these in the store. To me the image seemed to "lag" a little with action. Yes a good price and may fill a need but the picture didn't look all that great in store. Of course it could be the source as well...i'm not sure menards is set up to deliver HD programming lol.

I was just at Menards in Skokie, IL. There's a stack of these, nothing on display, just a small stack. So you won't get to see a working display. Only 1 person grabbed a TV while I was there.

Hm...I will have to take a trip to the store and get a better look before I decide. Thank you for all the info.

I saw one at my local store, not all that impressed, though they had it hooked up to a standard DVD player.

They have a couple cheap Memorex Blu-Ray players for 59 and 79 after menard's rebate.

Nothing wrong with Sceptre at these prices, same flaws as other value sets from Emerson or AOC type brands. Use an AMEX or similar for extended warranty and I'd say you are in pretty good shape.

I Googled some reviews. They tend to vary by model, so would need the model number. I see everything from an average of 2.5 stars on some models to an average of 4 stars on some models. Newegg seems to carry their TVs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889112032&...

These prices are with a big mail in rebates....what if you buy it....mail in the rebate with your receipt and then want to return it if its crappy or defective?

For the $$, not bad! Green!

Menard's prints out a special rebate receipt below the regular receipt. You mail that special receipt and keep the regular one. In my experience, Menard's is very good with rebates. Not perfect, but very good. If you return something without the rebate receipt, sometimes they will deduct the amount of the rebate from the refund. It depends on how sharp-eyed and/or anal the person processing the return is.

timx said:   ....what if you buy it....mail in the rebate with your receipt and then want to return it if its crappy or defective?

Also keep in mind, with an off brand, you may have issues with universal remotes. I have a 5 year old Olevia brand TV and can't get any of my Universal remotes to work with it. Don't know if this is the case for Sceptre...

tablestar said:   Also keep in mind, with an off brand, you may have issues with universal remotes. I have a 5 year old Olevia brand TV and can't get any of my Universal remotes to work with it. Don't know if this is the case for Sceptre...
Use a learning remote.

Menards is very good with rebates. The number of free items I have received in the past year is amazing. Note: when in store read sign by item or rebate form and you will discover often you can have 2 or more items free. often language like "limit 2 4packs, 1 rebate per household" Therefore if you are going to buy more than one do it on the same receipt. All this being said . . . either the dvd player was poor quality or the 32" scepter is not that great. I was ready to buy and decided to past. I guess I would rather spend the additional $100.00 and go with a known brand. All rebates are a postcard that you spend like cash in the store. Therefore you can you the rebate check from previous weeks free stuff to buy this weeks free stuff. Not a good business model but exactly what most fatwalleters live for.

dimsumkid said:   WombRaider said:   I would suggest looking at these in the store. To me the image seemed to "lag" a little with action. Yes a good price and may fill a need but the picture didn't look all that great in store. Of course it could be the source as well...i'm not sure menards is set up to deliver HD programming lol.

I was just at Menards in Skokie, IL. There's a stack of these, nothing on display, just a small stack. So you won't get to see a working display. Only 1 person grabbed a TV while I was there.

There are three Menards within 20 miles of where I live. All three had both tv's on display and they seemed fine to me....no lag at all.

Scottw2 said:   tablestar said:   Also keep in mind, with an off brand, you may have issues with universal remotes. I have a 5 year old Olevia brand TV and can't get any of my Universal remotes to work with it. Don't know if this is the case for Sceptre...
Use a learning remote.

I have a learning remote for my Xbox that doesn't work and a Gyration learning remote for my media center that doesn't work. It's not that big of a deal as I could go buy a nicer Logitech, but still...

Friend of mine used to have a 32" Spectre, was great and works just fine for a TV in the spare bedroom or workshop.

I still have my 32 inch Sceptre from 2007. Works great and the picture is better than my 46 incher.

Anyone know how good the sound / audio is on the 42" one? I have a 32" TCL that I picked up at Amazon at the end of the year that I'm thinking of upgrading because the audio is pretty weak on it.

Picked one a 32 inch today. Had some menards rebates to burn up. Odd that Menards does not offer an extended warranty on this set, they always try and hawk one off on you at checkout, but not this one. (I asked) Square trade offers a 4 yr warranty on this for 38 bucks.

BigAlan said:   Anyone know how good the sound / audio is on the 42" one? I have a 32" TCL that I picked up at Amazon at the end of the year that I'm thinking of upgrading because the audio is pretty weak on it.

I'm not sure if it would be worth an upgrade to remedy "weak audio." Most Televisions today aren't built for Audio Quality. This Sceptre only provides 10 Watts of power/channel....(which is the same audio power/channel that the recent Fat-Wallet 60" Mitsubishi DLP also delivers.)
And I can't imagine that Sceptre loads up any top-quality speakers in the limited real-estate that today's Televisions provide.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014