APC J10 UPS Power Conditioner, $130 shipped

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
APC J10 from Vanns

I bought this last September when it was on sale for $150 vs the present $130 deal. This is a very capable UPS, power conditioner, surge protector, etc. but be aware it's a monster. It feels even heavier than it really is (43 pounds!) and is large. In my case finding an appropriate spot for it required some creativity. Nevertheless, it was absolutely well worth the effort.

I noticed a definite improvement in my plasma's DirecTV picture quality and also in my surround system's audio. I realize there are better protection systems available--this one is "Waveform Type: Stepped Approximation To A Sinewave"--but this device provides a LOT of protection for the money. Scheduled to end 4/26 but Van.ns sometimes extends these deals.

Member Summary

APC J10 (28.20kB)
Thanks DevilMonkey
Disclaimer
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › APC

This is silver though, right? (i.e., not as pictured above as black)

pwdbyamd said:   This is silver though, right? (i.e., not as pictured above as black)

It seems like you can make the assumption that the auto-added pictures are ALWAYS wrong. It sucks that FatWallet continues to put WRONG information into their forums! Even after pointing out this issue many times.

I'm curious as to how you define these definite improvements in your video and sound.

Not only that but 600w......isn't that much. This is not pure sine wave meaning doesn't work well with PFC on modern PSUs

Inventory expected in end of May, beginning of June. Pre-order now reserve your product.

opathal said:   Not only that but 600w......isn't that much. This is not pure sine wave meaning doesn't work well with PFC on modern PSUs*

No problem, Vann's got ya covered: 900w pure sine wave APC S15 for $300(down from $1500).

If you are at all in to the hardware itself, these are absolute monsters (small m, no relation). I am sure APC is losing money relative to manufacturing cost to unload an unpopular silver finish. I got in on a Silver APS S10 on a previous deal, and it is one of my favorite buys of the year.


*What is PFC on PSUs?

cga said:   I noticed a definite improvement in my plasma's DirecTV picture quality and also in my surround system's audio.How, when almost all audio and video equipment built in the past 20+ years contain line filters and feedback-regulated power supplies that make them fairly resistant to AC power problems?

The acceptable AC voltage range is typically 90-130VAC for 120VAC equipment, and line filters have to be fairly good because even a single voltage spike can lock up or reset the digital control circuitry found in about every device made. I doubt your TV's and audio system's circuitry is being reset so often that you notice a difference in sound or video quality.

I'm sure your explanation won't be like something from an infomercial ("I don't know how it works, but it does!")

This isn't to say people shouldn't buy a product like this if they need brief backup power for blackouts, and APC would probably be the brand I'd prefer.

larrymoencurly said:   How, when almost all audio and video equipment built in the past 20+ years contain line filters and feedback-regulated power supplies that make them fairly resistant to AC power problems?

The acceptable AC voltage range is typically 90-130VAC for 120VAC equipment, and line filters have to be fairly good because even a single voltage spike can lock up or reset the digital control circuitry found in about every device made. I doubt your TV's and audio system's circuitry is being reset so often that you notice a difference in sound or video quality.


(summons up his most earnest Nigel Tufnel voice and replies) But it weighs 43 pounds.


Link to review of the $299 S15 model that discusses its possible effect on video/sound at the end.

And an alternative review from a very techy sounding guy who notices immediate and obvious improvements.

My experience with the model S10 is similar to the first review, I cannot say I have noticed definite improvements, but do not doubt that some people will based on equipment and location. However, I have experienced the peace of mind that comes from having excellent protection from damage to my equipment by surges/spikes.

It appears van.ns ran out (that was quick) but will notify you when their inventory is replenished. But the price has gone up to $150. So the deal is basically dead. Van.ns is very good about notifying you when an item comes back into stock if you request this service. I've asked to be notified several times and they've always come through, but not always at the same price.

Yes, I realize this is not pure sine wave (see my description).

As for the non-believers, yes it did improve my TV picture and HT stereo sound. And no I don't have a bridge in Brooklyn I'm trying to sell; and no, I don't claim to have magic ears or eyes; and no, I don't recommend Monster brand items. The J10 made a definite improvement in color saturation, blacks and whites, detail, and in the audio detail and soundstage. I'm not imagining it. I've been into hi-fi since the seventies and have owned a lot of TV and stereo equipment over the years. I'm very picky and frankly don't believe any claims until I experience them first hand.

I don't claim to understand the whys and wherefores, and frankly don't care that much about why...the picture and sound are better. But they are. I also laughed at the so-called experts when I read about better power cords and thinner interconnects (that's right, thinner) improving the sound quality of stereo equipment and flat panel picture quality.

I laughed, that is, until I tried a better power cord (Pangea) and a better (thinner) interconnect on my power amps and other hi-fi equipment. Haven't tried it on the plasma yet. Yes, I know a "better" power cord can't possibly help because, after all, the equipment is plugged into the wall, which is fed by miles and miles of lower quality wire. I can't figure that one out myself. I've got no ax to grind here. But I certainly have no reason to doubt my own eyes and ears, and the eyes and ears of so many others who see the same things I do.

groch said:   larrymoencurly said:   How, when almost all audio and video equipment built in the past 20+ years contain line filters and feedback-regulated power supplies that make them fairly resistant to AC power problems?

The acceptable AC voltage range is typically 90-130VAC for 120VAC equipment, and line filters have to be fairly good because even a single voltage spike can lock up or reset the digital control circuitry found in about every device made. I doubt your TV's and audio system's circuitry is being reset so often that you notice a difference in sound or video quality.
(summons up his most earnest Nigel Tufnel voice and replies) But it weighs 43 pounds.

Link to review of the $299 S15 model that discusses its possible effect on video/sound at the end.

And an alternative review from a very techy sounding guy who notices immediate and obvious improvements.

My experience with the model S10 is similar to the first review, I cannot say I have noticed definite improvements, but do not doubt that some people will based on equipment and location. However, I have experienced the peace of mind that comes from having excellent protection from damage to my equipment by surges/spikes.
The first article, which says the sound seemed the same with the UPS installed, seems credible. But where in the second article does the author seem techy, as opposed to Monster Cable/StereOpus/Absolute Sound pseudo-techie? Amplifiers inherently reject a lot of interference even without regulation or filtration of the AC power, usually by a factor of 1,000 - 10,000.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014