• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Linky

Update 6/13 - credit to Amonte10:
I just did the pickup at store ... even though it says sold out, I just clicked on the stores and went through the process.....

Member Summary

Dell 17.3" Laptop
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Have not noticed any unusual heat, nothing in the keyboard area. Seems to be a good 'puter for the money, have been pla... (more)

Cravenfan (Jun. 18, 2011 @ 4:51p) |

Had a complete hard drive failure about 7 days into ownership. Seeing as how this happened very shortly after I had jus... (more)

DoctorDeals (Jun. 26, 2011 @ 9:14p) |

Nothing wrong here...mine is stil chugging along...no issues (except when I can't use it because my kids are playing Ang... (more)

Cravenfan (Jun. 30, 2011 @ 6:37p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Dell
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

in for 1

Looks to be great specs at this price point , but little worried about the quality when compared to latitude, should consider square trade ?

Hot. In for 3.

megaFat said:   Looks to be great specs at this price point , but little worried about the quality when compared to latitude, should consider square trade ?

Look under special offers - you can buy 2 year protection for $129.99 and get $100 back inBB GC. Decent if you shop at BB.

Any 10% off coupons out there to make this torch hot ??

Does this have the second generation processor???

alleyoop said:   Does this have the second generation processor???

Nope, not Sandy Bridge, but I really doubt you'll find one with at this price point and features (17", 6GB ram, i5, 640gb, Blu-Ray) within the next 6 months. You can get a 15" i3 Sandy Bridge for $500 with less ram and no BR...

alleyoop said:   Does this have the second generation processor???

No chance on Sandy Bridge anywhere near this price.

One isssue I've had with Dells is that the palmrest 'surfacing' is often cheap paint that rubs off. Can anyone comment on this model?

I dont think the $100 if off for protection plan. That is if you buy Clear WiMax service.

Can you confirm?

BTW, the display resolution is 1600x900. I had to dig for that detail, Best Buy decided to leave that detail out.

thanks op. it says reg price 599 but did not see the reg price at that level normally.

2 most important things i need to know...

1. Does it get warm to the touch? I don't care how fast the laptop is...if I get's warm easily, I can't type on it for long or put it on my lap.

2. Is it 100% hackintosh compatible. If you don't know what I mean, go to hackintosh.com to read more on how you can install the MAC OS making sure all drivers especially the video card is fully working

oz16us said:   2 most important things i need to know...

1. Does it get warm to the touch? I don't care how fast the laptop is...if I get's warm easily, I can't type on it for long or put it on my lap.

2. Is it 100% hackintosh compatible. If you don't know what I mean, go to hackintosh.com to read more on how you can install the MAC OS making sure all drivers especially the video card is fully working

I'm guessing that someone who didn't/doesn't know what you meant isn't going to be the one answering your question.

more consumers should demand a laptop that is hackintosh compatible...incase they want to switch over to a MAC OS if they desire

Very Good Deal!

SteveG

PS - People should note that it has no seperate video memory (not really expected at $500).

megaFat said:   Looks to be great specs at this price point , but little worried about the quality when compared to latitude, should consider square trade ?

Unfortunately, its not going to be anywhere near the quality of a lattitude or a higher Dell, but, its also $500... A square trade is a good idea IMHO.
SteveG

invisible said:   thanks op. it says reg price 599 but did not see the reg price at that level normally.
Editorial Reviews tab (PC Magazine Editors' Review) says the list price for the Dell Inspiron 17R-2950MRB was $949.99 at Best Buy.

oz16us said:   more consumers should demand a laptop that is hackintosh compatible...incase they want to switch over to a MAC OS if they desire

Sure, if they want to pay extra on the off chance they would want to switch over to a MAC OS.

MAC OS is only $30. Not all laptops are 100 compatible. The main issues are video card and wifi. The video card on this laptop should be compatible...does anyone know if it is a Broadcom wifi adapter? This would be great news if it is.
Basically, you would be getting a comparable MAC for half the price

is there any site who offers CashBack for this deal?

Nice, I looked at their add add saw nothing I wanted....
I should know to actually look at the site for models offered...
This may have been there for sometime...
Store pick up order went through, though not confirmed yet for pick up....
They randomly decide to not sell to me and cancel.
Store people know me and will not let me buy inperson from store, they do allow one per day site order for store pick up....
If in fACT i EVER GET THE OK TO PICK UP EmAIL.

EL3V3N said:   is there any site who offers CashBack for this deal?

If you have Discover, you can get 5% CB through www.shopdiscover.com.

rbraden said:   Hot. In for 3.

They tagged me as a reseller about 3 months ago...for instore buys.
I can take others with me to buy but it costs me their lunch....

templeboy said:   Linky

I just hit the GREEN 5 times for you....

Discover 5% CashBack offer not valid on laptops or desk tops

It's gonna be ship to store for me, no local stock....

alleyoop said:   Offer not valid on laptops or desk tops

Whats not VALID

yesidonoitall said:   templeboy said:   Linky

LOL!

templeboy said:   yesidonoitall said:   templeboy said:   Linky

LOL!

And 5 for you also....

Wow, desktop replacement. I wish they could just eliminate the display and allow the external display only and make it $300.00

Just need that tv tuner

Wish I was in the market.

yesidonoitall said:   rbraden said:   Hot. In for 3.

They tagged me as a reseller about 3 months ago...for instore buys.
I can take others with me to buy but it costs me their lunch....

Isn't the warranty only valid with the original purchaser?

oz16us why don't you just buy it and then add a wireless card if the Mac OS is not compatible with the built in card. They cost less than $20 these days.

doublehelix747 said:   EL3V3N said:   is there any site who offers CashBack for this deal?

If you have Discover, you can get 5% CB through www.shopdiscover.com.

From shopdiscover.com website •Offer not valid on laptops, desktops and hard drives

I'm going to try anyway but not expecting it!

oz16us said:   MAC OS is only $30. Not all laptops are 100 compatible. The main issues are video card and wifi. The video card on this laptop should be compatible...does anyone know if it is a Broadcom wifi adapter? This would be great news if it is.
Basically, you would be getting a comparable MAC for half the price

Intel Centrino wireless 6250, not Broadcom. Don't think there's kext support for this.
As others have suggested, you could replace the wireless card with one known to work, such as the Dell 1510 wireless N card.

There hasn't been a 100% compatible OSX system since Dell discontinued the Mini 10V, even if there's hardware support for the video I seriously doubt you could get sleep to work (among other things). I can't get sleep on my new desktop build and all components are compatible.

And try a compatible Mac at maybe a QUARTER of the price, I don't know of a 17" i5 Mac laptop under $2 grand.

with all my years of owning various laptops, i have never replaced a wireless card... is it simply to do? Does that mean that other laptop's wireless cards are upgraded the same way?

one thing I'd like to add...I just came from best buy and I noticed the 15" version is somewhat warm to the touch (mainly on the left palm). I practically hate this! I can't stand warm weather, let alone warm palms every time I use my laptop. What to do.....

Skipping 120 Messages...
Nothing wrong here...mine is stil chugging along...no issues (except when I can't use it because my kids are playing Angry Birds or my wife is on Facebook.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014