• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Linky
and
Request form

Atlas Shrugged, written by Ayn Rand, paints a dystopian future of a world where government regulation has run amuck and productive members of society have had enough. It lays the framework for a society based on morality, property rights and liberty.

* Atlas Shrugged is the "second most influential book for Americans today" after the Bible, according to a joint survey conducted by the Library of Congress and the Book of the Month Club

Amazon link FYI

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Thanks templeboy
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
thx op! heard my college friend talk incessantly about her and this book (and fountainhead). worth a read, especially ... (more)

Yankees (Jul. 01, 2011 @ 6:25a) |

Ayn Rand spent her last years on government program to avoid using up her savings for health care. Didn't want people to... (more)

ImagineNoHell (Jul. 03, 2011 @ 9:35p) |

still haven't gotten anything yet. hope this isn't bunk. but, what capitalist in their right mind would give away anyt... (more)

Yankees (Aug. 30, 2011 @ 1:58p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks. this book needs to be read by more.

Significantly cheaper than Charmin... Thanks OP!

(that's a joke, son)

I actually appreciate this, even though from what I understand from seeing videos and reading interviews of her, I disagree with everything she ever said except possibly that people who believe in God are insane - not sure about that. But have been wanting to read it and not wanting to make the investment to do it. thanks.

Forrm says "Thank you!" hope it comes ... or else ...

Love the book and Rand's Objectivist philosophy. However, the link seems to be dead, and the form doesn't look that promising to me... Any thoughts about the validity of whoever is offering this deal, why, etc?

Looks like studentsforliberty.org has gone Galt!

Do we need student account for this?

mnsweeps said:   Do we need student account for this?

You can use your alma mater for that - current student status not required.

Site (http://studentsforliberty.org/) appears to be down/overwhelmed...

I was expecting maps.

I agree everyone should read Ayn Rand. Every educated person should experience her theology of individual talent, achievement and self-reliance.

It is freedom run amuck, leaving no space for God or morality or community or social responsibility. Her followers present her outlook as the means for each person to achieve their best without being hindered by outdated modes of behavior.

In other words, this is the conquest of individualism over humanity, capitalism without limits, selfishness without conscience, self-aggrandizing without humility, social Darwinism masquerading as self-fulfillment and self-actualization.

I don't think that there are any human beings who really need a thick book or two to justify self-interest. That's kinda automatic.

But it makes a helluva free doorstop.

There is an irony here somewhere.

submitted with my spam email and work address in case it was an email/address harvester.

I can resell this on Amazon for at least a dollar. Isn't capitalism wonderful?

dukefanjohn said:   submitted with my spam email and work address in case it was an email/address harvester.

Cannot be too cautious, even though the book is given away by the author's institute.

Last time I tried to get a copy, there were people who wanted it on Paperbackswap.com, so if you use that, it's a free book for trading for something else. Thanks, OP!

It is a deal, but even for free I will pass on this...

Who is John Galt?

(you know someone had to ask)

templeboy said:   
* Atlas Shrugged is the "second most influential book for Americans today" after the Bible, according to a joint survey conducted by the Library of Congress and the Book of the Month Club
http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Shrugged-Ayn-Rand/dp/0452011876

I think it would be preferable if Sir Isaac Newton's, "Principia Mathematica", and the complete works of William Shakespeare were considered the most influential books.

However, this being Fatwallet…and free is free…green for the OP.

I get lost all the time, thanks.

wasn't going to get it, but considering all the wailing and gnashing of teeth by a few posters here I guess I'll check it out. Thanks OP

Wish it was cheaper...

I like the idea of wasting their money... but I really don't want to give them my mailing address.

Yuyak said:   I like the idea of wasting their money... but I really don't want to give them my mailing address.

Mail it to your boss.

I'll gladly take one and pass it along to someone who needs it. Too bad politicians apparently can't read.

Street address 2 is required? Nice scripting, guys.

And I thought most people see through the smoke screen of Rand and her looney tunes!

The only reason liberals don't like this book is because it's so bloody long; they'd change their minds if the State paid for someone to read it too them.

This book presents the world as being black and white, most educated people will be able to enjoy it without completely agreeing with the late Ms. Rand. If you left-wing types are able to overcome the cognitive dissonance you will sure experience you may find that some of it makes sense. And for those on the right, please realize that the system in this book is ridiculous... the next time you're driving and complain that, "'someone' should do something about these roads" recognize that under Rand's objectivist ideology you'd have to fix them yourself.

If you enjoyed 1984 or Brave New World give it a shot. If you beleive anything that shows up your 24 hours 'news' station like Fox News or CNBC (or any other medium that tells you what you want to hear) then it's probably not for you.

Independents and free-thinkers with open-minds unite!

Free thinkers! LOL

I read a borrowed copy of this book a few months ago. Thanks, now I can have a copy for myself.

RADa5AURU5 said:   The only reason liberals don't like this book is because it's so bloody long; they'd change their minds if the State paid for someone to read it too them.

This book presents the world as being black and white, most educated people will be able to enjoy it without completely agreeing with the late Ms. Rand. If you left-wing types are able to overcome the cognitive dissonance you will sure experience you may find that some of it makes sense. And for those on the right, please realize that the system in this book is ridiculous... the next time you're driving and complain that, "'someone' should do something about these roads" recognize that under Rand's objectivist ideology you'd have to fix them yourself.

If you enjoyed 1984 or Brave New World give it a shot. If you beleive anything that shows up your 24 hours 'news' station like Fox News or CNBC (or any other medium that tells you what you want to hear) then it's probably not for you.

Independents and free-thinkers with open-minds unite!

I would be considered a lefty. Surprisingly, though, I have actually read more than one book of more than 100 pages. It hurt and was hard, but I did it. Had I known I could get the state to pay for someone to read them to me, though, of course I would have done that. Who Knew? Must be one of the new programs the government has been adding with all of the cash laying around. Lying around? Never could get those straight. A burden of liberalism.
But to the p;point, I did fill out the form for my free Ayn Rand book, which I don't expect to agree with but am curious about.

^ Sense of humor and a free-thinker, I like you already ^

Joyjitguhu on the other hand...

dazviking said:   I was expecting maps.

LOL! I was expecting the same thing, and that's why I add the word "book" instead of just copy-n-paste...

I just looked at Amazon - 1200 pages - they should sell it by the pound.

Yuyak said:   RADa5AURU5 said:   The only reason liberals don't like this book is because it's so bloody long That seems like an odd statement considering people who've completed higher education tend to lean liberal while people with only high school degrees tend to lean conservative.

Yeah, but I really wanted to make the joke about State-sponsored readers.

That said the size of it is a major deterrent for a lot of ppl; her editor should've been fired! Galt's speech is obnoxiously long and mostly superfluous.

I have read this as well as her other books and all of them are an insult to the intelligence and common sense. All hr books cater to is greed and more greed.

From what I've heard, the events in Greece are mimicing events in this book.

I've yet to read the book, but the Greece comment stirred my curiosity.

belgique said:   WHAT IS most interesting about the book is the author who opposed government sponsored anything but died in a nursing home paid for by Medicaid....alone.

How so? I am being sincere.

If it exists, then use it (especially if you had paid for it). Should she not drive on the government streets?

Skipping 32 Messages...
still haven't gotten anything yet. hope this isn't bunk. but, what capitalist in their right mind would give away anything for free...?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014