• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
As an FYI, you will probably get hit with insane amounts of political solicitation until the end of eternity after your address gets sold/shared. Political lists get passed around like you wouldn't believe.

This thread is now under moderation. No more political battles, please. The last few started to veer too far, so we're putting a cap on it.

Thank you!

The tree in front of my house told me I have to choose between him and this book.

riznick said:   From what I've heard, the events in Greece are mimicing events in this book.

I've yet to read the book, but the Greece comment stirred my curiosity.

If you mean in the sense that it was the opposite of Rand's view and greed and anarchy run amok, you are correct.

Greece was able to join the European Union and then systematically cook their books to make it look like they had no inflation, no significant debt, and no long term problems. By doing that, they were able to borrow at rates they had never enjoyed before, with the implicit backing of the EU. And borrow they did, with no complaints from the populace because for the most part everyone was in on the scam. With the help of Goldman Sachs (for which Goldman received huge fees) they were able to create securitized debts on future receipts that they promptly sold, and then spent the money. It is a direct analogy to the larger problem of CDO's and credit default swaps that caused the US and then global financial crisis in the 2003-2009 years (in which Goldman Sachs was also apparently complicit).

When the borrowing well ran dry (just as when the CDO and CDS markets dried up) the game was up.

Thanks OP.

LifeAsISeeIt said:   As an FYI, you will probably get hit with insane amounts of political solicitation until the end of eternity after your address gets sold/shared. Political lists get passed around like you wouldn't believe.
S'okay.

I will forward these to the NRA and those from the NRA to these yoyo's. I am an equal opportunity non-contributor!

Cartman said:   There is an irony here somewhere.I was looking for a free book to explain why things should not be free.

They would have to pay me money to read this book. Free isn't good enough.

RADa5AURU5 said:   The only reason liberals don't like this book is because it's so bloody long; they'd change their minds if the State paid for someone to read it too them.

This book presents the world as being black and white, most educated people will be able to enjoy it without completely agreeing with the late Ms. Rand. If you left-wing types are able to overcome the cognitive dissonance you will sure experience you may find that some of it makes sense. And for those on the right, please realize that the system in this book is ridiculous... the next time you're driving and complain that, "'someone' should do something about these roads" recognize that under Rand's objectivist ideology you'd have to fix them yourself.

If you enjoyed 1984 or Brave New World give it a shot. If you beleive anything that shows up your 24 hours 'news' station like Fox News or CNBC (or any other medium that tells you what you want to hear) then it's probably not for you.

Independents and free-thinkers with open-minds unite!

I'm certainly left of center, but despite your patronizing post I've read this book and The Fountainhead (among many, many, other books). Atlas Shrugged is absurd, it takes things to a silly extreme. I've read many longer books that seemed much shorter. Rand belabors her point over and over again. The speech near the end was mind numbing, she had made all of her points earlier in the book.

The Fountainhead was a great book, I highly recommend it. Atlas Shrugged is one I can do without.

thanks!

perfect to get and sell to unfortunate who wants it.

Ayn Rand must be turning in her grave. Irony.

Thanks OP...In the morning to you all

There are two novels that can transform a bookish 14-year-old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish daydream that can lead to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood in which large chunks of the day are spent inventing ways to make real life more like a fantasy novel. The other is a book about orcs.
Raj Patel (from The Value of Nothing)

njkatz said:   I just looked at Amazon - 1200 pages - they should sell it by the pound.

Not only is it 1200 pages, but it's tiny bible-text. I read it a few years ago over a whole summer and I read fast. I tried to read it again more recently, but got only halfway through then gave it up, especially when remembering how the last fourth of it goes- basically a dry capitalist sermon.

Thanks.

What is everyone putting in "STREET 2" field?

steveeb said:   What is everyone putting in "STREET 2" field?

Like for your apartment number.

Too bad that I didn't qualify. My street address has only one line in it.

steveeb said:   What is everyone putting in "STREET 2" field?Some people use Suite #1, #2, #3, etc. when they want to create different addresses for the same place and the post office person will just ignore this if it does not really apply to anything

Goferebater said:   Too bad that I didn't qualify. My street address has only one line in it.

You can actually leave in blank. You've really never seen that before?

What right do we have to free load and read Ayn Rand's book? She advocates that all works should be valued and paid for in full. I actually enjoyed the book (and her other similar ones like "The Fountainhead") but find that it is being given away for free to be quite ironic.

Ayn Rand would HATE it that someone is giving away her book (or anything else) for free.

MarkVI said:   
I'm certainly left of center, but despite your patronizing post I've read this book and The Fountainhead (among many, many, other books). Atlas Shrugged is absurd, it takes things to a silly extreme. I've read many longer books that seemed much shorter. Rand belabors her point over and over again. The speech near the end was mind numbing, she had made all of her points earlier in the book.

The Fountainhead was a great book, I highly recommend it. Atlas Shrugged is one I can do without.

It could well be possible that I don't correctly understand the definition of 'patronizing' as I am unsure how it applies to my post. My views are all over the board and I have watched politicians from all end of the spectrum fail me, so I have no political ties.Otherwise, I feel like you and I are on the same page though as we both noted that Rand took her ideology to extremes and of the redundancy of Galt's speech. I will definitely take your recommendation for The Fountainhead. I would still recommend Atlas Shrugged to everyone, I would hate for anyone to miss Francisco D'anconia's speech regarding money being the root of all evil, which I think is a brilliant piece of writing; politics aside it's an interesting story too.

Might be interesting reading, like this thread!

I have found it worthwhile to read both sides of ideological views. I haven't read this book, but I tend to think any book that people actively try to demonize is probably worth reading.

templeboy said:   dukefanjohn said:   submitted with my spam email and work address in case it was an email/address harvester.Cannot be too cautious, even though the book is given away by the author's institute.Don't worry too much. During her life, she expressed a desire to have only one person murdered.

I actually read this book many years ago before I lived in the United States, and long before I had heard of Rush Limbaugh. I found it to be a confusing, rambling rant. Atlas Shrugged? Atlas Vomited more like.

thx op! heard my college friend talk incessantly about her and this book (and fountainhead). worth a read, especially for FREE!!!

Ayn Rand spent her last years on government program to avoid using up her savings for health care. Didn't want people to know so use alternate name. Great role model to learn from.

still haven't gotten anything yet. hope this isn't bunk. but, what capitalist in their right mind would give away anything for free...?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.