• Go to page :
  • 123 4 5
  • Text Only
IrfanPathan said:   everyone screwed !

Every one that has already BOUGHT one has been screwed. They get cheap enough I will buy one. I mostly surf with my iPad anyway so if cheap enough that will be good enough for surfing.

I would buy it for $99 to surf in bathroom

lilstabber said:   I would buy it for $99 to surf in bathroom

Would you buy it for $99 and surf outside of the bathroom?

HP Kills TouchPad, Puts WebOS in Hibernation

No on is more pissed off than me...

Even though I have a iPad I urged both my sisters to run and get this when it was $299.

KYBOSH said:   HP Kills TouchPad, Puts WebOS in Hibernation

No on is more pissed off than me...

Even though I have a iPad I urged both my sisters to run and get this when it was $299.

Apotheker is an idiot. All they had to do was license it and it would have kicked Android's arse. The phone's still work great, will continue. There should be some great deals to be had on Pre 2s. I wonder if they are going to release the 3 or just mothball it.

Is it safe to call this a product not worth buying - since there won't be any kindof product support - or software support for a discontinued product line that lasted a month or 2 before being cancelled.

I'd stick to Apple or Android and avoid the HP at any price.

KYBOSH said:   No on is more pissed off than me...

I betcha your sisters might be a bit more touchy about it than you are.

slickdeal45 said:   
I betcha your sisters might be a bit more touchy about it than you are.

He'll never hear the end of it ---- NEVAH!!!!!

riznick said:   My biggest concern is HP's forward commitment. (8/7/2011)
Took a week or so.

That'll teach me to take a gamble on borderline tech. Mine's going back!

The shame is that webOS is far superior, technically speaking, to iOS and Android.

Hopefully someone will port Android to these. We'll probably see these at BigLots for under $100 soon. Glad I didn't buy one (was very tempted) but condolences to those who bought in the last few days.

saidiadude said:   Hopefully someone will port Android to these. We'll probably see these at BigLots for under $100 soon. Glad I didn't buy one (was very tempted) but condolences to those who bought in the last few days.

Nah. Those of us who bought in the last few days are fine. Feel bad for those who bought >30 days ago.

saidiadude said:   Hopefully someone will port Android to these. We'll probably see these at BigLots for under $100 soon. Glad I didn't buy one (was very tempted) but condolences to those who bought in the last few days.

I'd buy one for $50-$100 just to mess around with. Would love to see someone throw Android on it. haha...

mj1108 said:   saidiadude said:   Hopefully someone will port Android to these. We'll probably see these at BigLots for under $100 soon. Glad I didn't buy one (was very tempted) but condolences to those who bought in the last few days.

I'd buy one for $50-$100 just to mess around with. Would love to see someone throw Android on it. haha...

They have a snapdragon dual core CPU inside.

Is it known if this is possible. I may keep my out for liquidation sale - if that's doable.

The funny thing is, earlier today QVC had this as the "Today's special value" offering the 32GB version and some accessories for like $529 or so. I happened through the company cafeteria and somebody had left the channel on !!!

Needlesss to say it has TOTALLY disappeared from QVC's website. LOL.

lilstabber said:   I would buy it for $99 to surf in bathroom

I pay that for one NIB, but where I surf is none of your business!

mj1108 said:   saidiadude said:   Hopefully someone will port Android to these. We'll probably see these at BigLots for under $100 soon. Glad I didn't buy one (was very tempted) but condolences to those who bought in the last few days.

two new galaxy phones will use the same cpu/ram as this. android - fo sho -

mathfaster said:   IrfanPathan said:   everyone screwed !

Every one that has already BOUGHT one has been screwed. They get cheap enough I will buy one. I mostly surf with my iPad anyway so if cheap enough that will be good enough for surfing.
Everyone who bought it more than 2 weeks ago (or whatever the return period is) is screwed. Others should go return it. Fortunately this promotion was less than 2 weeks ago, but you don't have much time.

I guess they'll be pulling the commercials for them. I thought they were cool.

PS for anyone who bought outside the return period, I'd still try to return it, given that the product has been discontinued.

Just waiting for the $99 (or less) sales to begin. Perfect for the crapper. LOLZ!

This is sad...

dacoroman said:   This is sad...What's sad is that I just saw the Lea Michelle Touchpad commercial on Letterman.

wait wait wait...don't buy this now. prices will go down even more!

gtalum said:   That'll teach me to take a gamble on borderline tech. Mine's going back!

The shame is that webOS is far superior, technically speaking, to iOS and Android.

Yeah right! If it was so superior, why did they kill it off? What a joke!

PS: Next is the joke they called the playbook! bahahahahaha LOL.

If you decide to return the Touchpad, here is Staple's Return Policy.

Staples Returns & Exchanges info Linky

Return Policy:

If you're not 100% satisfied with your Staples purchase, return it for any reason.

Office supplies: No matter when you made your purchase, you can return office supplies to us for a full refund, including Staples® brand office products.

Software: Unopened software, including all Staples® brand software, that we currently sell may be returned for a full refund at any time. Opened software can only be exchanged for the same title version. Downloadable Software is not returnable.

Technology and Business Machines: Technology and business machines may only be returned within 14 days of the date of receipt, including Staples® brand technology and business machine products.

Furniture: Furniture, including Staples® brand furniture, may only be returned within 14 days of the date of receipt. Custom-ordered, custom-assembled, and select HON furniture products are only returnable if defective when received.

Ink and Toner Cartridges: Unopened and unexpired ink or toner cartridges, currently carried in our U.S. Stores, may be returned at any time for a full refund.

Prepaid Cards: Gift Cards and phone cards are non-refundable and non-returnable. They are valid only at the retailer/service provider listed on the card. Prepaid cards cannot be redeemed for cash. Specific terms and conditions are included with each card.

Refund Policy: Your purchase must be returned in saleable condition with the original packaging, including Universal Product Code (UPC), manuals, parts, and your receipt or packing slip.

Returns with a receipt: If you paid with cash, debit card, or check, we'll refund your purchase with cash if it was an in-store purchase or by check if you purchased through Staples.com®. If you paid using a debit card and if the card and PIN are present during the refund, we'll credit the account used for payment. If your purchase exceeded $500 pretax, and you paid with cash, check or by debit card but do not have your debit card, your money will be refunded in the form of a corporate check. If you paid by credit card, we'll credit the account used for payment.

Any product that is returned without a promotional item(s), which was included in the original transaction (e.g. buy a printer, get free ink), will have the value of the promotional item deducted from the amount refunded.

Returns without a receipt: If you don't have your receipt, your return is eligible only for an in-store credit for the lowest selling price within the previous 30 days in our U.S. stores. Valid government identification is required for all non-receipted returns. We carefully monitor returns and in some cases returns made or without a receipt may be refused. Staples reserves the right to deny any return.

MyDiscover said:   gtalum said:   That'll teach me to take a gamble on borderline tech. Mine's going back!

Yeah right! If it was so superior, why did they kill it off?

Poor marketing. It's like Beta-Max. Remember that? The format was technically superior but it wasn't well-marketed.

Regardless, I really liked the webOS UI on the TouchPad. It definitely handled multi-tasking far better than iOS and Android. It's a shame that HP never really supported it. No real harm, though, as I returned it.

When the original post not only describes the deal, but also goes into detail on how to return the thing, it makes the deal not sound like a deal at all.

There's a reason HP is dumping these. They're junk in every way! Don't buy it just because of the % or $ off. In a month or two, you'll be wishing you had your money back and you'll be left with a giant paperweight.

RED for HP!

MyDiscover said:   gtalum said:   That'll teach me to take a gamble on borderline tech. Mine's going back!

Yeah right! If it was so superior, why did they kill it off? What a joke!

PS: Next is the joke they called the playbook! bahahahahaha LOL.

They are killing it off because HP wants to be the next IBM. You might want to ask if the sell more PC's than anyone, why would they spin that off ? Because they make way more money in enterprise and professional services than in consumer division.

At any rate, having used WebOS a decent amount, it really is a decent OS, and had the potential to be *really good*. HP/Palm hardware, not as much.

I will definitely be looking forward to a low priced touchpad to play with, and I hope the webosinternals community will be able to keep things useful moving along, even though HP won't

BloatedElvis said:   They are killing it off because HP wants to be the next IBM. You might want to ask if the sell more PC's than anyone, why would they spin that off ? Because they make way more money in enterprise and professional services than in consumer division.

They killed it because it was costing them quite a bit of money. HP's execs believed it would take five years to establish WebOS in the market, and even then they weren't certain that they'd be able to make an acceptable margin on it. It's got nothing to do with wanting to be the next IBM--HP will begin to look like IBM because that's the best option that their failures have allowed for them, not because it's what they wanted.

Their consumer PC business is very low-margin. They may sell more than anyone, but they're not making enough money to keep that division viable. If you don't believe that they'd love to have a viable PC business, you're nuts. What they want and what they get are two different things, however.

Stripping off the fat allows HP to survive, and perhaps thrive. They've had such awful management this last decade. Their corporate culture stinks. Their biggest asset was their momentum, and they've finally run out of it. They're going to have a very rough period ahead of them.

BloatedElvis said:   I will definitely be looking forward to a low priced touchpad to play with, and I hope the webosinternals community will be able to keep things useful moving along, even though HP won't

I've been using handhelds for a long, long time. Once a product is dead in the water, the "community" always talks about keeping it going. If the pool of devices sold is large enough and developers can still see some rewards (be they monetary or otherwise), things can continue for a bit. That's how it was with the Newton. Heck, my Newton still works and there are people working on getting it to work with Apple's latest OS.

WebOS, however, is done. There are too many better performing alternatives. There are lucrative alternatives for developers--nobody had really been developing for WebOS, anyway. Spend your money on a platform that has legs. You'll be much happier.

slickdeal45 said:   BloatedElvis said:   I will definitely be looking forward to a low priced touchpad to play with, and I hope the webosinternals community will be able to keep things useful moving along, even though HP won't

I've been using handhelds for a long, long time. Once a product is dead in the water, the "community" always talks about keeping it going. If the pool of devices sold is large enough and developers can still see some rewards (be they monetary or otherwise), things can continue for a bit. That's how it was with the Newton. Heck, my Newton still works and there are people working on getting it to work with Apple's latest OS.

WebOS, however, is done. There are too many better performing alternatives. There are lucrative alternatives for developers--nobody had really been developing for WebOS, anyway. Spend your money on a platform that has legs. You'll be much happier.
I really liked webOS (I have palm Pre and Pixi) so it's hard to admit but I think that analysis is spot on.

How low do think this will go? For $99, this is worth it for casual web surfing. But, I don't think it will get that low. Just this week Big Lots had a piece of s*** 7" no name android tablet for $89 and it flew off the shelves. My guess is that these will bottom out between $200 and $250. At that point, you might as well spend a few hundred more and get something good.

Maybe HP could bundle the tablet with the Logitech Revue for $199.

I'll buy a tablet for $150 or less to play around with it. I imagine the FW posts about deep discounts will be coming soon.

Watching Android struggle to gain a foot hold against iOS, it really made me wonder what the heck HP and Blackebbery thought they were going to do in the tablet space. I went into Office Depot to demot this thing last weekend - it had no WiFi connectivity (even thought all other tablets did) so was really pretty useless. I drove over to Office Max to get a demo there and it too had not WiFi connectivy (again, all other tablets did). Two employees worked on it for about 15 minutes before I got tired and declared that this thing was doomed as I walked out of the store. Little did I know it would only take a few days for that to be true.

Like others said, if it hits $99 it might make a nice wireless browser.

stevelion said:   Like others said, if it hits $99 it might make a nice wireless browser.

You just said it didn't have a wifi connection in either store, where all the others did.
So, how will this make a "nice wireless browser"?

troysparty said:   Just this week Big Lots had a piece of s*** 7" no name android tablet for $89 and it flew off the shelves.

I'd check that hardware! - Maybe those were HP Touchpads that Big Lots hacked Android onto......[j/k]

Geez, I wonder what the return rate is on these things in the last 2 days.

If these get to a decent firesale price point they would be perfect to set up an inhouse video intercom system.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014