• Go to page :
  • 12 3 45
  • Text Only
$350 (+tax in IN, KY, NY) shipped for today's eBay daily deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-TouchPad-9.7in-16GB-Wi-Fi-WebOS-Tablet/31...

eBay...No line, no frustrate, no problem, no tax + free shipping...thanks!

Lol, was only a matter of time for an e8ay daily deal.

Feel sorry for the w00ters...and the St8ples people since tax probably puts the $299 deal close to this daily deal. How low can this thing go??

Just talked to Staples people on the phone, and their official line is that you should bring a copy of the email with the coupon to the store and the $200 off should be honored. He also acknowledged that of course the coupon was sent by email directly from Staples to its customers.

While I appreciate that they are honoring the coupon, it's unacceptable that they require you to bring the email, as this is not indicated anywhere in the coupon's fine print.

I find these details out after my local store accused me of lying on my last visit. I presented the coupon and said I had received an email containing it, the manager tried to tell me the coupon was generated by some coupon deals site, and that Staples never even sent the coupon. He obviously made this up on the spot, and said there was no way he was going to honor the extra coupon. Just a heads up.

I've now been to my store twice having been rejected both times. Now that I'm fairly sure I could get the deal if I went a third time with an email in hand, I'm having second thoughts. The weight of the Touchpad is the same as the original iPad (1.6lb), while the iPad 2 is 1.33lb, and significantly thinner. Also, I don't think this is such a crazy deal anymore; a $500 iPad 2 (tax-free, potentially additional discounts?) is a comparable deal for what you get.

I just bought one from the eBay seller. I'll happily pay the $29 extra to avoid the Staples headaches.

Didn't read through the thread, but OfficeMax honored the Staples $100 coupon on a 16GB Touchpad for me ... $324 after tax.

First impressions: Solid build, love the WebOS multitasking (not much experience with Android, but I like it better than iOS multitasking), seems speedy enough w/o overclock.

Unfortunately, the missing apps may kill this sweet deal. I was hoping to get a Remote Desktop app (Splashtop?), but there's not ine available yet (Splashtop is working on one). I was also less than overwhelmed by the video support. An MKV was unrecognized and an MP4 tried to play, but only showed a blank screen. Any help with RDP or media would be appreciated ...

An easy way to get this for $299/$399 through Best Buy

1. Call 1888 BEST BUY and tell operator you have a question about buying an item with price match. They will transfer you to sales.
2. Tell sales rep you want to buy the HP Touchpad Tablet but Staples has it for the same price with an extra $100 off with coupon. Ask for a price match.
3. Give sales rep your billing zip.
4. Best Buy will then look up and call all the Staples with in a 25 mile radius of your bill zip code.
5. IF the item is in stock in any one of those Staples stores you can place the order over the phone for the $299/$399 depending on the model.
The best buy rep said him and the office knew about the $100 Staples coupon so verifying the coupon was no problem.


Free ship to store of your choice, or pay for shipping, which would of been $8 for me.

The call took alittle while because they had to look up and call other Staples but this way you can get this price without leaving your house.

Thanks OP

To those that got OfficeMax to accept, can you share how you managed?

I went this morning to OfficeMax, asked to buy the 16gb Touchpad, went to check out and it rang up for $399. Gave them my Staples coupon and was informed they dont take it. Manager came and said same thing.

I just have to say, the relatively anemic response to this almost 50% price reduction of the Touchpad seems to me an ominous sign for HP. Sure, this thread has mild activity, but can you imagine if the iPad was reduced to even $400 through a similar deal?

swiharta said:   I just have to say, the relatively anemic response to this almost 50% price reduction of the Touchpad seems to me an ominous sign for HP. Sure, this thread has mild activity, but can you imagine if the iPad was reduced to even $400 through a similar deal?

the 16gb model costs in device alone $318 to produce. how much more can they discount?

All HP pc's will come with a VM of webos - so they can fullscreen emulate the device and run all the apps and do the marketplace. Soon. That is their only hope. Millions of desktop/laptops/servers(??!)/storage/printers all running webos.

I think webos has a life with that much critical mass - but yeah on the tablet alone - no way jose.


Btw there's a hacked kernel on webosbuzz that ups the speed to 1.5ghz

I completely agree, just sayin.

The iPad 2 and new Macbook Airs are in my mind some of the most fairly priced products Apple has ever released. The Apple allure and dominant ecosystem now makes it very for other companies to compete in the tablet / ultralight markets. I've never bought an Apple product in my life, mainly due to the high prices, but I'm closer than I've ever been.

Hochmania said:   To those that got OfficeMax to accept, can you share how you managed?

I went this morning to OfficeMax, asked to buy the 16gb Touchpad, went to check out and it rang up for $399. Gave them my Staples coupon and was informed they dont take it. Manager came and said same thing.

I just grabbed an employee on the floor and asked if they had the 16GB in stock. He went back and grabbed one, then I showed him the Staples coupon and asked if they still accepted competitor's coupons. He said yes, looked over the terms, and rang it up.

clunk said:   Hochmania said:   To those that got OfficeMax to accept, can you share how you managed?

I went this morning to OfficeMax, asked to buy the 16gb Touchpad, went to check out and it rang up for $399. Gave them my Staples coupon and was informed they dont take it. Manager came and said same thing.

I just grabbed an employee on the floor and asked if they had the 16GB in stock. He went back and grabbed one, then I showed him the Staples coupon and asked if they still accepted competitor's coupons. He said yes, looked over the terms, and rang it up.
Sigh, I asked in my local OfficeMax if they accepted competitors coupons and they denied taking any

Hochmania said:   To those that got OfficeMax to accept, can you share how you managed?

I went this morning to OfficeMax, asked to buy the 16gb Touchpad, went to check out and it rang up for $399. Gave them my Staples coupon and was informed they dont take it. Manager came and said same thing.


OfficeMax has their own $100 coupon for this item. I got an email from them before I got an email from Staples. There's also a coupon for $5 off $25 or more from OfficeMax. It does not exclude this item.

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds

webosbuzz

The govnah (preware) and 1.5ghz 3.02-22 uberkernel lets you run at 1.5ghz with no stability and not much battery suckage. GOVNAH lets you change the scheduler to improve responsiveness too.


I've heard there's a 1.7ghz kernel out there too - remember only when the cpu requires the cores to crank up (like intel turbo boost) does it use the extra power - so idling around you aren't sucking power. easy to remove too!

I wonder how much mojo this cpu has if it can get up to 2ghz for short periods of time

time to get linpack out.

F15C Eagle is 1.7ghz w00t! 2.0ghz is currently being tested they think we can hit 2.4ghz on demand on some!

Why is HP having a fire sale? Here Is an article with some insight. Read HP Touchpad desperately discounted

Article quotes:

"HPís calculated risk was devaluing the TouchPad in an attempt to build the user base: not so that it could dispose of unsold stock for warehouse space or to free even a little of the tied-up margin in each unit, but to get, one way or another, webOS in more hands and in front of more eyes."

"HPís aggressive cuts arenít a sign of short-term floundering but of long-term commitment."

cyfan2000 said:   I'm no lover or hater of any tablet OS's, but it does crack me up when people talk about these devices based on two criteria: 1) Does it have flash?and 2) Can I download hundreds of thousands of apps?
Those are two of the most important features.

Anyone with an iPad (and a brain) has realized that Steve Jobs was wrong about Flash and way too optimistic about the HTML5 timeline.
Until HTML5 is standardized and rolled out, Flash will be an important factor.

App support is also important. I don't necessarily want to download 100 apps. When I see a list of 100 apps, there will likely be a handful that I might enjoy. If there were only a handful of apps, there is a good chance I don't care about any of them. The more apps, the more I can pick from.

My biggest concern is HP's forward commitment. I was pretty upset how they handled the CE forcing people to upgrade hardware to get bugfixes.

trumsoVN said:   eBay...No line, no frustrate, no problem, no tax + free shipping...thanks!And pray you don't want to return it.

Returns for refund less 15% restock fee within 30 days.

The buyer is responsible for return shipping costs.

Too bad Staples did not accept the coupon yesterday afternoon. I was able to grab 2 32gb today but the 16gb were OOS online so could not place an order at the Kiosk for 299.99. I guess 32gb for 399.99 is not that bad of a deal either. Thinking of returning one! Any comments?

"We'll sell them at a loss, so that people will buy them. Later, we will raise prices and people... Won't buy them."

HP has had horrid management for a long, long time. This is just another example. I buy a lot of HP gear in my profession, for many years now. Their business practices don't make sense at times. Attempting to ascribe this pricing to some sort of long-term plan or strategy is funny--HP has shown that those are terms outside of their lexicon.

slickdeal45 said:   "We'll sell them at a loss, so that people will buy them. Later, we will raise prices and people... Won't buy them."

HP has had horrid management for a long, long time. This is just another example. I buy a lot of HP gear in my profession, for many years now. Their business practices don't make sense at times. Attempting to ascribe this pricing to some sort of long-term plan or strategy is funny--HP has shown that those are terms outside of their lexicon.


dude that's how all business goes - hook you with good rates and raise them. i'm sure you've heard of health insurance - house insurance/etc. 30% 1st year 20% 2nd year, 10% third year, (all while rates go up every year).

very classic business model

Cheapstuffs said:   Why is HP having a fire sale? Here Is an article with some insight. Read HP Touchpad desperately discounted

So if you bought the Touchpad, that was HP's plan. Get the WebOs in your hands to see if you will adopt and use it.

HP is a gigantic worldwide company. HP's posted net revenue in 2010 was $126.3 billion. The money they are loosing on the Touchpad is peanuts to them. HP purchased Palm/WebOs for 1.2 Billion with the intention to compete against Apple and Google.

Article quotes:

"HPís calculated risk was devaluing the TouchPad in an attempt to build the user base: not so that it could dispose of unsold stock for warehouse space or to free even a little of the tied-up margin in each unit, but to get, one way or another, webOS in more hands and in front of more eyes."

"HPís aggressive cuts arenít a sign of short-term floundering but of long-term commitment."


1. webos will come with every pc/laptop/server they make - that's a huge influx. straight up emulator so they can do some LION launch pad tricks.
2. their printers too those "FutureForward" windows CE printers suck azz. they need to ditch winCE and move to webos on all printers.

that will give them a metric ton of users - quickly

rigor said:   slickdeal45 said:   "We'll sell them at a loss, so that people will buy them. Later, we will raise prices and people... Won't buy them."

HP has had horrid management for a long, long time. This is just another example. I buy a lot of HP gear in my profession, for many years now. Their business practices don't make sense at times. Attempting to ascribe this pricing to some sort of long-term plan or strategy is funny--HP has shown that those are terms outside of their lexicon.


dude that's how all business goes - hook you with good rates and raise them. i'm sure you've heard of health insurance - house insurance/etc. 30% 1st year 20% 2nd year, 10% third year, (all while rates go up every year).

very classic business model


Netflix anyone?

I picked up a 32GB model from Staples and so far really dig it. I applied 3.0.2 patch and then added UberKernel to overclock to 1.5ghz and it is quite fast now. With overclocking, it's really hard to beat the price ($399 for 32gb!). SO far really liking webos as well.

There's a ton of goodies at webosbuzz nag the OP there to post up some more

KYBOSH said:   

Netflix anyone?


If you think the two are comparable, there's too much that you don't understand for anyone to explain it to you here.

Guys any kind man will sell me one of your 16GB Touchpad(if you got an extra) or don't like it and want to return?. I will pay $299.00 + Shipping Via priority mail(Please PM me). I am a regular user of FW failed to secure one from Staples. Today frys could price match(Yesterday's eBay price) to $350 + CA tax + Recycle Fee = $385.00. I don't want to pay $385 for it. I have the paper work frys gave me to pay at front desk. I didn't go to pay. Another thing i try to take the frys paperwork to BBY and OM see what they can do 110% PM. CA tax system is getting worst day by day on top of that recycle fee.

lkdash said:   Guys any kind man will sell me one of your 16GB Touchpad(if you got an extra) or don't like it and want to return?. I will pay $299.00 + Shipping Via priority mail(Please PM me).Still on the fence about keeping mine, but I had to pay tax in TX so my final cost was $324. I would think that would be the case for most FW'ers, so are you really saving that much over the Fry's price if you add shipping to that?


free (129.42kB)
Disclaimer
gapost said:   I don't think anyone has mentioned that the Touchpad and HP will give you a free, lifetime 50gb box.net storage account. That is a nice deal with the Touchpad.

http://blog.box.net/2011/07/01/bringing-box-to-hp-touchpad/




heck yeah!

Here's a little gift for you buyers of the Touchpad. FREE FREE FREE

Text

Here's a little gift for you buyers of the Touchpad. FREE FREE FREE

Text

well, looks like stores will put these on bigger clearance very soon.

hp to kill webos

Here's a little gift for you buyers of the Touchpad. FREE FREE FREE

Text

Whoa, who'd have thought, eh? Surprise, surprise.

Cheapstuffs said:   Why is HP having a fire sale? Here Is an article with some insight. Read HP Touchpad desperately discounted

Article quotes:

"HPís calculated risk was devaluing the TouchPad in an attempt to build the user base: not so that it could dispose of unsold stock for warehouse space or to free even a little of the tied-up margin in each unit, but to get, one way or another, webOS in more hands and in front of more eyes."

"HPís aggressive cuts arenít a sign of short-term floundering but of long-term commitment."


This long term commitment quote is now comical.


How will you deal with the 299 touchpads from Staples, Those FWer got them just days ago. Return and refund?

FIRE SALE!

fastness said:   How will you deal with the 299 touchpads from Staples, Those FWer got them just days ago. Return and refund? I would. This news means that HP will probably stop any kind of support for this in the future and no one is going to develop future apps/accessories. Why would they? If you still want one, it's almost certainly going to drop in price as they try to clearance it out.

everyone screwed !



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014