• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
Ahhk said:   rbraden said:   fatxman said:   7" version is coming soon

Maybe it's because I have a 4.3" smartphone which is already large enough for a lot of stuff, but i always look at the 7" tablets and think, really? People want a 7" tablet over a 10"? I think the iPad has proven which form factor people want. And the BB Playbook in the opposite way (by not selling any) has also proven the same thing.

RIP RIM.

Sorry, but I disagree. 10" tablets are great for media consumption (sitting down watching movies, browsing, etc). BUT, when it comes to practicality and functionality, the 7" is MUCH better IMHO. I also use my 7" Tab as a phone. It fits in my pocket and is with me all the time. A 10" tablet has to be carried (like a small/light laptop). Plus, even with my big hands, the 10" tablets are much harder to use while having to hold it (standing, walking, etc).

I think 7" is the perfect size for a truly mobile tablet. Big enough screen that its usable (unlike a phone) and small enough to still be convenient. I taunt all my friends that have 10" tablets - when they are needing their tablet for something and they "left it in the house/car" or "left it on their desk" and I say..."oh, but mines right here!" as I take it out of my pocket

Heck, if you're gonna use a 10" tablet, you might as well go for a 15" one (if they ever make them) for an even better visual experience.

Just sayin'.

also, what kind of pants allow you to fit a 7" tab in your pocket and how many women approach you inquiring about said tablet sticking out? I may need to borrow the wife's nook color this weekend

pwiddy said:   HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   awesomedeals said:   How is the build on this compared to the Samsung Galaxy?

Maybe if I could more easily get media on it I'd be glad it's a media player. But the 2 media players it comes with are a bit wonky and getting media on requires you use Asus app on your PC/Mac to move it over since it won't mount as a mass storage device. This is a big letdown to me. Supposedly DLNA works on it though, but I don't have a DLNA server anymore.

dude, it definitely DOES mount as usb storage...further, there's a usb port for goodness sake....plug in a usb stick or an external hadrdrive and play a movie (moboplayer works well). It's not exactly rocket science.

also I've found the camera to be good using it for google voice chat as well as pictures...also the video camera is impressive as well. You just come off like an apple fanboy.....maybe get an ipad?

No, it doesn't mount as USB storage.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1039105

It will mount USB storage, yes. But it doesn't mount as a USB storage device itself so that I can put content on it.

Because this thing has problems and the iPad doesn't have most of them (it doesn't mount as USB storage either though!) I'm an Apple fanboy? Sheesh. Way to try to turn product deficiencies into a fault of mine.

I don't comprehend your dilemma....sorry. I can connect the acer to my computer and transfer a file over to the microsd or the internal hd perfectly.... Are you saying it doesn't do that? Also, again, it has a usb port! Plug in an external hd or a thrumb drive and copy away. And the fanboy commment was more from you saying there were only two apps that are worthwhile for this device and it has a long way to go to rival ipad. I just feel like you're giving this device a bad wrap when you say things that blatantly aren't true...

The screen isn't IPS, but it's perfectly fine. It's a beautiful screen and, next to the Transformer, the Transformer screen quality is only better with the brightness cranked all the way up. The Iconia is actually better at displaying black levels.

It's my opinion that this tablet has the best build quality of all the Android tablets on the market right now...i.e., I think you have the greatest chance of dropping this one and not ending up with a busted tablet.

Also, the full size USB port on this thing is indispensable. I use a usb thumbdrive with this thing on a daily basis. If you're buying a tablet partially for media, you need/want a full sized USB.

Archon810 said:   Any screens confirming this deal please?

Don't ever doubt Mr. C's magic crystal ball *especially* when it's a Target deal I scored the Acer netbook deal at Target a few weeks back because of Mr. C's perfect prediction.

sideoutjj said:   vandbmdub said:   I'm curious about the red? This didn't seem to be too bad of a deal.

Still learning a lot of what is written here...but can someone enlighten mean by what the above statement means?... "I'm curious about the red"...

If you look on the far upper right hand side of messages there is a "rate message" with a minus (-) (red) or a plus (+) (green) choice. The red means that a member does not like the deal ...or in some cases the poster....and green means it is a good deal.

pwiddy said:   I don't comprehend your dilemma....sorry. I can connect the acer to my computer and transfer a file over to the microsd or the internal hd perfectly.... Are you saying it doesn't do that? Also, again, it has a usb port! Plug in an external hd or a thrumb drive and copy away. And the fanboy commment was more from you saying there were only two apps that are worthwhile for this device and it has a long way to go to rival ipad. I just feel like you're giving this device a bad wrap when you say things that blatantly aren't true...

Your computer is using MTP, not USB mass storage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

Not every computer does MTP.

I could plug an external HDD, but that makes it kind of non-portable, doesn't it? A tablet with a leash to a device on the table is a drag. I did plug in a USB key, but even a small one means you have to be careful holding the device, as if you knock it out the movie stops. I could copy the files to the tablet from the HDD/key, but there doesn't seem to be built-in, easy to use software that does it (heck, the movie playing software should do it automatically). I'm sure there is software out there to do it, in fact I have some that does it, but the particular app I have is rather poor. I'm a bit frustrated I have to find out how to solve this problem instead of the device doing it easily. Again, my understanding is it does this very easily with a DLNA server (wirelessly!) but I don't have a DLNA server.

What I said IS true. It doesn't mount as USB mass storage. Again, stop trying to make shortcomings of the device into faults of mine. I'm not insulting your offspring here, it's a device.

Perhaps two apps is a slight exaggeration, because YouTube works well for example. But I don't have a use for YouTube on this really. I'd have a great use for the Netflix app on this device, but it doesn't work on this device. The store doesn't even let me download it. I even tried sneaking it onto the device with a technique from androidpolice.com, but it still doesn't play movies once it is there.

As to this device having a long way to go to rival iPad, it does. A long long way. Netflix works on an iPad, for example. I believe in Google, which is why I bought it. It's also why I'm surprised it has so far to go. Honeycomb isn't very good right now. I really hope it gets better.

pwiddy said:   also, what kind of pants allow you to fit a 7" tab in your pocket and how many women approach you inquiring about said tablet sticking out? I may need to borrow the wife's nook color this weekend This is the style I go for: Link

pwiddy said:   Ahhk said:   rbraden said:   fatxman said:   7" version is coming soon

Maybe it's because I have a 4.3" smartphone which is already large enough for a lot of stuff, but i always look at the 7" tablets and think, really? People want a 7" tablet over a 10"? I think the iPad has proven which form factor people want. And the BB Playbook in the opposite way (by not selling any) has also proven the same thing.

RIP RIM.

Sorry, but I disagree. 10" tablets are great for media consumption (sitting down watching movies, browsing, etc). BUT, when it comes to practicality and functionality, the 7" is MUCH better IMHO. I also use my 7" Tab as a phone. It fits in my pocket and is with me all the time. A 10" tablet has to be carried (like a small/light laptop). Plus, even with my big hands, the 10" tablets are much harder to use while having to hold it (standing, walking, etc).

I think 7" is the perfect size for a truly mobile tablet. Big enough screen that its usable (unlike a phone) and small enough to still be convenient. I taunt all my friends that have 10" tablets - when they are needing their tablet for something and they "left it in the house/car" or "left it on their desk" and I say..."oh, but mines right here!" as I take it out of my pocket

Heck, if you're gonna use a 10" tablet, you might as well go for a 15" one (if they ever make them) for an even better visual experience.

Just sayin'.

also, what kind of pants allow you to fit a 7" tab in your pocket and how many women approach you inquiring about said tablet sticking out? I may need to borrow the wife's nook color this weekend

lol.

Fits in the pocket of my jeans, cargo shorts, sport shorts, sweat pants, and even my shirt pockets.

It's 2011....try wearing something other than a Speedo, man!

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   pwiddy said:   I don't comprehend your dilemma....sorry. I can connect the acer to my computer and transfer a file over to the microsd or the internal hd perfectly.... Are you saying it doesn't do that? Also, again, it has a usb port! Plug in an external hd or a thrumb drive and copy away. And the fanboy commment was more from you saying there were only two apps that are worthwhile for this device and it has a long way to go to rival ipad. I just feel like you're giving this device a bad wrap when you say things that blatantly aren't true...

Your computer is using MTP, not USB mass storage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

Not every computer does MTP.

I could plug an external HDD, but that makes it kind of non-portable, doesn't it? A tablet with a leash to a device on the table is a drag. I did plug in a USB key, but even a small one means you have to be careful holding the device, as if you knock it out the movie stops. I could copy the files to the tablet from the HDD/key, but there doesn't seem to be built-in, easy to use software that does it (heck, the movie playing software should do it automatically). I'm sure there is software out there to do it, in fact I have some that does it, but the particular app I have is rather poor. I'm a bit frustrated I have to find out how to solve this problem instead of the device doing it easily. Again, my understanding is it does this very easily with a DLNA server (wirelessly!) but I don't have a DLNA server.

What I said IS true. It doesn't mount as USB mass storage. Again, stop trying to make shortcomings of the device into faults of mine. I'm not insulting your offspring here, it's a device.

Perhaps two apps is a slight exaggeration, because YouTube works well for example. But I don't have a use for YouTube on this really. I'd have a great use for the Netflix app on this device, but it doesn't work on this device. The store doesn't even let me download it. I even tried sneaking it onto the device with a technique from androidpolice.com, but it still doesn't play movies once it is there.

As to this device having a long way to go to rival iPad, it does. A long long way. Netflix works on an iPad, for example. I believe in Google, which is why I bought it. It's also why I'm surprised it has so far to go. Honeycomb isn't very good right now. I really hope it gets better.

as far as the mtp thing...learn something new everyday. It works in windows versions > xp......which im willing to bet includes most users here. If you're running a linux box or whatever else that it doesn't work for I have no advice other than plug in a usb stick for a few minutes, download one of the many file explorers for android and use that copy it to the internal or microsd card. Again, it's not that difficult. Your main gripe seems to be with the software that comes on the device. So download another piece of software? There's a ton of free great software on the android market. I've never personally setup an ipad but I would be willing to be that there are better 3rd party apps out there than the ones that come factory installed.

Ahhk said:   pwiddy said:   Ahhk said:   rbraden said:   fatxman said:   7" version is coming soon

lol.

Fits in the pocket of my jeans, cargo shorts, sport shorts, sweat pants, and even my shirt pockets.

It's 2011....try wearing something other than a Speedo, man!

it's 2011, why would I wear anything other than a Speedo man!

sideoutjj said:   vandbmdub said:   I'm curious about the red? This didn't seem to be too bad of a deal.

Still learning a lot of what is written here...but can someone enlighten mean by what the above statement means?... "I'm curious about the red"...

Still asking...

Answered 5 posts above yours.

He wants to know why people are giving him red (bad reviews) of his deal. In the OP you can give green if you like a post or red if you don't.

RE:
Pay tax on this

Not all of us pay sales tax.
Some get 20% off of eBay FVF and just 50Ę to list.

Green for OP. Good deal for those who missed out on the Staples deal 3 weeks ago which was 299.99 after $100 coupon.

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   I have one of these from an earlier deal. I would recommend against it.

It doesn't mount as a storage device (Acer policy). And so many apps just aren't available for Honeycomb anyway.

The two apps that are worthwhile are the browser and maps. And the maps crashes if you turn on the features and start scrolling around.

It's really tough to me to figure out how this thing is worth $400 or even $300. Google has a lot of work ahead of them on Honeycomb before it's any kind of rival for an iPad.

Sounds like PBSAC (problem between screen and chair). It afflicts many iUsers.

peas said:   HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   I have one of these from an earlier deal. I would recommend against it.

It doesn't mount as a storage device (Acer policy). And so many apps just aren't available for Honeycomb anyway.

The two apps that are worthwhile are the browser and maps. And the maps crashes if you turn on the features and start scrolling around.

It's really tough to me to figure out how this thing is worth $400 or even $300. Google has a lot of work ahead of them on Honeycomb before it's any kind of rival for an iPad.

Sounds like PBSAC (problem between screen and chair). It afflicts many iUsers.

Keep reading the thread further, buddy. If you can explain how the Economist app not being on Honeycomb or the Netflix app not being available for this device is due to an error of mine, I'd really love to hear it.

I know hating on Apple is popular, but poking at me isn't going to make these problems go away for anyone else.

MISTERCHEAP said:   GeorgeGarman said:   Will target allow buying this week and return/re-buy for the gift card next week?

always YMMV, but the last time they had a similiar deal on the netbook in July (same promo w/GC), yes, people were able to successfully do it.

Short version - not likely. The item has to be in stock and the purchase must be done at the electronics area, not at CS. My store had 4 in stock this morning.

OK.... this does GPS, right? Not A-GPS?

I just returned the HP Tough- nice tablet, had some issues, wouldn't do bluetooth with anything but a webOS phone- angry birds was awesome, youtube good- Skype a pain in the ass to use...

How does this stack up on those? Working email was not very practical on it.

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   I have one of these from an earlier deal. I would recommend against it.

I own an Iconia, and doubt you do. Apple fanboys invading FW again.

purduephotog said:   OK.... this does GPS, right? Not A-GPS?

I just returned the HP Tough- nice tablet, had some issues, wouldn't do bluetooth with anything but a webOS phone- angry birds was awesome, youtube good- Skype a pain in the ass to use...

How does this stack up on those? Working email was not very practical on it.

Yes, GPS. And it is awesome.

I picked one up when Target gave the $50 gc and am absolutely happy with the tablet. Give the gc to your spouse and everyone will be happy.

DirectTV Sunday Ticket on Aconia A500
Disclaimer
poison7FL said:   HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   I have one of these from an earlier deal. I would recommend against it.

I own an Iconia, and doubt you do. Apple fanboys invading FW again.

Please stop insulting me. Please stop trying to blame me for the problems this tablet has.

As an example of how crummy the apps are on Android (at least Honeycomb), attached is a picture of the DirecTV Sunday Ticket app running on my Aconia A500 Tab I clearly don't even own according to you.

See how the crappy app doesn't even bother to scale up to the full screen? It does on an iPad! If you are expecting an iPad user experience, don't buy an Android Honeycomb tablet. At least, not just yet.

In Honeycomb 3.2, this issue of a small screen app window is addressed.

I upgraded my ASUS transformer pad to Honeycomb 3.2 and it made the Bejeweled app full screen when it originally came up as a small app window.

Options in 3.2 are:

1. Stretch to fill screen.
2. Zoom to fill screen.

Here is an explanation for the options:

Stretched apps will look exactly as they do with current Honeycomb tablets running version 3.0 or 3.1; that is, the apps will stretch to fill the screen. Google notes in its developerís blog that many apps stretch just fine and look acceptable on the big screen, in which case, developers can disable the user option.

Zoom mode takes a page out of iOS and the iPad by running the apps at smartphone resolution, and then zooms in on them to fill the screen. This results in a pixilated app that may be preferable should stretching ruin the appís functionality.

You have to wait until Acer releases Honeycomb 3.2.

Cheapstuffs said:   In Honeycomb 3.2, this issue of a small screen app window is addressed.
(snip)
You have to wait until Acer releases Honeycomb 3.2.

That's good news. I'm sure the software will get better. There may be fanboys who deny this software is deficient but I doubt Google is kidding themselves about it. They know it doesn't compete with the iPad well right now. But I'm sure they won't give up, it'll get better over time.

But I also think buying a device based upon expectations that it'll become good later are risky. Best to just wait to buy until it works well, if you wait, you'll get more for your money anyway (32GB, etc.). Or if you need something right now, get an iPad unless Asus can cut the price enough to make it worth accepting a lesser device.

Seems like a real fire sale on Android tablets these days...are they that bad?

The acer Iconia screen is not as bright or the text is not as sharp and the colors not as vibrant as the Samsung tab 10.1 or the Asus transformer. For the money, the transformer offers more. But, for the price the Aconia is good, just not as good as the other two.

BTW, Android tablets are getting pressure from apple for design copying, so the future of what you buy now may not bode well!

cpabster said:   Seems like a real fire sale on Android tablets these days...are they that bad?

Software-wise: yes. Honeycomb simply must get better. And developers need to support it, right now many omit Honeycomb support.

Hardware-wise, it's a mixed bag. Some are quite good. There are several which are inarguably better than an iPad 1 all around. Some might even say some are better than an iPad 2 all-around.

cpabster said:   Seems like a real fire sale on Android tablets these days...are they that bad?

Tablets are basically big mobile phones with larger screens to improve functions like basic web browsing, watching movies, etc. While the iPad has carved itself a nice niche for people with >$500 burning a hole in their pocket, the market for better Android tablets may not that big, particularly with all of the economic gloom and doom in the news. Most buyers are focused on price, willing to compromise on performance to get a good deal.

As the software, hardware improves, expect the better 10" units to remain around the $400 - $500 price point, various levels of discounting for those that miss the mark for one reason or another, retailers attempting to move inventory as new models are introduced.

shank said:   cpabster said:   Seems like a real fire sale on Android tablets these days...are they that bad?

Tablets are basically big mobile phones with larger screens to improve functions like basic web browsing, watching movies, etc. While the iPad has carved itself a nice niche for people with >$500 burning a hole in their pocket, the market for better Android tablets may not that big, particularly with all of the economic gloom and doom in the news. Most buyers are focused on price, willing to compromise on performance to get a good deal.

As the software, hardware improves, expect the better 10" units to remain around the $400 - $500 price point, various levels of discounting for those that miss the mark for one reason or another, retailers attempting to move inventory as new models are introduced.

I think Windows 7 tablets in the $300-$400 price range could be game changers because they could serve as a desktop PC by connecting a keyboard and a monitor, serve as media player with the HDMI out, and be an all purpose reader/video streamer

I see no reason to have a home PC or a laptop if tablets become good enough to plug them in to a screen and keyboard on my desk

MISTERCHEAP said:   I think there's still a bit of truth to that. People use all kinds of methods to sell them (Craigslist, overseas buyers, etc). Even if the profit margin is 10-20% (and maybe higher), you can bet someone who is dealing in volume can make a few hundred flipping 15 or 20 of them.20% profit isn't gonna happen. After tax this unit is gonna cost you about $320+, and after all your fees you *might* make $15 per unit. That doesn't consider the risk - one deal gone bad destroys puts you in the red across the board,and we all know what PayPal is like.

Anyone who's willing to go thru that much hassle to make $15 is welcome to it.

Ahhh, for the good old days of Dell deals...

dvpatel said:   Archon810 said:   Any screens confirming this deal please?
Dude. At least check who the OP is before casting doubt.

Right on.

germanpope said:   shank said:   cpabster said:   Seems like a real fire sale on Android tablets these days...are they that bad?

I think Windows 7 tablets in the $300-$400 price range could be game changers because they could serve as a desktop PC by connecting a keyboard and a monitor, serve as media player with the HDMI out, and be an all purpose reader/video streamer

I see no reason to have a home PC or a laptop if tablets become good enough to plug them in to a screen and keyboard on my desk

Not quite. I just bought the Iconia W500 a few weeks back, which is the Win7 version of this, but with a REAL processor (dual core Atom). Price was $500, minus $50 new customer promotion from Newegg biz, plus a $50 GC - effectively $400. The limitation is memory - has a 32 GB SSD, I added a 32 GB SD card for file storage. The "hard drive" is not upgradeable, offering something larger will drive up the price. This severely limits programs - enough for basic functions, including the full version of Office 2010, but not what I would expect from a desktop. The keyboard / dock is very useful, includes an ethernet, extra USB ports. I am quite happy with the purchase, would do it again.

kenblakely said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   I think there's still a bit of truth to that. People use all kinds of methods to sell them (Craigslist, overseas buyers, etc). Even if the profit margin is 10-20% (and maybe higher), you can bet someone who is dealing in volume can make a few hundred flipping 15 or 20 of them.20% profit isn't gonna happen. After tax this unit is gonna cost you about $320+, and after all your fees you *might* make $15 per unit. That doesn't consider the risk - one deal gone bad destroys puts you in the red across the board,and we all know what PayPal is like.

Anyone who's willing to go thru that much hassle to make $15 is welcome to it.

Ahhh, for the good old days of Dell deals...

there are no "fees" to sell on craigslist or "under table" deals.

I just needed to post as I'm laughing very hard-

I went to buy this at Target, not knowing WalMart had it (I was going to PM Staples).

At target the gentleman got out one unit- and behind it was another one with a 'repackaged' sticker- listing for 279$. I asked if it qualified and he doubted it... but rang it in anyway.

It did.

$279 - 100$ GC = $179.

Now, of course, my wife gets the Gift Card so she can buy.... shoes.

purduephotog said:   I just needed to post as I'm laughing very hard-

I went to buy this at Target, not knowing WalMart had it (I was going to PM Staples).

At target the gentleman got out one unit- and behind it was another one with a 'repackaged' sticker- listing for 279$. I asked if it qualified and he doubted it... but rang it in anyway.

It did.

$279 - 100$ GC = $179.

Now, of course, my wife gets the Gift Card so she can buy.... shoes.
Nice deal. Did you use your RedCard, too? Would have saved an extra $9.

I don't think your points are entirely valid. These are easy to jailbreak and you can install stock Honeycomb in it with little problems. While you could make the argument that iPads seem to be better put together and a bit better user experience, I don't think the difference is big enough to be worth twice the cost ($300 vs $600-ish).

t00rd said:   HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   I have one of these from an earlier deal. I would recommend against it.

I don't think your points are entirely valid. These are easy to jailbreak and you can install stock Honeycomb in it with little problems. While you could make the argument that iPads seem to be better put together and a bit better user experience, I don't think the difference is big enough to be worth twice the cost ($300 vs $600-ish).

Stock Honeycomb source is not available for download right now, so going vanilla would seem not to be an option. Acer's version isn't much customized anyway, they don't have a custom UI or anything, just their own special apps. So Vanilla Honeycomb is not going to fix the problems this device has either. It isn't going to make the Netflix app appear. Or the Economist app for Honeycomb.

Why do you say an iPad is $600? It's $500. This is a 16GB unit, a 16GB iPad is $500.

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   

Why do you say an iPad is $600? It's $500. This is a 16GB unit, a 16GB iPad is $500.

$500 vs $300. Tomato. To-mah-to. And yes, you can root it and install the leaked Netflix apk, btw.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014