• Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
Hasn't all tablets dropped by $100.00 now.

t00rd said:   HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   

Why do you say an iPad is $600? It's $500. This is a 16GB unit, a 16GB iPad is $500.

$500 vs $300. Tomato. To-mah-to. And yes, you can root it and install the leaked Netflix apk, btw.

I did that. It still doesn't play.

'Sorry, we could not reach the Netflix service. Please try again later. If the problems persists please visit the Netflix website (12001).' The app runs if I backdoor install it, , but it won't play video.

$300 isn't enough savings to put up with something that doesn't do what I need it to do, even if I find sly techniques on the net to hack-install apps.

btw, you can't root a 3.1 Iconia anymore with GingerBreak, but there is an app called IconiaRoot that works even better. I mention this since google searches still point at GingerBreak, you have to look a little further for IconiaRoot.

Again, stop trying to say flaws in this tablet are really problems with me.

shank said:    --- Not quite. I just bought the Iconia W500 a few weeks back, which is the Win7 version of this, but with a REAL processor (dual core Atom). Price was $500, minus $50 new customer promotion from Newegg biz, plus a $50 GC - effectively $400. The limitation is memory - has a 32 GB SSD, I added a 32 GB SD card for file storage. The "hard drive" is not upgradeable, offering something larger will drive up the price. This severely limits programs - enough for basic functions, including the full version of Office 2010, but not what I would expect from a desktop. The keyboard / dock is very useful, includes an ethernet, extra USB ports. I am quite happy with the purchase, would do it again.

thanks for the relaying your experience ... sounds like what you got would serve my purposes ... since I can wait a bit, we will see what kind of product/price ratio the holiday season brings

No fee for Craigslist?
Sure there are. I'd call getting robbed a pretty potential "fee".

Costco - any one there right now? are they price matching all of the other retailers (target, WalMart, BB)?

These were $429ish there yesterday.

shank said:    --- Not quite. I just bought the Iconia W500 a few weeks back, which is the Win7 version of this, but with a REAL processor (dual core Atom). Price was $500, minus $50 new customer promotion from Newegg biz, plus a $50 GC - effectively $400. The limitation is memory - has a 32 GB SSD, I added a 32 GB SD card for file storage. The "hard drive" is not upgradeable, offering something larger will drive up the price. This severely limits programs - enough for basic functions, including the full version of Office 2010, but not what I would expect from a desktop. The keyboard / dock is very useful, includes an ethernet, extra USB ports. I am quite happy with the purchase, would do it again.Windoze tablets have their advantages, but the big drawbacks are weight and shorter battery life. Intel's mobile chipsets, even the most power frugal, suck down significantly more power than their ARM counterparts. I know, I've worked with Windows tablets for years and those are some of the reasons why Microsoft was never able to push tablets into the mainstream. As another FW'er posted, Windows being a fat & heavy OS, 32GB for the OS can get tight pretty quickly. It's really a different class of tablets.

peas said:   [Windoze tablets have their advantages, but the big drawbacks are weight and shorter battery life. Intel's mobile chipsets, even the most power frugal, suck down significantly more power than their ARM counterparts.

I agree, Windows tablets with x86 processors require a lot more resources and that means more battery. And mostly all they bring is the ability to run Windows apps. For those of us who don't need that, ARM seems like it has a huge advantage. Apple is never going to license their OS, so it would seem like Android will be the natural winner in tablets. Perhaps this is why Microsoft is working on Windows for ARM. Still, if they can't manage to not just adapt it but trim it down to size, I can't see it fending off Apple and Android.

Just got mine this morning, there were 3 other people trying to get it but I got away with the last one they had in stock.
By the way in CA you pay $6 recycling fee.

bought 2. one for me and one for wifey. now, what to do with $200 in gc.....

Swung by Target late Sunday night. It was still available, I just couldn't make up my mind about it. I've seen used Eee Pads and first-gen iPads for <$300. I'm not one to care about things being "used", so I might just end up picking up one of those.

Do any tablets besides Ipad2 offer 3G capability?

Thanks so much!

skinflinto said:   Do any tablets besides Ipad2 offer 3G capability?

Thanks so much!

I believe Acer is about to release a new 10" Iconia Tab like this except 32GB and with 3G capability. A501. No word on whether it'll come out in the US.

Thanks, Happy Scrappy!

That's what I need and I imagine there are others in the same boat! To me, it seems like a no brainer for companies to at least try to stiffen the competition with Sir Apple by offering a 3G tablet.

skinflinto said:   Do any tablets besides Ipad2 offer 3G capability?

Thanks so much!
The 7" version says it comes with 4G built in according to Amazon.

Link

Amazon said: Acer Iconia A100-07u16u Tablet comes with these high level Specs: NVIDIA Tegra™ 2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor, The latest build of Android™ Honeycomb™ Operating System, 7" WSVGA Multi-touch Display, NVIDIA GeForce Graphics, 1024MB DDR2 Memory, 16GB internal storage, MicroSC Memory Slot (up to 32GB), Dolby Mobile Technology, 802.11b/g/n Wireless, Built-in 4G technology, 5MP Rear facing Webcam & 2MP Front Facing Webcam, 1 - Micro USB 2.0 Port & 1 - USB 2.0 Port, Micro-HDMI Out, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, Rechargeable Li-Polymer Battery (1530 mAh cell x 2), Up to 5-hours Battery Life, Acer Clear.fi™, Acer Sync, .92lbs. | 416g (tablet only)

Learn all about the Iconia Tab A500 and its little brother the Iconia Tab A100 at http://iconiatabforums.com

skinflinto said:   Thanks, Happy Scrappy!

That's what I need and I imagine there are others in the same boat! To me, it seems like a no brainer for companies to at least try to stiffen the competition with Sir Apple by offering a 3G tablet.

There's also the Motorola (now Google) Xoom. It's rather expensive though.

DealEsq said:   bought 2. one for me and one for wifey. now, what to do with $200 in gc.....
I also bought 2. The nice cashier rang them up one at a time. Used the $100 GC on the second one.
The surprise to me was both units were taxed at the $299 purchase price, rather than being taxed on the $399 purchase price.
Got home charged it up for a few hours. Browsed on xda-developer forums. Had it rooted, backed-up and and a custom ROM flashed to it, in no time.

i'd like to get this online, but target's page does not show the 100$ GC, anyone? thanks.

You can Netflix to work if you follow the instructions here.

brandonw said:   You can Netflix to work if you follow the instructions here.

I rooted and installed that file. For me, like for many others it didn't work, I still get the 12001 error.

Just picked this up today. Does anybody know if this will work with the directv sunday ticket? Will it ultimately work with blockbuster.com or Netflix (android update?). If this doesn't work with sunday ticket it's going back.

kriskos4 said:   Just picked this up today. Does anybody know if this will work with the directv sunday ticket? Will it ultimately work with blockbuster.com or Netflix (android update?). If this doesn't work with sunday ticket it's going back.

Sunday Ticket app runs on it, but I don't have Sunday Ticket so I wasn't able to see if the video in the app works or if the video is full screen.

Netflix doesn't work, hopefully it will at some point. There is a hack to make it work, the hack doesn't work for me and many others.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014