• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
eBay Daily Deals has the Logitech Revue With Google TV for $89.99 with Free Shipping.

Link

Member Summary

Logitech Revue With Google TV
Thanks MVP9596
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
This link might help.

dealonly (Sep. 26, 2011 @ 8:18p) |

Thanks it was helpful.

JB137 (Sep. 28, 2011 @ 9:20p) |

well the summer is over and still no update... epic fail google.

dpmadis (Sep. 29, 2011 @ 7:15a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What does the "HDMI port in" on this device for?

lovecd said:   What does the "HDMI port in" on this device for?

So you can run your cable or sat box into the revue. If you want to know more, read this.

I have 2 of these - Fantastic Units !

Great for Netflix, Youtube and reading FatWallet on the bigscreen !

What more can you ask for ??

I have one of these and it's great for watching flash video off of video sites. That was the major selling point to me. The only thing this box doesn't offer is Hulu.

Just purchased one of these to replace my WD TV Live Plus. So far I haven't looked back, 99% of the content I watch is streamed online and this box does it without a problem. The Netflix integration is sweet, haven't tried the hack to get Hulu on this thing, although I might wait and see what the forthcoming appstore (it will get here, eventually!) will provide or the chance Google will purchase Hulu.

Scottiedug said:   Just purchased one of these to replace my WD TV Live Plus. So far I haven't looked back, 99% of the content I watch is streamed online and this box does it without a problem. The Netflix integration is sweet, haven't tried the hack to get Hulu on this thing, although I might wait and see what the forthcoming appstore (it will get here, eventually!) will provide or the chance Google will purchase Hulu.

Unless there's a new Hulu hack, the old one hasn't worked for months. If anyone has a Hulu hack that still works, please share...

Can I connect my external portable hard drive through usb to this unit, and it will play those MKV video files?


wildbottom said:   It's a warm deal. It's $99 at Amz.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Companion-Google-Keyboard-Control...


Isn't $89.99 better deal than $99.99? Wasn't it $199.99 about two months ago? Was going to buy it for $99.99, but I will take $10 savings! Thanks OP! Just ordered one! Go Gators!

lovecd said:   Can I connect my external portable hard drive through usb to this unit, and it will play those MKV video files?

yes it plays most movie files.Only problem with dvd copied on hard drive.For me there is alwayes no sound for copied dvd

$99.99 is the MSRP on these now (even at Logitech.com). 10% off MSRP isn't much, but it is the lowest price on these that I've seen.

Logitech was supposed to release a new firmware for Revue to support Android 2.(3) and have Market installed. The expectations were to get this by the end of summer. Google has announced the new GoogleTV SDK two weeks ago.
The only question I have: will Logitech support existing hardware or will they try to push you into buying a new "revolutionary" device. If you will be able to upgrade the firmware on this old Revue - the deal is awesome.

ProppaT said:   Scottiedug said:   Just purchased one of these to replace my WD TV Live Plus. So far I haven't looked back, 99% of the content I watch is streamed online and this box does it without a problem. The Netflix integration is sweet, haven't tried the hack to get Hulu on this thing, although I might wait and see what the forthcoming appstore (it will get here, eventually!) will provide or the chance Google will purchase Hulu.

Unless there's a new Hulu hack, the old one hasn't worked for months. If anyone has a Hulu hack that still works, please share...


I thought the GTVhacker hack still worked...

linky

Unless that no longer works?

goubar said:   Logitech was supposed to release a new firmware for Revue to support Android 2.(3) and have Market installed. The expectations were to get this by the end of summer. Google has announced the new GoogleTV SDK two weeks ago.
The only question I have: will Logitech support existing hardware or will they try to push you into buying a new "revolutionary" device. If you will be able to upgrade the firmware on this old Revue - the deal is awesome.
The Revue's hardware feels like it has power to spare with the current OS. I can't imagine that it wouldn't have enough horsepower to run Gingerbread or whatever flavor of Android Google settles on.

BTW, there are YouTube videos that show how the Revue works with a leaked version of Gingerbread. The leaked version is a mixed bag of better and worse. Search is better and that's the main upside. The downsides are that some of the current apps are not compatible w/Gingerbread and there are only ~6 apps available in the Marketplace that are compatible with the Revue. I'm glad Google is waiting to release the upgrade.

excoriatorb said:   goubar said:   Logitech was supposed to release a new firmware for Revue to support Android 2.(3) and have Market installed. The expectations were to get this by the end of summer. Google has announced the new GoogleTV SDK two weeks ago.
The only question I have: will Logitech support existing hardware or will they try to push you into buying a new "revolutionary" device. If you will be able to upgrade the firmware on this old Revue - the deal is awesome.
The Revue's hardware feels like it has power to spare with the current OS. I can't imagine that it wouldn't have enough horsepower to run Gingerbread or whatever flavor of Android Google settles on.

BTW, there are YouTube videos that show how the Revue works with a leaked version of Gingerbread. The leaked version is a mixed bag of better and worse. Search is better and that's the main upside. The downsides are that some of the current apps are not compatible w/Gingerbread and there are only ~6 apps available in the Marketplace that are compatible with the Revue. I'm glad Google is waiting to release the upgrade.


I think the Revue has a 1.2Ghz Atom CPU on-board along with 4GB of memory. Can't imagine the old Revue would be not be able to run the new firmware, lots of power available available. I guess it would also be in Google's interests to keep the power requirements down anyway, allowing more manufacturers to build/integrate cost effective solutions for GTV.

For the person asking about hulu it should work soon. Google is trying to buy but in the meantime there is a fix that uses orb to play hulu. Now once 3.1 honeycomb comes in the next couple of weeks this device will be great again. You will have the market and alot of working apps. Right now the 3.1 beta has problems witha bunch of apps but fixes are on way.

Can I connect it to my 2.1 audio system? It seemed to me that there is only one S/PID digital output. Any thoughts?

boarder3 said:   For the person asking about hulu it should work soon. Google is trying to buy but in the meantime there is a fix that uses orb to play hulu. Now once 3.1 honeycomb comes in the next couple of weeks this device will be great again. You will have the market and alot of working apps. Right now the 3.1 beta has problems witha bunch of apps but fixes are on way.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like everything that is wrong with android. It will work better in the *next* release ... never the one on the device.

If this device does what you want *now* - go for it, as stated, it's 10% less than it has been.

If you are counting on updates, or want it to do something like use SMB shares, think twice - is that $10 off worth not being able to return it ?

will it play .rm files

I paid $99 a couple of months ago for just the damn keyboard. damnit.

Will this thing choke on a hi def signal?

I tried using on my Netbook to watch games using NFL preseason and there wasn't enough power.

I have a dishnetwork vip722k connected to my main TV in family room. I have another TV in the bedroom. I want to access this in my bedroom where there is no dvr. Where will I have to place this
1. in the family room where my vip722k resides?
2. in my bedroom where I want to use?

Both rooms are in different floors.

Pl. advice.

Ended up getting one. Had to chuckle: standard shipping was free. Expedited shipping, which reduced the delivery date from Sept. 22nd to Sept 20nd, was not exactly a deal at $69 extra...

I had to call Tech support last week for something stupid, and the tech guy said a new update will be released next month with Honeycomb. If thats the case- this will be a sweet box at only $99.

well this could be beneficial now

Same 89.99 price on TD site but with 4% F/W Cash Back. Says free shipping but then wants to add $8.18. Good luck.

Slingbox will be working on GoogleTV support, or there are root hacks that might allow you to run the android slingplayer app...finally a cheap slingcatcher alternative is in sight

Slingbox Google TV Beta Signup

Some people say that Many new Blu-ray players can do the similar (connect to the Internet for stream video). Please offer some insides and experiences here. Thanks!

oakind said:   I had to call Tech support last week for something stupid, and the tech guy said a new update will be released next month with Honeycomb. If thats the case- this will be a sweet box aor only $99.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, oh what a Christmas there would be.

I agree though, *if* this box gets a honeycomb update, it will be a *much* better deal.

I don't see the update coming, simply for the fact that google will not have GINGERBREAD running on intel hardware until next year. But honeycomb will be out for this intel based box next month ???? I don't believe it.

I don't follow android stuff that closely, though, nor am I on top of the current hacks/roms for this thing - so if someone has some links to show that this is believable, that would be welcome.

calvin888 said:   Some people say that Many new Blu-ray players can do the similar (connect to the Internet for stream video). Please offer some insides and experiences here. Thanks!

True, but this comes with a keyboard and can run a browser on your TV, making it a true internet appliance (and thus making the keyboard very useful). Network-equipped blu-ray players are mainly about streaming video services like Netflix, Hulu, etc.---not so much for interactive web surfing.

Still trying to figure out how to use this with no cable box...just coax.
INB4 pay 4 digital cable
INB4 OP is a roodypoo
INB4 cant be done

ntrvnxn said:   Still trying to figure out how to use this with no cable box...just coax.
INB4 pay 4 digital cable
INB4 OP is a roodypoo
INB4 cant be done


You don't need a cable box to use it ... you connect it to your home network and plug it in your tv. It just won't be able to integrate the TV guide into search results, and it won't be able to control your cable box, because you don't have one.

I'll assume you were able to google and find this:
http://blog.logitech.com/2010/10/08/logitech-revue-works-with-your-current-cable-or-satellite-provider/

But you just don't want to hear 'can't be done' ???

I bought this Magnavox MDR-513H/F7 from WalMart
It has a Built-in ATSC/NTSC tuner and also a HDMI output. I think it will plug in the OTA content into Revue just like the cable box.

KTG is right - The Keyboard is the sweet spot for this. I sold my Apple TV when I bought this. THe keyboard is RF Wireless - not Infared - you do not need line of sight.

With a TV, Blueray. Roku, Apple TV you have to hunt and peck with the remote arrows using a onscreen letter block.

Logitech Revue - just type and go. Very simple. That is where the value is for me in this thing. It has a mouse touchpad, like the laptop mouse control for cursor movement, to move the cursor around the screen.

It is definetly a easy unit to use.

Also Bloated Elvis said 'If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, oh what a Christmas there would be."
I will just sit around scratching mine until they do a Honeycomd update, I'll be entertained either way.


ktg said:   calvin888 said:   Some people say that Many new Blu-ray players can do the similar (connect to the Internet for stream video). Please offer some insides and experiences here. Thanks!

True, but this comes with a keyboard and can run a browser on your TV, making it a true internet appliance (and thus making the keyboard very useful). Network-equipped blu-ray players are mainly about streaming video services like Netflix, Hulu, etc.---not so much for interactive web surfing.

how well does this work with uverse -> google tv -> receiver -> tv ?

or does that many hdmi hops cause problems?

dealonly said:   I bought this Magnavox MDR-513H/F7 from WalMart
It has a Built-in ATSC/NTSC tuner and also a HDMI output. I think it will plug in the OTA content into Revue just like the cable box.


But all, afaik, the revue is getting from the cable box is GUIDE information. So when you search for 'xyz' - it can tell you when xyz is on. You may get an index of stuff you DVR'ed ... but what else do you get out of plugging this recorder in ? Curious.

( I would like to be able to justify a reason for buying the revue to play with, just not coming up with a good one, that's why I am interested in this topic )

Looks like there's a new honeycomb leak which seems to indicate Logitech hasn't abandoned the device.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/09/14/video-logitech-revue-receives-second-honeycomb-leak-market-receives-apps-made-for-tv/#more-46154

I am not an Android fan, bought one a month or so ago to replace an HTPC. It is truly plug and play, compatible with any satellite, cable HD provider, with great audio, video.

That said, I share BloatedElvis' sentiment that Android is still not quite ready for primetime. For example, one of my primary interest in the Revue is to watch college football on ESPN3, movies on HBOgo. When I first received the Revue, I confirmed that both sites worked - good to go. On College Football opening night (last Thursday), I opened the site, only to find that it was recently updated to flash 10.2, while the Revue is still 10.1 - no video stream !?!. Fortunately, my bedroom Revo 3610 is connected to a 37" LCD display, was able to watch the game.

I contacted Logitech Revue support, who advised that a Senior VP has drawn a line in the sand, the OS upgrade WILL be released no later than Sept 28. There are still some bugs in the leaked versions, appears that it will not be possible to install the final version, best to wait.

Do not expect much - most all apps are written for a COMPLETELY different architecture - ARM processors found in cell phone, tablets, rather than the dual core Atom in the Revue. In other words, don't expect apps that have not been written specifically for the Revue to work properly. Adobe is now up to Flash 10.3, which means that the Revue will not be able to browse all web sites, will soon require another update, as I have been led to believe that Honeycomb will only recognize 10.2.

Skipping 43 Messages...
well the summer is over and still no update... epic fail google.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014