• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
The upcoming Costco Coupon Book is out. Posted here and also on other deal sites.

Tires are still Michelin ($70 off)
Nutella is up again (just bought it last week, o well when it's so short they'll adjust) $2.50 off
Huggies Diapers (Pull ups actually) and Kirkland Wipes (I know some don't like 'em, but they're a good deal.)
The box of Mobil 1 is $10 off.
Swiffer stuff $3 off
Aluminum Foil $3.50 off (What happened to the "i" in Aluminium?)
Snapple and the Angus Cheeseburger.

and a whole bunch of Vitamins and Supplements ... just look for yourself

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Excellent, I got the Brita water pitcher. That's a good deal for $7 off. That will go well with the Keurig I picked up... (more)

advocatus (Oct. 25, 2011 @ 7:43p) |

-----
Did they show you the date code on those tires or did you confirm them afterwards?
It's been a while since we purcha... (more)

Seal (Oct. 29, 2011 @ 12:24a) |

thank you OP

VivYip (Nov. 02, 2011 @ 12:37p) |

  • Also categorized in:

Good job. Thanks OP.

thanks op.

Thanks OP...........

Thanks!

Thank God for baby wipes! time to stock up for 6 months.

Gent's I recently learned about tire manf. dates, please before buying any tires check the Manufactured Date. Most retailers put their tires on sale by getting raid of the older tires first - YOU DON"T WANT THOSE..its not worth your safety / life.It basically tells you look for the DOT mark and the last four digits tell you the Month / Year. So 5107 would be the 51st week in 2007. This is for all tires in the last 11 years.

700MHz said:   Gent's I recently learned about tire manf. dates, please before buying any tires check the Manufactured Date. Most retailers put their tires on sale by getting raid of the older tires first - YOU DON"T WANT THOSE..its not worth your safety / life.It basically tells you look for the DOT mark and the last four digits tell you the Month / Year. So 5107 would be the 51st week in 2007. This is for all tires in the last 11 years.

A good reminder. Costco sells in such high volume it should not be an issue. But the last time we were getting tires (Michelin) there (with a Costco coupon, of course), we did ask the Costco person at the tire center for the dates and he quickly and pleasantly provided them.

TeeSemmel said:   The upcoming Costco Coupon Book is out. Posted here and also on other deal sites.

Tires are still Michelin ($70 off)
Nutella is up again (just bought it last week, o well when it's so short they'll adjust) $2.50 off
Huggies Diapers (Pull ups actually) and Kirkland Wipes (I know some don't like 'em, but they're a good deal.)
The box of Mobil 1 is $10 off.
Swiffer stuff $3 off
Aluminum Foil $3.50 off (What happened to the "i" in Aluminium?)
Snapple and the Angus Cheeseburger.

and a whole bunch of Vitamins and Supplements ... just look for yourself


Regarding the "i", there are different stories which you can "search", on the element, but it probably mostly relates to whether you're in the U.S. or not. addictedtocostco.com regularly posts both the U.S and U.K. versions of the coupon books which differ and you may want to check there.

Noticed last time Costco had $40 off coupon on Samsung monitor. Looked at it and what they did was raise the suggested price $40 and with coupon was same price. Was disappointed. Hope they do not do same with Mobil 1 oil....

TeeSemmel said:   
Tires are still Michelin ($70 off)

Few years ago I bought the tires for $86.99 each but now they are $106.99 each. With the increase in the installation fee to $56.00 (from $40) I will have to pay about $100 more this time for all 4 tires.

The coupons in .pdf format for those who want it.

horizon6 said:   The coupons in .pdf format for those who want it.
But the barcodes are on the back

ShakuniMama said:   horizon6 said:   The coupons in .pdf format for those who want it.
But the barcodes are on the back



Yes you are correct (3k posts? ).

That is the usual method at Costco. The cashiers at the warehouse need one or more "actual" coupons to scan for your "order" (the number you need and the coupon process used varies by warehouse). In some warehouses the cashier has one coupon to use repeatedly. The coupon booklets are generally available at the member services counter for those who did not get them in the postal mail or forgot to bring it.

BTW, for orders at costco.com items you do not need bar codes, even to get the "coupon" discounts.

Welcome to 2011 where things cost more than they did in the past.ShakuniMama said:   TeeSemmel said:   
Tires are still Michelin ($70 off)

Few years ago I bought the tires for $86.99 each but now they are $106.99 each. With the increase in the installation fee to $56.00 (from $40) I will have to pay about $100 more this time for all 4 tires.

cheapestone said:   Welcome to 2011 where things cost more than they did in the past.ShakuniMama said:   TeeSemmel said:   
Tires are still Michelin ($70 off)

Few years ago I bought the tires for $86.99 each but now they are $106.99 each. With the increase in the installation fee to $56.00 (from $40) I will have to pay about $100 more this time for all 4 tires.


Yes. Difference is now the "measurement" reported in the news say there's no inflation. It's just prices going-up everywhere on things real people need to buy/live (homes purchases excepted, although not necessarily residential rent).

Costco delivers excellent value. Sometimes when in the warehouse there's a momentary shock to see it has increased some prices but then you seen the item elsewhere and are quite thankful you're a Costco member.

Sometimes FWs (and others) can find "loss-leaders", "clearances", other special prices on specific items temporarily less than Costco's price, but unlikely it can be done consistently on overall purchases of a normal "basket" of same/equal-quality items that they need.

Checking the price history of natural rubber and other raw materials may help you understand the price increase.

ShakuniMama said:   TeeSemmel said:   
Tires are still Michelin ($70 off)

Few years ago I bought the tires for $86.99 each but now they are $106.99 each. With the increase in the installation fee to $56.00 (from $40) I will have to pay about $100 more this time for all 4 tires.

Anything from Lorex Swann or Q-See for DVR Security Camera/DVR bundles?

tweekerz said:   Anything from Lorex Swann or Q-See for DVR Security Camera/DVR bundles?

Lorex on Page 9: $100 off Lorex Observation System: 8-Channel ECO DVR, 4 Indoor/Outdoor Cameras

and on 12: $1,299.99 after $700 off Lorex 16 Channel/16 Camera Edge+ Touch Screen Security Camera System with 1TB HDD and 21.5" Touch Screen LCD Monitor

Lorex seems is always more expensive than Q-see, but I think the images are clearer at least from what I can tell when they have it set up in the warehouse sometimes.

the latter is online only. The 8-channel system is instant discount in the warehouse, but seems to come with only 4-cameras. When they're not in the bundle cams can be quite expensive.

cheapestone said:   Welcome to 2011 where things cost more than they did in the past.

Except stocks, houses, and the U.S. Dollar.

TeeSemmel said:   cheapestone said:   Welcome to 2011 where things cost more than they did in the past.

Except stocks, houses, and the U.S. Dollar.


Except Apple.
Except when they're rented in NYC.
Except when they're bought with Euros.

Just bought tires from Costco recently and I checked the date right after installation, manufactured in 2010.

Probably a stupid question, but the oil ad shows 5w-30 and 10w-30. Are these the only weights offered?

tweekerz said:   Anything from Lorex Swann or Q-See for DVR Security Camera/DVR bundles?

Last thing I want to do is threadcrap but I've had a Q-See system in my restaurant for the first 3 months. You get to know over time the cameras and DVR are junk. My unit could not multiplex, meaning I had to stop recording if I wanted to play back what happened. In addition, the software was awful. To top it all off the cameras were junk.

So I spent a little time reading on cctvforum.com and picked up a better DVR made by Dahua. Then I invested in better cameras from CNB with the mona lisa chipset.

It was a learning experience, good thing for you the Costco return policy could make your experience less expensive than what I went thru wasting 600 bucks for the Q-See system.

I've had better experience with an all in one Lorex than Q-See, but it still pales in comparison to my Dahua DVR.

thx

These coupons are good, although I am not sure if it makes up for the other higher priced items that one ends up buying as part of going to the club. Almost everything cost more at costco these days.

As a disclaimer, I used to be a costco member from 1990s to mid 2000s, although almost everyone else in my extended family is still going to costco and I go there from time to time.
Currently I am a Sam'sClub Member.
I was looking at the bundle of white shirts the other day in costco. They used to cost $11 for a package of six. Now it is 19.99 for a package of 4. For those that say it is 2011, at Sams Club, Haines White shirts (bundle of 5) cost 14.99. Now I am sure there is some slight difference in quality between Costco brand (members mark) vs Haines. But 33% difference in price is significant for similar items.
Becuase I frequent both Clubs, overall costco has significantly higher priced but similar (sometimes identical) items. Membership dues are also Costco $50 vs $40 SamsClub.
Only problem I have now is that in California, costco is everywhere and SamsClub is in only a few places. The Location Densities vary in other states.

For the consumers who are in love with the Costco Chain rather than be a true informed consumer, I am just presenting my observation for those that have not had a chance to directly compare.
The above coupons in themselves maybe a good deal though.

700MHz said:   Gent's I recently learned about tire manf. dates, please before buying any tires check the Manufactured Date. Most retailers put their tires on sale by getting raid of the older tires first - YOU DON"T WANT THOSE..its not worth your safety / life.

If they were unsafe then they wouldn't be sold. The wear and tear is millions of times greater attached to your car than sitting on a shelf.

minggang said:   Checking the price history of natural rubber and other raw materials may help you understand the price increase.

That wouldn't help since according to Michelin:
Butyl Rubber: Synthetic rubber used to create today’s tires. It is virtually impenetrable to water and air.

Prngr44 said:   Probably a stupid question, but the oil ad shows 5w-30 and 10w-30. Are these the only weights offered?

Yes. I pointed out to Costco hdqtrs via email that most new cars use 5w-20, but they still don't carry it.

ShakuniMama said:   minggang said:   Checking the price history of natural rubber and other raw materials may help you understand the price increase.

That wouldn't help since according to Michelin:
Butyl Rubber: Synthetic rubber used to create today’s tires. It is virtually impenetrable to water and air.
The Danvers, Mass, Costco fills all tires with NITROGEN.

mfp2waoe said:   700MHz said:   Gent's I recently learned about tire manf. dates, please before buying any tires check the Manufactured Date. Most retailers put their tires on sale by getting raid of the older tires first - YOU DON"T WANT THOSE..its not worth your safety / life.

If they were unsafe then they wouldn't be sold. The wear and tear is millions of times greater attached to your car than sitting on a shelf.


My local Costco really does not let you browse the Tires, although my local BJ's does.

But even more important, at Coscto you CAN pick and choose their Auto Batteries, and you should. Last month my Coscto 100-month Battery died, and since it was less than 3 years old, I got 100% of my money back.

When I browsed the new Batteries, I discovered Manufacturing Dates nearly a year apart. And, sadly, the new Battery cost me more than the 3-year old one did. (but there's no Inflation - LOL).

SalemCat said:   ShakuniMama said:   minggang said:   Checking the price history of natural rubber and other raw materials may help you understand the price increase.

That wouldn't help since according to Michelin:
Butyl Rubber: Synthetic rubber used to create today’s tires. It is virtually impenetrable to water and air.
The Danvers, Mass, Costco fills all tires with NITROGEN.


Are you smoking NITROGEN too ?
The point I was trying to make was that these days tires are made from synthetic rubber and not natural rubber.

I advise you all not to buy tires from Costco. I bought 4 Goodyear tires from them as the mechanic recommended, and they are slippery in the rain, however, Costco refused to refund them for any reason.
Go to your local discount tires.

I have good experience from Costco. It has good warranty of tires.

storkhsu said:   I advise you all not to buy tires from Costco. I bought 4 Goodyear tires from them as the mechanic recommended, and they are slippery in the rain, however, Costco refused to refund them for any reason.
Go to your local discount tires.

A note on tires. If possible get the date codes to be the same. If you ask, I am sure that they would check and accommodate you.

Michelins typically are better balanced than other tires. If you ask any tire guy (installer). He will agree, as they take less weight than other tires

Wads

daffydk said:   These coupons are good, although I am not sure if it makes up for the other higher priced items that one ends up buying as part of going to the club. Almost everything cost more at costco these days.

As a disclaimer, I used to be a costco member from 1990s to mid 2000s, although almost everyone else in my extended family is still going to costco and I go there from time to time.
Currently I am a Sam'sClub Member.
I was looking at the bundle of white shirts the other day in costco. They used to cost $11 for a package of six. Now it is 19.99 for a package of 4. For those that say it is 2011, at Sams Club, Haines White shirts (bundle of 5) cost 14.99. Now I am sure there is some slight difference in quality between Costco brand (members mark) vs Haines. But 33% difference in price is significant for similar items.
Becuase I frequent both Clubs, overall costco has significantly higher priced but similar (sometimes identical) items. Membership dues are also Costco $50 vs $40 SamsClub.
Only problem I have now is that in California, costco is everywhere and SamsClub is in only a few places. The Location Densities vary in other states.

For the consumers who are in love with the Costco Chain rather than be a true informed consumer, I am just presenting my observation for those that have not had a chance to directly compare.
The above coupons in themselves maybe a good deal though.


The difference between Kirkland and Hanes shirts are not slightly different; they are significantly different. Take a look at them side by side and quality of the Kirkland becomes much more apparent. I have purchased Hanes shirts in the past and I now use them as rags to clean my bike.

For the record, below, I am comparing a well worn Kirkland shirt, probably at least 20 or 30 washes, and a new Hanes shirt just out of the package.

The material for the Kirkland shirts is very slightly heavier or thicker (can be personal preference) but it's also less see-through. Keep in mind Kirkland shirt is used.

The Kirkland shirts are double stitched throughout; Hanes shirts are single stitched.

Kirkland shoulder seams have an extra layer of material on the inside so the raw edge doesn't rest or rub against the shoulder. Hanes shirt has the seam/fabric edge resting on the shoulder. The seam where the sleeve meets the torso on both shirts are exposed and not sewn flat against the fabric.

The collar seam, where the ring comes together, on the Kirkland shirt is well hidden. I think the seam is inside the two layers of material so it's not very noticeable. The Hanes shirt has the collar seam exposed on the inside of the collar and a seam rests against the user.

The hem at the waist of the Kirkland shirt is sewn such that it's flat against the waist of the shirt and the raw fabric edge isn't as exposed. The raw fabric edge on the Hanes shirt is much more noticeable as it's not sewn flat against the shirt. The sleeves are the same way.

The stitches on the Kirland shirt appear shorter than those on the Hanes shirt. Three stitches on the Kirkland cover roughly the same linear distance as two stitches on the Hanes shirt.

I do not work in the textile industry, just my observations looking at the shirts close up right now.

The following are my guesses and I can provide no evidence to back them up. Athletic/base layer shirts commonly use flat-locked seams so they don't rub against the wearer and cause chafing or itching, I know this for sure, or at least that's what manufacturer's claim. I think the covered or hidden seams in the shoulder and collar on the Kirkland shirt have similar purpose and perhaps for durability also. The flat locked edges at the waist and sleeve cuff I think are less easily frayed since it doesn't have a raw edge that sticks out like on the Hanes shirt. The pitch of the stitches, I'd guess results in a stronger seam.

I'd be willing to wager that the Kirkland shirt will last longer due to the thicker material and construction. Whether or not it lasts long enough to make the 66% premium worth it, I have no idea. Then there's the possible comfort factor due to the hidden and covered seams which makes the value more difficult to quantify. Some won't be bothered by exposed seams and some may find them unbearable.

Now I'm not sure where your 33% comes from, but at $20/4 shirts or $5 ea, or $15/5 or $3 ea, that's a $2 difference which isn't 33%. The Kirkland shirts are 66% more or the Hanes are 40% less...

Sorry I'm a faithfull buyer as I worked there for 20 years.

At my store the Kirkland white t-shirts are $19.99 for 6, so that is pretty close to your example of 5 for $14.99 for an inferior shirt.daffydk said:   These coupons are good, although I am not sure if it makes up for the other higher priced items that one ends up buying as part of going to the club. Almost everything cost more at costco these days.

As a disclaimer, I used to be a costco member from 1990s to mid 2000s, although almost everyone else in my extended family is still going to costco and I go there from time to time.
Currently I am a Sam'sClub Member.
I was looking at the bundle of white shirts the other day in costco. They used to cost $11 for a package of six. Now it is 19.99 for a package of 4. For those that say it is 2011, at Sams Club, Haines White shirts (bundle of 5) cost 14.99. Now I am sure there is some slight difference in quality between Costco brand (members mark) vs Haines. But 33% difference in price is significant for similar items.
Becuase I frequent both Clubs, overall costco has significantly higher priced but similar (sometimes identical) items. Membership dues are also Costco $50 vs $40 SamsClub.
Only problem I have now is that in California, costco is everywhere and SamsClub is in only a few places. The Location Densities vary in other states.

For the consumers who are in love with the Costco Chain rather than be a true informed consumer, I am just presenting my observation for those that have not had a chance to directly compare.
The above coupons in themselves maybe a good deal though.

Lots of interesting comments about tires and their age, checking date codes, etc.

The reality is that tires degrade over time from exposure to air and UV light (sun). Tires that just sit on a shelf in a tire store, whether Costco or any other store, do age. If you drive 15,000+ miles a year, it's likely that your tires will wear out before age becomes an issue. However, if you drive only a few thousand miles a year, then tire age might become an issue. Six years is the recommended life by many manufacturers.

You shouldn't buy tires from any store that won't show you the date code. And, as one person said, you should try to get all the tires you're buying to match date codes. I'd recommend calling ahead so they can verify that they have the number of tires that you need with an identical date code, in stock.

In my experience, while buying tires for an elderly relative, the tire store selected 4 tires. Three matched, but 1 was months older. I asked for them to find one that matched the other three, and they promptly did so. I also bought a new car in 1998 and asked them to drop the spare (prior to buying it) to check the date code. The spare tire was faded and was 3 1/2 years old. I made them replace it with a new tire before buying the car. It seemed clear that either the manufacturer, or the dealer, was rotating inventory at the customers' expense.

Skipping 86 Messages...
thank you OP



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014