• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Manufacturer refurbished us to let you know it was an official, credible refurb as opposed to an unknown third party. P... (more)

SamFreedom69 (Dec. 01, 2011 @ 11:41p) |

Supposedly shipped yesterday via UPS (with a free upgrade to 2nd day air), but UPS shows that the package has not even b... (more)

coolVariable (Dec. 02, 2011 @ 1:31p) |

just got mine. going to DL this honeycomb thing....

wiru (Dec. 05, 2011 @ 10:01p) |

  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

templeboy said:   Linky
Seems good deal for a basic tablet use. Any idea about warranty on this one? Green for you OP.

1 Year warranty per listing (click the warranty link).

http://nookdevs.com/Portal:NookColor

Looks like it can be easily rooted for the full droid experience.

DarkScout said:   http://nookdevs.com/Portal:NookColor

Looks like it can be easily rooted for the full droid experience.


Excellent site. Just got an iPad 2 (along with the impossibly expensive $69 smart cover) for free last week. Any similar site to hack out iPad? Thanks.

You know, I love the Nook Color, absolutely love it. But I finally pulled the trigger this morning on an IBM Lenovo Tablet for richer features and 3.1" of additional screen size. It's $294 shipped w/FC today, so I'm not alleging you get these features for the same amount of money, but for me the biggest issue was the screen size. I'll be using this tablet primarily for reading hi-res, full-color PDF technical manuals and increasingly I saw myself endlessly finger dragging just to navigate the graphics.

The other thing is that I really think B&N has got to drop the price on these Color Nook's to $100 *NEW*. With all due respect, I'd probably get a NC in addition to the IBM tablet and use it exclusively for reading, but it's simply overpriced at this stage. I was really hoping B&N would have gotten the refurbs on this ver. 1 Color down to about $80 for BF at least tsk.

Happy tablet-ing everyone!

TYTBUDGET

Plus tax, makes it $120+ for AL. Nice price but will wait untill it gets to like $100. Thanks OP

I've run a number of different versions of Android on the Nook Color, but my fav by far is CyanogenMod 7 (http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/nook-color). Basically Android 2.3 that you can load on and boot from a MicroSD card, therefore not touching the original Nook OS/setup. With the mod loaded this is one awesome little tablet. At $119 prob the best inexpensive tablet on the market if you don't need cameras or gps (it was intended to be a reader). For those that want to avoid reading and modding themselves (free) you can buy a microSD card with Android preloaded for the Nook Color, then all you have to to is put the card in and viola - full fast, high quality droid tablet! - http://www.amazon.com/Nook-Android-8GB-Micro-Card/dp/B005FMKAKS/... Note cards are available in different sizes.

It has been that price awhile . I saw it a couple days ago and passed. i wanted new.

TYTBUDGET said:   You know, I love the Nook Color, absolutely love it. But I finally pulled the trigger this morning on an IBM Lenovo Tablet for richer features and 3.1" of additional screen size. It's $294 shipped w/FC today, so I'm not alleging you get these features for the same amount of money, but for me the biggest issue was the screen size. I'll be using this tablet primarily for reading hi-res, full-color PDF technical manuals and increasingly I saw myself endlessly finger dragging just to navigate the graphics.

The other thing is that I really think B&N has got to drop the price on these Color Nook's to $100 *NEW*. With all due respect, I'd probably get a NC in addition to the IBM tablet and use it exclusively for reading, but it's simply overpriced at this stage. I was really hoping B&N would have gotten the refurbs on this ver. 1 Color down to about $80 for BF at least tsk.

Happy tablet-ing everyone!

TYTBUDGET


Curious which tablet is it for $294 among these ...

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/tablets

Sangel said:   It has been that price awhile . I saw it a couple days ago and passed. i wanted new.
Yes, this reinforces my earlier comment that B&N has simply got to lower the MSRP on these Color Nooks. Lard it up with Sales Tax, disqualify it for any CB/Coupons . . . it is simply not competitive. People like me will spend $50 more and get double the versatility (not to mention 44% increased screen size tsk). It just astonishes me that Amazon & B&N are so tone deaf to the economic realities people are living within right now. I'm hugely disappointed in them both for what can only be described as a Let them eat cake! policy this BF.

TYTBUDGET

I would have jumped on this if I didn't already scored (finally!) the HP touchpad 32GB. Looks like the Nook color has finally below their previous $149.00 range. Recommended for those taht needed a tablet for about $100.

Chinsurah . . .

This is the IBM K1 Lenovo 10.1" IdeaPad [32GB Android 3.1 Honeycomb w/Mini-HDMI, Mini-USB 2.0 & Bluetooth] at ABT Electronics (Illinois) w/2% FCash, Free Shipping & No Sales Tax outside of IL. BF Price $299, thus $294 after FC.

WARNING
ABT's site is a real headache to get started with, not least of which because you'll be creating an account before anything stays put in your cart. ABT suffers you to confirm your email before letting anything remain in your cart. If you're going to do this deal, here's what I would strongly recommend: Go through the bullsh+t Account Creation process before you do anything . . . confirm your email . . . confirm that they did not summarily log you out upon confirming your email (which they did me) . . . hunt down their item 56283 . . . cache it in your history file . . . pop over to FatWallet's ABT page (above) . . . click the Shop button . . . make sure you're still logged in to ABT; if not LOG IN AGAIN, exit that tab & repeat the FatWallet FC procedure . . . pull up ABT's product page from your history . . . add the QTY. 1 they will allow you to purchase . . . and then go through checkout.

They're currently backlogged up to 10 days on this tablet so no guarantee you'll get it in time for Christmas.

TYTBUDGET

I bought a Nook Color 2 weeks ago and so far it has been great. It took about 30 minutes to install the CyanogenMod 7.1 onto a microSD card and have it running on the Nook. If you plan to run CyanogenMod on the Nook I recommend getting the fastest (and biggest) microSD card you can find. I currently have everything running on this that I wanted (Netflix, Hulu, Android Market, Angry Birds). I don't really miss this not having any cameras since I don't do video chat and I have a decent camera to take pictures. I do wish it had a built in GPS. Supposedly you can connect it via bluetooth to the GPS in a smartphone but I haven't tried it yet. If these go down to $99 I will end up buying one for each of my kids. For $120 I think the Nook Color is an excellent tablet.

optical said:   I would have jumped on this if I didn't already scored (finally!) the HP touchpad 32GB. Looks like the Nook color has finally below their previous $149.00 range. Recommended for those taht needed a tablet for about $100.
A Prince among Tablets. A real beauty, and the other product I very seriously considered.

TYT


Sangel said:   It has been that price awhile . I saw it a couple days ago and passed. i wanted new.

Rrrrriiiiiggggghhhhhhhttttttt. I am sure it was.

savinagain said:   I've run a number of different versions of Android on the Nook Color, but my fav by far is CyanogenMod 7 (http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/nook-color). Basically Android 2.3 that you can load on and boot from a MicroSD card, therefore not touching the original Nook OS/setup. With the mod loaded this is one awesome little tablet. At $119 prob the best inexpensive tablet on the market if you don't need cameras or gps (it was intended to be a reader). For those that want to avoid reading and modding themselves (free) you can buy a microSD card with Android preloaded for the Nook Color, then all you have to to is put the card in and viola - full fast, high quality droid tablet! - http://www.amazon.com/Nook-Android-8GB-Micro-Card/dp/B005FMKAKS/... Note cards are available in different sizes.

We have done the same. It's easily hackable. I could use another one if the price drops below $100.

HOT deal! Green!

I previously sold my Nook Color in the hopes of getting the Nook Tablet but with the Nook Tablet being unhackable, the NC remains the best hackable Android Tablet besides the Kindle Fire! Very glad I was able to jump on this!
Will probably keep my new NC for a couple of weeks/months before jumping on the Fire (likely when they have CM9 out for it).
For $130 (including tax in CA) this is a no-brainer.

Once you've got a SD CM7 Root, You can now install Netflix direct from the Amazon Marketplace.

No more hacking the system files to change device name and sideloading it.

A Noobs Guide to Getting Started with a Custom Rom on the Nook Color

ShakuniMama said:   

Buy a pre-prepared card


I have bought five 16GB SD cards from them and have nothing but good things to say about them. Get right back to you with any questions you ask AFTER you have received the card.

I decided to get this deal this morning - I think it'll work great for me - I want to put ebooks on it and do a little web surfing and a few games and the price is reasonable to test it out.

mdyoung said:   ShakuniMama said:   

Buy a pre-prepared card


I have bought five 16GB SD cards from them and have nothing but good things to say about them. Get right back to you with any questions you ask AFTER you have received the card.


If you have just a slight amount of technical skill, you can create one of these cards for yourself in 10 minutes.

Shipping for this sucks

Picked one up. This will make the third one in my family. Rock solid running CM7.

How to know if it is a new nook color which is better than fire, or it is old one ?

jcantanixon said:   Picked one up. This will make the third one in my family. Rock solid running CM7.
Indeed, our family is delighted with CM7 (we use a 16GB SanDisk card). Haven't even bothered to register the Barnes and Noble software yet -- we always boot to Android CM7 with the full Android store. The kids particularly love the games.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-h...
We upgraded to the "update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed.zip" image, and haven't had to touch the CM7 software since that.

We paid $169 for our unit on eBay a month ago. Had to swap out the first unit because the touch screen was erratic at the edges. B&N support was amazingly responsive. This is a steal at $119.

i wonder how this benchmarks against say the htc flyer (1.5 stock - hits 1.7ghz all day long) with the legit 3.2.1 (non-AOSP)?

I was going to ask how video capture rates compare but i guess it doesn't do video so I guess how well do games play with gyro/accelerometer compared to the htc flyer? There is something to be said about legit firmware versus AOSP. some things tend to just work better out of the box.

Any ways to bring this price down ever further? CM7 on the touchpad is pretty nice and is faster (2 cores @ 1.7ghz ftw) plus the ipad1 IPS display (better than the ipad2 display in quality).

How do they integrate the storage? Say if i put a 32gb SD card in - do you just rock the OS off internal storage and mount the SD card as /data?

My galaxy tab (as-is) only has like 2gb /data and the SD card is a separate partition so you have to watch your app storage space due to the whacky partitioning android uses. never understood why they couldn't union the storage.

IS it because you have unmount the partition of the sd card to mount it on the pc via usb?

Before installing CM7, you can repartition the internal memory to whatever you want to allow you enough room for apps and OS. CM7 on the touchpad is nice too (my wife has one), but I prefer the 7 inch format of the NC for reading (the 10 inch is too big and heavy) and it has much better battery life.

i assume they are charging tax for CA as well right?

wiru

At the top there is "Manufacturer refurbished" but at the bottom "pre-owned" is anybody could explain the difference? is there any scratches (likely)?

lacerdo said:   At the top there is "Manufacturer refurbished" but at the bottom "pre-owned" is anybody could explain the difference? is there any scratches (likely)?

Both the units I received from the previous eBay offer looked new-in-box. I suspect they are clearing out old stock.

wiru said:   i assume they are charging tax for CA as well right?

wiru
It claims it charges taxes, but I wasn't using bill me later. From TX (6.5%)

thanks for the reply. just watched youtube, looks like runs well on android. just got one, charged me $10.41 for tax. yes, its expensive to live in CA

wiru

speedkilz88 said:   wiru said:   i assume they are charging tax for CA as well right?

wiru
It claims it charges taxes, but I wasn't using bill me later. From TX (6.5%)

.
I installed Flash on my Cyanogenmod 7.1 Nook (run from the SD card). The latest Flash from the market did not work, but an old version "flash_player 10.1 armv6 android.apk" from XDA worked well for me.
.

Finally in for 1, thanks OP and all for posting the modding guides.

KPACOTKA said:   How to know if it is a new nook color which is better than fire, or it is old one ?

Yes it's the old one.

The new Tablet is the "Nook Tablet".

The old Tablet is "Nook Color".

4 days later and still not shipped? B&N is starting to really piss me off.

Skipping 18 Messages...
wiru said:   wiru said:   jmoney48 said:   does anyone show theirs as shipped?

ordered over the weekend. just got notification from eBay that item shipped.

wiru


just tracked it, its enroute to me. im in CA and the unit is shipping from NJ.

wiru


just got mine. going to DL this honeycomb thing....



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014