• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Motorola Triumph for $150
Disclaimer
Free shipping and free activation.
No contract.
Rate plans start at $35/month for calling, texting, and 3G data

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/deals.html?intcmp=p-hp-mps1-cybmo...

HOT!: use code SAVE20 for an extra 20% off (existing customers: do not login before using the coupon)

Virgin Mobile
Need a Virgin Mobile coupon that earns $17.50 FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Virgin Mobile
Thanks Divot101
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I bought several Triumphs and I activated two for my kids, I am having serious problem w/ the voice quality on both phon... (more)

CaptQ (Feb. 27, 2012 @ 10:17p) |

i,am by belmar right by rt.195 and my phone works great no voice problems and also with any coverage issues and i use it... (more)

tinkakat (Feb. 28, 2012 @ 6:16a) |

I agree. The internet and apps also run kinda slow. The battery also sucks too much juice. However, all in all this i... (more)

cobenhu (Feb. 28, 2012 @ 11:42a) |

HOT!: use code SAVE20 for an extra 20% off!

http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/

simplified guide for those new to rooting & flashing a custom ROM on the Optimus V

Installing TickerGuy’s CyanogenMod 7

Check Order Status (cut and paste link):
https://www1.virginmobileusa.com/order/prepareOrderStatus.do

Activate the phone and make sure you can Call/SMS/MMS and all that usual stuff. Then, follow the basic steps as outlined below (details are in androidforums + tons of YouTube videos):

1. Root the phone (GingerBreak).

2. Install CWM Recovery (recovery-cwm-5.0.2.6-triumph) and make a backup of the recovery.img (that is on the phone) to your computer so that you have a backup of the Stock Recovery if you EVER need it in the future.

3. Make Nandroid Backup (this is your Stock Backup).

4. Wipe Data (Factory Reset) and flash update-cm-7.1.0-TG-Beta-0.8-Triumph-signed + gapps-gb-20110828-signed OR miuiandroid_Triumph-1.11.4-110911-3

5. Enjoy awesomeness.

All the above steps are explained in androidforums as well as there are tons of YouTube videos.

The beauty of installing CWM Recovery (Step 2) is that we can go to practically any ROM that gets released for Triumph and we can always switch around. Fun stuff!

PS: After you reboot the phone, make sure to copy the Stock Backup that you made it in Step 3 to your computer so that if something *bad* happens to your SD card, you can always get to the Backups... This applies to all the backups that you do in the future.

Q. Since I don't get any reception at my house, does google voice or groove ip forward any calls I will receive (normally through Virgin Mobile service) through wifi?

If they call your Virgin Mobile number, it will only ring your regular cell or go to your cell voice mail. Groove doesn't factor in at all.

If they call your Google Voice number, it will ring your Groove IP if Google voice is configured to send to Google talk. You have options to set to cell, Google talk, or both. So that sounds like what you would be dealing with when you're at home.

So here are some different situations when someone calls your Google Voice number:

If Cell voice and 3G data both available and if both cell and Google talk are enabled with Google voice, and 3G enabled in Groove IP, it will cut off the Google voice call, but the cell voice will ring and allow you to answer while the Google voice will show as missed call. This is because CDMA doesn't allow both voice and data at the same time on the cell network. If you want to be able to pick up with groove IP, then you need to set Google voice ahead of time to send to Google talk only and NOT cell.

If Wifi is available, but you don't have a cell signal, then it will ring Groove IP if Google voice is configured to forward to Google talk, whether or not it's configured to send to cell as well. It wouldn't matter if 3G is enabled in Groove IP when there is no signal available.

If Wifi and Cell Voice/3G are both available, and and you set Google voice to send to both cell and Google talk, and 3G is disabled in Groove IP, then both will ring. And you won't always be able to answer using the method you want (Wifi or Cell Voice), although the facebook page apparently improves the odds of being able to pick up with Groove IP and Wifi if you want to avoid using cell minutes. You can also set Google voice to only forward to cell or only to Google talk in that situation so that it will always answer with cell or Groove IP depending on which you selected in Google voice ahead of time.

If Wifi and Cell Voice/3G data are available, and Google voice is set to Google talk only, it will use Wifi if 3G isn't enabled in Groove IP. And it will use 3G if it is enabled in Groove IP. There doesn't appear to be an option to default to Wifi and use 3G only if Wifi isn't available. If your Wifi has better performance, it seems like there should be an option to default to Wifi and use 3G as a backup.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

So, how is the Triumph as a streaming video player and web browser on local wifi only without phone service?

Does anyone know if I am already a VM customer whether I can buy the phone without having to activate a new plan?

Yep! As far as I know activation is always a separate process from purchasing, whether from their website or from a retail store. I know some people buy the phones just to use as wi-fi devices and never activate them.

Looks nice.

In for the mobile wifi for $61 and $131 for the Motorola Triumph! Thanks for the SAVE20 - worked great. Goodbye Sprint $130 monthly bill.

Well, I picked one up to replace my outdated pocket tablet for browsing, videos, music and ebooks. At this price it beats all the competition I've been looking at. HDMI-out is great too.

Any Triumph owners have suggestions for good apps and tweaks?

I heard Dolphin is a good browser.
Swype or SwiftKey for keyboard?
What's the best video player for 720P?
Does Droidwall work on this? Any other good security apps or settings?

Anyone running MIUI or CM7?

HOw does one get the 20% off? I entered it and it accept, but when final charges show, it removes the discount

lilstabber said:   HOw does one get the 20% off? I entered it and it accept, but when final charges show, it removes the discount

Do you already have a Virgin Mobile account? On another forum, they said to log out of your account then add it to your cart. Maybe have to clear cookies and try another browser too. So, buy without logging in.

Had the same thing happen to me. It looks like the 20% is only for 'new' customers, so you have to sign out of your account to order the phone. I'm assuming there won't be an issue with activating on an existing account, but don't know that for sure.

Yea, I went to another browser and didn't log in and got the 20% off.

HOT! Just ordered an Optimus Slider @ $80 + tax after the save20 discount code. I've never seen Virgin Mobile discount their phones this much, especially their flagship Triumph!

Similar to some VZ phones working on PagePlus, can the VM MiFi be used on another Sprint VMO like Boost or TruConnect? If so, that would be awesome!

wow these are great deals

Just bought one (on impulse). Any tips on what I can do with this thing beside give it away for Christmas?

The save20 code worked for me.

Someone brought this up in another thread. Compare this deal to the Samsung Exhibit II for $194 on Amazon/WalMart with a "4G" $30/month tmobile/WalMart plan. Since I am in a pretty good 4g area, I don't know which deal is better. I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert on this so I need your help guys!

So this Triumph deal is $120 for 300m talk, 3g unlimited $35/month

vs Samsung exhibit $194 for 100m talk, 4g for first 5GB, then goes down to 3gb after, for $30/month...

manko said:   Well, I picked one up to replace my outdated pocket tablet for browsing, videos, music and ebooks. At this price it beats all the competition I've been looking at. HDMI-out is great too.

Any Triumph owners have suggestions for good apps and tweaks?

I heard Dolphin is a good browser.
Swype or SwiftKey for keyboard?
What's the best video player for 720P?
Does Droidwall work on this? Any other good security apps or settings?

Check out Howardforums virgin android devices

Basset said:   Check out Howardforums virgin android devices

Thanks. I also found http://androidforums.com/motorola-triumph/

bought 2 triumph. But the save20 discount code is applied to 1 phone only.

buy on 2 separate orders.

Oooooooh And I am about to pull the trigger on this. Now just to sell my nearly brand new G2x on Craigslist. Thanks for that OP!

can we use it in India...? by unlocking it..

blackcobrasandy said:   can we use it in India...? by unlocking it..

No. These are locked CDMA phones, not GSM.

I was one of the people that bought this phone (Triumph) when it came out , i had to return it because the antenna signal was not has good as other phones throwing it into 1x mode a lot and calls that didn't ever ring. I went back to the optimus V - the non slider and that has a much better antenna and works very very well in my area.

oops i thought they were GSM.. thanks for the info..

Nice...in for a slider, time to upgrade from my intercept. Great post.

Can this phone be used on Sprint account?

Do they charge to carry over your old phone # from another carrier?

ntddvltt said:   Can this phone be used on Sprint account?
No.

anndesikis said:   I was one of the people that bought this phone (Triumph) when it came out , i had to return it because the antenna signal was not has good as other phones throwing it into 1x mode a lot and calls that didn't ever ring. I went back to the optimus V - the non slider and that has a much better antenna and works very very well in my area.

My next question was how does this compare to the Optimus slider... so I guess that answers my question

Save20 code takes-off another $30 at the time of this writing.

NOTE: The Quick Settings app which turns-on Hot Spot capability on the Optimus V does NOT work on the triumph.

In 4 1. I love cyber Monday. Now to get a 50% off Zagg for the screen.

Can the Optimus V Slider be used as a Hot Spot?

RichardF said:   Save20 code takes-off another $20 at the time of this writing.

NOTE: The Quick Settings app which turns-on Hot Spot capability on the Optimus V does NOT work on the triumph.

The hotspot was disabled in 2.2.2 because Virgin Mobile does not support it on the Beyond Talk plan, so the Optimus V does no longer work either.
To make it work you have to Root your phone.

see more info here

Are there going to be any problems getting my number switched over from my VM Optimus V to the Triumph? I don't want to lose my $25 grandfathered plan.
Have the Triumphs been rooted yet?

Just want to provide a user experience.

I have been a Virgin user for over a year now. I use the LG Optimus as a phone. Having a quick and advanced smartphone is great...but outside of wifi, you are only as good as your network. These phones are throttled by VM's weak data network. I will load a webpage, and a 10 second wait is very typical (something like ESPN.com). Streaming music can be spotty. Clearly I have been happy enough with the service (read: price) not to change in the past year, but I am finally reaching my limit and plan on changing to one of the big networks in the next month or so. Just be aware of this if you are intending on using the phones away from wifi.

Edit to add: I live / work in downtown Boston

anndesikis said:   RichardF said:   Save20 code takes-off another $20 at the time of this writing.

The hotspot was disabled in 2.2.2 because Virgin Mobile does not support it on the Beyond Talk plan, so the Optimus V does no longer work either.
To make it work you have to Root your phone.

see more info here

I don't think Virgin ever supported Hot Spot on their phones. The Quick Settings app was the trick to turn it on for the Optiums V.
I'd have to check the Android version I am running on the Optimus V, but Quick Settings turns on the hot-spot just fine for me on theBeyond Talk $25 (now $35) plan.

No rooting or messing stuff here.

I bought an Optimus V at Target on black friday for $50 for my niece for christmas. Now I am debating whether to get Optimus slider for $30 more. Is it noticeably better/faster? Is it that much thicker/bulkier?

This will be her first touchscreen phone.

Skipping 298 Messages...
tinkakat said:   cobenhu said:   Hey everyone,
I am having an issue with the phone. The screen sometimes turns black and does not turn on even if I press the buttons. I have to remove the battery and then when I turn the phone on it works. This has happened 2 times in the past 2 weeks. Any ideas?
yes that has somewhat happen to me twice with some wording can,t remember but battery out does the trick. like it, love it for the price we paid.

I agree. The internet and apps also run kinda slow. The battery also sucks too much juice. However, all in all this is a great little phone. Combined with with the low monthly bill I have no complaints

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014