• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
I'm sorry to have missed the larger sign up bonus weaselslave12 mentioned. Mom signed up this week and was instantly approved for $200 after spending $500.00 promo on CK. I figure this card will dent the Fidelity AMEX spending. But so will the 1st quarter Citi utility 5% category rebate.

UPDATE: Chase removed the hard pull a couple of weeks after Mom applied for this Chase Freedom. She has another Chase Visa already. We spent the $500 before the first statement. Chase paid the rebate before the payment due date of the first statement.

Discover and Chase having $1500 quarters for restaurants back to back will take some of the spending off of my Citi Forward card - I don't really like any of the 10k/$100 categories Citi is offering me any more so it's effectively down to 4.2% for me. For gas, Costco (AMEX only) is usually 8-9 cents cheaper than anybody else, so it is a wash for my daily commute, but I usually buy about 40 gallons a month while traveling so I may spring for some gift cards in late March.

Chase Q4 is a gimme for me as I can hit $500/month of hotel/airline in my sleep just from work travel.

clemente21 said:   I don't really like any of the 10k/$100 categories Citi is offering me any more so it's effectively down to 4.2% for me.

Are you not getting 10k/$100 for either mortgage rebate or student loan rebate with MTV Forward? Or are you not comfortable with that option?

Rasheed

Anyone know if Amazon payments qualifies as Amazon for chase freedom?

oshelef said:   Anyone know if Amazon payments qualifies as Amazon for chase freedom?I wouldn't count on it. They are coded differently. For example, Amazon Payments earns 1% on Citi Forward, while regular Amazon purchases earn 5%.

If someone has the guts to try and report otherwise, more power to them! Otherwise, I think it's best to do Amazon Payments using your highest CashBack card (Venture, Fidelity Amax, Capital One Cash, etc).

centrifuge41 said:   oshelef said:   Anyone know if Amazon payments qualifies as Amazon for chase freedom?I wouldn't count on it. They are coded differently. For example, Amazon Payments earns 1% on Citi Forward, while regular Amazon purchases earn 5%.

If someone has the guts to try and report otherwise, more power to them! Otherwise, I think it's best to do Amazon Payments using your highest CashBack card (Venture, Fidelity Amax, Capital One Cash, etc).

How about buying Amazon gift cards? It seems to be coded differently from Citi perspective too - I get only 1% on Citi MTVU card, however get full 3% on Chase's Amazon Visa.

rasheedb said:   clemente21 said:   I don't really like any of the 10k/$100 categories Citi is offering me any more so it's effectively down to 4.2% for me.

Are you not getting 10k/$100 for either mortgage rebate or student loan rebate with MTV Forward? Or are you not comfortable with that option?
No, neither category matters for me. But.... I did finally read the fine print on Hyatt, and those gift certs are useful as long as you're spending $100 per stay (paper certs, no change given). I ended up reupping Diamond with Hyatt this year, so I'm at 5% earning after all. I just cashed out $400 of them to apply to a conference stay next month.

dmitri said:   centrifuge41 said:   oshelef said:   Anyone know if Amazon payments qualifies as Amazon for chase freedom?I wouldn't count on it. They are coded differently. For example, Amazon Payments earns 1% on Citi Forward, while regular Amazon purchases earn 5%.

How about buying Amazon gift cards? It seems to be coded differently from Citi perspective too - I get only 1% on Citi MTVU card, however get full 3% on Chase's Amazon Visa.

Is there anyway to try and find out if it works while the promotion is still on going? Are the pending bonus points visible before the end of the quarter? Then we could find out for both giftcards and payments for sure.

Does this include Amazon gift cards?
If so I can just buy the maximum allowed in gift cards, and bank the discount now for my future Amazon purchases. Free $75 off my purchases on Amazon this year

melkosh said:   Does this include Amazon gift cards?
If so I can just buy the maximum allowed in gift cards, and bank the discount now for my future Amazon purchases. Free $75 off my purchases on Amazon this year
According to the official Chase FAQ, Amazon gift cards ARE included...

"You'll earn 5% Cash Back on up to $1,500 spent From January 1 to March 31, 2012 on all purchases you make through the checkout at Amazon.com, including digital downloads, Amazon.com Gift Cards, Amazon Fresh orders and Amazon Prime subscriptions. Purchases made at Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.ca, or any other website operated by Amazon.com, its affiliates and subsidiaries are not eligible for 5% Cash Back"

iLoveTahoe said:   melkosh said:   Does this include Amazon gift cards?
According to the official Chase FAQ, Amazon gift cards ARE included...

"You'll earn 5% Cash Back on up to $1,500 spent From January 1 to March 31, 2012 on all purchases you make through the checkout at Amazon.com, including digital downloads, Amazon.com Gift Cards, Amazon Fresh orders and Amazon Prime subscriptions. Purchases made at Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.ca, or any other website operated by Amazon.com, its affiliates and subsidiaries are not eligible for 5% Cash Back"
Yep. Here's the link to their full list of example qualifiers... https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/merchants.aspx

I'm not sure, but is Amazon going to start charging sales tax in California starting in Jan 2012?

hpboy56 said:   I'm not sure, but is Amazon going to start charging sales tax in California starting in Jan 2012?

I thought they got 1 year extension ... till Dec 2012.

Can someone confirm?

Tax collection in California will begin September 15th, 2012.

Source

great I'm going to buy the full $1500 in gift cards and bank in that $75 saving. I'll end up spending this on Amazon anyhow.. though it will likely take me a full year - but a 5% safe investment return is hard to get now days.

Does anyone know if the quarter for bonus categories goes by transaction date or posting date?

Usually merchants go by transaction date although sometimes Chase has posted the transaction date a few days after you have already recd. email confirmation from the merchant.

Does 5% Amazon include Amazon Marketplace or "other vendors" who sell through Amazon?

MisterEd said:   Does 5% Amazon include Amazon Marketplace or "other vendors" who sell through Amazon?The answer to that is seven posts above yours. (Yes, it does.)

tajar96 said:   Usually merchants go by transaction date although sometimes Chase has posted the transaction date a few days after you have already recd. email confirmation from the merchant.
That's normal for online orders. You usually get email confirmation when you place an order, but many places actually charge the card when they ship, which may be a little or a lot later -- and that's the transaction date for the credit card charge.

I used my card a lot in person for Q4 bonus categories in the last few days of the year, and all those transactions posted on 1/1 (but the transaction dates are correct). Hope I get the bonuses there.

I'm a bit disappointed in the Chase Freedom CashBack categories in 2012. They seem more narrow than 2011.

1Q11 grocery, Drugstore to 1Q12 gas, Amazon
2Q11 home improvement, lawn & garden, home furnishings to 2Q12 grocery, movie
3Q11 gas, hotels, airlines to 3Q12 gas, restaurants
4Q11 dining, department stores, movie, charity to 4Q12 hotel, airlines, Best Buy, Kohls

I think this will reduce my use of the card, and CashBack from it, a bit. I can spend the maximum $1500 per quarter on groceries but no way on gas, and the narrowing from categories to specific stores is also disappointing. This card becomes less and less useful.

Given the CHASE rebate calendar:
Q1 Active Card
Q2 less Active Card. Wal-Mart is not guaranteed as a grocery despite MCC linked responses.
DiscoverCard for restaurants.
Q3 Active Card in SPADES >> both gas and restaurants.
Q4 Chase and Discovercard = sock drawer cards.

Does the 5% apply towards gift cards purchased at gas stations, or only purchases at the pump?

YMMV by the station.

sullidav said:   I'm a bit disappointed in the Chase Freedom CashBack categories in 2012. .

I agree. I got a Freedom card in a forced conversion when CHASE discontinued their SPECTACULAR Rewards Plus card (which provided 5% CashBack on gas, groceries, and drugstores). I don't like the narrow quarterly categories or the $1500/quarter ceiling. I've kept the card simply to lower my overall utilization.

Digging a bit deeper found this in their faq.

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/FAQ.aspx#Efive2

Q. What types of merchants are in the Gas station category?
A. Merchants in the Gas station category sell automotive gasoline that can be paid for either at the pump or inside the station, and may or may not sell other goods or services at their location. Examples of merchants that sell types of fuel but are not included in the Gas station category are truck stops, boat marinas, oil and propane distributors, and home heating companies.

IIRC, if you purchase fuel inside, or a donut, it is still typically tagged as a fuel purchase.

Of course, purchasing $300 at one time may look odd, so probably best to break down the gift card purchases to $75-$100 over some time period.

Gpz1100 said:   Digging a bit deeper found this in their faq.

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/FAQ.aspx#Efive2

Q. What types of merchants are in the Gas station category?
A. Merchants in the Gas station category sell automotive gasoline that can be paid for either at the pump or inside the station, and may or may not sell other goods or services at their location. Examples of merchants that sell types of fuel but are not included in the Gas station category are truck stops, boat marinas, oil and propane distributors, and home heating companies.

IIRC, if you purchase fuel inside, or a donut, it is still typically tagged as a fuel purchase.

Of course, purchasing $300 at one time may look odd, so probably best to break down the gift card purchases to $75-$100 over some time period.

And remember to put in a pack of gum, or they'll know you're buying gift card. While it's possible to buy $100 of gas, they might question it.

Nobody's reviewing transactions manually. If the merchant code matches what they're looking for, you get your bonus, that's it. It's very unlikely that they would program the system to somehow flag amounts in multiple of $100, or greater than some max, for manual review. I bought $200 worth of gift cards from a gas station recently, and got the bonus with a BofA card (with no gum thrown in). The only question is whether transactions at the pump and with the attendant use the same merchant code, and if not, if both are on the bonus list.

olegos said:   Nobody's reviewing transactions manually. ... It's very unlikely that they would program the system to somehow flag amounts...

But sometimes you want to call them and whine about why you didn't get the bonus, and then someone will be reviewing that transaction manually. If you bought $300.00 worth of "gas," you compromise the ability to ask for an appeal after, should it become necessary (which it usually isn't).

Around here, apparently not all shells take credit cards for gift cards. Two local ones said cash or debit. I asked what difference does it make if I buy fuel or a gift card. Guy said that's the rules. So be it. These were somewhat local stations that I will not patronize in the future for any fuel purchases.

The third one, closer to a hwy had no issues. Got $75 worth (50+25). That's actually enough to fill my entire tank with premium, so should be plenty reasonable if it ever needs to be manually examined.

centrifuge41 said:   oshelef said:   Anyone know if Amazon payments qualifies as Amazon for chase freedom?I wouldn't count on it. They are coded differently. For example, Amazon Payments earns 1% on Citi Forward, while regular Amazon purchases earn 5%.

Anyone been able to verifiy if Amazon payments qualifies?

rotorrocket said:   centrifuge41 said:   oshelef said:   Anyone know if Amazon payments qualifies as Amazon for chase freedom?I wouldn't count on it. They are coded differently. For example, Amazon Payments earns 1% on Citi Forward, while regular Amazon purchases earn 5%.

Anyone been able to verifiy if Amazon payments qualifies?

I just did, and the answer is NO.

olegos said:   Nobody's reviewing transactions manually. If the merchant code matches what they're looking for, you get your bonus, that's it. It's very unlikely that they would program the system to somehow flag amounts in multiple of $100, or greater than some max, for manual review. I bought $200 worth of gift cards from a gas station recently, and got the bonus with a BofA card (with no gum thrown in). The only question is whether transactions at the pump and with the attendant use the same merchant code, and if not, if both are on the bonus list.

Pay-at-the-pump fuel purchases are merchant category code 5542, other service station transactions are generally 5541. I got the extra 5% Chase Freedom Cash-Back with both types of transactions, similar to my old Chase PerfectCard (nee old Chase Freedom Card, nee old Chase Shell Mastercard) that it replaced.

Note that many *other* cards that give extra Cash-Back on gasoline transactions would only do that for 5542 (e.g. PenFed Cash Rewards, old AAA BoA card (if that still exists). In the states of NJ and OR, often the attendant uses pay-at-the-pump on your behalf, so that would still count as 5542.

I'm guessing that car washes are 5541, even if paid via the automated machine. Exception: Car washes paid in conjunction with a pay-at-the-pump fuel sale.

^^Is there any way to see how the transactions are coded from the online account access?

Not that I can see. Nothing specific enough anyway. They just show Gasoline or Merchandise or Services, etc.

Received my statement few days ago. All gift cards except those purchased within a week of my cycle date have posted. I expect the rest post in the next statement.

My Amazon.com gift card did not qualify for the bonus 5%.

thursday said:   My Amazon.com gift card did not qualify for the bonus 5%.
Mine did. Several times. All purchased directly from Amazon.

oshelef said:   thursday said:   My Amazon.com gift card did not qualify for the bonus 5%.
Well I bought $500 worth today so I sure hope it works.

halo0 said:   oshelef said:   thursday said:   My Amazon.com gift card did not qualify for the bonus 5%.
Well I bought $500 worth today so I sure hope it works.

Same here

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014