• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
LINKY TO COSTCO TURBOTAX SELECTION

Added RETAIL to title, this is for the full retail versions with 5 e-files and state included (except deluxe w/o state and Business). This is not the 'online' version.

From 1/5/12 to 1/29/12 a coupon in the costco coupon booklet takes off $10 from either of the 5 Turbo Tax products:

TurboTax Deluxe No State $39.99 - $10 = $29.99
TurboTax Deluxe with State $49.79 - $10 = $39.79
TurboTax Premier $69.49 - $10 = $59.49
TurboTax Home & Business $79.99 - $10 = $69.99
TurboTax Business $99.99 - $10 = $89.99

Buy B&M to avoid $3.99 SH

If you lost/dont have your coupon booklet, cashier usually has one at the register and will most likely take it off for you (ymmv)

DEAL ENDS THIS SUNDAY 1/29/12

Member Summary

TurboTax Premier
Thanks Happygirls
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Another thing not mentioned at that link: you can't transfer last year's tax return from H&R Block at Home, or TaxAct, i... (more)

govenar (Jan. 11, 2012 @ 5:36a) |

The TurboTax website says the fee for State e-file is $19.95 when using the CD/Download version (I looked at http://turb... (more)

govenar (Jan. 11, 2012 @ 5:46a) |

bump for last weekend of sale. ends sunday 1/29/12

BLASK (Jan. 26, 2012 @ 9:12p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TurboTax Deluxe with State $49.79 - $10 = $39.79

standard price at costco w/coupon every year. and every year i buy.

but just wondering if i should wait to see if some other store (ie: Staples) will have a better deal?

yurgreat said:   TurboTax Deluxe with State $49.79 - $10 = $39.79

standard price at costco w/coupon every year. and every year i buy.

but just wondering if i should wait to see if some other store (ie: Staples) will have a better deal?

there might be something better before taxes are due

Warning to XP users:

If you're still using an older machine without Microsoft NET 4.0, TurboTax 2011 will install it automatically. Some people don't like this because it's notorious for slowing down computers. I've used TurboTax for probably 10 years and am looking elsewhere now because of this.

or you could read this thread if you use a mac - http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1157684/

OP, thanks for the informational posting. However, FW folks should know that Costco is NEVER the least expensive choice for purchasing TurboTax, even though they hype up their supposedly low cost with coupons and ads. They can get away with charging more because it is handy to buy if you're there already, and folks buy it there year after year without realizing they're paying too much. Right now, it's cheaper to buy it directly from intuit.com through the FW hot deals forum posting link. Deluxe (no state) is about $19, but will cost more than that if you don't use the correct link! Always first check out and compare info from the FW postings in the forums/hotdeals/computers/software category to keep up with the latest deal. We switched to the lower cost H&R Block product for an additional cost savings, and find it as easy to use as TurboTax, but not quite as polished. Happy New Year and Blessings to All!

Costco is at least cheaper for TT Home and Business at $70 for cd with coupon, fatwallet intuit link shows a $99.95 for cd which includes state (download does not at $74.95 - 8% fatwallet cash)

MrLincoln said:   OP, thanks for the informational posting. However, FW folks should know that Costco is NEVER the least expensive choice for purchasing TurboTax Never? Not for anyone? It looks like people who want to file state tax might find otherwise. But please, prove me wrong and save us all some money.

If one is filing a state return, the $40 deluxe version (AC) includes it. Which for my purposes is decent enough.

MrLincoln said:   ...Right now, it's cheaper to buy it directly from intuit.com through the FW hot deals forum posting link. Deluxe (no state) is about $19, but will cost more than that if you don't use the correct link! Always first check out and compare info from the FW postings in the forums/hotdeals/computers/software category to keep up with the latest deal...!

what you are talking about is the 'online' version of the product (ONLY 1 E-FILE INCLUDED) (not to mention state additional, but some don't need it)

this post is for the 'retail' version of the product (5 E-FILES INCLUDED) (great if you want to split the cost with family/friends doing separate filings)

there is quite a difference.... I urge you to research properly before trying to compare apples to oranges as if they were both apples.

OP, you are absolutely correct that Costco may have the lowest cost at a particular time for a particular version. But it will likely go on sale for less elsewhere as the season heats up - at least we all hope so! Good Luck to us all, and thanks again for your posting!

MrLincoln said:   OP, you are absolutely correct that Costco may have the lowest cost at a particular time for a particular version. But it will likely go on sale for less elsewhere as the season heats up - at least we all hope so! Good Luck to us all, and thanks again for your posting!

that's why we gotta keep our wallets fat and make sure we get the lowest deal, if you need to do your taxes before 1/29, this is the deal to get, otherwise lets cross our fingers for a better deal before the deadline

Seems to me that you could buy the Costco version with the coupon, then return it if a better deal pops up. I don't remember what their return policy it, but I think it's at least 30 days.

Thrifty -- Costco's general return policy applies to unopened software: unlimited in time. The 90-day limited return policy only applies to televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones.

GB

Guybush said:   Thrifty -- Costco's general return policy applies to unopened software: unlimited in time. The 90-day limited return policy only applies to televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones.

GB

That's good. So, you could buy TT at Costco, keep it unopened for a couple of weeks and then return it if a better deal pops up.

Amazon is also worth checking. Last week I found their prices beat Intuit and Costco, when taking taxes and S&H into account I have Amazon's Prime for free shipping). Amazon's prices fluctuate, so that is not always true.

RJG said:   Warning to XP users:

If you're still using an older machine without Microsoft NET 4.0, TurboTax 2011 will install it automatically. Some people don't like this because it's notorious for slowing down computers. I've used TurboTax for probably 10 years and am looking elsewhere now because of this.

Thanks for the tips. Do you have any link to article related to performance impact of .NET 4.0? TurboTax is the only application that I am installing to my old XP PC and pretty much the only software that is forcing me to upgrade my browser, .NET etc each year. It is pretty crazy consider their software is doing very much the same calculations for the last 20 years yet they need software infra upgrades year after year.

Thrifty said:   Guybush said:   Thrifty -- Costco's general return policy applies to unopened software: unlimited in time. The 90-day limited return policy only applies to televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones.

GB

That's good. So, you could buy TT at Costco, keep it unopened for a couple of weeks and then return it if a better deal pops up.

I really like this idea... lock in this deal in case a better one doesn't materialize. You could technically open and use it right away, because if YOU DO get a better deal, return that one to costco unopened. Barcodes/serial numbers all the same... it doesn't strike me as unethical, but correct me if I'm wrong.

BLASK said:   Thrifty said:   Guybush said:   Thrifty -- Costco's general return policy applies to unopened software: unlimited in time. The 90-day limited return policy only applies to televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones.

GB

I really like this idea... lock in this deal in case a better one doesn't materialize. You could technically open and use it right away, because if YOU DO get a better deal, return that one to costco unopened. Barcodes/serial numbers all the same... it doesn't strike me as unethical, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't see it as unethical, at least if there's a chance that you'll buy it from Costco and keep it. After all, one reason they have a return policy is because people sometimes want to return something because they found it for sale at a better price somewhere else.

Don't count on the bar code being the same. TT retail boxes comes in different size and shape depending on the retailer.

Thanks op. last year I had to file two states and got hosed waiting until the last minute. I will be picking this up this weekend.

What's the difference between buying the software and doing it online from their web site?

novasian said:   What's the difference between buying the software and doing it online from their web site?

Buyer's Guide - Should I use Turbo Tax Online or Desktop?

Costco WILL take it back even if it is opened. What is unethical is using it then returning it. Costco has one of the best return policies. Only electronic equipment have a 90 day return limit. Anything else they take back no questions asked.

Using and you don't like it is fine to return. But if you use it are happy, file the return and then return it now that is unethical. But it still occurs.

While they INCLUDE state in some packages they still charge $39.99 to eFile the State forms which is ridiculous. They really "getcha" there. "Free" Federal eFIle and $39.99 for State eFile. Real gimmick considering 2 years ago it used to be like $20 to eFile BOTH.

RJG said:   Warning to XP users:

Hah... Last year they insisted on ver. 3.5 and my Win7 box had 4.0 installed, TTax demanded to overwrite it with 3.5. Before it did that, it went back for a refund. And yes, I despise NET and while I'm not a Microsoft basher NET is an abomination and seems to get worse with each rendition. I resent any software purveyor from imposing this kind of nonsense on customers.

BLASK said:   novasian said:   What's the difference between buying the software and doing it online from their web site?
Buyer's Guide - Should I use Turbo Tax Online or Desktop?

Another thing not mentioned at that link: you can't transfer last year's tax return from H&R Block at Home, or TaxAct, into TurboTax Online; only into TurboTax Desktop. (last year's return from TurboTax Desktop though can be transferred to TurboTax Online)

MisterEd said:   While they INCLUDE state in some packages they still charge $39.99 to eFile the State forms which is ridiculous. They really "getcha" there. "Free" Federal eFIle and $39.99 for State eFile. Real gimmick considering 2 years ago it used to be like $20 to eFile BOTH.The TurboTax website says the fee for State e-file is $19.95 when using the CD/Download version (I looked at http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/deluxe.jsp and clicked "Show me" under "Gets your refund fast with e-file". Also http://turbotax.intuit.com/ says "Additional fees apply for efiling state returns ($19.95)".)

bump for last weekend of sale. ends sunday 1/29/12

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014