• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Olympus PEN E-PL1 12.3-MP Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
ITEM INCLUDES

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Micro 4/3 Digital Camera & 14-42mm Lens (Black/Black) - Factory Demo with:

BLS-1 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
BCS-1 Battery Charger
USB/Video Multi-cable
Shoulder Strap
Front and Rear Lens Caps
CD-ROM Software
Instruction Manual
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

anywhere else 4/3 would equal something 1/3 larger than normal but for this camera it equals a "micro" version????????

Is this camera anything special?

I am a big fan of the lens look, and these give the user the clear look of glass and the simplicity of a point and shoot. The only down fall to these is changing the lenses and buying more. If you want to get a nice tight shot from far away, you will need to buy a zoom lens.

Don't know about this camera or seller but I am very happy with my Panasonic Micro 4/3 DMC-GH1K camera. It is an SLR and is much smaller than the big bulky DSLR's, the controls are easy and similar to the film SLR's that I had when I was younger. The pictures are great, battery life is excellent, screen is large and rotatable, and you can use lenses from Panasonic, Olympus, and Sigma in the 4/3 format. It is not a camera for a real professional, but it is a great camera for an involved amateur who wants something that is easier to tote and takes great photos.

Thank you both for your input!

"Micro" 4/3 represents a sensor form factor.

This relatively new concept has three features:

1-Standard lens connection - Means lenses between manufacturers are compatable. So, you can put a 4/3 lens on any camera body that accepts 4/3... unlike Nikon which only takes Nikon mounts, Canon only Canon mounts, Sony...etc.

The down side is that as of right now, only two mfgrs are using them (Panasonic and Olympus)... I believe there are 4(?) other mnufacturers signed on, but nobody really using it yet. Keep in mind you can use just about any brand old lens with an adapter but you do not get autofocus. This is a benefit to those doing photo art of landscape, macro photography, portraits, etc...

2-Smaller form factor - Sensor inside is a little smaller than typical DSLR sensor, but its still WAY larger than regular point and shoot cameras. This allows the camera and lenses to be made smaller, closer to a point and shoot, but still have the better low light performance of a dSLR.

I find it a good compromise... point and shoot sensors are too small to take photos in a gym or auditorium without a flash, but these are just good enough(IMHO)and they are small enough to carry everywhere.

3-Contrast AutoFocus - The u4/3 cameras use contrast autofocus. Its more accurate, but historically not as fast as dSLR's Phase detect autofocus. Somehow, they have made these focus very fast... same speed in my estimation as a comparibly priced dSLR. Unlike a dSLR, front/back focus issues due to the lens are no longer a problem. However, they are not as fast in low light.

Personally, I have the Panasonic GH series and find it fantastic. I have never used the Olympus.

Regards
SteveG

SteveG

I have one of these and the image quality is very good, comparable to a couple of older DSLRs I have. The big gotcha is the camera is fairly large, especially with the kit lens. It could fit into a bulky jacket but not normal clothing. If you need compact and good IQ, the Canon S9x and S100 are great cameras, but this will be much better for indoor shots without flash.

I have this camera. Picked it up new on Amazon for 289 after having some issues with a refurbished unit. The first camera I bought was a refurb on eBay but it was refurbished by Olympus themselves. I was disappointed that they used a part from the blue version of the camera to fix the flash on my black camera. Looked a little ugly. Bigger issues was ther lens did not rotate well, it felt like there was some dirt or grime in there and it would "catch" every once in awhile making it not very fun to use and impossible to do zoom while recording video. So as with anything refurbished - buyer beware.

However, I think the camera is excellent and for $200 you cannot go wrong. Takes beautiful DSLR quality pictures, has great JPEG compression in the camera, the kit lens is above average, the video is 720p but very good (much better than the Flip UltraHD I was using). It also has some fun art filters in the camera as well. Most are things you could do in photoshop, but the diorama one is excellent. All in all it's a very fun camera.

Thanks, in for one.

I am really familiar with this seller. Bought a nikon dslr and lens. They work great. This seller is also well known in NY as selling official refurbed items.

OOS for me

This isn't much of a point or argument but the main advantage of these cameras is low light high iso performance...yet the lenses I have seen available are not terribly bright glass...not only that but I prefer...greatly prefer to bounce a strobe at ISO 100 than to shoot at higher than 800. A good bounce flash is more than double the price of this camera but a better value in my opinion if you already own a dslr. Now for my wife....this is a smoking hot deal on her anniversary gift! Thanks OP!

dzer0 said:   This isn't much of a point or argument but the main advantage of these cameras is low light high iso performance...yet the lenses I have seen available are not terribly bright glass...not only that but I prefer...greatly prefer to bounce a strobe at ISO 100 than to shoot at higher than 800. A good bounce flash is more than double the price of this camera but a better value in my opinion if you already own a dslr. Now for my wife....this is a smoking hot deal on her anniversary gift! Thanks OP!

The glass isn't that bright but the lenses don't need to be stopped down as much as a regular DSLR kit lens to hit their sweet spot. The glass is the big surprise for me, its pretty nice for kit gear. You also get an OK anti-shake system, its sensor shift, but it does appear to work ok.

One thing I'm starting to realize about this camera, it seems the lenses are like printer cartridges, its where all the profit for the mfg's seems to be. Primes are 2x as expensive as their comparable DSLR gear. Can't wait for some of the 3rd parties to get into the micro 4/3d's game.

yakky said:   dzer0 said:   This isn't much of a point or argument but the main advantage of these cameras is low light high iso performance...yet the lenses I have seen available are not terribly bright glass...not only that but I prefer...greatly prefer to bounce a strobe at ISO 100 than to shoot at higher than 800. A good bounce flash is more than double the price of this camera but a better value in my opinion if you already own a dslr. Now for my wife....this is a smoking hot deal on her anniversary gift! Thanks OP!

The glass isn't that bright but the lenses don't need to be stopped down as much as a regular DSLR kit lens to hit their sweet spot. The glass is the big surprise for me, its pretty nice for kit gear. You also get an OK anti-shake system, its sensor shift, but it does appear to work ok.

One thing I'm starting to realize about this camera, it seems the lenses are like printer cartridges, its where all the profit for the mfg's seems to be. Primes are 2x as expensive as their comparable DSLR gear. Can't wait for some of the 3rd parties to get into the micro 4/3d's game.

Olympus kit lenses are always fantastic. Zuiko glass has a unique quality to it and rarely does it ever disappoint.

received mine today. Looks like new. will report shutter count later.

Looks like I'm in the lucky league.
R:27 (after taking two test shots by myself)
S:6
C:0
U:21
V:0
B:25
L:0

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014