• filter:
  • 123 4 545
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I can not get the arp -s to work
IP Address to 192.168.1.108, sub-net 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1
this is what i got at an administrative command prompt.

C:\>arp -s 192.168.1.1 94-44-52-9d-3f-1c
The ARP entry addition failed: Access is denied.

C:\>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.1.108 --- 0xd
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.1.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static
224.0.0.22 01-00-5e-00-00-16 static
224.0.0.251 01-00-5e-00-00-fb static
224.0.0.252 01-00-5e-00-00-fc static
239.255.255.250 01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa static
255.255.255.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static

C:\>

rated:
I got dd-wrt loaded correctly following the instruction found on this thread, but here is my personal experience:

1, After I did 30-30-30, the power light was out, and I wasn't able to connect to the router. I pulled the plug once and put it back in right away, just to reboot though I wasn't sure if I was supposed to do that. After the reboot, I got the connection to the router, which still had the stock firmware (expected).

2, I loaded the mini version using the web interface of the stock firmware. After initiating it, I left the room for a while. When I came back, the mini dd-wrt was loaded correctly, and I was able to connect to dd-wrt's web configuration.

3, Loading the mega version from there was simple enough.

rated:
rub it in why don't you.

enterkey said:   I got dd-wrt loaded correctly following the instruction found on this thread, but here is my personal experience:

1, After I did 30-30-30, the power light was out, and I wasn't able to connect to the router. I pulled the plug once and put it back in right away, just to reboot though I wasn't sure if I was supposed to do that. After the reboot, I got the connection to the router, which still had the stock firmware (expected).

2, I loaded the mini version using the web interface of the stock firmware. After initiating it, I left the room for a while. When I came back, the mini dd-wrt was loaded correctly, and I was able to connect to dd-wrt's web configuration.

3, Loading the mega version from there was simple enough.

rated:
Belkin said they would give me a new router if i send the old one back. i will see how much postage is. probably my best option at this point.

rated:
GilbertsGrape said:   Belkin said they would give me a new router if i send the old one back. i will see how much postage is. probably my best option at this point.

Did you try this:
(copied from a dd-wrt forum for broadcom hardware)
I just successfully unbricked my router by:

Manually assigning my ethernet adapter a
IP 192.168.1.x address,
255.255.255.0 subnet,
192.168.1.1 gateway

unplugging the router, holding the reset button in and powering it up, DO NOT RELEASE, visit http://192.168.1.1/ or http://192.168.1.1/f2.htm [don't think it matters] and upload your file, the router will now automatically reboot, NOW release the reset button as it comes back up, configure your router the way you want it and enjoy!

rated:
I do not get to the firmware page when I try this. Page can't be found.

teraman said:   GilbertsGrape said:   Belkin said they would give me a new router if i send the old one back. i will see how much postage is. probably my best option at this point.

Did you try this:
(copied from a dd-wrt forum for broadcom hardware)
I just successfully unbricked my router by:

Manually assigning my ethernet adapter a
IP 192.168.1.x address,
255.255.255.0 subnet,
192.168.1.1 gateway

unplugging the router, holding the reset button in and powering it up, DO NOT RELEASE, visit http://192.168.1.1/ or http://192.168.1.1/f2.htm [don't think it matters] and upload your file, the router will now automatically reboot, NOW release the reset button as it comes back up, configure your router the way you want it and enjoy!

rated:
Anyone here with a Kill-A-Watt meter that can do some tests on power usage? I would like to see how it performs with and without a hard drive connected.

rated:
GilbertsGrape said:   Belkin said they would give me a new router if i send the old one back. i will see how much postage is. probably my best option at this point.

Here's another way you can try. Download the Windows GUI TFTP Utility

set the (Static) IP address to 192.168.1.2
set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
set gateway address to 192.168.1.1

Do the 30/30

Start up the Windows GUI TFTP Utility

set Server/IP address to 192.168.1.1
leave the Password blank
load up the dd-wrt mini firmware and hit upgrade

rated:
I'm curious how those who've upgraded to DD-WRT and configured it are now doing for free NVRAM. [Edited out incorrect statement....]

With newer versions, you can tell in the Web UI's Status/Router section. Look for "Space Usage NVRAM."

Otherwise, you have to login via telnet and execute: nvram show >/dev/null

BTW, for those who want to be on the bleeding edge, Build 18946 from this weekend:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=153302

rated:
Hey guys, I spent all morning playing around with the settings since my Intel Centrino 1030n wifi card wont connect at anything past 72 Mbps. After a ton of work, it turns out it's the Antenna setting under Wireless > Advanced Setting. Here's what I did:

1. CTS Protection Mode: Disabled
2. TX Antenna: Right
3. RX Antenna: Left
4. Preamble: Auto
5. WMM: Enable
6. Bluetooth CoExistance: Enable
7. Frame Burst: Disabled
8. Afterburner: Auto

I now get a connection from 150 to 300 Mbps. Before it floated around 122 to 72 Mpbs.

rated:
rseiler said:    Apparently, because this model is dual-band,

Where does it say that? It's not Dual Band if your trying to relay 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz..

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   rseiler said:    Apparently, because this model is dual-band,

Where does it say that? It's not Dual Band if your trying to relay 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz..

Right you are! I was thinking of a different model.

rated:
rseiler said:   I'm curious how those who've upgraded to DD-WRT and configured it are now doing for free NVRAM. Apparently, because this model is dual-band, more is used of the precious 32KB than expected.

With newer versions, you can tell in the Web UI's Status/Router section. Look for "Space Usage NVRAM."

Otherwise, you have to login via telnet and execute: nvram show >/dev/null

Or go to Administration | Commands and execute the command through the GUI.

Says I have 32% free: 24914 bytes (7854 left)

rated:
any1 installed the Shibby mod for tomato? that seems to be the only one with BT client. thanks.

rated:
could care less about the usb support as getting any meaningful NAS like features out of the netgear dual band router wndr3700 was and is an exercise in futility that doesn't deserve repeating in the Belkin. but is it a dual band? if not, pass. 2.4 ghz spectrum is just too congested where I live.

rated:
hakujin said:   could care less about the usb support as getting any meaningful NAS like features out of the netgear dual band router wndr3700 was and is an exercise in futility that doesn't deserve repeating in the Belkin. but is it a dual band? if not, pass. 2.4 ghz spectrum is just too congested where I live.

I personally don't need a full blown server just to stream movies to my WDTV's, but it should work for that purpose for a few folks. And to answer your question, it is not Dual Band..

rated:
neither do i. but... if it's anything like the wndr3700 (not saying it is, merely relying on inductive reasoning at this point) then simple reliability is chief concern. i gave up and realized not to leave my multimedia to the whim of a fickle 2.5" attached external running ReiserFS (NTFS was horribly unstable and FAT32 limited). Easier to just leave main file storage PC on w/ tight standby (when not streaming). Perhaps Tomato fairs far better and my suspicions are completely unfounded, I have no personal exp.

It's a fantastic deal at this price though! Especially for someone in the market for a N router and who doesn't have a very saturated 2.4ghz. If it were dual band, I'd pick it up merely as a backup in a heart beat.

rated:
hakujin said:   neither do i. but... if it's anything like the wndr3700 (not saying it is, merely relying on inductive reasoning at this point) then simple reliability is chief concern. i gave up and realized not to leave my multimedia to the whim of a fickle 2.5" attached external running ReiserFS (NTFS was horribly unstable and FAT32 limited). Easier to just leave main file storage PC on w/ tight standby (when not streaming). Perhaps Tomato fairs far better and my suspicions are completely unfounded, I have no personal exp.

It's a fantastic deal at this price though! Especially for someone in the market for a N router and who doesn't have a very saturated 2.4ghz. If it were dual band, I'd pick it up merely as a backup in a heart beat.

Your suspicions are not unfounded.. With a slow processor and 64MB of memory, your not going to get a speedy NAS.. It works if you're looking to share files with other computers and file transfer speed is not a huge priority.. My DIR-825 always had flaky USB connections, and I took did have periods of frustrations when it didn't work so I gave up on it.. I do believe that DD-WRT and Tomato do add a better grip on the USB ports than stock firmware..

rated:
I had tried that too. problem is the router does not get a ip and does not show up in the arc table either

dud89 said:   GilbertsGrape said:   Belkin said they would give me a new router if i send the old one back. i will see how much postage is. probably my best option at this point.

Here's another way you can try. Download the Windows GUI TFTP Utility

set the (Static) IP address to 192.168.1.2
set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
set gateway address to 192.168.1.1

Do the 30/30

Start up the Windows GUI TFTP Utility

set Server/IP address to 192.168.1.1
leave the Password blank
load up the dd-wrt mini firmware and hit upgrade

rated:
tmc said:   any1 installed the Shibby mod for tomato? that seems to be the only one with BT client. thanks.

I'm using tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-MIPSR2-088-BTgui from tomato.groov.pl. You still need to install Optware and transmission on the flash/hard drive since the router does not have enough flash ram.

rated:
Toddler said:   Otherwise, you have to login via telnet and execute: nvram show >/dev/null
Or go to Administration | Commands and execute the command through the GUI.

Says I have 32% free: 24914 bytes (7854 left)
I finally got mine going, and it looks like the differential with my K24-based DD-WRT is about 3KB. Add in about a year of traffic, and the free NVRAM gets extremely low. If you have many WoLs, PPTP user/pass, etc., you're in the red. I'd kill for the 60KB or 64KB that a handful of others have. It's baffling to me why such a small amount is reserved for the settings portion of NVRAM when the vendor could have easily made it a comfortable amount.

The other less-than-thrilling aspect of this router is the form-factor. Not just that it's vertical, which I don't like, but that there are no link/activity lights for the ports. I'm not sure that I've seen that before on a router/switch.

rated:
Got a 500gb 2.5" HD hooked up, works great! I cant seem to get password protection to work though.

rated:
rseiler said:   I finally got mine going, and it looks like the differential with my K24-based DD-WRT is about 3KB. Add in about a year of traffic, and the free NVRAM gets extremely low. If you have many WoLs, PPTP user/pass, etc., you're in the red. I'd kill for the 60KB or 64KB that a handful of others have. It's baffling to me why such a small amount is reserved for the settings portion of NVRAM when the vendor could have easily made it a comfortable amount.

The other less-than-thrilling aspect of this router is the form-factor. Not just that it's vertical, which I don't like, but that there are no link/activity lights for the ports. I'm not sure that I've seen that before on a router/switch.

Agreed about the lack of any port activity indicators, although they wouldn't be very usable placed on the rear in any case. The NVRAM is more generous than the WRT54GS that it replaced for me, which never disappointed for the many years it serviced my home network.

By the way, you screwed up the quote feature in your post. You attributed your original statement to me and then took credit for my reply. I'm sure that was quite by accident.

rated:
Free shipping, No Tax, Wireless N, Gigagbit, DD WRT?????? IN FOR ONE!

rated:
rseiler said:   

You know it's funny, on my DIR-825 people complained that there were too many activity lights and that they were so bright, they would light up a room.. And the color blue of the LED's are just blinding in a dark room.. The Belkin form factor is completely dull, one activity light for pretty much everything, but I really don't mind since I don't need another night light in my rooms.. Although they should have activity lights in the back of the router to help troubleshoot network issues.. But in the end it's a $22 N router with Gigabit ports that takes DD-WRT and Tomato, I can't really complain about anything now can I..

rated:
In for 1 to replace my 7 year old Link 54G running tomato.

rated:
In for 1.
$21 for a experiment, worth it i believe.

rated:
jplee3 said:   I have an old Netgear WNR834B refurb that I got from Frys via an old FW deal. It's been pretty stable with the exception of its power supply dying on me. I've been having to use the power supply from my WD TV Live unit. This is very tempting... I know what the wife will say though LOL

If I get DD-WRT on this, will I be able to set it up as a repeater with my WNR834B if the versions of DD-WRT are different?

I had four of those, with DD-WRT on them, variously each pair in WDS mode. I also finally had one "fail", but it likewise turned out to be the power adaptor. I found a USA seller on eBay, with brand-new exact-replacement power bricks, for like $15 ea shipped. Might check that out, if you want to resurrect it. They were good units, back in the day.

I'm currently running three WNR2000v2 units in WDS mode.

rated:
VirtuaL said:   jplee3 said:   I have an old Netgear WNR834B refurb that I got from Frys via an old FW deal. It's been pretty stable with the exception of its power supply dying on me. I've been having to use the power supply from my WD TV Live unit. This is very tempting... I know what the wife will say though LOL

If I get DD-WRT on this, will I be able to set it up as a repeater with my WNR834B if the versions of DD-WRT are different?

I had four of those, with DD-WRT on them, variously each pair in WDS mode. I also finally had one "fail", but it likewise turned out to be the power adaptor. I found a USA seller on eBay, with brand-new exact-replacement power bricks, for like $15 ea shipped. Might check that out, if you want to resurrect it. They were good units, back in the day.

I'm currently running three WNR2000v2 units in WDS mode.

Yeah, I saw some resellers of those adapters... my only concern is that those adapters may fail too. I wouldn't think this is the case though cause it seems the original adapters were just a bad batch or something.

At $15, I don't even know if it's worth buying an adapter for considering the Belkin cost $22~ If the Belkin works out for me, I might as well just sell the Netgear as-is... or I don't know. Maybe it's worth finding an adapter (or waiting to find one for super cheap) and turn it into a bridge/extender or something.

rated:
I have this Belkin router connected to a lan port on my Netgear 3500L. I could get to the internet with the mega DD-WRT build, but with the tomato tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx build I cannot get to the internet. Does anyone know if there a default tomato setting that is different than the dd-wrt megabuild setting that is causing this? I know I can attach the Belkin directly to my cable-modem, but I would like to test it out for a while before I go live with Tomato.

rated:
Has anyone cracked this unit open yet. Can the antenna be modded or replaced with a upgraded antenna for even greater range?

rated:
please delete

rated:
KaiserSosae said:   I'm taking on a new adventure...Long story short, I'm cutting the cable and going to a combination of live ota hdtv, Netflix/mlb.com streaming, and downloaded online content. Will this router work as media storage (NAS) for my home theater set up to basically stream recorded content to my 2 hdtv's? This is a whole new process for me so I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

Well these are the specs for the router:
453 MHz CPU
8 MB Flash
64 MB RAM

Can it handle streaming to TWO HDTV's at the same time.. I would say probably not because of the slow processor and low memory.. Check out what user umenon wrote in this thread in regards to transfer speeds: LINK

YMMV as they say..

rated:
There is a ton of info on this thread. All I want to know is out of the box can I plug in an external HD to the N300 and start wirelessly sharing files or does it require tomato or wrt?

rated:
GilbertsGrape said:   Has anyone cracked this unit open yet. Can the antenna be modded or replaced with a upgraded antenna for even greater range?

I am interested as well. I think this antenna kit may work.

rated:
jakejames6 said:   There is a ton of info on this thread. All I want to know is out of the box can I plug in an external HD to the N300 and start wirelessly sharing files or does it require tomato or wrt?

Out of the box will plug and share.
Lots of other standard/advanced router features have been disabled so that is why folks are installing 3rd party firmware.

rated:
hello

rated:
Sabre103 said:    Go here: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/toastman-releases-1...

Use the Mediafire link in the second post and download the build of your choice (I used the EXT version that has USB and NTFS support):
tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx

dumb question. do i need mediafire account to download this file ?

rated:
Zuke76 said:   jakejames6 said:   There is a ton of info on this thread. All I want to know is out of the box can I plug in an external HD to the N300 and start wirelessly sharing files or does it require tomato or wrt?

Out of the box will plug and share.
Lots of other standard/advanced router features have been disabled so that is why folks are installing 3rd party firmware.

Thanks! I saw the thread getting tons of love and the price is right so in true FW style I bought first and asked questions later!

rated:
gocint said:   Sabre103 said:    Go here: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/toastman-releases-1...

Use the Mediafire link in the second post and download the build of your choice (I used the EXT version that has USB and NTFS support):
tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx

dumb question. do i need mediafire account to download this file ?

No, you do not need a mediafire account. I don't have one and I downloaded the file and I am running this firmware.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014