• filter:
  • 14 5 67845
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Does anyone know if I can disable the router's router capability and just have it work as a gigabyte switch with the ability to connect hard drives to it? I don't want to use it as a router as I already have a good dual band router. However, I do want a NAS drive and a gigabit switch so I was thinking that this router might be able to solve both needs.

rated:
bickyb said:   Does anyone know if I can disable the router's router capability and just have it work as a gigabyte switch with the ability to connect hard drives to it? I don't want to use it as a router as I already have a good dual band router. However, I do want a NAS drive and a gigabit switch so I was thinking that this router might be able to solve both needs.

Disable wireless, set to bridge and turn off DHCP.. Set the Router IP on to your primary router's IP path, ie if your primary router is 192.168.1.1 the set this to 192.168.1.2..

rated:
I plan to view HD programs/channels using Roku 2 XD or XS over wireless 802.11n/g. Will this router be fast and stable enough at this bit rate assuming my cable internet connection to the router is capable? I would also like to stream 1080p video from my PC to PS3 over wireless 802.11g. Would this work fine too?

rated:
bawaji said:   I plan to view HD programs/channels using Roku 2 XD or XS over wireless 802.11n/g. Will this router be fast and stable enough at this bit rate assuming my cable internet connection to the router is capable? I would also like to stream 1080p video from my PC to PS3 over wireless 802.11g. Would this work fine too?

This router will be able to handle your Internet speeds with no problems..

No, it is not possible to reliably stream 1080p over G. Even if you heavily compress the video (ruining the point of 1080p), enable afterburner, and allow only one computer to be streaming at once, it might still drop or stutter. A solid 802.11g connection offers about 15-25Mbps.

802.11n might provide enough bandwidth, but it's highly dependent on distance and environment. The best solution would be to run ethernet wiring for a pretty much bulletproof connection.

rated:
In for one.

rated:
i got router in mail today. Now my questions are

1- if i flash with DD-WRT, can i still able to use USB ports for printer and external hard drive? (Does DD-WRT has this function)
2- after flashing, some how if i want to go back original belikin software/firmware in router, can i do that if yes then how? any link

thanks in advance

rated:
Kill-o-watt running wireless

dd-wrt mega build

Idle 4.7w file copy 5.2w

rated:
Yes for your 1st question. Need others to help your 2nd question.

roseusa said:   i got router in mail today. Now my questions are

1- if i flash with DD-WRT, can i still able to use USB ports for printer and external hard drive? (Does DD-WRT has this function)
2- after flashing, some how if i want to go back original belikin software/firmware in router, can i do that if yes then how? any link

thanks in advance

rated:
roseusa said:   

Why would you want to flash it BACK to the original firmware? The DD-WRT firmware does everything the original firmware does, but does it better and offers more customization.. Try it first with the original firmware before upgrading because I am sure the process is just as involved to get it back to stock..

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   bawaji said:   I plan to view HD programs/channels using Roku 2 XD or XS over wireless 802.11n/g. Will this router be fast and stable enough at this bit rate assuming my cable internet connection to the router is capable? I would also like to stream 1080p video from my PC to PS3 over wireless 802.11g. Would this work fine too?

This router will be able to handle your Internet speeds with no problems..

No, it is not possible to reliably stream 1080p over G. Even if you heavily compress the video (ruining the point of 1080p), enable afterburner, and allow only one computer to be streaming at once, it might still drop or stutter. A solid 802.11g connection offers about 15-25Mbps.

802.11n might provide enough bandwidth, but it's highly dependent on distance and environment. The best solution would be to run ethernet wiring for a pretty much bulletproof connection.

Thanks for your response. Got to order one now! Will be a definite upgrade over my 802.11a/b router! 15-25Mbps is the speed I get from my cable internet connection. Does that mean I will not get decent 1080p HD quality using Roku even with 802.11n? Never used Roku but am looking into it as an alternate to my cable TV connection but wouldn't want to get it if the quality would be bad.

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   
Yes for your 1st question. Need others to help your 2nd question.

Why would you want to flash it BACK to the original firmware? The DD-WRT firmware does everything the original firmware does, but does it better and offers more customization.. Try it first with the original firmware before upgrading because I am sure the process is just as involved to get it back to stock..[/Q]

thanks for reply, now i am going flash with DD-WRT

rated:
Just flash the router with dd-wrt. Just make sure you use explorer. I tried a few time with fire fox with no results.

rated:
i done flash with no problem at alland DD-WRT is running now. Time to learn settings. I need to attach printer with USB port on the router, do i need setting for that in router or it will do automaticaly?

rated:
Has anyone connected this to a dlink 1522(in bridge mode). I've tried to do that, and my connection speed goes from 20 mps to 0-4 mps. Is there any particular tomato firmware that is suited best for this?

rated:
Anyone tried connecting external hard drive to the USB port, what speed do you get transferring files to/from a computer? I'm trying to compare this with a separate NAS in terms of simple file sharing performance.

rated:
Don't have the router yet but the following was posted earlier in this thread. Hope it helps.

umenon said:   I got mine two days ago and flashed with DD-WRT. It worked as a regular AP but did not work as a Repeater Bridge (using Wifi Analyzer on my Samsung Captivate I saw the signal cycle between -60dB to no-signal every few seconds). As an AP it worked fine. I initially connected a 2.5inch USB drive (7200rpm) formatted to NTFS. With the client WIRED to the router the rate was 3MB/s. After reformatting it to ext3 ... the transfer went up to 7-8MB/s. Not impressive at all but enough to stream 1080 video stream.

Strangely, I noticed that all my N-capable wireless devices show greater SPEEDTEST.NET results when the router is in G-mode. When router is set to N-mode the speed drops 30 to 40% !! However, wireless client to USB-dongle drive is faster in N-mode. Strange paradox.

I will try Tomato this weekend.

rated:

Thanks for your response. Got to order one now! Will be a definite upgrade over my 802.11a/b router! 15-25Mbps is the speed I get from my cable internet connection. Does that mean I will not get decent 1080p HD quality using Roku even with 802.11n? Never used Roku but am looking into it as an alternate to my cable TV connection but wouldn't want to get it if the quality would be bad.

Your should be alright streaming at that speed if you have a good wireless connection..

rated:
roseusa said:   i done flash with no problem at alland DD-WRT is running now. Time to learn settings. I need to attach printer with USB port on the router, do i need setting for that in router or it will do automaticaly?

There is a USB menu in DD-WRT settings where you need to enable the USB ports..

rated:
shining2004 said:   Anyone tried connecting external hard drive to the USB port, what speed do you get transferring files to/from a computer? I'm trying to compare this with a separate NAS in terms of simple file sharing performance.

Don't expect server type speeds from a router..

rated:
Ordered this on the 7th said in stock. Now status is waiting on stock to fulfill order.

rated:
wishbone said:   Ordered this on the 7th said in stock. Now status is waiting on stock to fulfill order.

It will ship out in a few days, although when it does you should get it quickly..

rated:
wishbone said:   Ordered this on the 7th said in stock. Now status is waiting on stock to fulfill order.

In the same boat myself, but I am in no hurry. I have the Verizon FiOS Westel A90-9100EM Modem/router, which has a single USB port but apparently disabled. My reason for getting this Router is the dual USB to share a printer and a hard drive. Thanks OP.

rated:
For me, with DD-WRT, teh speed some times drops to 1Mbps and and this rate I'm not even able to browse any. I tries the settings as mentioned below, but still no improvements. I connected my Mac Book as well as HP laptop. Any one is getting good Transfer rate with DD-WRT installed on this? I have enabled only N and not Mixed mode.

djklmnop said:   Hey guys, I spent all morning playing around with the settings since my Intel Centrino 1030n wifi card wont connect at anything past 72 Mbps. After a ton of work, it turns out it's the Antenna setting under Wireless > Advanced Setting. Here's what I did:

1. CTS Protection Mode: Disabled
2. TX Antenna: Right
3. RX Antenna: Left
4. Preamble: Auto
5. WMM: Enable
6. Bluetooth CoExistance: Enable
7. Frame Burst: Disabled
8. Afterburner: Auto

I now get a connection from 150 to 300 Mbps. Before it floated around 122 to 72 Mpbs.

rated:
Only setting I changed was channel to auto.. I suggest you try and figure out what channels your router is competing with and use an free channel..

rated:
I tried all free channels available also. With channel 11, which is used in my neighborhood, some times I get 130Mbps connection. With free channels I tried, the signal drops very frequently.

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   Only setting I changed was channel to auto.. I suggest you try and figure out what channels your router is competing with and use an free channel..

rated:
Yup, same here ordered, showed in stock 2 day ship, now

Main Status: Awaiting Stock
Explanation: We are currently awaiting the stock required to fulfill your order.
Odd, about 2 hours later I rcvd an email saying my order has shipped.

rated:
varestmax said:   For me, with DD-WRT, teh speed some times drops to 1Mbps and and this rate I'm not even able to browse any.

There used to be a problem with NAT tables not releasing as quickly as they should.
I think DDWRT had the ability to set release to very fast, like 30 seconds.

NAT table
Link said: Some Linksys routers had a similar issue. The NAT table would hold dead links for something like five hours. DDWRT allowed you to change the release time. Setting it for 90 seconds fixed the freeze problem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series Quote Some performance issues have been encountered with the Linksys firmware which may cause sluggish or total network failure. This is usually caused by a large number of connections clogging the router, in other words NAT table overflow. Symptoms of NAT table overflow include inability to initiate new network connections while existing connections remain active. This is due to the small size of the NAT lookup table in default Linksys firmware coupled with a long table entry timeout. Installing a third-party firmware such as DD-WRT allows the user to change these values to prevent or delay NAT table overflow occurring. Installing a third party firmware and increasing the maximum ports setting to allow more connections is the usual solution (in DD-WRT found under Administration->Management->Maximum Ports). http://www.ben.geek.nz/linksys-wrt54gl-router/ Quote The first thing I changed was the NAT table settings, increasing the table size from the default 512 to 4096, and dropping the NAT timeout from 3600 seconds to 90. In English this basically tells the router “store heaps of connection details, but discard them pretty sharpish if you don’t need them anymore”, which is exactly the behaviour we want with Bittorrent and other P2P apps. A quick GOOGLE for DDWRT and NAT tables brings up things like this http://www.overclock.net/networking-security/370371-router-nat-table.html Quote All the gigabit routers I have have very small NAT tables - even with under 100 connections the table fills up (so no more connections can be made) http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20073419-Small-NAT-table-a-thing-of-the-past Quote A NAT table is tiny in comparison to the amount of memory used for IP buffers, especially when jumbo frames are supported. The AT has 29MB of memory, less than 1/2 of which is used. That is far more memory than is available in typical consumer routers such as Linksys. Each NAT table entry requires about 16 bytes for IPV4 addresses. The NAT table in VZ's firmware allows 128 entries. That is 2KB of memory. If 3rd party firmware where to increase the NAT table from 128 to 2000 entries, that would only be 32KB of memory. http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r22361134-Will-Tomato-DDWRT-really-increase-speed-for-15-Mbps-line Quote

rated:
Any opinion on DD-WRT mega vs Tomato K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx with USB and NTFS support?

rated:
I've got my router running the DD-Wrt Mega build following the OP link and Optware, but the biggest problem seems to be a kernel 2.6 issue. The routing works well and Optware installed and works except that I cannot run/start any of apps in it that require access to the interfaces, mainly uShare/Twonky type programs. From what I understand there are custom builds (like KONG builds in DD-Wrt) that fix the problem, so I was wondering if anyone has tried those out yet. I probably won't get to it until this weekend or after I finish my taxes..

rated:
Someone in this thread did load up the latest DD-WRT firmware but I don't know how that firmware worked for that person..

rated:
I haven't checked into it yet because I have not received the router yet, but is there any ability for this router (including WRT builds) to utilize any parental controls? Either through an open DNS or a whitelist? And that would need to be specific to MAC address.

rated:
NARC said:   I haven't checked into it yet because I have not received the router yet, but is there any ability for this router (including WRT builds) to utilize any parental controls? Either through an open DNS or a whitelist? And that would need to be specific to MAC address.
Because daddy won't give up his pr0n?

rated:
Toddler said:   NARC said:   I haven't checked into it yet because I have not received the router yet, but is there any ability for this router (including WRT builds) to utilize any parental controls? Either through an open DNS or a whitelist? And that would need to be specific to MAC address.

Wow, is that where your mind went first?

rated:
NARC said:   I haven't checked into it yet because I have not received the router yet, but is there any ability for this router (including WRT builds) to utilize any parental controls? Either through an open DNS or a whitelist? And that would need to be specific to MAC address.

OpenDNS is available for setup in the same section as DynanicDNS. You can also schedule internet for individual mac addresses. I have the Xbox 360 setup to this way.

rated:
NARC said:   Toddler said:   NARC said:   I haven't checked into it yet because I have not received the router yet, but is there any ability for this router (including WRT builds) to utilize any parental controls? Either through an open DNS or a whitelist? And that would need to be specific to MAC address.

Well, yes, it sounds a little suspicious to be honest, but this is America and you're free to live as you choose, within reason.

rated:
Toddler said:   NARC said:   Toddler said:   NARC said:   I haven't checked into it yet because I have not received the router yet, but is there any ability for this router (including WRT builds) to utilize any parental controls? Either through an open DNS or a whitelist? And that would need to be specific to MAC address.

Well, yes, it sounds a little suspicious to be honest, but this is America and you're free to live as you choose, within reason.

I'm not going to derail this thread any more after this, but it's obvious that you don't have kids and that you are not intelligent enough to understand why it might be beneficial to limit the websites they can get to on both their computer and their iPod/kindle, while not limiting my wife's or my computer. FOR INSTANCE they are not allowed on Facebook, so that will not be in their whitelist, while I still want to get on it.

And the whole "this is America and you're free to live as you choose" just makes you sound like a douche. We're on a deal site for FSM's sake.

rated:
NARC said:   Toddler said:   NARC said:   Toddler said:   NARC said:   I haven't checked into it yet because I have not received the router yet, but is there any ability for this router (including WRT builds) to utilize any parental controls? Either through an open DNS or a whitelist? And that would need to be specific to MAC address.

I'm not going to derail this thread any more after this, but it's obvious that you don't have kids and that you are not intelligent enough to understand why it might be beneficial to limit the websites they can get to on both their computer and their iPod/kindle, while not limiting my wife's or my computer. FOR INSTANCE they are not allowed on Facebook, so that will not be in their whitelist, while I still want to get on it.

And the whole "this is America and you're free to live as you choose" just makes you sound like a douche. We're on a deal site for FSM's sake.

Ok, NARC. I do have kids. My oldest is ten, and they are too young to use Facebook. We don't let them install those apps on their iPods, and all computer usage in our house is in a public place. We use OpenDNS, and neither my wife nor I find ourselves blocked from sites we want to frequent, so that's my POV. On top of that, my wife is a therapist, and it may surprise you to know that there are people who go to great lengths to hide their online activities from their spouses. So yes, that is where my mind went first. But it was also somewhat tongue-in-cheek, and I did not expect you to become upset and defensive about it. I apologize--let's get back on track.

rated:
i am the one who loaded the latest build 18774 -- looks like there is an even more bleeding edge version available now. so far i have had no problem. i used it as a regular router for the first couple of days. it has been in a repeater mode since then. i did not have any luck setting specific antenna for Rx and Tx while on repeater mode: i am not able to wirelessly connect to it at all.

rated:
I loaded mega 17990. It seems to run fine.

Then unit is a bit finicky when it comes to Gigabit connections.

My Atheros ar8131 nic which has always had trouble with gigabit attaches fine.
(Note to anyone with this nic. Go into controller properties/advanced and increase the receive buffers to 512 to resolve issues. I also increased send buffers a bit but that seems to be unnecessary)

While my 2 Realtek GBE refuse to attach at gigabit speeds. The one on my Z68xp was solid on all gigabit routers I've tested so it's strange. The one on my amd 770 was never good so it's a push.

Even with all that, I get sustained N speeds around 40-50Mbits (70Mbits max), too and from a e3000 running 16785. The routers are 2 feet from each other and I disabled all other wireless signals in the area. Yeah my neighbors have them but my house is more than 1000 feet from them.

rated:
finally took the plunge...i have a fios 9100em that needed updating and an old netgear wndr3300 with ddwrt as a wireless bridge

as others have mentioned, the latest build isn't always the best..my netgear's build (14311) is almost a year old and is fantastically stable and I haven't needed to reboot or log back into to it after setting it up months ago

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014