• filter:
  • 113 14 15161745
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Mines on the way. Is there a way to attach an external antenna? Thx.

rated:
I followed Sabre103's 1st post exactly and got Tomato up in running in 10 mins. I copied all my wifi settings, forwarded ports and mac filters from my old tomato based Linksys wrt54g and didn't even have to mess around with updating laptops and other devices. USB and Bit-torrent running perfect. Also the range is about 25% better than my old overclocked/amplified Linksys. And I love the speed the gigabit provides to my desktop!

Thank you OP for the fantastic deal!!!!

rated:
This thread is still going? I was going to pass on this, but maybe I ought to give it a shot as an access point.

rated:
put used/refurb in the title

rated:
Here is my story:

Ordered this router on 4/13 and received it today (4/21) in the afternoon via FedEx. Immediately started playing with it. FYI, I am a complete noob when it comes to network/networking or anything that has to do with TCP/IP etc. I have read this entire thread twice and because of mavens like Hypnosis4u2nv I got enough mental strength that I can do this. I can at least follow simple directions as described in the OP or the dd-wrt forum. So, I set out to do this. Followed all the instructions religiously (set down with a timer for the 30/30/30 hard reset!!) and successfully flashed mega version on it. However, after everything was done, my internet connection would just not work - wired or wireless. I was not able to go online by any means. Everything looked great, i can get on the admin console at 192.168.1.1 but thats it. I even restarted all my computers and phones and even rebooted the router several times through admin tab. Finally I was going to write to one of the experts here, like Hypnosis4u2nv but for that I needed to connect my old POS router. Right before that I got an idea and I unplugged both my modem and router, waited 5 min and replugged again. BOOM!! everything started working. Wired and wireless - woohoo!!!!

Anyhow, I just wanted to write personal thanks to the OP and everybody here for your contributions. I am very happy about getting a cheap, fast router with opensource firmware

rated:
sidewinder33625 said:   put used/refurb in the title

What is used/refurb?

If you are talking about the router through Expansys - its not used or refurb. Its brand new.

rated:
sidewinder33625 said:   put used/refurb in the title

Mine was retail box shrinkwrapped. Nothing used or refurb about this deal.

rated:
More testing with the router's Belkin firmware (1.00.08). Now one of my wireless laptops no longer reconnected wirelessly to the router when it comes out of sleep mode. Didn't have this problem yesterday or this morning, nothing's changed or been installed, other than the Belkin App software (from the CD yesterday) to this laptop recently. Have to manually force a connection now.

And while trying to reconfigure a Netgear WGPS606 Wireless Print Server to connect to the Belkin router with the Belkin firmware this afternoon, I found that the Belkin firmware doesn't support TKIP and the Netgear doesn't support AES. Only way to get the WGPS606 to connect to the Belkin router under the Belkin firmware is to lower the wireless security level to WEP or turn it off entirely.

rated:
bennor said:   Redmaple122 said:   I'm having difficulties setting up a usb printer with DD_WRT and wanted to revert back to Blekin firmware. Appreciate some one could post the steps for the revert. Thanks.
There are two ways to revert back to the Belkin firmware. I've done it both ways. You will first need the Belkin firmware. My router initially came with 1.00.06. First step is to download the Belkin router firmware if you do not already have a copy of it.

Version 1.00.06 (Aug 14 2010): http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/F7D7301_WW_1.00.06.bin
Or the newer firmware...
Version 1.00.08 (Dec 24 2010) : http://networking.belkin.com/update/files/F7D7301/v1/WW/F7D7301_WW_1.00.08.bin

The Easy Way if DD-WRT or TomatoUSB is Loaded:
Easiest way to update or revert back to the Belkin firmware is within either the DD-WRT or TomatoUSB administration page(s), go to the firmware update page and select the Belkin firmware you downloaded from the link(s) above, and then upload it to the router. Wait at least 5 minutes during which the router may reboot one or more times. After 5 minutes, configure your computer with the static IP 192.168.2.8, mask 255.255.255.0 and then log into the router's administration page at http://192.168.2.1. The Belkin status page should then load.

If for some reason the router behaves erratically (especially the wireless connection) do a 30-30-30 reset and go to the CFE web page and hit the clear/reset NVRAM link, then reboot the router.

The Longer Way:
  • Start by configuring your wired computer for the static IP 192.168.2.8, mask 255.255.255.0. Ensure your computer does not have any other network connection (like wireless) active while it is wired to the router. Remove any other wired connections to the router including the broadband modem if one is connected.
  • Do a 30-30-30 reset. press and hold in the reset button for 30 seconds, continue to hold the button in while you remove power to the router for 30 seconds, continue to hold in the reset button and reapply power and wait 30 more seconds. The router indicator light on the top front should be off.
  • Using Internet Explorer log into the router's CFE web page via http://192.168.2.1. Just to be safe I hit the clear/reset NVRAM link on the CFE page before uploading the firmware, don't know if this step is really needed.
  • Select the browse button and locate the Belkin Firmware listed above and select the upload button. You should then be notified that the file has been uploaded (or something along those lines).
  • Wait at least 5 minutes. The router will reboot one or more times during the firmware update process.
  • When 5 minutes have passed, log back into the router at http://192.168.2.1 and (hopefully) you will be at the Belkin status page. You can then reconfigure as needed.

With the Belkin firmware loaded you can use the Belkin Setup, Router Monitor Software and Apps program (installed from the CD or the link below) to install/access any USB-router connected printers. Using the Belkin firmware/Apps program I can access all of the features (scanning, fax, etc.) of my USB-router connected HP Office Jet J5700 series multi-function printer.

F7D7301 Share Max N300 Wireless N Router - Setup, Router Monitor Software and Apps: http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4871/kw/F7D7301

Thanks for the great piece of information. Appreciate it very much.

rated:
I think I've found a good solution to non functioning scanner in Tomato. Connected the printer back to the desktop and use Google Cloud Print,it works from Chrome on any other PC. They also have a stand alone paid program that can be linked to one account. I also found a free Android app called Cloud Print that works on my HP Touchpad that I have Android ICS installed on.I've seen a few post saying the Belkin firmware was a bit buggy so I'll stick with Tomato,it has been rock solid on my old router for years.

rated:
desidealmaster said:   Here is my story:

Ordered this router on 4/13 and received it today (4/21) in the afternoon via FedEx. Immediately started playing with it. FYI, I am a complete noob when it comes to network/networking or anything that has to do with TCP/IP etc. I have read this entire thread twice and because of mavens like Hypnosis4u2nv I got enough mental strength that I can do this. I can at least follow simple directions as described in the OP or the dd-wrt forum. So, I set out to do this. Followed all the instructions religiously (set down with a timer for the 30/30/30 hard reset!!) and successfully flashed mega version on it. However, after everything was done, my internet connection would just not work - wired or wireless. I was not able to go online by any means. Everything looked great, i can get on the admin console at 192.168.1.1 but thats it. I even restarted all my computers and phones and even rebooted the router several times through admin tab. Finally I was going to write to one of the experts here, like Hypnosis4u2nv but for that I needed to connect my old POS router. Right before that I got an idea and I unplugged both my modem and router, waited 5 min and replugged again. BOOM!! everything started working. Wired and wireless - woohoo!!!!

Anyhow, I just wanted to write personal thanks to the OP and everybody here for your contributions. I am very happy about getting a cheap, fast router with opensource firmware

Thank you and I'm glad you were able to get connected to enjoy the router! But I also would like to thank the countless other members who contributed with there own testing and related information on how to flash and troubleshoot the countless questions people have asked in this thread! I've never seen such a helpful and dedicated group of individuals take time to help everyone get the answers and fixes they're looking for.. This thread is filled with helpful information to get mostly everyone up and running..

rated:
bennor said:   More testing with the router's Belkin firmware (1.00.08). Now one of my wireless laptops no longer reconnected wirelessly to the router when it comes out of sleep mode. Didn't have this problem yesterday or this morning, nothing's changed or been installed, other than the Belkin App software (from the CD yesterday) to this laptop recently. Have to manually force a connection now.

I really don't think that would be something related to the router causing that problem.. Maybe another wireless network is defaulted on your laptop?

rated:
desidealmaster said:   Here is my story:

I tried this... it works now... thanks for the tip

rated:
Had WRT working fine, tried to flash tomato & i bricked it. No LED or power.

rated:
try the 30-30-30 method, wait several minutes. you may need try more than one time. I did the same thing from wrt to tomato and thought i bricked it, but i was able to revive it after third try of 30-30-30

rated:
After flash to TOMATO, I can read and write the USB hard drive wirelessly. Even the HP1018 showed up @192.168.1.1. But I can't get it work.

The links you provided seem too complicated for me. But thanks for the tip.

rated:
I've done the 30/30/30 3 times like referenced in this thread. Im going to let it set and try to tackle tomorrow.

rated:
wado1 said:   I've done the 30/30/30 3 times like referenced in this thread. Im going to let it set and try to tackle tomorrow.

I know this has been said before but if you do not turn on DHCP the router will not broadcast the IP. You will have to set you IP to the 192.168.0.1 or whatever the default IP is and only then will you be able to see the router. Its stupid I know as I myself freaked out and had to do the reset like 3 times after which I realized the above.

If you do the 30/30/30 reset then after a few mins if the router does not show a LED then unplug the power and plug it back in. That worked for me as I did get a light after a few minutes. Someone should put the instructions on how to set the correct IP to the main instructions as it will be very helpful for a few .

Shahhere

rated:
I've tried setting the IP to 192.168.1.8 and 192.168.2.8, both with Subnet 255.255.255.0 and with their respective gateways 1.1 and .2.1. Both times nothing. Tried pinging, got nothing. No Power LED either.

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   bennor said:   More testing with the router's Belkin firmware (1.00.08). Now one of my wireless laptops no longer reconnected wirelessly to the router when it comes out of sleep mode. Didn't have this problem yesterday or this morning, nothing's changed or been installed, other than the Belkin App software (from the CD yesterday) to this laptop recently. Have to manually force a connection now.

I really don't think that would be something related to the router causing that problem.. Maybe another wireless network is defaulted on your laptop?

No other network is set as default on that laptop, I removed all other wireless associations just to be sure they were not interfering. I've removed the wireless association with the router, deleted it, and created a new one, same problem. Going to do some more testing this morning to see if there is a fix for this strange issue.

Another wireless device, a Roku 2 XS, started having wireless connection problems late last night, it kept dropping the connection, had to power cycle the router to get a stable connection between the Roku and the router (using the Belkin firmware).

rated:
Simply obtained my own the other day as well as place dd-wrt onto it. Utilizing it like a customer link at this time. Attempting to allow it to be reveal my personal hardware hard disk about the system. Currently purchased 2nd 1 these days whatever the 2 dollars cost improve. Because op stated, you simply cannot discover an additional router along with hardware assistance only at that cost. eco-friendly.

rated:
wado1 said:   Had WRT working fine, tried to flash tomato & i bricked it. No LED or power.

What version of Tomato did you install?

Try holding the reset button for 30 seconds and releasing, pull the power out, plug it back in and let it boot.. After a minute or two you should see some LED activity..

Here's a few links to help you troubleshoot:
LINK 1
LINK 2

rated:
bennor said:   More testing with the router's Belkin firmware (1.00.08). Now one of my wireless laptops no longer reconnected wirelessly to the router when it comes out of sleep mode. Didn't have this problem yesterday or this morning, nothing's changed or been installed, other than the Belkin App software (from the CD yesterday) to this laptop recently. Have to manually force a connection now.

And while trying to reconfigure a Netgear WGPS606 Wireless Print Server to connect to the Belkin router with the Belkin firmware this afternoon, I found that the Belkin firmware doesn't support TKIP and the Netgear doesn't support AES. Only way to get the WGPS606 to connect to the Belkin router under the Belkin firmware is to lower the wireless security level to WEP or turn it off entirely.

I know that this router is a re-badged F7D3301, but I have to question whether or not the 1.00.08 firmware will work correctly on the F7D7301.. According to Belkin's support pages for the F7D3301 and the F7D7301, the 1.00.06 firmware is still listed as the lastest release for our version.. One would think that if the 1.00.08 was good for our router, it would be available on their support page for the F7D7301..

rated:
Honestly, unless you are looking for special functions from the router, I wouldn't change anything.
I did the upgrade to 1.00.08, this router is doing exactly what I need and more. The gigabit ports are great (primary reason for me getting the router). I love the "Self Healing" function, which will reset the router once a week automatically. The USB ports work great without any software. The only negative portions of the USB is the speed. If you are looking for NAS functions, I would not recommend it, because it is very slow. The router does not have all the neat blinking lights, which I like also. It's simple and functional. I've upgraded from Linksys WRT610N. I lost the dual band feature, which I don't miss. The gigabit speed on the Belkin is faster and more stable than the Linksys WRT610N..

rated:
After watching this for weeks I bought one. Thanks OP

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   
I know that this router is a re-badged F7D3301, but I have to question whether or not the 1.00.08 firmware will work correctly on the F7D7301.. According to Belkin's support pages for the F7D3301 and the F7D7301, the 1.00.06 firmware is still listed as the lastest release for our version.. One would think that if the 1.00.08 was good for our router, it would be available on their support page for the F7D7301..

The F7D3301 firmware is listed as rev 1.00.08. Maybe it works on the F7D7301 since it is a rebadged F7D3301? Don't know if the version numbers mean anything for the different firmwares but the 1.00.08 does have a more recent date. Hope it is easy to go back to the 1.00.06 version if the 1.00.08 version does not work out fine. I am still waiting for my router to arrive so I can play with the different firmware versions. Will eventually end up with DD-WRT or Tomato based on which is said to be running the best on this thread when I get the router!

rated:
All any help would be appreciated.

I flashed ddwrt mini and tomato fine. reverted back to ddwrt and tried to restore a ddwrt version from my current backup on the new router. evidently i bricked it...

I have tried both of fixes above and nothing will work. I have tried the 30/30/30 and cant get back to the CFE page.

symptoms:

no lights...
cant ping
Have tried all ips including static...
checked power supply
checked cable

Don't Know what else to try? any help appreciated.

rated:
PapaGayo said:   Honestly, unless you are looking for special functions from the router, I wouldn't change anything.
I did the upgrade to 1.00.08, this router is doing exactly what I need and more. The gigabit ports are great (primary reason for me getting the router). I love the "Self Healing" function, which will reset the router once a week automatically. The USB ports work great without any software. The only negative portions of the USB is the speed. If you are looking for NAS functions, I would not recommend it, because it is very slow. The router does not have all the neat blinking lights, which I like also. It's simple and functional. I've upgraded from Linksys WRT610N. I lost the dual band feature, which I don't miss. The gigabit speed on the Belkin is faster and more stable than the Linksys WRT610N..

Sorry for the newbie question --- Can simultaneous dual band be simulated by connecting two of these routers to the incoming internet connection? Based on a previous post, it looks like when using only one of these Belkin routers, if I connect a wireless a/b/g and wireless n client at the same time, the wireless n client will run at the slower wireless a/b/g speed. To avoid this, will the following work?

Incoming internet cable from Comcast cable modem ---> connect to WAN port of Router 1
Connect LAN1 port of Router 1 to WAN port of Router 2 with a cat5 cable
Connect desktop computer to LAN2 port of Router 1 with cat5 cable
Have different wireless SSIDs for Router 1 and Router 2 (say, Router-N and Router-ABG)
Connect all wireless A/B/G clients to Router 2 only and all Wireless N clients to Router 1 only

Will such a setup work? Will this allow all wireless N clients connected to Router 1 to run at the N speed even if there is a wireless A/B/G client connected to Router 2? Does it even make sense to do something like this or is there a better way? Of course, if the first router I receive works fine, this would be a good reason to purchase a 2nd router!

If this is indeed possible, it must be a standard setup. I will appreciate it if someone can let me know what this type of connection is called and where I can read up on it. Seems to differ from access point or bridge or repeater. Hope I can do the above with this router.

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   wado1 said:   Had WRT working fine, tried to flash tomato & i bricked it. No LED or power.

What version of Tomato did you install?

Try holding the reset button for 30 seconds and releasing, pull the power out, plug it back in and let it boot.. After a minute or two you should see some LED activity..

Here's a few links to help you troubleshoot:
LINK 1
LINK 2

I flashed tomato-K26USB-1.28.0497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-VLAN-RT-N-VPN-NOCAT.trx

I will look at those links, thanks.

rated:
I believe you can.
The dual band routers have 2 bandwidth (5 and 2.4).. If you use 2 of these Belkin routers, they both are using 2.4ghz. Make sure to make the channels different. You can limit one just for N connection.

The questions you have to ask yourself.. "Do I really need 2 routers? High bandwidth of wireless?"

I needed the GHZ ported router, because i do lot of data transfers between computers. If you are mostly doing things on the internet, you are limited by the speed of the internet connection, which will most likely be lot less.

Example:
if your internet connection is 10mbps through your provider, even if you are connected wireless at 300 mbps, you are only going to download at 10mbps.

rated:
I am using this router as a repeater after upgrading to dd-wrt. can this be used as access point? can I hook up a computer to this unit and get
connected to internet?

rated:
JamesBond said:   I am using this router as a repeater after upgrading to dd-wrt. can this be used as access point? can I hook up a computer to this unit and get
connected to internet?

If your Wifi signal allows for it, I would rather run it in Client Bridge mode.. But to answer your question, yes it should..

rated:
PapaGayo said:   
The questions you have to ask yourself.. "Do I really need 2 routers? High bandwidth of wireless?"

Have one only N and and have the other only B/G..

rated:
I am looking at using this in my office. We have 10 wifi computers in "N" only mode. A lot of data is transferred between computers and speed is an issue. It is a render farm on wireless lan.

What would you recommend for stable fast wifi: ddwrt, tomato or update stock? I need no other features.

rated:
wado1 said:   

Looks like the wrong version.. RT-N is for dual band routers capable of 5Ghz.. You also got the VPN instead of the STD and NOCAT instead of EXT.. Although I don't know if they would not play nice with this router, but seeing as you can't get it to work, I would say that its the wrong firmware.. See VERSIONS

rated:
OHHHHHH, I thought the RT-N was for N band routers, darn. My router is not pingable so I can't do the TFTP.

rated:
staplescrazy said:   I am looking at using this in my office. We have 10 wifi computers in "N" only mode. A lot of data is transferred between computers and speed is an issue. It is a render farm on wireless lan.

What would you recommend for stable fast wifi: ddwrt, tomato or update stock? I need no other features.

Anyone with Suggestions?

rated:
txtag said:   All any help would be appreciated.

I flashed ddwrt mini and tomato fine. reverted back to ddwrt and tried to restore a ddwrt version from my current backup on the new router. evidently i bricked it...

I have tried both of fixes above and nothing will work. I have tried the 30/30/30 and cant get back to the CFE page.

symptoms:

no lights...
cant ping
Have tried all ips including static...
checked power supply
checked cable

Don't Know what else to try? any help appreciated.

Any Ideas?

rated:
thanks.

what is the difference between client bridge and repeater bridge? and
benefit to have client over repeater?

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   JamesBond said:   I am using this router as a repeater after upgrading to dd-wrt. can this be used as access point? can I hook up a computer to this unit and get
connected to internet?

If your Wifi signal allows for it, I would rather run it in Client Bridge mode.. But to answer your question, yes it should..

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   wado1 said:   

Looks like the wrong version.. RT-N is for dual band routers capable of 5Ghz.. You also got the VPN instead of the STD and NOCAT instead of EXT.. Although I don't know if they would not play nice with this router, but seeing as you can't get it to work, I would say that its the wrong firmware.. See VERSIONS

Assuming my changes are approved by a moderator, I've updated the link to Tomato firmware in the Member Summary so that it goes directly to the correct firmware version for this router:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1advtbzj4bodjai

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014