• 116 17 18192045
  • Page
  • Text Only
staplescrazy said:   Is it possible to use the USB Port to run a 3G USB Adapter? Think dat would be super awesome.
Short answer, maybe. You would probably need to run DD-WRT on the router to do so. See the following DD-WRT links...

DD-WRT USB
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB

Mobile Broadband (requires DD-WRT PROFESSIONAL platforms)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/3G_/_3.5G

Cellular Phone/USB Modem as WAN connection
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Cellular_Phone/USB_Modem_as_WAN_connection

Sounds like it supports my Alcatel 3G Modem. Cant wait to try it. Hope to get my units soon.

If you can still boot into the Belkin or DD-WRT firmware, try resetting the firmware to default values. Then perform the steps to get to the CFE web page, or perform a 30-30-30 reset to access the CFE web page. Once on the CFE web page hit the clear/reset NVRAM link BEFORE uploading new firmware.
Thanks. I can access the Belkin router via 192.168.2.1, and can change the settings. I did reset the router to default before flashing, also tried to reset NVRAM value, but followed by reboot, then the router went back to the original firmware. I didn't get any message when uploading the first file. No other cables or wifi when doing 30/30/30. Now I suspect the firewall may be blocking the file transfer. Thank you for reminding me that. Will try this and other suggestions later. Thanks.

would you mind sending me a pm with the correct version so i don't brick another one with Cisco firmware.
thank you!!

GilbertsGrape said:   would you mind sending me a pm with the correct version so i don't brick another one with Cisco firmware.
thank you!!

Correct version links are in the Member Summary page..

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   
I went through the exact same thing when I was going to Tomato.. CFE menu would go to a blank page after trying to load the firmware to flash.. Took a few times but eventually the flash went through and I got the loading page.. The password was screwed up too since I used the same username and password, admin/admin, and it drove me nuts to get it reset.. I found that holding down the reset button for about 10 seconds solved that and reset the password..

I think it is important for people to note this issue. In Sabre103's post, he did mention that:
12) Navigate to the firmware upload screen and then load the trx file from step 2. I selected the option to reset the settings after flash.

He did not report that he had any problem with username/password. So probably this is the key when flashing from dd-wrt to tomato.

I went through exact steps as you did, but I only hold the reset for a few seconds to reset the password when the power is plugged in.

I just ordered one. Thx op!

Finally got around to flashing mine last night, DD-WRT mega installed in 15 minutes, followed the online DD-WRT instructions to set it up as a WAP. It's playing very nicely with my Linksys E2000/Tomato router downstairs, and is giving a nice boost to my wireless signal upstairs.

$22 well spent. Thanks, OP, I'd green you again if I could.

I QUIT

I have a BS in IT
I have built numerous PCs
I have flashed ROMs on Windows PCs, Android phones, and tablets
I am a tech nerd

All that said........brick number frickin 2. Same thing that happened last time. WRT goes in fine, flash tomato (tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-VLAN-RT-VPN-NOCAT.trx), can't get to 192.168.1.1. I do a normal reset of the router, it comes on with LED's. It asks me for the password. Last time I had no idea so I did a reset which may have bricked it. This time, IM READY! I put in root/admin....no dice, I put in root/root, no dice....i put in admin/admin, nope, admin/root, nope. I put the WRT user/pass, NO DICE. I tried everything. So I do a normal reset and of course....BRICK CITY.

Did a hard reset, still brick city.

Im done. Screw it.

wado1 said:   I QUIT

All that said........brick number frickin 2. Same thing that happened last time. WRT goes in fine, flash tomato (tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-VLAN-RT-VPN-NOCAT.trx), can't get to 192.168.1.1. I do a normal reset of the router, it comes on with LED's. It asks me for the password. Last time I had no idea so I did a reset which may have bricked it. This time, IM READY! I put in root/admin....no dice, I put in root/root, no dice....i put in admin/admin, nope, admin/root, nope. I put the WRT user/pass, NO DICE. I tried everything. So I do a normal reset and of course....BRICK CITY.

Come on man, don't give up! The same thing happened to me and I did not have good luck loading the nocat and I settled with the tomato version on one and DD-WRT on the other from the thread summary. Since it was requesting a pass it is most likely not bricked and a reset should not brick it. It is probably something little that you are over looking in your frustrations and I would unplug it and take a break and try it again when you feel like it. Reset it with the reset button and make sure you are only connected to the router and no other networks. Try to ping it with the computers network on 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x. the ending ip # 1 and 2 and once you find it try and log in to that address and type root/root if it announces tomato. for the user/pass. The auto fill on the user field did not seem to work until I typed over it.

Also, if it is not truly bricked, their should be a wireless network connection visible and you can connect to it.

Thanks Sabre! I

paulgien said:   
Come on man, don't give up! The same thing happened to me and I did not have good luck loading the nocat and I settled with the tomato version on one and DD-WRT on the other from the thread summary. Since it was requesting a pass it is most likely not bricked and a reset should not brick it. It is probably something little that you are over looking in your frustrations and I would unplug it and take a break and try it again when you feel like it. Reset it with the reset button and make sure you are only connected to the router and no other networks. Try to ping it with the computers network on 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x. the ending ip # 1 and 2 and once you find it try and log in to that address and type root/root if it announces tomato. for the user/pass. The auto fill on the user field did not seem to work until I typed over it.

Also, if it is not truly bricked, their should be a wireless network connection visible and you can connect to it.

I think you maybe be right with the NOCAT, I wanted to try that out but maybe that's the culprit. I've reset and got nothing. Every time I ping i get no t=, only Request Timed Out and Destination Host. Tried root/root, didn't work. I physically typed in all user/pass combos. The same Wireless connections are available that were before i got the routers. Their bricked, lol.

The NOCAT may be the problem. I know tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext works.

I have a BS in IT
I am a tech nerd

Im done. Screw it.

I'm telling you that I went through the exact same thing with Tomato before I was able to clear the username/password to get access.. The fact that you even were asked for a username/password is proof your router is not bricked..

Power it up and give it a few minutes to boot and then perform:

Disconnect the router from UTP cables (not the power cable).
Push reset button for 30 secs.
Without releasing reset button, disconnect power cord.
Hold the reset button for another 30 secs.
Replug the power cord.
Still hold the reset button for another 30 secs.
Release the reset button and give the router about 10 secs to resettle.
Disconnect power cord for another 10 secs and then reconnect.
All should be in default settings now.

I thought I bricked my unit also, but as long as your getting a login screen, that's a really positive sign.. I would also use Chrome + IE to get into the login, alternate between the two (close one out and open another) because your IP settings may not be sticking in the current browsers settings..

I will try that but I am not getting the login screen anymore. After I reset the modem, no more login screen. I have been using Safari (Mac).

try using the WPS button on the front for the reset process. I never got the reset button on the rear to work, but it worked the first time using the WPS button on front.

wado1 said:   I will try that but I am not getting the login screen anymore. After I reset the modem, no more login screen. I have been using Safari (Mac).
I had trouble putting DD-WRT on a different router using Mac OS Safari. The flash file simply did not want to load--kept getting a "connection was reset" message. I then tried Firefox, and everything went through fine.

yoregano said:   wado1 said:   I will try that but I am not getting the login screen anymore. After I reset the modem, no more login screen. I have been using Safari (Mac).
I had trouble putting DD-WRT on a different router using Mac OS Safari. The flash file simply did not want to load--kept getting a "connection was reset" message. I then tried Firefox, and everything went through fine.

I forgot about that, but I saw the very same thing the first time I tried to flash. I switched over to a Windows 7 machine and used IE's "In Private" mode successfully.

Had to install DD-WRT on my gf's router. Tomato would stop responding after 10 minutes of internet use.

Question: How do I get DLNA installed onto DD-WRT?

Thanks OP, I received the router yesterday. Installation of DD-WRT was painless (have done it several times before with my WNDR3300, WNDR3700, and WRT54G) and it's working well as a Repeater Bridge. This is worth getting an extra just to keep as a backup!

I have to wonder how many of those saying they bricked their routers actually have issues connecting to them because they did not enable DHCP.
(and no, I don't have a computer science degree)

g10ny said:   I have to wonder how many of those saying they bricked their routers actually have issues connecting to them because they did not enable DHCP.
(and no, I don't have a computer science degree)

I set my IP as 192.168.1.8, subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway/Router 192.168.1.1 on both of my bricks. Then switched to 192.168.2.8 and etc. I got nothing. Plus no ping, login prompt, or LED light.

I had to switch from Tomato to DD-WRT because Tomato was disconnecting internet almost every hour or less.
In Tomato, I had some VOIP problems as I posted before, I found the solutions to them by unchecking QoS, or by increasing the bandwidth allocations.
Now that I switched to DD-WRT, I am experiencing that VOIP is not very reliable. Calls drop sometimes in the middle of conversation. With my main router, WNDR3700, it never happened.
Internet access lost once after 2 straight days of operation, we had to reboot the router.

Switched over to a N wireless adapter, changed the router to N only, and now the internet is working great under Tomato. What's more, my Tivo Premiere now sees the Belkin, so can play music and videos from an attached USB drive! So awesome! Thanks OP.

wado1 said:   
I set my IP as 192.168.1.8, subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway/Router 192.168.1.1 on both of my bricks. Then switched to 192.168.2.8 and etc. I got nothing. Plus no ping, login prompt, or LED light.

I don't understand how a reset would brick your router and I still don't think you have.. Try without the gateway settings and switch your IP up, try 192.168.1.5 or something.. Hell, give 192.168.0.x a shot also.. If you happen to get a log-in screen again, try to TFTP DD-WRT firmware instead of Tomato in hopes of reviving the router.. Try a Windows 7 machine also.. Hell, even try the WPS button as a reset button..

NoDeal4me said:   I had to switch from Tomato to DD-WRT because Tomato was disconnecting internet almost every hour or less.
In Tomato, I had some VOIP problems as I posted before, I found the solutions to them by unchecking QoS, or by increasing the bandwidth allocations.
Now that I switched to DD-WRT, I am experiencing that VOIP is not very reliable. Calls drop sometimes in the middle of conversation. With my main router, WNDR3700, it never happened.
Internet access lost once after 2 straight days of operation, we had to reboot the router.

What versions of DD-WRT have you run.. Some older versions run better than the current version..

djklmnop said:   Had to install DD-WRT on my gf's router. Tomato would stop responding after 10 minutes of internet use.

Question: How do I get DLNA installed onto DD-WRT?

It's just as tedious as getting NTFS support, among other things, installed and setup on the router.. The main thing is that you need to install Optware on an external drive and then you can install all the different packages.. If your speed expectations don't go over 7MBs (and that's a really high ceiling), then you can take a look HERE for instructions..

Oh this is so weird...I've never seen people really want to do that

roseusa said:   
2- after flashing, some how if i want to go back original belikin software/firmware in router, can i do that if yes then how? any link

Some performance measurements:
System->N300->usb HD 3.86 MB/s
System->usb HD 35 MB/s
System1->System2 60 MB/s

The belkin firmware defaults to the IP 192.168.2.1. DD-WRT defaults to the IP 192.168.1.1. Make sure you configure your static IP to an IP for the proper network.

After you flash the device to the DD-WRT firmware, you may have trouble accessing http://192.168.1.1. If you are sure your static IP has been assigned properly and you can ping 192.168.1.1 from the command prompt, try the following. Some web browsers have URL caches that may prevent you from loading http://192.168.1.1 properly. To get around this, try specifying http://192.168.1.1/index.asp instead.

IT WORKS!

Unplugged brick #2 last night and just left it. Just got back home from work and the bar and plugged it in. The LED came on so I set the static IP, went to 192.168.1.1 and the logic screen came up. Typed root/admin and WALA, TOMATO!. Had to do a couple things to get DHCP working but everything is working now.

Thanks guys. Guess I will try brick #1 tomorrow.

EDIT: Been messing with the settings and the highest I get is 130MBPS. I read some tips a few pages back but its still there.

wado1 said:   IT WORKS!

Unplugged brick #2 last night and just left it. Just got back home from work and the bar and plugged it in. The LED came on so I set the static IP, went to 192.168.1.1 and the logic screen came up. Typed root/admin and WALA, TOMATO!. Had to do a couple things to get DHCP working but everything is working now.

EDIT: Been messing with the settings and the highest I get is 130MBPS. I read some tips a few pages back but its still there.

I'm glad you got it to work, and I'm even more glad it's not bricked although I knew it wasn't based on what you said..

As for speed, both DD-WRT and Tomato give me 150mbs speeds, I wouldn't worry about what it says as far as connection.. Test with jperf for real speed results..

How do you safely remove usb device from this router, anyone know, just pull it off?

3rd time may be a charm i have bricked 2 myself. last one Belkin gave me the 600n as a replacement

I have a BS in IT
I am a tech nerd

Im done. Screw it.

I have two laptops, one connected at 150mbs and 2nd one connected at 300mbs with stock firmware. I am thinking about flashing it with ddwrt and tomato to try them out.

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   wado1 said:   IT WORKS!

I'm glad you got it to work, and I'm even more glad it's not bricked although I knew it wasn't based on what you said..

As for speed, both DD-WRT and Tomato give me 150mbs speeds, I wouldn't worry about what it says as far as connection.. Test with jperf for real speed results..

jamesdoris said:   Thanks Sabre! I

You are welcome...credit goes to NickB2B on Slickdeals

I am trying to review how people are messing up firmware upgrades. Explanation (Tomato firmware) on 2nd post is very detailed but still people are having issues.

I have flash 4 routers with this process and haven't had one issue. I would like to help further but don't know what else to add other than to follow the instructions EXACTLY

Whatever speed you see in wireless status is only 'negotiated' speed.
In order to get 300mbps 'negotiated' speed, you need following 3 requirements met:

1. You need to set the router's wireless channel width to 40mhz instead of the default 20mhz.
2. you need a client (adapter/pc/device) that is capable of 300mbps on both sending and receiving. sadly, many adapters on the market are either 150m or only one way 300m.
3. you need to have minimum obstacle and interference.

It is very hard to see 300m in real world deployment.

With that said, even when you see 300mbps negotiated, your real throughput would most likely be something around 100-200mbps when you test with software.
The negotiated speed would only set how fast the two ends will TRY to talk, but in wireless world, NEVER would you see ALL words heard by the other side.

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   

My 1st time. so I got the 1st order and flash to tomato using the provided instructions, seems alright. Haven't test the 2 USB, DLNA, or Gigabit but the wireless n is working. For around $21 shipped, can't beat it.

So I ordered a 2nd one last night so I will flash it to DD-WRT. Good for testing and learn. $21 is equivalent to buying a book so imo, this is worth it for learning.

I got ddwrt working at last! I was having problem getting CFE menu to browse the mini firmware after the 30/30/30 reset. I have to messed around with setting the static ip several times. After flashing the mega firmware, I couldn't login to the router 192.168.1.1 ip. I have to unplug the router power supply. I hope this will help someone.

Sabre103 said:   jamesdoris said:   Thanks Sabre! I

You are welcome...credit goes to NickB2B on Slickdeals

I am trying to review how people are messing up firmware upgrades. Explanation (Tomato firmware) on 2nd post is very detailed but still people are having issues.

I have flash 4 routers with this process and haven't had one issue. I would like to help further but don't know what else to add other than to follow the instructions EXACTLY

Tried to see if I could bring back brick #1 but no success. Being that I flashed that RT-N firmware on it, it might be bricked BUT I did get a login screen before it died. Still working.

wado1 said:   Tried to see if I could bring back brick #1 but no success. Being that I flashed that RT-N firmware on it, it might be bricked BUT I did get a login screen before it died. Still working.

Let it sit for a few minutes to boot, then try getting access to the firmware page without resetting..

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014