• filter:
  • 117 18 19202145
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Off topic; anyone knows how to hack the router to add the external antennas for better range?

rated:
I just ordered mine the evening of Friday 4/20 and I received it yesterday 4/27. Brand new! Whotta deal!

I'm going to have to research more of the Tomato vs DD-WRT pros & cons. Does anyone have any links for that?

rated:
i know the bandwidth is half of the original in Bridge mode (2nd router).is any body tell me what about in Repeater Mode?

rated:
ablang said:   I just ordered mine the evening of Friday 4/20 and I received it yesterday 4/27. Brand new! Whotta deal!

I'm going to have to research more of the Tomato vs DD-WRT pros & cons. Does anyone have any links for that?

Text

rated:
roseusa said:   i know the bandwidth is half of the original in Bridge mode (2nd router).is any body tell me what about in Repeater Mode?

Same thing..

rated:
Does anyone know what the best setting under "IP Filter setting (adjust these for P2P):
vegas
westwood
reno
bic
cubic
highspeed
hybla
htcp
scalable

rated:
Thanks! worked great!

rated:
I just bought two of these provided they were still in stock today. I am leaning towards Tomato for the QoS and for future firmware updates. Do we know what the majority of purchasers are using - Tomato or DD-WRT or OpenWRT?

rated:
tvman1961 said:   I just bought two of these provided they were still in stock today. I am leaning towards Tomato for the QoS and for future firmware updates. Do we know what the majority of purchasers are using - Tomato or Dd-WRT or OpenWRT?

I'm using both on two separate routers..

rated:
I'm a big fan of dd-wrt mainly.

I tried tomato but on the platform I was using it had bugs.

openwrt is just .. no. (or was the last time I looked at it years ago)

rated:
Got 2 and got tomato loaded and running. What a deal!

rated:
I prefer tomato due to the simpler interface. BUT, I had the router up and running for about 3 days, then all of a sudden it wouldn't connect to the internet. switched back to my old buffalo router and it worked immediately. Spent about 3 hours tonight trying to get it up and running again. If it happens again, it is going in the trash. (or CL)

rated:
Brew said:   I prefer tomato due to the simpler interface. BUT, I had the router up and running for about 3 days, then all of a sudden it wouldn't connect to the internet. switched back to my old buffalo router and it worked immediately. Spent about 3 hours tonight trying to get it up and running again. If it happens again, it is going in the trash. (or CL)

Same thing happened with me, and I went back to my old Linksys. I was also running Tomato. Maybe will try DD-WRT but I'm not impressed with these routers. Craiglist?

rated:
Can't seem to get tomato's DHCP working. The setting is set but can't seems to connect except with static IP. Anyone else having this problem?

rated:
randi4ni said:   I'm a big fan of dd-wrt mainly.

I tried tomato but on the platform I was using it had bugs.

openwrt is just .. no. (or was the last time I looked at it years ago)

OpenWrt has changed alot in the last year or so. It's probably the most stable firmware I've ever used. I have routers with Tomato, DDwrt and OpenWrt. OpenWrt uptime and features are second to none. The interface is user friendly now (but could use a bit more work). Unfortunately, I don't think there's a build for this router yet.

rated:
I have been using dd-wrt for many years. I just started using Tomato for a day now. It is easier to use usb drive and can't get printer to work yet.

tvman1961 said:   I just bought two of these provided they were still in stock today. I am leaning towards Tomato for the QoS and for future firmware updates. Do we know what the majority of purchasers are using - Tomato or DD-WRT or OpenWRT?

rated:
Has anyone decided what software they think runs best on this router? Gives best all around performance? Tomato or DD-WRT? Maybe if someone could give a breakdown on the differences between both firmwares it could help the uninitiated make a decision on what to flash. Thanks in advance.

rated:
I picked up two. One is running DD-WRT in client mode to connect to an open WiFi, the other is running Tomato as a plain old AP with a USB HDD slaved to it. When I flashed Tomato on one through the DD-WRT flash feature, I lost my ethernet ports, they would not respond to a ping at all. Luckily the wireless was up as "Wireless" so I connected to it and set my wireless nic static at 192.168.1.1. I then did a reset defaults and clear NVRAM and still my ethernet ports would not work. I connected wirelessly and configured it as an AP, voila, my ethernet ports were back on-line. Very strange, but it worked.

As for speeds, the AP Tomato one is giving me real world speeds of 50'ish Mbps to my all gigabit LAN. The client mode DD-WRT is giving me a reliable 18Mbps of internet speed to my neighbors house two townhouse units over from me.

rated:
GlueSniffinEd said:   
As for speeds, the AP Tomato one is giving me real world speeds of 50'ish Mbps to my all gigabit LAN. The client mode DD-WRT is giving me a reliable 18Mbps of internet speed to my neighbors house two townhouse units over from me.

Those are really good wireless speeds for an access point and the client mode also considering the distance..
I have been running DD-WRT and Tomato as access points side by side with two routers for over a week now and I have not experienced any connection drop outs.. Some of you with those problems should try giving the stock firmware and chance before completely giving up on it.. Although, for what you paid, it doesn't seem to be a great loss.. Sorry it didn't work out for you..

rated:
So... I'm running the mega ddwrt version as recommended in the 2nd post. I've noticed that PAT forwarding does not seem to work, anyone else having this issue?

I've tried basic port forwarding (not range forwarding, I do not want that) as well as port translation forwarding.

rated:
For those with issues on DD-WRT running the latest firmware 18946, give this older one a try.. Some people reported better results with the older firmware 15396..

dd-wrt.v24-15396_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin

rated:
I can only speak for mine, but on my client mode one I have OpenVPN forwarded through to my Synology NAS as well as PPTP. OpenVPN works great from my work, haven't tried PPTP yet.

rated:
Hi Sabre,
In your instructions you had mentioned on step 11 -

11) When logging into the ww-drt interface for the first time it prompts you for a password, I cleared the  password just to be safe.

Could you please let me know how to clear the password.

I have got the router and downloaded the required files, was going thru' your steps and just wanted to make sure I got everything right, before trying.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sabre103 said:   jamesdoris said:   Thanks Sabre! I

You are welcome...credit goes to NickB2B on Slickdeals

I am trying to review how people are messing up firmware upgrades. Explanation (Tomato firmware) on 2nd post is very detailed but still people are having issues.

I have flash 4 routers with this process and haven't had one issue. I would like to help further but don't know what else to add other than to follow the instructions EXACTLY

rated:
youngchemist2003 said:   Can't seem to get tomato's DHCP working. The setting is set but can't seems to connect except with static IP. Anyone else having this problem?

I had some difficulty in there too. Here is the procedure:

Once you login to TOMATO from http://192.168.1.1, enable DCHP under Basic=>Network=>LAN.
Check STP enabled, DHCP enabled. (I am not sure what STP is, I checked it)
Click OK, then save. (Key thing is to click OK, otherwise change will not hold)

Hope this helps.

I purchased 2 routers. I loaded "tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-VLAN-RT-VPN.trx" on both, On both routers, I lose internet connectivity very frequently. When that happens, I cannot even ping or login to 192.168.1.1. Interestingly, I had Skype running during one of those disconnects, echo test worked but I did not have access to Internet or to management interface at 192.168.1.1. I am guessing, there is some setting for DNS getting broken there. I do not know how to fix it. I prefer to use Tomato because of its simplicity but I do not want to reboot the router every 10 minutes.

On one of the routers, I loaded "dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin". Even though it is stable, it is giving me VOIP problems intermittently. Also, making USB, NAS and DLNA to work is very difficult. I have the USB drive working after installing mini samba, but I have not tried installing Optware to make DLNA to work. On DD-WRT, I have the "SPI Firewall" enabled. Once enabled, it creates VOIP problems. If I disable it, then some ports open up to scanners. So, I kept it enabled.

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   For those with issues on DD-WRT running the latest firmware 18946, give this older one a try.. Some people reported better results with the older firmware 15396..

yup, after reading through the ddwrt forums this is the conclusion I came to as well. My wife seems to have the rest of the day planned for me though, so maybe I'll get to testing that one tomorrow or later

To be honest this bleeding edge version seems kinda screwy, my wireless signal seems to go up and down, port forwarding and PAT don't seem to work right, etc... That being said it appears to allow internet access just fine. I'll post back after I get a chance to put 15396 through the ringer. I already tried tomato, its screwy and unstable for me, but maybe its the same reason, the version we are trying is too bleeding edge new.

rated:
I choose not to use the wireless on this router at all.
For wireless I use my old router as an attached AP because of its awesome range (buffalo whr-HP-54G).
For WAN and LAN I use this Belkin. Chose Tomato (Toastmans VLAN). It provides VLAN on a separate port, and it does QOS well, and it has a real fast CPU and gigabit connection. Thatís the teal benefit of the Belkin for me. Not itís wireless, which seems mediocre.

abzstrak said:   Hypnosis4u2nv said:   For those with issues on DD-WRT running the latest firmware 18946, give this older one a try.. Some people reported better results with the older firmware 15396..

yup, after reading through the ddwrt forums this is the conclusion I came to as well. My wife seems to have the rest of the day planned for me though, so maybe I'll get to testing that one tomorrow or later

To be honest this bleeding edge version seems kinda screwy, my wireless signal seems to go up and down, port forwarding and PAT don't seem to work right, etc... That being said it appears to allow internet access just fine. I'll post back after I get a chance to put 15396 through the ringer. I already tried tomato, its screwy and unstable for me, but maybe its the same reason, the version we are trying is too bleeding edge new.

rated:
Installed DD-WRT on the router using the instructions in the second post and it went well with minor hiccups. Was running fine for a while. Now, I am unable to connect my PC which is connected to a LAN port on the router to access the internet. An OBi110 device hooked up to another LAN port works fine and a PS3 and smartphone connecting using wireless are able to access the internet.

I switched LAN ports and also tried setting my IP address to "auto assign" as well as 192.168.1.8 and the PC still does not connect to the internet. It can access the router setup page fine with the IP address set to 192.168.1.8 and the browser pointing to 192.168.1.1. Connecting the old router connects the PC to the internet just fine. Looks like it must be something on the PC but I can't figure out what since the old router works with auto assigned IP address. Have disconnected the Belkin and will try it after a few hours. If it still doesn't work, I will reinstall the Belkin firmware to see if it will work with that and try to install DD-WRT all over again. Any other advice?

Assuming I can get this to work again, is there any setting for the router so I can set my PC to assign IP address automatically instead of having to set it to 192.168.1.8?

rated:
bawaji said:   Installed DD-WRT on the router using the instructions in the second post and it went well with minor hiccups. Was running fine for a while. Now, I am unable to connect my PC which is connected to a LAN port on the router to access the internet. An OBi110 device hooked up to another LAN port works fine and a PS3 and smartphone connecting using wireless are able to access the internet.

I switched LAN ports and also tried setting my IP address to "auto assign" as well as 192.168.1.8 and the PC still does not connect to the internet. It can access the router setup page fine with the IP address set to 192.168.1.8 and the browser pointing to 192.168.1.1. Connecting the old router connects the PC to the internet just fine. Looks like it must be something on the PC but I can't figure out what since the old router works with auto assigned IP address. Have disconnected the Belkin and will try it after a few hours. If it still doesn't work, I will reinstall the Belkin firmware to see if it will work with that and try to install DD-WRT all over again. Any other advice?

Assuming I can get this to work again, is there any setting for the router so I can set my PC to assign IP address automatically instead of having to set it to 192.168.1.8?

Auto Assign the IP in your network settings of the PC when your done installing DD-WRT.. Sometimes a restart will have to be performed if you still can't get access.. It's not the router, by the settings to your NIC..

rated:
Bhagwan said:   I choose not to use the wireless on this router at all.
For wireless I use my old router as an attached AP because of its awesome range (buffalo whr-HP-54G).
For WAN and LAN I use this Belkin. Chose Tomato (Toastmans VLAN). It provides VLAN on a separate port, and it does QOS well, and it has a real fast CPU and gigabit connection. Thatís the teal benefit of the Belkin for me. Not itís wireless, which seems mediocre.

For me, it will not replace DIR-825 as my primary router.. My uses will be more to expand my wireless network by connecting it to my current LAN network and creating a AP from another end of the house where I have a poor Wifi signal.. Or I could use this as a client bridge where I don't have a network cable run.. Or I could use it as a gigabit switch..

I may take apart the router and see if there is a way to add external antennas to possibly get a stronger Wifi signal.. $22 doesn't seem all that bad to risk for an experiment although if anyone on this thread bricked their router is content on donating photos of it's internals, that would be appreciated as well..

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   
Auto Assign the IP in your network settings of the PC when your done installing DD-WRT.. Sometimes a restart will have to be performed if you still can't get access.. It's not the router, by the settings to your NIC..

That makes me feel really dense! All my PC needed was a reboot. I am so used to keeping the PC on all the time that I did not even consider rebooting it. Hooked up the router again, restarted the modem, router and PC and it works fine! Thanks again Hypnosis4u2 for all your help! This is indeed a great thread! Now to figure out how to set up my Norton firewall to allow me to stream music and movies using Windows Media Player network settings to my PS3!

In case the following is of help to some users... My PC has a 100mbps ethernet port. When I hooked up the Belkin for the first time, it connected at 1000mbps but every time my PC went to sleep, the PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse would lose connection and I had to hard restart my PC --- probably why the Belkin worked for a while! What I had to do was to set up my NIC in Windows XP to only connect at 100mbps (NIC properties --> Configure --> Advanced tab --> Media Type set to "100Mb Full Duplex" instead of "Auto"). After that, no more loss of connection of keyboard and mouse. However, this is when I finished installing the DD-WRT mega build and forgot to restart the PC, leading the internet connection to not work. Wish I had thought about restarting instead of beating my head against the wall and finally going back to my old router!

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   For those with issues on DD-WRT running the latest firmware 18946, give this older one a try.. Some people reported better results with the older firmware 15396..

It seems to be more stable for me. I set it up as a repeater. But you have to be closer to the AP and no obstructions.

rated:
Bought two of these a few weeks ago from the previous thread. I have not used Tomato. I have used DD-WRT on both of my Belkins. One replaced my main router (Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT) and is setup for wireless B/G, the other is setup for wireless N. I've tested 15396, 16994 and 18946 versions. Been running the latest version for two weeks and have noticed no issues whatsoever. I have VoIP, GigaNews, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Xbox Live, lots of local media streaming from WHS, VPN access (which notifies me on any disconnects--so far only once), and about 30 DHCP clients on my home network. I have no need for attaching USB devices, however, so I can't report on that feature. For my needs, these Belkins (so far) have surpassed my expectations in every way.

Seems like people keep saying they prefer Tomato because it is simpler, but also seems like it's the Tomato users having the most issues. I am an IT guy and my curiosity makes me want to check it out, but the fact that things are running flawlessly under DD-WRT prevents me from making any changes. I would encourage you guys to at least give DD-WRT a try before deciding to "trash" or "Craigslist" the Belkin. And even if you're still unsatisfied, keep in mind that it's also a gigabit switch (a five-port switch if you reassign the WAN port), which is still useful and a pretty good deal for $21.99.

rated:
Toddler said:   Bought two of these a few weeks ago from the previous thread. I have not used Tomato. I have used DD-WRT on both of my Belkins. One replaced my main router (Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT) and is setup for wireless B/G, the other is setup for wireless N. I've tested 15396, 16994 and 18946 versions. Been running the latest version for two weeks and have noticed no issues whatsoever. I have VoIP, GigaNews, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Xbox Live, lots of local media streaming from WHS, VPN access (which notifies me on any disconnects--so far only once), and about 30 DHCP clients on my home network. I have no need for attaching USB devices, however, so I can't report on that feature. For my needs, these Belkins (so far) have surpassed my expectations in every way.<deleted>

Can you please detail how you connected the two routers to have one for B/G wireless clients and the other for N wireless clients? It will be nice if you could list how the routers are hooked up with cables to your incoming internet connection and the settings on each router. I would like to do something similar and would like to know how to start. If there is a link listing the setup, I would appreciate it if you could point me to it. Do you use Roku or similar device for Netflix, Hulu Plus or do you stream from your PC to a gaming console? How is the quality for hi-def video streaming? Thanks!

rated:
bawaji said:   Toddler said:   Bought two of these a few weeks ago from the previous thread. I have not used Tomato. I have used DD-WRT on both of my Belkins. One replaced my main router (Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT) and is setup for wireless B/G, the other is setup for wireless N. I've tested 15396, 16994 and 18946 versions. Been running the latest version for two weeks and have noticed no issues whatsoever. I have VoIP, GigaNews, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Xbox Live, lots of local media streaming from WHS, VPN access (which notifies me on any disconnects--so far only once), and about 30 DHCP clients on my home network. I have no need for attaching USB devices, however, so I can't report on that feature. For my needs, these Belkins (so far) have surpassed my expectations in every way.<deleted>

Can you please detail how you connected the two routers to have one for B/G wireless clients and the other for N wireless clients? It will be nice if you could list how the routers are hooked up with cables to your incoming internet connection and the settings on each router. I would like to do something similar and would like to know how to start. If there is a link listing the setup, I would appreciate it if you could point me to it. Do you use Roku or similar device for Netflix, Hulu Plus or do you stream from your PC to a gaming console? How is the quality for hi-def video streaming? Thanks!

It's really simple, just setup two different wireless networks with one set to B/G only and the other set to N only. Internet coming into the B/G router, the other one wired into the main router using a LAN port (in my case, the WAN port reassigned to LAN). Nothing special going on there.

I stream ISOs or local video files to various devices including WDTV Live, XBMC, Tivo, etc. I mainly stream Netflix, Hulu, etc. using the Tivo, WDTV and Xbox 360 apps, but my whole house is wired for gigabit. The only devices that stream wirelessly are iPads, Windows 8 on a Samsung Slate 7, and other portable devices. HD video is fine, though.

I've also streamed video from my Slingbox to the net. I watched the Nashville Predators-Detroit Red Wings game 5 that way on a Southwest WiFi-enabled flight back to Nashville from Las Vegas last Friday night. Streaming from my Tivo through the Slingbox, and through the Belkin obviously, to my Windows 8 tablet. The WiFi on the plane wasn't very fast, but the home network had no issues and it was fun to do. I typically connect to the Slingbox from my Android phone or my work PC over better connections, and that looks great.

rated:
Agreed that for $22, these rock as just a gigabit switch. Any/all wireless connectivity is gravy at this price. The USB connectivity is also an excellent option and worth some work to make it function. Got one the other day and have ddwrt functioning just fine on it, but it can't see my full NTFS external drive... need see if Tomato will fix that issue. Doing the optware thing seems like too much effort. I'm happy enough to have put in another order for one so I can have a gigabit backbone running over my installed ethernet cables..

rated:
Toddler said:   Bought two of these a few weeks ago from the previous thread. I have not used Tomato. I have used DD-WRT on both of my Belkins. One replaced my main router (Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT) and is setup for wireless B/G, the other is setup for wireless N. I've tested 15396, 16994 and 18946 versions. Been running the latest version for two weeks and have noticed no issues whatsoever. I have VoIP, GigaNews, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Xbox Live, lots of local media streaming from WHS, VPN access (which notifies me on any disconnects--so far only once), and about 30 DHCP clients on my home network. I have no need for attaching USB devices, however, so I can't report on that feature. For my needs, these Belkins (so far) have surpassed my expectations in every way.

Seems like people keep saying they prefer Tomato because it is simpler, but also seems like it's the Tomato users having the most issues. I am an IT guy and my curiosity makes me want to check it out, but the fact that things are running flawlessly under DD-WRT prevents me from making any changes. I would encourage you guys to at least give DD-WRT a try before deciding to "trash" or "Craigslist" the Belkin. And even if you're still unsatisfied, keep in mind that it's also a gigabit switch (a five-port switch if you reassign the WAN port), which is still useful and a pretty good deal for $21.99.

I had DD-wrt installed first and ran it for a day or so. Me not being an IT guy(I am a carpenter) It was way over my head and way too many options for me to figure out what I need to do to get it right. I tried tomato lite, but for some reason the download speeds were really low compared to the full version. Tomato does everything I need, and worked flawlessly on my Buffalo router for years. Only reason I don't want to go back to the buffalo is my speeds are about 50-75% higher on the belkin. Only issue I had was the one time when it wouldn't connect to the net. I am hoping it was a simple user/configuration error I can figure out.

rated:
Brew said:   I had DD-wrt installed first and ran it for a day or so. Me not being an IT guy(I am a carpenter) It was way over my head and way too many options for me to figure out what I need to do to get it right.
Definitely not trying to talk you out of whatever works for you, but I'm sure you'd get plenty of assistance here with any DD-WRT questions. There are a lot of options, but just ignore whatever you don't understand. The basic functions work just like any other router.

rated:
anyone have any tips on getting the USB speeds faster? I have a usb 2.0 drive hooked up and average about 1.5mbps transfer speeds. (Tomato)

rated:
Toddler said:   
Definitely not trying to talk you out of whatever works for you, but I'm sure you'd get plenty of assistance here with any DD-WRT questions. There are a lot of options, but just ignore whatever you don't understand. The basic functions work just like any other router.

Ya, part is just me getting older and not enjoying all the learning any more. There was a time I would have dug in and spent days and weeks studying trying to tweak every setting to the max. But now I just want it to work. I will give tomato a while longer and see if it was a fluky thing that caused the dropout, if not, then maybe come over to the dark side.

Brew

rated:
Brew said:   anyone have any tips on getting the USB speeds faster? I have a usb 2.0 drive hooked up and average about 1.5mbps transfer speeds. (Tomato)

Is that over wireless? I am assuming you mean Mbytes instead of Mbits?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014