• 121 22 23242545
  • Page
  • Text Only
Bah, too many router deals over the years...
have Netgear WNDR 3300, Linksys WRT54G, Verizon <$10 (Westell), 2x Asus 520gu, DLink 655, and now I want one of these... help me.

never mind

Danzilla said:   Bah, too many router deals over the years...
have Netgear WNDR 3300, Linksys WRT54G, Verizon <$10 (Westell), 2x Asus 520gu, DLink 655, and now I want one of these... help me.

I hear you. My router progression has gone from a Linksys WRK-54G (yes there really was a WRK-54G), a WRT-54G (two of them), a WRT-54G2 V1, a Netgear WNR1000v2 (free from a family member), and now this Belkin F7D7301 router. I've run DD-WRT on the WRT-54G and the WRT-54G2 routers. The WRT-54G2 was a truely horrible router that ran poorly with the stock Linksys firmware and with DD-WRT. No amount of tinkering could get the WRT-54g2 to run problem free.

So far this router is the better of the bunch at half or a quarter of the cost I spent on the other routers. Running just fine with dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_big firmware on it.

bennor said:   BongWater said:   I tried a couple of times to install Tomato instead but I was never able to get it installed. I tried multiple times with the same result: I updated the dd-wrt mini but on first login it would ask for a user and password (which I created) but when I tried to then log in to update to Tomato it would not accept the user or password that I created. I tried about 6 times before I decided to just use dd-wrt.
When the Tomato firmware is flashed via the DD-WRT mini, Tomato does not use the DD-WRT username and password login information. The reason for this is the way DD-WRT stores the http_passwd variable. Tomato should default (as far as I've seen when flashing to TomatoUSB on the F7D7301) to the following login...
Username: root
Password: admin

See the "why doesn't my password work" Tomato FAQ link for more information.


Thanks for the reply! However the problem that I had is that after flashing the dd-wrt mini, It asked me to create a new user and password. I then tried to click on Administration to upload Tomato but the user and password screen popped up. I tried the user and password that I just set up but it wouldn't accept it. I even redid the dd-wrt-mini and put in a username but blanked out the password fields, but still no go. After about 5-6 tries, I gave up and just did the dd-wrt mini and dd-wrt mega which worked fine.

According to the instructions posted, the Tomato install uses a different dd-wrt mini than the dd-wrt mega install. Could that be where I went wrong?

No.. The mini build gets the router ready for the bigger builds of DD-WRT or Tomato..

You could hold the reset button for 10 seconds to clear the settings to default allowing you access..

which Mini we need before we flash with
dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin

It makes no difference what Mini version you use to flash any version of DD-WRT or Tomato..

BongWater said:   Thanks for the reply! However the problem that I had is that after flashing the dd-wrt mini, It asked me to create a new user and password. I then tried to click on Administration to upload Tomato but the user and password screen popped up. I tried the user and password that I just set up but it wouldn't accept it. I even redid the dd-wrt-mini and put in a username but blanked out the password fields, but still no go. After about 5-6 tries, I gave up and just did the dd-wrt mini and dd-wrt mega which worked fine.

According to the instructions posted, the Tomato install uses a different dd-wrt mini than the dd-wrt mega install. Could that be where I went wrong?
If after installing the DD-WRT Mini it didn't accept the username and password you created, how were you able to: "just did the dd-wrt mini and dd-wrt mega which worked fine"?

According to this DD-WRT Link, after DD-WRT is reset the default DD-WRT login gets reset to: user "root", password "admin" (without quotes).

Sometimes it helps to power cycle the router after it has been successfully flashed before logging into the new flashed firmware for the first time.

Finally was able to flash dd-wrt mini then Tomato. Thanks everyone for help!
Used another "clean" laptop since my PC had lots of soft installed (I suspect Cisco VPN client was causing issues even though I disabled it).
Also THIS post was really helpful. I think that info should be added to the Tomato instructions as I saw many people had the login issue.

bennor said:   BongWater said:   Thanks for the reply! However the problem that I had is that after flashing the dd-wrt mini, It asked me to create a new user and password. I then tried to click on Administration to upload Tomato but the user and password screen popped up. I tried the user and password that I just set up but it wouldn't accept it. I even redid the dd-wrt-mini and put in a username but blanked out the password fields, but still no go. After about 5-6 tries, I gave up and just did the dd-wrt mini and dd-wrt mega which worked fine.

According to the instructions posted, the Tomato install uses a different dd-wrt mini than the dd-wrt mega install. Could that be where I went wrong?
If after installing the DD-WRT Mini it didn't accept the username and password you created, how were you able to: "just did the dd-wrt mini and dd-wrt mega which worked fine"?

According to this DD-WRT Link, after DD-WRT is reset the default DD-WRT login gets reset to: user "root", password "admin" (without quotes).

Sometimes it helps to power cycle the router after it has been successfully flashed before logging into the new flashed firmware for the first time.


When I did the tomato I used the mini file: dd-wrt.v24-15396_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_f7d3301.bin which after updating wouldn't let me past the password screen.

For the dd-wrt mega I used the mini file: dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_f7d3301.bin which I had no problem logging in to.

I did not realize that I could use either mini file to update to Tomato. Being pretty new at this stuff, I wanted to follow the instructions exactly. At least the dd-wrt mega is meeting all of my needs for now.

So if I want to try Tomato in the future I would need to do a 30/30/30, update to either mini, and then update to Tomato? Thanks again for your help!

BongWater said:   So if I want to try Tomato in the future I would need to do a 30/30/30, update to either mini, and then update to Tomato?
Short answer. Yes. Thatís one way to update to Tomato. Another way is to do it right from DD-WRT Mega if it's currently loaded.

A couple of times I updated straight from the DD-WRT Mega to Toastman's TomatoUSB firmware and things seem to work just fine in TomatoUSB. I always selected, on the firmware update page, the option "reset to default settings" when doing the firmware flash from DD-WRT Mega to TomatoUSB.

Never mind. All I have to do is 'nvram erase' on serial port.

[EDITED]
Ignore the following if you don't get this trouble.
Could anybody post CFE boot parameters here? I tried to load a latest tomato. I got it bricked and the ethernet link never came back no matter 30/30/30 or CFE command lines.
Here is what I got from serial consoleecompressing...done
Init Arena
Init Devs.
Boot partition size = 131072(0x20000)
CPU type 0x19740: 453MHz
Tot mem: 65536 KBytes

CFE mem: 0x80700000 - 0x8079AD20 (634144)
Data: 0x80731E00 - 0x807341B0 (9136)
BSS: 0x807341B0 - 0x80734D20 (2928)
Heap: 0x80734D20 - 0x80798D20 (409600)
Stack: 0x80798D20 - 0x8079AD20 (8192)
Text: 0x80700000 - 0x80731DF4 (204276)


Copying boot params.....
DONE


Bootloader version 1.00e boot_version 1.00e
Project name : WG7117F22 2-LF-AK
Press space bar to cancel startup...
Loader:raw Filesys:raw Dev:flash0.os File: Optionsnull)
Loading: .. 5192 bytes read
Entry at 0x80001000
Starting program at 0x80001000
Linux version 2.6.22.19 (root@tomato) (gcc version 4.2.4) #36 Mon Apr 23 12:28:0 3 ICT 2012
CPU revision is: 00019740
Determined physical RAM map:
memory: 04000000 @ 00000000 (usable)
Zone PFN ranges:
Normal 0 -> 16384
HighMem 16384 -> 16384
early_node_map[1] active PFN ranges
0: 0 -> 16384
Built 1 zonelists. Total pages: 16384
Kernel command line: root=/dev/mtdblock2 noinitrd console=ttyS0,115200
Primary instruction Cache 32kB, physically tagged, 4-way, linesize 32 bytes.
Primary data Cache 32kB, 4-way, linesize 32 bytes.

I am amazed that this deal is still alive.

Using it for my home with 8 devices connected with 2 streaming video. Works like a charm.

mambonumber6 said:   Using it for my home with 8 devices connected with 2 streaming video. Works like a charm.
Are you using the tomato dlna server to stream?

I've successfully loaded DDwrt-mini and then BIG (instead of Mega). NOw I want to try tomato for HD video streaming from my hard drive if hats better than DDWRT-Big. Could someone please suggest the steps. Much appreciate your help.

When upgrading from mega to big (to gain NTFS support) can you just straight flash it? Will it retain the settings? Or do you need to backup the settings, clear settings and upgrade, then restore them?

TightOnDollar said:   I've successfully loaded DDwrt-mini and then BIG (instead of Mega). NOw I want to try tomato for HD video streaming from my hard drive if hats better than DDWRT-Big. Could someone please suggest the steps. Much appreciate your help.

is dd-wrt not working for streaming from hard drive?

mmarcuse said:   When upgrading from mega to big (to gain NTFS support) can you just straight flash it? Will it retain the settings? Or do you need to backup the settings, clear settings and upgrade, then restore them?

Straight flash should work with no problems..

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   mmarcuse said:   When upgrading from mega to big (to gain NTFS support) can you just straight flash it? Will it retain the settings? Or do you need to backup the settings, clear settings and upgrade, then restore them?

Straight flash should work with no problems..

Also note, from the DD-WRT FAQ that you shouldn't backup/restore across builds.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Index:FAQ#How_do_I_upgrade_...

Hi I bought this router and installed DD-WRT FIRMWARE, everything is fine, recently i upgraded my modem (has built-in router) to docsis 3.0. but modem router gives me speed aroudn 24mbps (2.4GHZ) but Belkin Router always gives me around 6-9mbps, does anyboy knows what settings i have to set to get to that speed? btw is this router support 5GHZ?

So far the dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_big works fine with one bug with the NAS/Samba feature. For some reason when I use the same workgroup name ("workgroup") in the NAS/Samba configuration that my Windows (XP/7) computers use, I cannot access the router or the attached USB drive via the Network Neighborhood in Windows. Windows XP computers throw an error when trying to access "workgroup". However if I map the router's USB drive via the router's IP address the USB drive can be accessed. Do not have this issue when using the dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega firmware. For now I can live with this bug since it gives me NTFS support without having to mess with trying to load and configure Optware in the DD-WRT mega firmware.

Edit to Add: Post edited to correct a typo.

bennor said:   So far the dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_big works fine with one bug with the NAS/Samba feature. For some reason when I use the same workgroup name ("workgroup") in the NAS/Samba configuration that my Windows (XP/7) computers use, I cannot access the router or the attached USB drive via the Network Neighborhood in Windows. Windows XP computers throw an error when trying to access "workgroup". However if I map the router's USB drive via the router's IP address the USB drive can be accessed. Do not have this issue when using the dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega firmware. For now I can live with this bug since it gives me NTFS support without having to mess with trying to load and configure Optware in the DD-WRT mega firmware.
Why didn't you use dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_big?

Its a typo I copied the wrong file name. I did use dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.

I tried that file, dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin, since the DD-WRT Peacock Thread-FAQ recommends the 14929 K2.6 version on certain Broadcom routers. That firmware bricked the router each time I tried to load it, had to revert back to the CFE and upload the 18946 Mini before uploading either the 18946 Big or Mega DD-WRT firmware.

Also found that on one particular computer with Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 loaded, Kaspersky was blocking the firmware upload from the CFE page when enabled. Once I disabled Kaspersky from running I was able to upload firmware via the CFE page.

Edit to add: I posted more on my NAS/Samba issue with the "big" firmware to the following DD-WRT thread.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=686462

So, I made this my primary router, but websites are running very slow. I have a few wireless connections to the router, and one GbE connection. It can take several seconds just to load google. Anyone having a similar experience, and aware of any solutions? I haven't had the gumption to install DD-WRT or tomato yet.

feuertier said:   So, I made this my primary router, but websites are running very slow. I have a few wireless connections to the router, and one GbE connection. It can take several seconds just to load google. Anyone having a similar experience, and aware of any solutions? I haven't had the gumption to install DD-WRT or tomato yet.
Loading DD-WRT or Tomato probably IS the solution.

mmarcuse did you straight flash from mega to bin and verify it works fine yet? I'm debating on either adding NTFS support to mega or just flashing dd-wrt big on mine. I have no use for vpn support at the moment anyway.

I got it and it works fine. I really don't see much improvement over the old Belkin I was using, however for the price I can't complain.

wheresmystuff said:   I got it and it works fine. I really don't see much improvement over the old Belkin I was using, however for the price I can't complain.

What kind of "improvement" were you expecting?

so i bought the router
install the dd wrt big version
everything seems to be working fine.. i want to use the usb function so i enabled it in the dd wrt settings..
now what?

would tomato be any easier to use?

I installed Tomato last night and I am using the media server and it is working very well. Does anyone know how to get the server to read an .xml or .edl file to skip commercials? I am streaming the media to my $65 Sony Bluray Player. Thanks in advance.

eversavage said:   so i bought the router
install the dd wrt big version
everything seems to be working fine.. i want to use the usb function so i enabled it in the dd wrt settings..
now what?

would tomato be any easier to use?


Try tomato. Literally just had to check a box to get my usb printer and hard drive to show up.

freakyboyz007 said:   Hi I bought this router and installed DD-WRT FIRMWARE, everything is fine, recently i upgraded my modem (has built-in router) to docsis 3.0. but modem router gives me speed aroudn 24mbps (2.4GHZ) but Belkin Router always gives me around 6-9mbps, does anyboy knows what settings i have to set to get to that speed? btw is this router support 5GHZ?

24mbps ≠ (2.4GHZ)
6-9mbps could be good depending on your wireless signal strength and wireless connection speed.

This router does not support 5ghz.

Thanks OP! and all the tips posted and information to flash open-source firmware. I installed Tomato on the router and it's been running great. I have only tested USB drive and don't have printer to try yet.

Got it yesterday and would like to update the firmware, should I install both DDR-wt and tomato or just one of them? Anybody can give some advice?

Thanks!

You can only install one at a time. Try both and see which one meets your needs better. I have only installed DD-WRT but it has been working fine so far. I am not using the USB ports.

If I install the second one, is the first one tried previously "overwritten" automatically?

bawaji said:   You can only install one at a time. Try both and see which one meets your needs better. I have only installed DD-WRT but it has been working fine so far. I am not using the USB ports.

lovecd said:   If I install the second one, is the first one tried previously "overwritten" automatically?

bawaji said:   You can only install one at a time. Try both and see which one meets your needs better. I have only installed DD-WRT but it has been working fine so far. I am not using the USB ports.

Yes.

I ordered a second one to setup as a wireless client bridge. But am I really going to see much better sustained high-speed (N) streaming compared to my previous G-G router setup?

I currently get only 50-65 Mbps to my tablet. I've tried N-only, all channel width options, ensured physical proximity. Will having the same router model improve chances of streaming speeds

scholar10 said:   I ordered a second one to setup as a wireless client bridge. But am I really going to see much better sustained high-speed (N) streaming compared to my previous G-G router setup?

I currently get only 50-65 Mbps to my tablet. I've tried N-only, all channel width options, ensured physical proximity. Will having the same router model improve chances of streaming speeds


In theory, it should.. I set up my Wireless N Notebook and my wireless G Android phone the same distance apart from the router and got better speeds with N than with G.. Other factors like how strong your wireless device radio is are contributing factors to speed also, not just the router.. My Thrive tablet has no problem picking up a decent signal from the other end of the house where my Android phone has trouble keeping the connection and my Notebook has a poor signal but keeps the connection..

In other words, there is NO real data we can give you regarding what would give you better speeds because everyone has a unique setups, environments and devices within their home network..



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014