• 122 23 24252645
  • Page
  • Text Only
I usually stay away from anything Belkin but my current wireless router is acting up so I took a chance and ordered 2. With free shipping!

Received it today and flashed to DD-WRT problem free. Quick question if anyone can help, what is the recommended TCP keepalive timer if you're running torrent client?

can any body help?
i got 2 router
Router A i installed MEGA and since that day its working solid.
Router B i installed Tomato. I want to use this as client bridge and i want to attach 2 printers (1-USB 1-RJ45) and 1 NTFS (USB) hard drive
Now questions are
1- some computer attached wirelessly with Router A and want to print on printer attached with Router B and same want to Read/Write on HDD attached with router B.
2- some computer attached to Router B and want to read/write on Windows Home Server attached with router A.

is that all possible and what setting do i need.
Thanks

Roseusa http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=50001850&postcount=317 there is post (by ginolee) over in the SD website thread about this router that has some basic directions on setting up a Client Bridge.

OK. Got the big build and an NTFS USB hard drive connected and available.
I'm trying to connect a USB printer to the other port.
On my Mac (OS X Lion), it seems like I successfully added a Windows printer by adding the printer at the router's name smb://workgroup/dd-wrt

When I try to print, I get a password dialog. Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks bennor i see that and i will try this. thanks again

Thanks to OP, got me 3 of these:
. 1 as a plain ol' gig-switch (not a bad deal even as a switch
with belkin firmware and USB printer + Ext (backup) drive
. 1 as a repeater/bridge with recommended dd-wrt big image, but
can only get a sustained 130-144 mbps - nowhere close to the
official 300mbps
. lastly, intend to create a special build based on the recommended
dd-dwrt mega source plus OpenFlow - as a development system

A developers dream for just $66 ;!)

Who buy not double band router nowadays? Just to play with 3rd party firmware and have fun? Perhaps it worth it
Men never grow up

KPACOTKA said:   Who buy not double band router nowadays? Just to play with 3rd party firmware and have fun? Perhaps it worth it
Men never grow up

Why buy it?
1. It's only $20. I don't see any 2.4/5ghz routers with gigabit wired networking for $20
2. 3rd party firmware turns a $20 router into a nas or media streaming box. A 2tb nas will run you $$$, this way you just need to attach a usb drive.
3. Women buy this router too.

roseusa said:   can any body help?
i got 2 router
Router A i installed MEGA and since that day its working solid.
Router B i installed Tomato. I want to use this as client bridge and i want to attach 2 printers (1-USB 1-RJ45) and 1 NTFS (USB) hard drive
Now questions are
1- some computer attached wirelessly with Router A and want to print on printer attached with Router B and same want to Read/Write on HDD attached with router B.
2- some computer attached to Router B and want to read/write on Windows Home Server attached with router A.

is that all possible and what setting do i need.
Thanks

Set router B up in client bridge mode. Then it will be accessible by any on the network.

Looks like there is a newer version of tomato.
tomato-K26USB-1.28.7498.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext

BTW for those who didn't know...
Ext = normal + Extra utilities + NTFS

just received it and it works great. ddwrt.big NAS and samba works great. there isn't a DLNA features on it such as miniDLNA. any way to install this. i just want DLNA from my external attached on the router to stream media to my led lg tv, ps3s and phone around the house.

KPACOTKA said:   Who buy not double band router nowadays? Just to play with 3rd party firmware and have fun? Perhaps it worth it
Men never grow up

The access control rules in Tomato are also great for Men who like to control what and and when their teenagers access on the internet. I use opendns for content control (P2P and non-appropriate content) and shut down xbox live, the ipods and basement PC after 11PM on school nights and 1AM on weekends. If you can find another N router with a Broadcom chipset that will run tomato for $22 then you are more grown up than us Men. The reason this forum is so large because flashing the firmware on a router to the many different versions of DD-WRT and Tomato can be difficult and temporarily stop the router from working so this is mostly a technical support forum at this point - although the router is still available for $22 shipped.

wizardking said:   Looks like there is a newer version of tomato.

Been running that firmware on and off for over a week now. Previously mentioned this firmware back on May 2nd (page 20 of this thread).
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1182506/m16894452/#m16894452

Men never grow up

Keep in mind that this router also comes with four (five if you count the WAN port) switched Gigabit ports. That alone makes this router worth the $22 I paid for it. The rest, including the two USB ports was just gravy.

NRG said:   just received it and it works great. ddwrt.big NAS and samba works great. there isn't a DLNA features on it such as miniDLNA. any way to install this. i just want DLNA from my external attached on the router to stream media to my led lg tv, ps3s and phone around the house.
The TomatoUSB firmware has Media server DLNA (and NTFS, NAS, Samba, USB printing) support.
http://tomatousb.org/

See wizardking's post above for the link to the current latest version of the Toastman K26USB firmware (tomato-K26USB-1.28.7498.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext) that works on this router. Note: you may have to register on 4Shared to be able to download the Toastman firmware.

bennor said:   NRG said:   just received it and it works great. ddwrt.big NAS and samba works great. there isn't a DLNA features on it such as miniDLNA. any way to install this. i just want DLNA from my external attached on the router to stream media to my led lg tv, ps3s and phone around the house.
The TomatoUSB firmware has Media server DLNA (and NTFS, NAS, Samba, USB printing) support.
http://tomatousb.org/

thanks. tomatoUSB works great. dlna streaming on three different devices at the same time and saw zero issues with lag.
best router i've ever bought. replaced my wrt54g-tmobile with mega ddwrt.

bennor said:   wizardking said:   Looks like there is a newer version of tomato.

Been running that firmware on and off for over a week now. Previously mentioned this firmware back on May 2nd (page 20 of this thread).
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1182506/m16894452/#m16894452

I updated the Member Summary to reflect the latest Tomato firmware..

Been really busy at work the last few days so I am glad that we are continuing to support one another..

I've tried this a few different ways and no go. Both drives are FAT32. I can get each to work alone, but not together.

If anyone has set up the Belkin to carry two USB drives, can you please post what you did on the Services>NAS page?

What I did can't be right (I added a second "Share" drive and put it under "tmp/mnt/disc0_part1"). What that does is show two network "Drives," but both of them are the same -- and are just the smaller thumb drive I have attached (i.e., the second drive attached does not show up).

Thanks!

jplee3 said:   mbwd said:   Thanks. That worked. Anyone tried to use two USB drives on the two USB ports? I can't figure out how to set it up. I tried on the Services>NAS page adding a second path to "Disc0_Part1" -- the only other option except "/Dev" (which gave me the router's file structure -- and no go. Anyone tried this?

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   DD-WRT USB NAS INSTRUCTIONS

***WITHOUT THE OPTWARE PACKAGE INSTALLED WITH THE NTFS DRIVER, NTFS FORMATTED DRIVES WILL NOT WORK***

NOTE: I USED A FAT32 FORMATTED DRIVE.

Under Services --> USB

Core USB Support -- Enable
USB Printer Support -- Disable
USB Storage Support -- Enable
Automatic Drive Mount -- Enable

Disk Mount Point -- /mnt

Save Settings

Under Services --> NAS

Samba -- Enable
Use Custom Configuration -- Disable
Server String -- <path to your main router, ie 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1>
Workgroup -- workgroup

Add Shares
Path -- /tmp/mnt/disc0
Name -- <whatever you want to name it>
Public -- Check the box yes
Access -- Read/Write

Save Settings then Apply Settings and Reboot Router

Now go into Network and wait for it to finish scanning.. Your router will show up with whatever name you gave it, default is DD-WRT.. Click on that and it will show the name you gave your share. Click on that also and it should now be inside your USB Storage Device..

Is your second drive formatted in NTFS? Make sure it's formatted in FAT32 or EXT3. That might be why it's not showing up. Else, try rebooting the router after plugging in the second unit (or just give it a few more minutes to show if you just plugged it in)

BostonOne said:   OK. Got the big build and an NTFS USB hard drive connected and available.
I'm trying to connect a USB printer to the other port.
On my Mac (OS X Lion), it seems like I successfully added a Windows printer by adding the printer at the router's name smb://workgroup/dd-wrt

When I try to print, I get a password dialog. Anyone have any suggestions?

Did you add users to your Samba shares?

mbwd said:   I've tried this a few different ways and no go. Both drives are FAT32.

If anyone has set up the Belkin to carry two USB drives, can you please post what you did on the Services>NAS page?

What I did can't be right (I added a second "Share" drive and put it under "tmp/mnt/disc0_part1"). What that does is show two network "Drives," but both of them are the same -- and are just the smaller thumb drive I have attached (i.e., the second drive attached does not show up).

Thanks!

Did you set the second share path to tmp/mnt/disc1?

The first is: tmp/mnt/disc0
The second is: tmp/mnt/disc0_part1

I don't have an option for ...disc1.

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   mbwd said:   I've tried this a few different ways and no go. Both drives are FAT32.

Thanks!

Two Drives
Disclaimer
mbwd said:   The first is: tmp/mnt/disc0

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   mbwd said:   I've tried this a few different ways and no go. Both drives are FAT32.

Thanks!

I am using two NTFS formatted flash drives at the same time using the BIG build of DD-WRT.. If your not on that, I suggest you go to the Member Summary page and download it, flash it over your existing DD-WRT build and try it again..

Thanks man. The picture helps confirm that mine ain't workin. I'll go with BIG and report back.

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   mbwd said:   The first is: tmp/mnt/disc0

Thanks!

I am using two NTFS formatted flash drives at the same time using the BIG build of DD-WRT.. If your not on that, I suggest you go to the Member Summary page and download it, flash it over your existing DD-WRT build and try it again..

Well, I upgraded to BIG, but the song remains the same. I can get one or the other of the FAT drives to show up, but not both. Here is what shows up with both drives on and after rebooting the router:

--- /dev/discs/disc0/disc
Block device, size 1.891 GiB (2030043136 bytes)
DOS/MBR partition map
Partition 1: 1.891 GiB (2029914624 bytes, 3964677 sectors from 251)
Type 0x0B (Win95 FAT32)
Windows NTLDR boot loader
FAT32 file system (hints score 4 of 5)
Volume size 1.887 GiB (2025934848 bytes, 494613 clusters of 4 KiB)

If you have any other ideas, let me know. Otherwise, I'll have to deal with just one drive.

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   mbwd said:   The first is: tmp/mnt/disc0

Thanks!

mbwd said:   Well, I upgraded to BIG, but the song remains the same. I can get one or the other of the FAT drives to show up, but not both. Here is what shows up with both drives on and after rebooting the router:

--- /dev/discs/disc0/disc
Block device, size 1.891 GiB (2030043136 bytes)
DOS/MBR partition map
Partition 1: 1.891 GiB (2029914624 bytes, 3964677 sectors from 251)
Type 0x0B (Win95 FAT32)
Windows NTLDR boot loader
FAT32 file system (hints score 4 of 5)
Volume size 1.887 GiB (2025934848 bytes, 494613 clusters of 4 KiB)

If you have any other ideas, let me know. Otherwise, I'll have to deal with just one drive.

I am assuming both your drives are working..
Do you have USB Printer Support disabled?
Try formatting them to NTFS..

With TomatoUSB (tomato-K26USB-1.28.7498.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext) I had no trouble with the firmware mounting two USB flash drives (2 x 4GB Sandisk FAT32 flash drives) and then having Samba (at its default settings) showing both drives on the network.

However with DD-WRT dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_nas and dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega both failed to mount the second USB flash drive. Even tried using a powered USB hub. No go. Only one of the two flash drives would be recognized. I normally only run one USB drive on this router so I never noticed this issue before.

What should happen is when both drives are mounted they should show up as tmp/mnt/disc0 and tmp/mnt/disc1 (or something like that) in the NAS/Samba. There is some talk on the DD-WRT forums that using HDsamba2 solves the multiple USB drive issue.

bennor said:   With TomatoUSB (tomato-K26USB-1.28.7498.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext) I had no trouble with the firmware mounting two USB flash drives (2 x 4GB Sandisk flash drives) and then having Samba (at its default settings) showing both drives on the network.

However with DD-WRT dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_nas and dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega both failed to mount the second USB flash drive. Even tried using a powered USB hub. No go. Only one of the two flash drives would be recognized. I normally only run one USB drive on this router so I never noticed this issue before.

What should happen is when both drives are mounted they should show up as tmp/mnt/disc0 and tmp/mnt/disc1 (or something like that) in the NAS/Samba. There is some talk on the DD-WRT forums that using HDsamba2 solves the multiple USB drive issue.

Don't know if other factors play a role in flash drive recognition during mounting, but I have both a 16GB and 4GB working on the BIG build.. I can access both of them without trouble..

Yeah, so, I'm an idiot. It was that I didn't have USB Printer Support disabled! Thanks H.

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   mbwd said:   

mbwd said:   Yeah, so, I'm an idiot. It was that I didn't have USB Printer Support disabled!

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   mbwd said:   

No biggie, you got it working.. USB Printer Support takes one USB port away from NAS so I figured that you probably did have it enabled..

2 USB drives attached
Disclaimer

1 USB drive attached
Disclaimer
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   
Don't know if other factors play a role in flash drive recognition during mounting, but I have both a 16GB and 4GB working on the BIG build.. I can access both of them without trouble..

Its strange. With TomatoUSB both drives, current testing is one 4GB flash drive and one 30GB USB drive, are seen. With DD-WRT only one is seen, the one connected to port 1 (right hand USB port). Attached are some screen captures that show how the Big firmware sees both drives attached then just a single drive attached to USB port 2 on the router. Don't know if the Belkin cannot properly power both ports at the same time with DD-WRT, or if some other factor is causing the issue. USB printing is disabled.

I wonder if it is a power issue with the USB ports.. Is the 30GB a 2.5 drive? Did you try a second flash drive? I wonder if the different drive types are the problem? Fat32 and NTFS..

I have the newest compatible tomato firmware setup on this and have a couple questions..

Is there WPS functionality so I can connect a WPS capable printer? If not is there any other way to connect the printer wirelessly?

Also, how would I go about setting up DLNA so I can stream to devices from a hardrive connected to the router via USB?

Tomato Multiple Drives Example 1
Disclaimer

Tomato Multiple Drives Example 2
Disclaimer
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   I wonder if it is a power issue with the USB ports.. Is the 30GB a 2.5 drive? Did you try a second flash drive? I wonder if the different drive types are the problem? Fat32 and NTFS..
The second drive not being recognised with DD-WRT happens regardless if two USB flash drives, both FAT32, are used or if one flash drive (FAT32) and one USB external hard drive (NTFS) is used. If I pull one of the two attached drives from USB port 1 on the router, the remaining drive on port 2 is recognized and properly mounted. In all cases with DD-WRT when two drives are attached to both USB ports, only the drive on port 1 is recognised and mounted. With TomatoUSB both drives are recognised, as indicated with the attached two pictures which would seem to indicate that its not a power issue with the USB ports.

jtroye32 said:   I have the newest compatible tomato firmware setup on this and have a couple questions..

Is there WPS functionality so I can connect a WPS capable printer? If not is there any other way to connect the printer wirelessly?

Also, how would I go about setting up DLNA so I can stream to devices from a hardrive connected to the router via USB?

Neither TomatoUSB nor DD-WRT support WPS. Check with your printer's documentation on how to configure it for a wireless connection. Most if not all wireless printers should support connecting to a wireless network without using WPS. It is generally recommended that you assign a static IP to the printer, either by configuring the router to assign a fixed IP address to the printer (based on the printer's MAC address), or within the printer setup using a static IP that is outside of the range the router will use for it's DHCP server. Again the printer's documentation should detail how to configure the printer for a static IP address.

To activate the Media/DLNA Server on TomatoUSB, log into Tomato and select "USB and NAS" then select "Media Server". On the "Media/DLNA Server" page select the "Enable" check box (put a check in the box). You can then configure the other options as needed. Normally, I simply select "Enable", then set "Database Location" to "RAM (Temporary)" then hit the "Save" button. The router then shows up as a "Media Device" in Windows 7. You may also want to select "Basic" then "Identification" from the menu and change the "Hostname" value if the router appears with the name "unknown" as the media server or device name on the network.

Can someone tell me if client bridging will affect bandwidth for the components connected to it? For instance, currently I have a pc, smart TV, and ps3 all connected to a wireless n router. The pc and smart TV both have wireless n adapters. I'm assuming the ps3 will have better bandwidth having a wired connection to the client bridge, but will the PC and smart TV also getter bandwidth thru the client bridge? Thanks in advance.

It appears there is a well-documented WPS security vulnerability issue. For example, pl. see:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/6/2849893/wi-fi-alliance-wps-secu...
So unclear if your image has the fix or not.

While it may be ok to "temporarily" enable WPS just to get the printer "hooked up", it is unsafe to leave it enabled beyond that. Actually, if the printer is "wireless" enabled, then you should be able to use it's config screen to acquire an IP addr via DHCP. And on the router, immediately after "hookup", make permanent (through a reservation) of that DHCP-assigned info: printer-name, MAC-address, and ip-address. Using the assignments table on the router, periodically, you can check the dhcp assignment table at the router to ensure there are no "free loaders" lurking on your wireless network It is still not a fool-proof check (due to MAC address spoofing), but just another check... One can also periodically get new ip-addresses assigned to make it a little more difficult to spoof.

venkatbo said:   It appears there is a well-documented WPS security vulnerability issue. For example, pl. see:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/6/2849893/wi-fi-alliance-wps-secu...
So unclear if your image has the fix or not.

Tomato and DD-WRT firmware do not have WPS support so the WPS/Reaver vunerability does not affect/impact routers loaded with Tomato or DD-WRT firmware. Poster jtroye32 indicated they had installed the Tomato firmware to their router. The WPS vunerability may affect the Belkin firmware however, since the Belkin firmware supports WPS. But the Belkin firmware does have the ability to disable WPS.

bennor said:   Hypnosis4u2nv said:   I wonder if it is a power issue with the USB ports.. Is the 30GB a 2.5 drive? Did you try a second flash drive? I wonder if the different drive types are the problem? Fat32 and NTFS..
The second drive not being recognised with DD-WRT happens regardless if two USB flash drives, both FAT32, are used or if one flash drive (FAT32) and one USB external hard drive (NTFS) is used. If I pull one of the two attached drives from USB port 1 on the router, the remaining drive on port 2 is recognized and properly mounted. In all cases with DD-WRT when two drives are attached to both USB ports, only the drive on port 1 is recognised and mounted. With TomatoUSB both drives are recognised, as indicated with the attached two pictures which would seem to indicate that its not a power issue with the USB ports.

Sounds like you don't have the availability of the second USB port for NAS purposes.. Did you try disabling USB Printer Sharing and rebooting the router without the drives attached? If I have it working, I am sure we can get it working for you..

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   
Sounds like you don't have the availability of the second USB port for NAS purposes.. Did you try disabling USB Printer Sharing and rebooting the router without the drives attached? If I have it working, I am sure we can get it working for you..

Yes I disabled USB Printer sharing as two screen captures uploaded yesterday indicated. Will have to try reloading DD-WRT Big, enabling USB support minus the USB printing, then rebooting, without USB devices attached. Its the darnedest thing, TomatoUSB - two drives shown, DD-WRT only one drive, the one connected to USB port 1, shown. Not to mention the USB in use indicator lights don't appear to work properly unless one uses the Belkin firmware.

One thing I did find out though when flashing back and forth between DD-WRT and TomatoUSB, which may have been previously mentioned, is after flashing to TomatoUSB, if the default login "root"/"admin" doesn't work, booting the router to the CFE web page, hitting the clear/reset NVRAM link, then hitting the reboot link, allowed me to log into TomatoUSB with the default "root"/"admin" login info.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014