• filter:
  • 123 24 25262745
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
bennor said:   Hypnosis4u2nv said:   
Sounds like you don't have the availability of the second USB port for NAS purposes.. Did you try disabling USB Printer Sharing and rebooting the router without the drives attached? If I have it working, I am sure we can get it working for you..

Yes I disabled USB Printer sharing as two screen captures uploaded yesterday indicated. Will have to try reloading DD-WRT Big, enabling USB support minus the USB printing, then rebooting, without USB devices attached. Its the darnedest thing, TomatoUSB - two drives shown, DD-WRT only one drive, the one connected to USB port 1, shown. Not to mention the USB in use indicator lights don't appear to work properly unless one uses the Belkin firmware.

One thing I did find out though when flashing back and forth between DD-WRT and TomatoUSB, which may have been previously mentioned, is after flashing to TomatoUSB, if the default login "root"/"admin" doesn't work, booting the router to the CFE web page, hitting the clear/reset NVRAM link, then hitting the reboot link, allowed me to log into TomatoUSB with the default "root"/"admin" login info.

When you said this "If I pull one of the two attached drives from USB port 1 on the router, the remaining drive on port 2 is recognized and properly mounted. In all cases with DD-WRT when two drives are attached to both USB ports, only the drive on port 1 is recognised and mounted." it confirms that the router is not giving you the availability of a second NAS drive so something else is using that second USB port..

Try holding the reset button 10-30 seconds next time you have username/password trouble with Tomato.. It should clear them to default..

rated:
bennor said:   TomatoUSB - two drives shown, DD-WRT only one drive, the one connected to USB port 1, shown. Not to mention the USB in use indicator lights don't appear to work properly unless one uses the Belkin firmware.
Earlier in this huge thread, someone posted the command-line instructions you can run on the router to configure the USB indicator lights.

rated:
Toddler said:   Earlier in this huge thread, someone posted the command-line instructions you can run on the router to configure the USB indicator lights.
That person was me. See this post. And as indicated in that post, the commands only operate one (USB port 1 - right hand port/light) of the two USB port indicator lights. With TomatoUSB at least Port 1 light works when a USB device is plugged into either port. The USB Port 2 light still doesn't light up in TomatoUSB.

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   When you said this "If I pull one of the two attached drives from USB port 1 on the router, the remaining drive on port 2 is recognized and properly mounted. In all cases with DD-WRT when two drives are attached to both USB ports, only the drive on port 1 is recognised and mounted." it confirms that the router is not giving you the availability of a second NAS drive so something else is using that second USB port..
Correct, but ONLY with DD-WRT does this happen. With the TomatoUSB firmware, when there are hard drives/flash drives plugged into both ports, the router will access both hard drives/flash drives. So the problem lies in the DD-WRT firmware and its interaction with my router.

I just tried the following. Removed USB drives from router. Installed the 18946 mini from the CFE page. Then from the mini firmware update page (enabled reset to default), flashed 18946 big. Once 18946 big was loaded, configured basic settings for use with my dsl modem (then hit "save"), configured wireless settings (then hit "save"). Enabled Core USB Support, USB Storage Support, Automatic Drive Mount then hit "save", then hit "apply settings". Power cycled the router. Inserted two USB flash drives (FAT32). Power cycled the router. Then checked the USB Support page for drive mount status. Currently the drive status indicates the following...

--- /dev/discs/disc0/disc
Block device, size 3.726 GiB (4000317440 bytes)
DOS/MBR partition map
Partition 1: 3.726 GiB (4000309248 bytes, 7813104 sectors from 16)
Type 0x0B (Win95 FAT32)
FAT32 file system (hints score 4 of 5)
Volume size 3.724 GiB (3998351360 bytes, 244040 clusters of 16 KiB)

I've done a "dmesg" command and am revewing the output to see if anything there gives a clue as to why only one of the two USB drives gets mounted. Ok this is strange, it appears both drives are initially seen by the USB subsystem but only one is mounted.
scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access SanDisk Cruzer 1.02 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro 4.05 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 7813120 512-byte hardware sectors (4000 MB)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive Cache: write through
sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] 8009728 512-byte hardware sectors (4101 MB)
sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive Cache: write through
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 7813120 512-byte hardware sectors (4000 MB)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive Cache: write through
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0:<5>sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] 8009728 512-byte hardware sectors (4101 MB)
sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive Cache: write through
/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 <--- I think this the reason, will investigate.
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
usb-storage: device scan complete
p1
sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
usb-storage: device scan complete

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   Try holding the reset button 10-30 seconds next time you have username/password trouble with Tomato.. It should clear them to default..
Tried that, didn't work. The few times I've had the TomatoUSB login trouble only clearing/resetting the NVRAM from the CFE page cleared up the issue and let me log in with the default username/password. Strange. <shrugs>

rated:
Try manually mounting that HD:

mount /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

*Quick question: Did you try mapping the second drive regardless of mount status? Can you select /tmp/mnt/disc1?

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   Try manually mounting that HD:

mount /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

*Quick question: Did you try mapping the second drive regardless of mount status? Can you select /tmp/mnt/disc1?

Yes, tried to mount the missing drive and it fails to mount. Tied two other USB drives, same thing. No I cannot select /tmp/mnt/disc1 since it doesn't show up in the path list under the Samba page. Will continue to investigate.

rated:
Did you try swapping the external drives ? That may isolate the issue - dd-wrt or drive. Do realize both drives work ok on tomato, but if swap works, where the once undetected drive now gets detected, then it has to do with how dd-wrt/linux is "detecting" the bad usb port.

Also, (using just 1 drive) take the now-being-detected drive from the working port and move it to the other (that was failing for the 2nd drive) and see if it gets detected. That may give a clue if this image can detect only drive at a time. Can repeat this with the 2nd ext drive, to see if its the port or the drive... and such...

rated:
After much troubleshooting this missing second drive issue with the dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_big firmware on my Belkin F7D7301 router, here is what I've found. Using the TomatoUSB or the Belkin firmware, when drives are attached to both USB ports on the router, the TomatoUSB/Belkin firmware correctly mounts the drives and the drives are accessible via the local network. With DD-WRT this is not the case. It appears the DD-WRT firmware does recognise that a second drive is attached, but does not mount the second drive for some reason. During my testing USB Printing was disabled at all times on the USB Support page.

On my router with DD-WRT 18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_big firmware installed, if a hard drive/flash drive is attached to USB port 1 on the router (right hand port), the hard drive/flash drive attached to port 2 does not get listed in the DD-WRT Services/USB Drive Info section. Only the drive attached to port 1 gets listed. If the drive attached to port 1 is removed and the router rebooted, the drive attached to port 2 will be listed. If the drive previously removed from port 1 is reattached back into port 1, the port 2 attached drive is, once again, no longer listed. It doesn't matter what kind of drive I use in either port. When both ports have drives attached, the port 2 drive does not get mount by the DD-WRT firmware. Drives used and rotated between the two ports during experimentation were; one 3TB Toshiba external hard drive (NTFS), two Sandisk 4GB flash drives (not the same model - FAT32), one Sandisk 128MB flash drive (FAT32).

The workaround (after much experimentation) is to create the missing drive entry in the router for "/mnt", then mount the missing drive in the router, and set the mount point to the "/mnt" folder. Here is what I did.

1) Using telnet (may also work in the router's command section), created a directory called "disc1_part1" in the "/mnt". the "/mnt" resides in the "/tmp" folder. So the command that gets issued is:
mkdir -p /tmp/mnt/disc1_part1

2) Once the folder has been created. Next, mount the missing drive and tie it to the "disc1_part1" folder by issuing the following command:
mount /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/disc1_part1

3) Samba will now list the "disc1_part1" in the Path selection field and when the share is created, computers can access the drive on the network.

There are some problems with this workaround. First, if the router is rebooted the settings input via telnet are lost. The fix, I assume, is to create or edit the start up script for the router to include the code to create the directory and then mount/tie the drive to that directory. I assume one could also code the Samba portion at startup so it points to the missing drive each startup. Second, one may need to run the "ls /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0" command via telnet (or the router command page) to get a listing of the "part" listings present on the drive. If there are multiple partitions, my understanding, is there will be multiple "part" listed via the "ls" command. Third, the information I've posted is specific to my router and drives attached. Use this information at your own risk. Fourth, I have not, yet, tried to use a USB hub with this workaround so a USB printer can be used with the router, when DD-WRT, is loaded in conjunction with the two (or more) drives.

rated:
Something is keeping that second drive from automounting on your particular router setup.. I read on DD-WRT that sometimes clearing NVRAM helps..

rated:
Cleared the NVRAM multiple times before loading DD-WRT and after loading DD-WRT no luck. Don't know if there is a way to blank the entire space that the firmware occupies. Googled for such a procedure but didn't find much (my search foo may be weak).

There is this thread on DD-WRT talking about the USB Automounting option mounting two partitions to the same mount point. It appears to affect the Brainslayer 18777 Big build. I am not using the Brainslayer builds with my router. One workaround is to go the Opware route.

rated:
Wish I could help you troubleshoot on my end but my drives mount fine on the router..

rated:
FatCash never showed up...

rated:
daviddyer said:   FatCash never showed up...

Same here. I will give it another week and then file a support ticket.

rated:
I filed a support ticket and included a copy of the sales receipt and got my 2% almost the same day without waiting.. I would suggest if you haven't received it and you can file a support ticket, do so immediately..

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   Wish I could help you troubleshoot on my end but my drives mount fine on the router..
Thats what makes this slightly frustrating. Two drives work for others, works when I use Tomato or the stock Belkin firmware, but not with DD-WRT on my router. I've even tried going back to earlier DD-WRT firmware to no avail. Two drives under DD-WRT just doesn't work right on my particular router. Wonder if the router got tired of being constantly flashed between firmwares?

All in all though at $22, this wireless N router; with 4 (really 5) switched gigabit ports, two USB ports, and flashable to TomatoUSB or DD-WRT, was major steal of a deal.

rated:
NVM

rated:
what is the difference between mega and big ddwrt
witch one is better and why.

rated:
Well, as this has turned out to be a mega tech thread instead of best deal, I have also come up with a query.

I have verizon fios connection with the router provided by them. Internet access works perfect so I still want to use it for all my computers.
Now, I want to use this belkin router for plugging two printers and 2 magicjack plus into the four ethernet ports. Also, I wish to plug
one hdd drive into its usb port. Which is the best firmware for this ? tomato or ddwrt ? Can I access the printers and hdd drive from all my
computers ? thanks for inputs.

rated:
bennor said:   KPACOTKA said:   Who buy not double band router nowadays? Just to play with 3rd party firmware and have fun? Perhaps it worth it
Men never grow up

Keep in mind that this router also comes with four (five if you count the WAN port) switched Gigabit ports. That alone makes this router worth the $22 I paid for it. The rest, including the two USB ports was just gravy.

The WAN port is 10/100 only, I'm pretty sure.

rated:
mmarcuse said:   bennor said:   KPACOTKA said:   Who buy not double band router nowadays? Just to play with 3rd party firmware and have fun? Perhaps it worth it
Men never grow up

Keep in mind that this router also comes with four (five if you count the WAN port) switched Gigabit ports. That alone makes this router worth the $22 I paid for it. The rest, including the two USB ports was just gravy.

The WAN port is 10/100 only, I'm pretty sure.

Incorrect. Just tested on a Windows 7 laptop and connected to one of the dedicated LAN ports as well as the WAN port (reassigned to LAN), and both connected at 1 Gbps.

rated:
router so good, i had to buy two more after my first purchase last week.

first one replaced my wrt54g-tm with ddwrt-mega at home. looked on eBay to see their value and they're going for over 100 bucks easily.
therefore, bought two more to replace the wrt54g-tm i have at my father's and sister's home.
100x3=300 - 19.99x3 (deal from tmobile store a few years back) - 21.99x3 = net 174.06

rated:
... The WAN port is 10/100 only, I'm pretty sure...

Dunno if this is an assumption or tested to be so. You may see this behavior in possibly 2 cases:
1) if this is wiredup (CAT5/6) to a slow (fast ehternet 10/100) modem upstream.
2) if this is used just as a switch and wiredup (CAT5/6) to a slow (fast ehternet 10/100) router upstream.

More here:
http://forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?t=1987
The modem's port has to be gig to get full benefit here, especially wrt to browsing/streaming content.

I have one of these as a switch and another as a repeater, both sitting behind a DOCSIS 3 modem with a gig port... and so don't see any of the WAN ports at just 10/100... they are both at gig.

rated:
Anyone having diablo 3 disconnect errors?
whats the best setting for the dd wrt or diablo 3...
i've been getting d/c and major lag...

rated:
GilbertsGrape said:   what is the difference between mega and big ddwrt
witch one is better and why.

The major difference between the two is that BIG supports NTFS and leaves out VPN Concentrate and SSH FTP.. Most people would prefer the BIG build because of the native NTFS file system support..

rated:
Jibran said:   Well, as this has turned out to be a mega tech thread instead of best deal, I have also come up with a query.

Still is a best deal..

I have verizon fios connection with the router provided by them. Internet access works perfect so I still want to use it for all my computers.
Now, I want to use this belkin router for plugging two printers and 2 magicjack plus into the four ethernet ports. Also, I wish to plug
one hdd drive into its usb port. Which is the best firmware for this ? tomato or ddwrt ? Can I access the printers and hdd drive from all my
computers ? thanks for inputs.

Download the BIG build of DD-WRT, assign an IP secondary to your network, disable DHCP and wireless, enable USB and Printer Sharing, reboot..

rated:
Just followed the instruction above to upgrade the firmare to tomato, everything goes smoothly until I finished step 12, and try to login to router with 192.168.1.1, wth the login interface. However, I can't log in with admin/admin and I did not set the password to sth. else previously, any ideas? Thanks!

rated:
lovecd said:   Just followed the instruction above to upgrade the firmare to tomato, everything goes smoothly until I finished step 12, and try to login to router with 192.168.1.1, wth the login interface. However, I can't log in with admin/admin and I did not set the password to sth. else previously, any ideas? Thanks!
Tomato default is root/admin.. Try that..

rated:
Tried it and no luck. Funny thing is the login window is still showing dd-wrt, is this correct? Now, what can I do at this point? Can I re-do everything again?
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   lovecd said:   Just followed the instruction above to upgrade the firmare to tomato, everything goes smoothly until I finished step 12, and try to login to router with 192.168.1.1, wth the login interface. However, I can't log in with admin/admin and I did not set the password to sth. else previously, any ideas? Thanks!
Tomato default is root/admin.. Try that..

rated:
Hold the reset button for 30 seconds and try it.. If that doesn't work, do the 30/30/30 and go back to the CFE page and clear the NVRAM..

rated:
Have had this for a few weeks now. I am a router newbie, so I left the stock Belkin firmware on it for the first week. Every morning I'd find the connection had been dropped.

Followed the DD-WRT instructions from the summary posts and have had no problems since. Now learning to tinker with settings a bit.

What a great deal.

rated:
Couldn't even finish the loading of dd-wrt mini step. Got the CFE miniWeb Server screen, Browse to the mini.bin file, click the Upload, but status bar always shows "waiting for response from 192.168.2.1", after 10 min. nothing happens.

Tried many times (after 30/30/30 reset), still the same.

Any idea? Thanks.

Windows 7/IE9

rated:
ShoppingRite said:   Couldn't even finish the loading of dd-wrt mini step. Got the CFE miniWeb Server screen, Browse to the mini.bin file, click the Upload, but status bar always shows "waiting for response from 192.168.2.1", after 10 min. nothing happens.

Any idea? Thanks.

Windows 7/IE9

You could also try loading the MINI build through the Belkin firmware update page.. A few users have had success that way also, although it is not recommended..

rated:
ShoppingRite said:   Couldn't even finish the loading of dd-wrt mini step. Got the CFE miniWeb Server screen, Browse to the mini.bin file, click the Upload, but status bar always shows "waiting for response from 192.168.2.1", after 10 min. nothing happens.

Any idea? Thanks.

Windows 7/IE9

I know that after a failed partial load that my CFE address got bumped to 192.168.1.1
Still not quite sure how that happened, but try the 30-30-30 and use 192.168.1.1 based address. Nothing to loose.

rated:
Hoping someone knows more about DLNA. I have my setup running tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx
I have loaded up the DLNA server with my attached USB drive. If I connect to the server from windows media player 12 I see all the files without any folder structure. WWMP12 does break out pictures, vids, and audio, but when you have 20+ seasons of a TV show it makes finding what I want difficult. On the drive they are are sorted out in folders. I have tried using the root structure as a single share point, and sharing individual folders. The files just get dumped together. Can anyone give me a hint as to why this is? Is there a setting I have missed somewhere?

rated:
Works this time. Appreciate your help! By the way, the current wireless name is called "wireless", where can I change it?
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   Hold the reset button for 30 seconds and try it.. If that doesn't work, do the 30/30/30 and go back to the CFE page and clear the NVRAM..

rated:
wizardking said:   Hoping someone knows more about DLNA. I have my setup running tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx
I have loaded up the DLNA server with my attached USB drive. If I connect to the server from windows media player 12 I see all the files without any folder structure. WWMP12 does break out pictures, vids, and audio, but when you have 20+ seasons of a TV show it makes finding what I want difficult. On the drive they are are sorted out in folders. I have tried using the root structure as a single share point, and sharing individual folders. The files just get dumped together. Can anyone give me a hint as to why this is? Is there a setting I have missed somewhere?

That's how DLNA works. All of the media files are presented in aggregate to your DLNA client without any sorting at all. It's up to the client to present them in some kind of logical order. I absolutely hate it, so I don't use DLNA and instead just use shared folders to access media from my server (WHS 2011).

rated:
lovecd said:   Works this time. Appreciate your help! By the way, the current wireless name is called "wireless", where can I change it?

Go to Basic-->Network-->SSID (Change it and save)

rated:
wizardking said:   Hoping someone knows more about DLNA. I have my setup running tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx

I'll take a stab at it, although I have no use for DLNA since Samba works really well for my needs..

LINK1
LINK2

I've read that FAT32 works on some devices but NTFS or EXT3 doesn't.. I see you posted the issue on the Tomato forums, would be interested if you find a solution..

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   lovecd said:   Works this time. Appreciate your help! By the way, the current wireless name is called "wireless", where can I change it?

Go to Basic-->Network-->SSID (Change it and save)

Make sure you are creative with its name.

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   You could also try loading the MINI build through the Belkin firmware update page.. A few users have had success that way also, although it is not recommended..
As a data point, that's what I did, and it worked perfectly.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014