• filter:
  • 18 9 10111245
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I am wondering whether this router can be used to access citywide wireless network or booster the wireless signal from another router?

rated:
pdxor said:   Just ordered 1. I have 5 WRT-54G routers running dd-wrt FW with different applications. Just wanted to see how this router performs against Linksys.
That's what I replaced, two WRT54G routers running DD-WRT for years without issue. The wireless-N in these Belkins is obviously faster, but the range is just slightly diminished. Given that the Belkins have internal antennas, that is probably to be expected.

rated:
djklmnop said:   OMFG, I just installed Tomato on mine is it is WAY better than DD-WRT. The stability is perfect and there are no connection dropouts. Also, I have a 500gb hooked up for Windows Shared + DLNA. From any computer I'm able to access my music using Media Monkey.

If you guys are having problems with DD-WRT, definitely try Tomato out.

I have never had problems with DD-WRT, but when someone says "OMFG" they must really be serious.

But I am very tempted to order a third one of these just to keep as a backup and maybe see what the heck is up with Tomato.

rated:
I finally resolved something that had been bugging me since I set up this new Belkin running DD-WRT. I just discovered that the issue is a problem in DD-WRT builds 15760 and newer. If you have a domain name which points back to your home network, you won't be able to connect to it from within your home network. This is called "loopback" and older builds had a check-box option to enable it, which worked as one would expect, but it no longer works on newer builds without a manual fix. This fix entails configuring a simple firewall rule on the router.

If that sounds complicated, it's not. Just go to Administration | Commands and enter the following in the Commands window:

insmod ipt_mark
insmod xt_mark
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i ! `get_wanface` -d `nvram get wan_ipaddr` -j MARK --set-mark 0xd001
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 0xd001 -j MASQUERADE

Then hit the "Save Firewall" button. This will add the commands to your firewall script. Assuming you are running DHCP for all of your LAN clients, this is all you need to do.

When you go to do this for the first time, the Startup and Firewall sections of the Commands page will be empty, since no scripts are defined with a brand new router. Once you create a script, it will appear on this page in its relevant section. You can edit an existing script by clicking the "Edit" button, after which the script will appear in the Commands window. You can then make changes and then click the relevant save button again.

After completing all of your changes, you will need to restart the router to apply the modified script.

Full details and discussion of the fix are here.

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   roseusa said:   i tried to mount external hard drive (already data exist on that), and 2 different USB drives

1- hard drive was detected by router but was not able to mount.

--- /dev/discs/disc0/disc
Block device, size 465.8 GiB (500107862016 bytes)
DOS/MBR partition map
Partition 1: 465.8 GiB (500105217024 bytes, 976768002 sectors from 63, bootable)
Type 0x07 (HPFS/NTFS)
Windows NTLDR boot loader
NTFS file system
Volume size 465.8 GiB (500105216000 bytes, 976768000 sectors)
Status: Not mounted - Unsupported file system or disk not formated

2- one USB drive even not detected

3- other USB drive is detected and mounted as following

--- /dev/discs/disc0/disc
Block device, size 7.465 GiB (8015282176 bytes)
DOS/MBR partition map
Partition 1: 7.464 GiB (8014938624 bytes, 15654177 sectors from 63, bootable)
Type 0x0B (Win95 FAT32)
FAT32 file system (hints score 4 of 5)
Volume size 7.450 GiB (7999295488 bytes, 1952953 clusters of 4 KiB)

Now my question how can i browse this drive? i can not see any drive letter assigned to this USB drive?

I am gonna try and help you out with this even though I personally am not running any storage or printers with my USB ports.

#1 DD-WRT out the box does not support NTFS formatted drives. I think you need to enable it by running external commands but I am not sure and you need to follow up on it if no one else can help you with it. That's the reason #1 HD is not mounting. This LINK explains that you should install the NTFS driver for it to be supported so it could be mounted..

#2 USB drive might need to be formatted to FAT32 or EXT2/EXT3..

#3 USB Drive is mounted on your NETWORK.. Your not going to see a drive label under My Computer because it's being shared through the network path /mnt. Look under Windows Network Neighborhood and the path should pop up.. Click on it and it will access the drive.. You can access this drive now from anywhere on your network and from pretty much any device.

thanks for reply and your help. Also green for you.

#1 i tried to find NTFS external command so i can run but i am very confused there are so many different commands (i'm not linux guy) so i dont understand these commands at all.

#2 i did format another usb drive with FAT32 format and its mounted too but no access to drive itself.

#3 yes its mounted (it shows only in router that its mounted) this drive is not exist under network only my other computer i can see in Network. so problem is still there.

rated:
A couple notes that I found doing this:

1) The router comes with a network cable plugged in already. Move the cable from the 'Modem' port to one of the 'Wired' ports. When connecting directly to my laptop, it would not connect in the modem port.
2) Took me a second to find out how to set my static IP in Windows 7, I'm too used to XP... Here are the instructions on how to change it, use the IP addresses as indicated in the Member Summary. http://portforward.com/networking/static-win7.htm
3) The mini->mega upgrade went flawlessly using the instructions in the Member Summary.
4) Thanks to Hypnosis for a great deal, and a great thread full of help and Q&A.

rated:
caksquch said:   I am wondering whether this router can be used to access citywide wireless network or booster the wireless signal from another router?

As long as you have access to it yes, Client Bridge will connect to your wireless network and share it among what you have connected to the 4 ports. Use Repeater Bridge to boost the signal from another router, you need to get the router close enough where it can get a decent signal to re-transmit..

YouTube video showing how to setup both..

rated:
roseusa said:   
thanks for reply and your help. Also green for you.

#1 i tried to find NTFS external command so i can run but i am very confused there are so many different commands (i'm not linux guy) so i dont understand these commands at all.

#2 i did format another usb drive with FAT32 format and its mounted too but no access to drive itself.

#3 yes its mounted (it shows only in router that its mounted) this drive is not exist under network only my other computer i can see in Network. so problem is still there.

For NTFS drives follow the instructions in the DD-WRT thread specifically the instructions for Kernel 2.6 Method 1 (for Eko builds)..

For Fat32 drives, follow the instructions HERE specifically using "Network Option B - Use NAS (FTP)"..

If that seems to much for you, maybe Tomato will work for you instead.. I have no experience yet with Tomato, but it seems to support NTFS drives right out the box.. Maybe someone here running it with USB Storage on either firmware can help give some instructions on how to get it working..

If neither DD-WRT or Tomato work, or they just seem way too complicated, go back to stock and use Belkin's firmware.. I haven't heard anything negative yet about the latest firmware from Belkin..

rated:
I am running the tomato version recommended at top of thread for usb support. It is perfect but I need help getting to my usb drive in windows7. Tomato says: Partition 'KINGSTON' vfat (3,736.98 MB / 3,637.73 MB free) is mounted on /tmp/mnt/KINGSTON but I cannot figure out how to access it from win7. It does not show up under network all I can see is UPnP router under infrastructure. I tried map network drive, but I keep getting the error that Windows cannot access it. Does anyone have experience with this? I enabled the router IP in my comodo firewall but no luck. BTW my HP USB printer attached to this router works perfectly.

rated:
Toddler said:   I finally resolved something that had been bugging me since I set up this new Belkin running DD-WRT. I just discovered that the issue is a problem in DD-WRT builds 15760 and newer. If you have a domain name which points back to your home network, you won't be able to connect to it from within your home network. This is called "loopback" and older builds had a check-box option to enable it, which worked as one would expect, but it no longer works on newer builds without a manual fix. This fix entails configuring a simple firewall rule on the router.

insmod ipt_mark
insmod xt_mark
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i ! `get_wanface` -d `nvram get wan_ipaddr` -j MARK --set-mark 0xd001
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 0xd001 -j MASQUERADE

Thanks! Installed without a hitch!

rated:
teraman said:   I am running the tomato version recommended at top of thread for usb support. It is perfect but I need help getting to my usb drive in windows7. Tomato says: Partition 'KINGSTON' vfat (3,736.98 MB / 3,637.73 MB free) is mounted on /tmp/mnt/KINGSTON but I cannot figure out how to access it from win7. It does not show up under network all I can see is UPnP router under infrastructure. I tried map network drive, but I keep getting the error that Windows cannot access it. Does anyone have experience with this? I enabled the router IP in my comodo firewall but no luck. BTW my HP USB printer attached to this router works perfectly.

You might need to enable "file sharing" under USB and NAS.

rated:
Never lied to them. They asked what color the lights where on the router. I told them no lights where on at all. They asked me to use another outlet I did. They said bad router and they would send me another. That is what they said on the first one.
Haven't called on the second one yet.

cremefilled said:   Bricking a router by installing the wrong nonsupported firmware, twice, and then expecting the manufacturer to cover your mistake by (presumably) lying, twice, is pretty questionable.

rated:
zcm923c0 said:   NARC said:   A couple notes that I found doing this:

1) The router comes with a network cable plugged in already. Move the cable from the 'Modem' port to one of the 'Wired' ports. When connecting directly to my laptop, it would not connect in the modem port.

Good catch. Who would have thought that the port labeled "MODEM" is for the modem while the other ports are for thing that AREN'T modems?

ehh, I didn't look it before starting. Figured I could save someone a minute or two.

rated:
I flashed to tomato from the Op's instructions. The range for the wireless is better but no increase in transfer rates, limited to 54 mbps. Any ideas? I have ATT Uverse and I have wired the router to teh ATT device.

djklmnop said:   Hey guys, I spent all morning playing around with the settings since my Intel Centrino 1030n wifi card wont connect at anything past 72 Mbps. After a ton of work, it turns out it's the Antenna setting under Wireless > Advanced Setting. Here's what I did:

1. CTS Protection Mode: Disabled
2. TX Antenna: Right
3. RX Antenna: Left
4. Preamble: Auto
5. WMM: Enable
6. Bluetooth CoExistance: Enable
7. Frame Burst: Disabled
8. Afterburner: Auto

I now get a connection from 150 to 300 Mbps. Before it floated around 122 to 72 Mpbs.

rated:
SeeFool said:   teraman said:   I am running the tomato version recommended at top of thread for usb support. It is perfect but I need help getting to my usb drive in windows7. Tomato says: Partition 'KINGSTON' vfat (3,736.98 MB / 3,637.73 MB free) is mounted on /tmp/mnt/KINGSTON but I cannot figure out how to access it from win7. It does not show up under network all I can see is UPnP router under infrastructure. I tried map network drive, but I keep getting the error that Windows cannot access it. Does anyone have experience with this? I enabled the router IP in my comodo firewall but no luck. BTW my HP USB printer attached to this router works perfectly.

Yea, this. Same thing happened to me! Not used to hierarchy self expanding.

rated:
how we can check what is the speed of file transfering between 2 computers for confirmation that its gigabyte speed? is any utility avaiable?

rated:
SeeFool said:   teraman said:   I am running the tomato version recommended at top of thread for usb support. It is perfect but I need help getting to my usb drive in windows7. Tomato says: Partition 'KINGSTON' vfat (3,736.98 MB / 3,637.73 MB free) is mounted on /tmp/mnt/KINGSTON but I cannot figure out how to access it from win7. It does not show up under network all I can see is UPnP router under infrastructure. I tried map network drive, but I keep getting the error that Windows cannot access it. Does anyone have experience with this? I enabled the router IP in my comodo firewall but no luck. BTW my HP USB printer attached to this router works perfectly.

Thanks!! That did it.

rated:
roseusa said:   how we can check what is the speed of file transfering between 2 computers for confirmation that its gigabyte speed? is any utility avaiable?

I use Jperf.. You can download it HERE..

Guide on how to use is HERE..

If your going to test you need to have two machines up and running with it, one listening and one sending.. You can then view the results from both machines.. It will test the maximum speed the devices are connected to each other at.. If you have a 1000 Mbit/s NIC from one PC and 100Mbit/s NIC on another while going through a GigE switch/router, your only going to get 100Mbit/s..

rated:
sleakpocket said:   I flashed to tomato from the Op's instructions. The range for the wireless is better but no increase in transfer rates, limited to 54 mbps. Any ideas? I have ATT Uverse and I have wired the router to teh ATT device.

djklmnop said:   Hey guys, I spent all morning playing around with the settings since my Intel Centrino 1030n wifi card wont connect at anything past 72 Mbps. After a ton of work, it turns out it's the Antenna setting under Wireless > Advanced Setting. Here's what I did:

1. CTS Protection Mode: Disabled
2. TX Antenna: Right
3. RX Antenna: Left
4. Preamble: Auto
5. WMM: Enable
6. Bluetooth CoExistance: Enable
7. Frame Burst: Disabled
8. Afterburner: Auto

I now get a connection from 150 to 300 Mbps. Before it floated around 122 to 72 Mpbs.

I have ATT U-verse also with their (hugeass) 2WIRE modem/router combo. I hooked up a LAN connection from the 2WIRE to the Belkin's LAN jack. Make sure DHCP is turned off in Tomato, that way the DHCP is handled through the 2WIRE end.

Make sure you enable QOS, Wireless N requires that to operate at full speed. I will send you a PM shortly with screen shots on mine.

rated:
after more than a week of testing, i am sharing everyone information about the best build for Repeater or Repeater Bridge mode. use build 15396. yes the older build among the 3 so far mentioned (15396, 18774 and 18946). i started noticing problems these last few days while playing around with asterisk. i could not get one of my smart phones to connect to it while the router is in Repeater or Repeater Bridge mode. i probably flashed this thing at least 10 times in able to start clean each test cycle of isolating the cause. as a last attempt i went back to build 15396 and got all the features i wanted. btw, i never had dropout connection problem with any build - it was pretty solid. i do not know if the problem has something to do with using different builds for the mini (15396) and mega (18774 or 18946) - does that even matter? i could not find instruction on how to re-flash it with a different build of mini. if anyone can provide the link i can do that further test to verify if this was the culprit. thanks everyone.

rated:
How long did it take for you guys to get your order?

rated:
hkfeet said:   How long did it take for you guys to get your order?
I ordered mine the 7th, still waiting, even thought they billed me right away.

rated:
domeng said:   after more than a week of testing, i am sharing everyone information about the best build for Repeater or Repeater Bridge mode. use build 15396. yes the older build among the 3 so far mentioned (15396, 18774 and 18946). i started noticing problems these last few days while playing around with asterisk. i could not get one of my smart phones to connect to it while the router is in Repeater or Repeater Bridge mode. i probably flashed this thing at least 10 times in able to start clean each test cycle of isolating the cause. as a last attempt i went back to build 15396 and got all the features i wanted. btw, i never had dropout connection problem with any build - it was pretty solid. i do not know if the problem has something to do with using different builds for the mini (15396) and mega (18774 or 18946) - does that even matter? i could not find instruction on how to re-flash it with a different build of mini. if anyone can provide the link i can do that further test to verify if this was the culprit. thanks everyone.

I am not sure if it would even matter if you flash the latest mini build first before flashing the mega build, I guess it wouldn't hurt if you want to give it a try.. Can you get the CFE Web Browser page doing the 30/30/30 instructions for DD-WRT for flashing of the mini build?

rated:
ggrr8t said:   hkfeet said:   How long did it take for you guys to get your order?
I ordered mine the 7th, still waiting, even thought they billed me right away.

ordered on 4/9/12 and still "awaiting stock"

rated:
hkfeet said:   How long did it take for you guys to get your order?

Ordered mine on the 9th, still no word.

rated:
no i cannot get the CFE Web Browser. i tried several times using all the different ip addresses i used for the router. it is possible i am doing it incorrectly.

"Can you get the CFE Web Browser page doing the 30/30/30 instructions for DD-WRT for flashing of the mini build?"

rated:
Ordered mine on the 10th and the status just changed to "ready to ship".

rated:
domeng said:   no i cannot get the CFE Web Browser. i tried several times using all the different ip addresses i used for the router. it is possible i am doing it incorrectly.

"Can you get the CFE Web Browser page doing the 30/30/30 instructions for DD-WRT for flashing of the mini build?"

1. Did you first set your LAN connection to the following: http://imagebin.org/208377

2. So after you do the 30/30/30 reset, the router's front light should stay off

3. Plug in the Lan cable. LAN to LAN, (not WAN to LAN!)

4. Using IE, go to 192.168.2.1 - This should bring up the CFE menu.

rated:
What is the CFE menu supposed to look like anyway? A screenshot might be useful. Since I updated the firmware via the standard Belkin page, I wouldn't know (and I guess it's not of much value to me at this point), but it might help anyone else trying to do the 30/30/30 trick to access this elusive CFE menu page

rated:
ORdered on the 7th, just got email that it shipped. But I don't have a tracking number yet.

rated:
jplee3 said:   What is the CFE menu supposed to look like anyway? A screenshot might be useful. Since I updated the firmware via the standard Belkin page, I wouldn't know (and I guess it's not of much value to me at this point), but it might help anyone else trying to do the 30/30/30 trick to access this elusive CFE menu page

It's very generic. There's a line for Browse to choose the update file, then a button for Upload. Directly below there's a reset and reset NVRAM something option. That's it.

When you click upload, it should take less than 30 seconds for it to jump to "restarting router".

rated:
jplee3 said:   What is the CFE menu supposed to look like anyway? A screenshot might be useful. Since I updated the firmware via the standard Belkin page, I wouldn't know (and I guess it's not of much value to me at this point), but it might help anyone else trying to do the 30/30/30 trick to access this elusive CFE menu page

rated:
Woot, I got the second router in from Expansys and have it flashed with mega. Seems to be working well.

Questions:
I want to use it as a wireless extender do you think if I put it in a zip lock bag mostly zipped under my carport next to the house it would survive?

Also has anyone messed with the transmit power? What is the max setting I can use for longest range without cooking the unit. I know the default is 71mw

Also it is extending a stock DIR-615 router and I am only getting a Rate 130 Mbps is that normal? I was expecting 300 Mbps

When set up as repeater bridge I do not get any connection on the wired ports.

rated:
sorry posted same thing twice i don't see the delete button.

rated:
i tried this and my connection went from 130 Mbps down to 104 Mbps. using it as a wireless extender connected to DIR-615.

Make sure you enable QOS, Wireless N requires that to operate at full speed. I will send you a PM shortly with screen shots on mine.

rated:
domeng said:   after more than a week of testing.... i probably flashed this thing at least 10 times in able to start clean each test cycle of isolating the cause. as a last attempt i went back to build 15396 and got all the features i wanted. btw, i never had dropout connection problem with any build - it was pretty solid...

Thought I'd share some feedback, I did notice awhile ago when I was testing the builds that in build 15396, more stuff seems to work. I too ended up using this build instead of the latest one. Very happy with the performance so far.

rated:
GilbertsGrape said:   ...When set up as repeater bridge I do not get any connection on the wired ports.

I am using mega build 15396 as a repeater bridge and I can connect both wirelessly and through wired ports. My main router is a D-Link DIR-655. I followed the directions precisely from dd-wrt's site at this link, directions start at where it says "Broadcom". My guess is that if you miss a step or two, that will fudge things up.

rated:
techhappy said:   domeng said:   after more than a week of testing.... i probably flashed this thing at least 10 times in able to start clean each test cycle of isolating the cause. as a last attempt i went back to build 15396 and got all the features i wanted. btw, i never had dropout connection problem with any build - it was pretty solid...

Thought I'd share some feedback, I did notice awhile ago when I was testing the builds that in build 15396, more stuff seems to work. I too ended up using this build instead of the latest one. Very happy with the performance so far.

Curious if you used the latest mini build when you loaded up the mega build or did you start with 15396 mini and never changed it?

rated:
GilbertsGrape said:   Woot, I got the second router in from Expansys and have it flashed with mega. Seems to be working well.

Questions:
I want to use it as a wireless extender do you think if I put it in a zip lock bag mostly zipped under my carport next to the house it would survive?

This is not made to be used outdoors and no matter what you want to wrap it in I would advise against it.. You already went through 2 routers, don't risk anymore..

Also has anyone messed with the transmit power? What is the max setting I can use for longest range without cooking the unit. I know the default is 71mw

This varies from device to device and with different opinions on whether it actually harms the router or not.. The general consensus is that increasing the transmit power also increases the noise level and that doesn't guarantee better speeds.. If you want to do some reading on it, Go HERE and HERE..

Also it is extending a stock DIR-615 router and I am only getting a Rate 130 Mbps is that normal? I was expecting 300 Mbps

When set up as repeater bridge I do not get any connection on the wired ports.

In the best case scenario, if your two feet away from the router your likely going to see a high connection rate.. But the connection rate doesn't mean that it's the actual speed of the connection.. I would suggest you run Jperf and test for yourself.. I get a connection rate of 150mps but my actual throughput tested with Jperf give me something like 40~Mbps.. Go HERE for further information..

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   

This varies from device to device and with different opinions on whether it actually harms the router or not.. The general consensus is that increasing the transmit power also increases the noise level and that doesn't guarantee better speeds.. If you want to do some reading on it, Go HERE and HERE..

good info

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014