• filter:
  • 19 10 11121345
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
thanks. i didn't use any instruction i just started clicking. looks like i missed the following items i will set them this evening. thanks again.

Local DNS: 192.168.1.1 (if IP of Primary Router is 192.168.1.1)
Assign WAN Port to Switch : Optionally enable this to use the WAN port as another LAN port.
Save

Log back into the router at it's new IP address of http://192.168.1.2

Open Setup -> Advanced Routing tab
Set Operating mode to "Router"
Save

Open Services

Disable Dnsmasq
Save

Open the Security -> Firewall tab

Uncheck all boxes...except Filter Multicast
Disable SPI firewall
APPLY Settings

Reboot the router.
Once you have it working, go to the wireless security tab, and set the same type of security AND key for both the primary and the repeater ssids and hit apply. Avoid WPA2 Personal MIXED, as it will likely kill communication between the routers (see Security section below for more on this). WPA2 Personal is fine.

techhappy said:   GilbertsGrape said:   ...When set up as repeater bridge I do not get any connection on the wired ports.

I am using mega build 15396 as a repeater bridge and I can connect both wirelessly and through wired ports. My main router is a D-Link DIR-655. I followed the directions precisely from dd-wrt's site at this link, directions start at where it says "Broadcom". My guess is that if you miss a step or two, that will fudge things up.

rated:
How or what are you guys using to verify the router speeds?

rated:
GilbertsGrape said:   I want to use it as a wireless extender do you think if I put it in a zip lock bag mostly zipped under my carport next to the house it would survive?

You might get a few months out of it, but I highly doubt it would last very long. The two biggest problems with electronics are heat and moisture. You would probably be fine in the spring and fall, but summer and winter would be rough. Carport roofs receive and put out tremendous amounts of heat - especially if they are in the sun - it would cook the router pretty quick I would think. Also, if it is in a plastic bag, it won't have any way to vent the heat (think of it as a mini computer that needs air circulation). The other problem would be winter - the router would be staying semi-warm from the processor and if you get any freezing weather, you would likely get condensation in the bag/router. Condensation = dead router. It might be possible for a while, but think of it as a $20 experiment if you want to find out how long it will go.

rated:
Mine shipped. Ordered on 9th shipped today.

rated:
I ordered on the 11th and just got the shipped e-mail as well. Tracking # link doesn't work yet though...

rated:
Pitter said:   GilbertsGrape said:   I want to use it as a wireless extender do you think if I put it in a zip lock bag mostly zipped under my carport next to the house it would survive?

You might get a few months out of it, but I highly doubt it would last very long. The two biggest problems with electronics are heat and moisture. You would probably be fine in the spring and fall, but summer and winter would be rough. Carport roofs receive and put out tremendous amounts of heat - especially if they are in the sun - it would cook the router pretty quick I would think. Also, if it is in a plastic bag, it won't have any way to vent the heat (think of it as a mini computer that needs air circulation). The other problem would be winter - the router would be staying semi-warm from the processor and if you get any freezing weather, you would likely get condensation in the bag/router. Condensation = dead router. It might be possible for a while, but think of it as a $20 experiment if you want to find out how long it will go.

you can get weatherproof wireless router enclosures but it'll cost 3-4x more than the router, or you can always DIY - get a large plastic case, mount with screws to carport, seal the mounts with outside caulk, and drill ventilation holes in the box...you can also just run a small fan for airflow (like a pc case fan), just be careful to ensure that moisture can't get in...you may have to do antenna mods though for range and reception in/out of the carport...

honestly for the effort to try and get this to work, you'll get better results just getting a outdoor wireless access point for $100 and running cat5 to it...but obviously 5x more expensive

rated:
Ordered one this morning from Expansys, too good a deal to pass up even if only for the 4 port Gigabit switched ports. Yesterday the Expansys website indicated "Stock Usually Ships In 2 Days". This morning the site claims to have "100+ In Stock Now". The order confirmation email, received shortly after ordering this morning, has an order status URL link that currently shows; "Main Status: Ready to ship", "Explanation: This order has completed processing and is waiting to be packed and shipped". The website indicated free "FedEx Ground Home Delivery (3 - 5 Days)" shipping during check out.

rated:
Has anyone successfully set up a guest network with this router? I am using build 18946 and can create the guest network with Internet access. The problem begins when I try to isolate it to a different subnet so the guest network cannot see my primary LAN. I've tried numerous tutorials with no success.

rated:
tangoalpha said:   Has anyone successfully set up a guest network with this router? I am using build 18946 and can create the guest network with Internet access. The problem begins when I try to isolate it to a different subnet so the guest network cannot see my primary LAN. I've tried numerous tutorials with no success.

I've not toyed around with this enough. I was actually trying to look into creating a "guest login" webpage (like on most newer routers) but haven't had time. I would think iptables will come into play with isolating subnets for vlans, etc... not sure though.

rated:
I bought one of these to give to a family. I put DD-WRT without problems. The router would not connect to their broadband (DSL), and then I took it home to play with it. It won't connect to my cable modem either. I had four different devices hooked up to it: a print server (old HP JetDirect), a Nettop, a Roku, and a DVD player. Only the Nettop (which has gigabit too) shows up on the list of DHCP leases. All others (which are 10/100) cannot be accessed through the wired ports. Very weird.

Also, are there any lights on the ports themselves (in the back). I don't see any lit or blinking lights -- first router/switch I've seen without indicators.

rated:
Ordered yesterday, got shipping email today. Maybe ordering right before/during Easter weekend slowed some orders down?

rated:
My order from this morning has apparently shipped. The tracking info isn't in the FedEx tracking system yet.

rated:
ArgoNavis said:   I bought one of these to give to a family. I put DD-WRT without problems. The router would not connect to their broadband (DSL), and then I took it home to play with it. It won't connect to my cable modem either. I had four different devices hooked up to it: a print server (old HP JetDirect), a Nettop, a Roku, and a DVD player. Only the Nettop (which has gigabit too) shows up on the list of DHCP leases. All others (which are 10/100) cannot be accessed through the wired ports. Very weird.

Also, are there any lights on the ports themselves (in the back). I don't see any lit or blinking lights -- first router/switch I've seen without indicators.

Reset to factory defaults and reboot.. Try again.. If you still have problems then it could be a bad router.. There are no light indicators for the ports..

rated:
jplee3 said:   tangoalpha said:   Has anyone successfully set up a guest network with this router? I am using build 18946 and can create the guest network with Internet access. The problem begins when I try to isolate it to a different subnet so the guest network cannot see my primary LAN. I've tried numerous tutorials with no success.

I've not toyed around with this enough. I was actually trying to look into creating a "guest login" webpage (like on most newer routers) but haven't had time. I would think iptables will come into play with isolating subnets for vlans, etc... not sure though.

All of the tutorials that I've tried, even the interactive one I tried, use iptables, just like you mention, however, no luck. Makes me wonder if it is hardware related, which is why I posted here, since we are all taking about this specific router.

Thanks for the input.

rated:
tangoalpha said:   jplee3 said:   tangoalpha said:   Has anyone successfully set up a guest network with this router? I am using build 18946 and can create the guest network with Internet access. The problem begins when I try to isolate it to a different subnet so the guest network cannot see my primary LAN. I've tried numerous tutorials with no success.

All of the tutorials that I've tried, even the interactive one I tried, use iptables, just like you mention, however, no luck. Makes me wonder if it is hardware related, which is why I posted here, since we are all taking about this specific router.

Thanks for the input.

What do you see when you run "iptables-save"?

rated:
jplee3 said:   tangoalpha said:   jplee3 said:   tangoalpha said:   Has anyone successfully set up a guest network with this router? I am using build 18946 and can create the guest network with Internet access. The problem begins when I try to isolate it to a different subnet so the guest network cannot see my primary LAN. I've tried numerous tutorials with no success.

Thanks for the input.

Can you tell I'm a noob? Where do I run "iptables-save"...in the GUI or telnet?

rated:
tangoalpha said:   jplee3 said:   tangoalpha said:   jplee3 said:   tangoalpha said:   Has anyone successfully set up a guest network with this router? I am using build 18946 and can create the guest network with Internet access. The problem begins when I try to isolate it to a different subnet so the guest network cannot see my primary LAN. I've tried numerous tutorials with no success.

Thanks for the input.

Can you tell I'm a noob? Where do I run "iptables-save"...in the GUI or telnet?

You'll have to do it via ssh - I don't think you can with telnet.

You need to enable ssh via the GUI (I forget where exactly, but maybe where "Administration" is?) along with JFFS.

Login should be username `root` and whatever password you set for logging into the gui.

rated:
I had just purchased this MediaLink router for $49.99 > Text from a-mazon before seeing this post, I could really use some opinions on if I should return it and grab this Belkin N300 instead? Mainly using it for PS3 & tablets, laptops, etc. with our cable internet connection. Advice much appreciated, as this is not my forte.

rated:
ElephantNest said:   I had just purchased this MediaLink router for $49.99 > Text from a-mazon before seeing this post, I could really use some opinions on if I should return it and grab this Belkin N300 instead? Mainly using it for PS3 & tablets, laptops, etc. with our cable internet connection. Advice much appreciated, as this is not my forte.

The Belkin seems to be a pretty good buy and even the latest stock Belkin firmware version doesn't seem to get many complaints. The 'crown jewel' is the fact that you can install more robust custom firmware (DDWRT or Tomato) to expand the capabilities of the router. The caveat to this is that you need to be a bit adventurous and willing to make mistakes and learn, but there are plenty of tips here that should help guide you in the right direction should you take on the task of updating the firmware to custom firmware

Now, if you're planning to do a lot of streaming, I thought I read that there might be mixed opinions of doing that on this Belkin router. However, the gigabit switch is definitely a big plus. Others may have more input on this topic.

rated:
ElephantNest said:   I had just purchased this MediaLink router for $49.99 > Text from a-mazon before seeing this post, I could really use some opinions on if I should return it and grab this Belkin N300 instead? Mainly using it for PS3 & tablets, laptops, etc. with our cable internet connection. Advice much appreciated, as this is not my forte.

if routers aren't your forte, then dd-wrt (install and use) probably won't be either
that router has an amazingly high amount of great reviews

rated:
Looks like this is a PAID marketing thread. this deal has been in 1st page since last 10 days and usually, no deal stays in 1st page for that long. Beware of it. It may be paid deal.

rated:
jplee3 said:   
You need to enable ssh via the GUI (I forget where exactly, but maybe where "Administration" is?) along with JFFS.
Login should be username `root` and whatever password you set for logging into the gui.

In my other dd-wrt router (this one hasn't arrived yet) it's under Administration --> Management --> Remote Access section

rated:

Sorry, can you tell I'm too new to figure this out??? I couldn't establish an SSH connection. I tried the command ssh root@192.168.1.200 (1.200 is what I'm using for my lan address).

This is the interactive tutorial I tried. Anything look out of place for this particular router? This tutorial is from 2009!

http://www.pennock.nl/dd-wrt/Multiple_BSSIDs.html

rated:
tangoalpha said:   

Sorry, can you tell I'm too new to figure this out??? I couldn't establish an SSH connection. I tried the command ssh root@192.168.1.200 (1.200 is what I'm using for my lan address).

This is the interactive tutorial I tried. Anything look out of place for this particular router? This tutorial is from 2009!

http://www.pennock.nl/dd-wrt/Multiple_BSSIDs.html

Is 192.168.1.200 the IP you assigned the router or something? If not, you should only need to ssh to 192.168.1.1

How are you sshing to it btw? If you're running Windows, just go download Putty (google it). Also, did you make sure SSH and JFFS are enabled in the GUI settings? I think Barmullio got the right location for where these are at

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   
Curious if you used the latest mini build when you loaded up the mega build or did you start with 15396 mini and never changed it?

I started with the 15396 mini build, then I upgraded to 15396 Mega and tinkered with it, then I tried the 18946 mega and noticed a few things weren't working properly, so I backtracked and loaded the 15396 build.

rated:
kodireddy said:   Looks like this is a PAID marketing thread. this deal has been in 1st page since last 10 days and usually, no deal stays in 1st page for that long. Beware of it. It may be paid deal.

Over 130 Green ratings in 10 days and your wondering why it's still on the first page? Because the deal isn't dead!

rated:
techhappy said:   Hypnosis4u2nv said:   
Curious if you used the latest mini build when you loaded up the mega build or did you start with 15396 mini and never changed it?

I started with the 15396 mini build, then I upgraded to 15396 Mega and tinkered with it, then I tried the 18946 mega and noticed a few things weren't working properly, so I backtracked and loaded the 15396 build.

What things weren't working properly for you btw?

rated:
I have not tried creating a Guest Wireless and having it isolated on its own subnet. Isn't this what "AP Isolation" button in the virtual SSID configuration is for? Thanks.

rated:
I get really strong wireless now throughout my house with this Belkin set as a wireless repeater, initially I only had about half coverage. I actually ordered two units, but didn't touch the second unit until I had a chance to see how well the first unit works. Now I'm twiddling my thumbs on what I should do with the second unit....

rated:
domeng said:   I have not tried creating a Guest Wireless and having it isolated on its own subnet. Isn't this what "AP Isolation" button in the virtual SSID configuration is for? Thanks.

Apparently, it's used to prevent machines from communicating with each other:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_security

"Some access points can also support "AP isolation" which isolates all wireless clients and wireless devices on the network from each other. Wireless devices will be able to communicate with the gateway but not with each other in the network."

This would be useful if you only want people connecting to your network to be limited to browsing the web but not being able to profile the network to see what other clients may exist. So to answer your question, yes I believe it probably would be sufficient for a more restricted "Guest" network for the most part. Although, I'm not sure if you could still try to access the router itself or other clients that may be connected to the router directly (wired). I would assume not, but there's only one way to find out I guess.

rated:

Is 192.168.1.200 the IP you assigned the router or something? If not, you should only need to ssh to 192.168.1.1

How are you sshing to it btw? If you're running Windows, just go download Putty (google it). Also, did you make sure SSH and JFFS are enabled in the GUI settings? I think Barmullio got the right location for where these are at

When I ssh to router, and type in iptables-save the response is: -sh: iptables-save: not found

rated:
kodireddy said:   Looks like this is a PAID marketing thread. this deal has been in 1st page since last 10 days and usually, no deal stays in 1st page for that long. Beware of it. It may be paid deal.
If you actually take the time to read the previous thread about this router and this one, along with the links to other websites contained within both threads, you'll see that it is mostly discussing how to run DD-WRT/Tomato on a $22 wireless N router with 4 gigabit ports and 2 USB ports. The reason why this is getting so much attention is because this router generally gets really bad reviews elsewhere when used with the default Belkin firmware. With DD-WRT and Tomato/TomatoUSB people seem to have turned this previously poor router into a decent (perhaps very good) wireless N router that is much cheaper than other comparable routers since it also has the four gigabit and two USB ports.

FedEx indicates the router ordered earlier today is on its way.
"Apr 17, 2012 4:52 PM Picked up MORTON, IL"

rated:

So you didn't go from 18946 mini to 18946 mega? I would be curious to know if that would have made a difference in what didn't work properly for you..

rated:
tangoalpha said:   

When I ssh to router, and type in iptables-save the response is: -sh: iptables-save: not found

FWIW, I FINALLY got it to work.

I performed a 30/30/30 to reset.

Then installed 15396 mini then 15396 mega.

Then ran through the WAP instructions here.

Then followed the Multiple BSSIDs here, except used the firewall iptables found on page three here instead of the ones on the interactive tutorial.

If anyone is interested in a step by step, I'm sure I could find the time to post it.

Thanks to all, especially OP for this great find!

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   

So you didn't go from 18946 mini to 18946 mega? I would be curious to know if that would have made a difference in what didn't work properly for you..

I would be curious too if that would make a difference. I'm guessing that the theory is that a matching upgrade from mini to mega would somehow activate all the features properly? I'm relatively content with the 15396 mega build, so I think I will just stick with it for now. But I'd be curious if someone else could test this out.

rated:

I would be curious too if that would make a difference. I'm guessing that the theory is that a matching upgrade from mini to mega would somehow activate all the features properly? I'm relatively content with the 15396 mega build, so I think I will just stick with it for now. But I'd be curious if someone else could test this out.

I would try, but I didn't notice any difference between 15396 vs. 18946.. I'm waiting on the second router to come in so I can play with Tomato and compare them side by side..

rated:
tangoalpha said:   tangoalpha said:   

Then followed the Multiple BSSIDs here, except used the firewall iptables found on page three here instead of the ones on the interactive tutorial.

If anyone is interested in a step by step, I'm sure I could find the time to post it.

Awesome! BTW: there are multiple suggestions for the iptables settings on p.3 of the link you provided. Which one did you end up using? Feel free to post it up!

rated:
jplee3 said:   tangoalpha said:   tangoalpha said:   

Awesome! BTW: there are multiple suggestions for the iptables settings on p.3 of the link you provided. Which one did you end up using? Feel free to post it up!

The iptable commands I used from page three of that link instead of the interactive tutorial commands were:

iptables -I FORWARD -i br1 -d `nvram get wan_ipaddr`/`nvram get wan_netmask` -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i br1 -d `nvram get lan_ipaddr`/`nvram get lan_netmask` -m state --state NEW -j DROP
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o br0 -j SNAT --to `nvram get lan_ipaddr`
iptables -I INPUT -i br1 -m state --state NEW -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -i br1 -p udp --dport 67 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -i br1 -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -i br1 -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

I'm running through a wipe with clean install to verify all of my necessary settings.

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   I'm waiting on the second router to come in so I can play with Tomato and compare them side by side..

Just the Quality of Service (QOS) is worth it.

IP Tracking
Web Search and Site Log
OpenVPN
PPTP
USB Support with Samba
Multiple SSID
VLAN
etc

Toastman's Tomato firmware version is kick-ass.

rated:
on the wireless status page i have noticed in bridge mode the rate changes a lot from 130Mbps to 13Mbps. the two routers are about 15 feet apart while testing. Anyone else seeing this on theirs?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014