• 110 11 12131445
  • Page
  • Text Only
and using my laptop to connect i can only get 72Mbps (3 feet away) and on my old dlink dir-615 i get 150mbps @ 25 feet away. i am using wpa2 personal AES

kodireddy said:   Looks like this is a PAID marketing thread. this deal has been in 1st page since last 10 days and usually, no deal stays in 1st page for that long. Beware of it. It may be paid deal.Oh no!!! [/sarcasm]

Anyway.. BUMP

kodireddy said:   Looks like this is a PAID marketing thread. this deal has been in 1st page since last 10 days and usually, no deal stays in 1st page for that long. Beware of it. It may be paid deal.
Sorry, but that is idiotic. The excitement started in another thread three weeks ago and spilled over into this one. It is simply a hot deal.

I got the mega flashed successfully. However, I cant connect to the internet.

Is there a setting that needs enabled in the menu ? (DHCP or something?) Screen shot would be great ! thanks

gocint said:   I got the mega flashed successfully. However, I cant connect to the internet.

Is there a setting that needs enabled in the menu ? (DHCP or something?) Screen shot would be great ! thanks

Reboot computer and router.

techhappy said:   I get really strong wireless now throughout my house with this Belkin set as a wireless repeater, initially I only had about half coverage. I actually ordered two units, but didn't touch the second unit until I had a chance to see how well the first unit works. Now I'm twiddling my thumbs on what I should do with the second unit....

I have my second one set up as a client bridge next to my printer where I use one of the USB port for the printer and one for an external HD

techhappy said:   I get really strong wireless now throughout my house with this Belkin set as a wireless repeater, initially I only had about half coverage. I actually ordered two units, but didn't touch the second unit until I had a chance to see how well the first unit works. Now I'm twiddling my thumbs on what I should do with the second unit....

I have my second one set up as a client bridge next to my printer where I use one of the USB port for the printer and one for an external HD

GilbertsGrape said:   on the wireless status page i have noticed in bridge mode the rate changes a lot from 130Mbps to 13Mbps. the two routers are about 15 feet apart while testing. Anyone else seeing this on theirs?

I'm noticing performance jumps as well on that page. I'm getting 11 Mbps - 108 Mbps. So it seems that the quality of connection to the main router is not that great. I can connect wirelessly to the belkin at a rate of 150 Mbps, but what good is that going to do when the connection to the main router is inconsistent and kind of random...that is what this wireless status "rate" is referring to right, the speed to the main router?

I wonder if Tomato performs better in this area? Feeling a slight buzzkill now. Though I still think its useful in my situation, I have a computer on the far end of the house that can at least get a good enough connection to surf now.

Is anyone else getting these kinds of wireless status "rate" speeds?

Does anyone have a really simple tutorial on how to actually get dd-wrt to recognize a NTFS formatted external USB drive?

I'm using the DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/07/10) mega - build 15396M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko that was recommended in the early part of the thread. All the dd-wrt instructions are recommending I reformat the drive to ext3 file format. I've tried reading through the Optware the right way thread but I'm failing it seems.

techhappy said:   GilbertsGrape said:   on the wireless status page i have noticed in bridge mode the rate changes a lot from 130Mbps to 13Mbps. the two routers are about 15 feet apart while testing. Anyone else seeing this on theirs?

I'm noticing performance jumps as well on that page. I'm getting 11 Mbps - 108 Mbps. So it seems that the quality of connection to the main router is not that great. I can connect wirelessly to the belkin at a rate of 150 Mbps, but what good is that going to do when the connection to the main router is inconsistent and kind of random...that is what this wireless status "rate" is referring to right, the speed to the main router?

I wonder if Tomato performs better in this area? Feeling a slight buzzkill now. Though I still think its useful in my situation, I have a computer on the far end of the house that can at least get a good enough connection to surf now.

Is anyone else getting these kinds of wireless status "rate" speeds?

Test with jperf, the connection speeds shown are not real world unless you perform transfer speed tests..

Lurker1999 said:   Does anyone have a really simple tutorial on how to actually get dd-wrt to recognize a NTFS formatted external USB drive?

I'm using the DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/07/10) mega - build 15396M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko that was recommended in the early part of the thread. All the dd-wrt instructions are recommending I reformat the drive to ext3 file format. I've tried reading through the Optware the right way thread but I'm failing it seems.

Haven't had the time to play with NTFS, but I can give you instructions to run NAS while using a FAT32 or EXT2/3 formatted drive.. Send me a PM..

GilbertsGrape said:   gocint said:   I got the mega flashed successfully. However, I cant connect to the internet.

Reboot computer and router.

Reboot the modem ... It may still be married (or at least prefer) your prior router ...

albrandwood said:   [Reboot the modem ... It may still be married (or at least prefer) your prior router ...

thanks will try this when i get back home later today. Edit : I know i rebooted the computer and ofcourse the N300 but didnt touch the modem.

Under the ddrwt instructions it says for 3301 model. Mine is the 7301 (share max n300) purchased from this very deal. Was the 3301 a typo? can I use the ddwrt instructions here? Thanks UPDATE---So I was able to get the firmware to upgrade, both steps seemed to work and I get into the DDWRT interface. However, no matter what I do, there is no internet connection (wired or wireless). My wireless devices see the router and connect but get no internet. When i unplugged and used the old router, internet is fine. Also the belkin got internet before I flashed. The router seems to be working ok, but no internet reception? Any clue how to diagnose this? Thanks.

gocint said:   albrandwood said:   [Reboot the modem ... It may still be married (or at least prefer) your prior router ...

thanks will try this when i get back home later today. Edit : I know i rebooted the computer and ofcourse the N300 but didnt touch the modem.

Rebooted everything twice...modem, router, computer but still wont work with the N300. I put the old router back and it works fine. I can clearly log into DD-WRT menu. What am I missing ?

Edit : I got a DSL modem if that matters.

gocint said:   gocint said:   albrandwood said:   [Reboot the modem ... It may still be married (or at least prefer) your prior router ...

Rebooted everything twice...modem, router, computer but still wont work with the N300. I put the old router back and it works fine. I can clearly log into DD-WRT menu. What am I missing ?

Is the router getting a wan IP from the modem? If so, what is it? Have you tried cloning the MAC address as well?

The router in this deal, Belkin model F7D7301, is supposedly just a re-branded F7D3301. If you look at the Belkin site both routers have the same specs and the user manuals for both are the same (except for the first page and model number). One person in the Amazon review section for this router: http://www.amazon.com/Share-Max-N300-Wireless-Rout/dp/B004B1Z6EE claims if you peal off the F7D7301 sticker you see the F7D3301 sticker.

For those who are having trouble accessing the Internet after updating the firmware to DD-WRT, if your using cable broadband you may need to clone the computer's MAC address to the router. Access the router's administration screen (in this case DD-WRT) then select the MAC Cloning tab and enable the option and hit "Get current PC MAC", then save/apply the update.

From the DD-WRT Wiki...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/MAC_Address_Clone
To enable MAC Cloning, simply click the option under the tab itself. You will have the option of either "Get current PC MAC" or you can input one yourself. Get current PC MAC is primarily used when establishing a service with an ISP that requires it, such as Comcast. The other option of manually entering a MAC address can be used for many things such as linking two routers together, or "spoofing" to force your ISP to give you a new IP address.

Sometimes when using cable broadband you may need to power the cable modem and router down for 5 to 10 minutes then power the modem on, wait several minutes for the modem to sync up, the power on the router and wait several minutes, then try to go online with a computer.

You can also check the WAN status page to see if the router is pulling the correct information from your modem. An example of this screen can be found at this link:http://www.simplehelp.net/images/ddwrt/ddbw00.png. If the IP Address field is all zeros, or if the DNS 1 and possibly 2 are all zero's then you may (probably will) have trouble accessing the Internet.

On a side note. The router I ordered yesterday that included free shipping, is estimated to arrive tomorrow.

Edit to add: If using AT&T DSL sometimes the DSL modem hands out the IP address of 192.168.1.1 to the WAN port of the router. If the routers local IP address (for the router's DHCP server/local network) is set to 192.168.1.1, you will be unable to access the Internet due to the IP conflict between the WAN and Local IP addresses. Changing the router's Local IP Address to 192.168.2.1 usually will solve the IP conflict. When you make the local IP change, make sure to power cycle every device, or release and renew the IP address, so it pulls an updated IP address.

bennor said:   The router in this deal, Belkin model F7D7301, is supposedly just a re-branded F7D3301. If you look at the Belkin site both routers have the same specs and the user manuals for both are the same (except for the first page and model number). One person in the Amazon review section for this router: http://www.amazon.com/Share-Max-N300-Wireless-Rout/dp/B004B1Z6EE claims if you peal off the F7D7301 sticker you see the F7D3301 sticker..

I also peeled back the sticker and made the same discovery

jplee3 said:   gocint said:   gocint said:   albrandwood said:   [Reboot the modem ... It may still be married (or at least prefer) your prior router ...

Is the router getting a wan IP from the modem? If so, what is it? Have you tried cloning the MAC address as well?

WAN IP : 192.168.1.65
LAN IP : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server : Enabled

Not sure how to do the MAC address clone.

I cant attach the screen print for some reason.

gocint said:   WAN IP : 192.168.1.65
LAN IP : 192.168.1.1

Change the LAN IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1.

Edit to add: The MAC Address clone is usually only needed by those who have cable broadband service.

Ok an update to my issue. Here's what I did and it now works. I turned off the belkin software that I installed initially (router was working at that point though). Then i reset the router AND the modem and rebooted. All good in the hood now.

bennor said:    If using AT&T DSL sometimes the DSL modem hands out the IP address of 192.168.1.1 to the WAN port of the router. If the routers local IP address (for the router's DHCP server/local network) is set to 192.168.1.1, you will be unable to access the Internet due to the IP conflict between the WAN and Local IP addresses. Changing the router's Local IP Address to 192.168.2.1 usually will solve the IP conflict. When you make the local IP change, make sure to power cycle every device, or release and renew the IP address, so it pulls an updated IP address.

I am using AT&T DSL - wondering if that is my problem. My WAN IP is 192.168.1.65 (see above post) and my LAN is 192.168.1.1. My local IP (Router IP) is showing 192.168.1.1. So my LAN and Local are the same. You think that is the issue here ? If so, i change the local to 192.168.2.1. Man, if this works, you are a genius.

I have ATT DSL and I like to used my modem is Bridge mode and let the router pass the PPOE information to ATT.

Option1:
try to go to http://74.125.228.110/
that should take you to google, if it does your pc is not getting the DNS info it needsd.

Hook your PC directly to your modem make sure you can get internet
Go to the command prompt type "ipconfig /all" hit enter

This will show you what your DNS servers are. Set your Belkin to match those DNS settings.

Option 2:
my bell south / att provider changed a while back so you get some funky password assigned to your modem for the login. if you have had service for a long time you may need to set this up.

Reset the modem. (hold the reset button for 30 seconds)
connect the modem directly to your PC
open internet explorer it should make you put in your login info for your DSL and set up a new funky password

after you get this new funky password write down your log in info.
Reset the modem. (hold the reset button for 30 seconds)(your modem is in bridge mode now)
connect the router to the modem and your pc to the router
in the ddwrt set the ppoe settings to your ATT login and password.

gocint said:   bennor said:    If using AT&T DSL sometimes the DSL modem hands out the IP address of 192.168.1.1 to the WAN port of the router. If the routers local IP address (for the router's DHCP server/local network) is set to 192.168.1.1, you will be unable to access the Internet due to the IP conflict between the WAN and Local IP addresses. Changing the router's Local IP Address to 192.168.2.1 usually will solve the IP conflict. When you make the local IP change, make sure to power cycle every device, or release and renew the IP address, so it pulls an updated IP address.

I am using AT&T DSL - wondering if that is my problem. My WAN IP is 192.168.1.65 (see above post) and my LAN is 192.168.1.1. My local IP (Router IP) is showing 192.168.1.1. So my LAN and Local are the same. You think that is the issue here ? If so, i change the local to 192.168.2.1. Man, if this works, you are a genius.

Anyone have a good suggestion for a 1TB or 2TB drive to connect to the USB port on this router?

BostonOne said:   Anyone have a good suggestion for a 1TB or 2TB drive to connect to the USB port on this router?

There's this deal - http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1185193/

gocint said:   I got the mega flashed successfully. However, I cant connect to the internet.

Here is a tutorial on the DD-WRT Wiki for setting up with DSL modem.. Just set it up for PPPoE..

Or..

Set PPP on your modem and leave the router with DHCP.. Video

Or..

Follow Gilbert Grapes instructions..

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   I'm waiting on the second router to come in so I can play with Tomato and compare them side by side..

Just finished buying another one. My backup router has a backup (Grand total of 3... why did I buy a backup for my backup) I have a feeling I will fine some use for them.

(sarcasm) Curse You Hypnosis4u2nv Curse You I Say (sarcasm)

Sabre103 said:   Hypnosis4u2nv said:   I'm waiting on the second router to come in so I can play with Tomato and compare them side by side..

Just finished buying another one. My backup router has a backup (Grand total of 3... why did I buy a backup for my backup) I have a feeling I will fine some use for them.

(sarcasm) Curse You Hypnosis4u2nv Curse You I Say (sarcasm)

LOL.. I ordered 2 for myself, 1 for my sister, 1 for my buddy and considering one more for the in-laws.. I curse myself sometimes too!

kodireddy said:   Looks like this is a PAID marketing thread. this deal has been in 1st page since last 10 days and usually, no deal stays in 1st page for that long. Beware of it. It may be paid deal.

Go back to lurk mode, freeloader.

lol what? honestly IDGAFF if this is a 'paid deal' !!! not sure what you are trying to insinuate exactly, because obviously fatwallet DOES make money on the referrals, much like you do with FatCash, duh. BUT this is an excellent deal and personally I'm extremely happy 'it was on the first page for 10 days' because I only just saw it today.

N43

Cocheseuga said:   kodireddy said:   Looks like this is a PAID marketing thread. this deal has been in 1st page since last 10 days and usually, no deal stays in 1st page for that long. Beware of it. It may be paid deal.

Go back to lurk mode, freeloader.
you would think the router is expensive the way he talks. it's 22 bucks for a wireless n, gigabit router with 2 usb port. I could give two sh*ts if it was a paid deal. ps. I own belkin and the company that is selling the refurbs and my last name is router.

Does anyone uses this router with OBi110 VOIP adapter. I had terrible experience with it. Here is my post on OBiTALK forums:

I have Netgear WNDR3700 router. I have been using OBi for about a year, I never had this stuttering problem. Last week, I purchased a backup router that was on sale "Belkin F7D7301 Share Max N300 Wireless N+ Router", and loaded Tomato firmware on it (tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx). I started to observe this stuttering problem, immediately only on Google Voice on SP1. When I call my Obi from work or cell phone, there is terrible stuttering, it is impossible to understand the AA prompts. I enabled QoS, did not help. I also have SP2 service from CallCentric, it worked OK but with some degradation in quality.I immediately removed the Belkin and started using Netgear, then, problem disappeared.When I have more time, I will try Belkin again, maybe with different firmware.

NoDeal4me said:   Does anyone uses this router with OBi110 VOIP adapter. I had terrible experience with it. Here is my post on OBiTALK forums:

I have Netgear WNDR3700 router. I have been using OBi for about a year, I never had this stuttering problem. Last week, I purchased a backup router that was on sale "Belkin F7D7301 Share Max N300 Wireless N+ Router", and loaded Tomato firmware on it (tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx). I started to observe this stuttering problem, immediately only on Google Voice on SP1. When I call my Obi from work or cell phone, there is terrible stuttering, it is impossible to understand the AA prompts. I enabled QoS, did not help. I also have SP2 service from CallCentric, it worked OK but with some degradation in quality.I immediately removed the Belkin and started using Netgear, then, problem disappeared.When I have more time, I will try Belkin again, maybe with different firmware.

I just tried this out and didn't seem to have any issues... I'm running DDWRT at this point.

jplee3 said:   NoDeal4me said:   Does anyone uses this router with OBi110 VOIP adapter. I had terrible experience with it. Here is my post on OBiTALK forums:

I just tried this out and didn't seem to have any issues... I'm running DDWRT at this point.

Also running DD-WRT here, with Vonage, for a couple weeks now with no issues at all.

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   gocint said:   I got the mega flashed successfully. However, I cant connect to the internet.

Here is a tutorial on the DD-WRT Wiki for setting up with DSL modem.. Just set it up for PPPoE..

Or..

Set PPP on your modem and leave the router with DHCP.. Video

Or..

Follow Gilbert Grapes instructions..

I have an update. I spent most of my evening yesterday trying to get this fixed. I followed the links here, and also Gilbert's advice.

I was able to get the modem (Gateway 2wire) in the bridge mode after a bit of struggle. I then changed the settings on the belkin to PPOE. Hooked up everything and fired it up. When i launched the browser, it seemed to work but then it took me to AT&T update page and did bunch of updates on its on. Finally came back saying it could not detect the internet connection (or something to that effect). My modem was in bridge mode and ofcourse i had no access to the internet.

So i try to go back to the original configuration - modem with PPOE settings but it wont let me . I noticed that the ethernet light was not on anymore. Not sure if AT&T updates bricked it - dont know what happened. Fortunately I had an old Speedstream modem lying around so I was able to get that hooked up and get the internet working again. So I am back to where i started except may have potentially bricked one of my modems - (Oh, i did try to use the reset button on the back of the modem but it did not work, i guess i could try it again later today)

Seemed like i almost got it to work - Not sure what else i could have done. I guess i could try it again or call AT&T and see if they help me set this up.

gocint said:   I was able to get the modem (Gateway 2wire) in the bridge mode after a bit of struggle. I then changed the settings on the belkin to PPOE. Hooked up everything and fired it up. When i launched the browser, it seemed to work but then it took me to AT&T update page and did bunch of updates on its on. Finally came back saying it could not detect the internet connection (or something to that effect). My modem was in bridge mode and ofcourse i had no access to the internet.

So i try to go back to the original configuration - modem with PPOE settings but it wont let me . I noticed that the ethernet light was not on anymore. Not sure if AT&T updates bricked it - dont know what happened. Fortunately I had an old Speedstream modem lying around so I was able to get that hooked up and get the internet working again. So I am back to where i started except may have potentially bricked one of my modems - (Oh, i did try to use the reset button on the back of the modem but it did not work, i guess i could try it again later today)

Seemed like i almost got it to work - Not sure what else i could have done. I guess i could try it again or call AT&T and see if they help me set this up.

After configuring (steps below) the Gateway 2wire for bridged mode, and when you setup the Belkin for PPPoE, did you put in your AT&T's username (ex. memberid@sbcglobal.net, memberid@att.net etc.) and password into the corresponding fields in the PPPoE setup on the Belkin router? If not that might explain why you went to an AT&T web page rather than gaining access to the internet.

Edit to add: Here are the steps for putting a 2Wire into Bridge Mode:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5160159_put-wire-bridge-mode.html
Instructions
1 Open your Webbrowser and navigate to "192.168.1.254". A page with your modem's control panel will appear.

2 Click on the "Home Network" tab in the upper section of the control panel.

3 Click on the “Disable” button corresponding to the wirelessconnection on the right side of the Network Summary page.

4 Click on the “Broadband” link and then click "Advanced Settings."

5 Change the VPI setting to "0" and the VCI setting to "35".

6 Click on "Disable PVC Search."

7 Set the Connection Type to "Direct IP."

8 Click "Submit/Save."

9 Direct your browser to "192.168.1.254/management" or "gateway.2wire.net/mdc".

10 Click on "Configure Services" under the Advanced heading.

11 Uncheck the "Enable Routing" box.

12 Click "Submit."

1 said: except may have potentially bricked one of my modems - (Oh, i did try to use the reset button on the back of the modem but it did not work, i guess i could try it again later today)

Which model modem did you think you bricked. what kind of lights do you get on the modem if any

bennor said:   

After configuring (steps below) the Gateway 2wire for bridged mode, and when you setup the Belkin for PPPoE, did you put in your AT&T's username (ex. memberid@sbcglobal.net, memberid@att.net etc.) and password into the corresponding fields in the PPPoE setup on the Belkin router?

Yes. I did. I put the user name and password in the belkin PPPoE settings. I made sure I entered them correctly.

bennor said:    Edit to add: Here are the steps for putting a 2Wire into Bridge Mode:"

Yes followed these exact same steps - word to word.

GilbertsGrape said:    What itch model modem did you think you bricked. what kind of lights do you get on the modem if any

dont remember right now but i think it is this one...2701HG-B. I will need to double check when i get home. The reason i thought i bricked it was because the ethernet light was not on but I dont know i was so frustrated, perhaps i didnt have the ethernet cord plugged in and assumed it was bricked . I will check again later today. I will also try the reset button again to get the modem back to defaults and do this all over again.

I've tried several 300n usb adapters and a couple pci cards and it seems this router wont connect to any of them at 300mbs the most I get is 144.4mbs. I've set up the router as N only is this normal? the router I replaced would always have a 300mb or 288mb connection on one adapter. Am I missing something. or is it some kind of hardware incompatibility.

Some of my adapters are atheros, others are ralink, and a few realteks. putting DD-WRT on this thing was a breeze by the way.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014