• 112 13 14151645
  • Page
  • Text Only
CardinalDeal said:   Thanks for a great deal! Flashed to build 18246 and so far it seems great. Haven't done any speed tests, but all the features of DD-WRT beat the pants of my $100+ Asus N56U which I regret buying. So much I like this router with DD-WRT that I want to buy another one, even though I don't need it. I couldn't help myself I bought a backup for my backup. Join the club it is fun over here.

Well, I got my Belkin and have been playing around with Tomato-USB on it.

I am currently living in a rented room and don't have access to the house's wireless router, except for its read-only status page (it's a Linksys DIR-615 running DD-WRT, with WPA2-AES security and no device whitelist in use). The original plan was to set up the Belkin in Wireless Client or Ethernet Bridge mode, then use it as a USB printer server. Unfortunately, I just can't seem to get it working. The Belkin sees the main router in the house, but for some reason when I try to connect the IP configuration fields are always stuck at "0.0.0.0" and "Refreshing".

I can connect the Belkin through a second access point in the house (set to WEP-64 encryption for use with some legacy gadgets), where it functions in client or bridge modes without problems. However, although the USB printer works while I'm hard-wired to the Belkin via Ethernet, I can't get through to it wirelessly.

Sabre103 said:   CardinalDeal said:   Thanks for a great deal! Flashed to build 18246 and so far it seems great. Haven't done any speed tests, but all the features of DD-WRT beat the pants of my $100+ Asus N56U which I regret buying. So much I like this router with DD-WRT that I want to buy another one, even though I don't need it. I couldn't help myself I bought a backup for my backup. Join the club it is fun over here.
When I bought mine, I bought a backup for my backup for my backup $20 is pretty inexpensive for a shitty router, let alone the most robust router I have ever owned

I am still using Belkin stock firmware with usb drive with no issue but wanted to use torrent aptware. Can someone share experience about ddwrt or tomatoe setup? Is it easy to setup?

You have to do a 30/30/30 reboot then set static IP to 192.168.2.8 - open up IE and connect to 192.168.2.1 Flash dd-wrt mini and wait 5 minutes after screen tells you modem is rebooting. After 5 minutes, connect to 192.168.1.1 then upgrade firmware to dd-wrt mega

Metastallion said:   Sabre103 said:   CardinalDeal said:   Thanks for a great deal! Flashed to build 18246 and so far it seems great. Haven't done any speed tests, but all the features of DD-WRT beat the pants of my $100+ Asus N56U which I regret buying. So much I like this router with DD-WRT that I want to buy another one, even though I don't need it. I couldn't help myself I bought a backup for my backup. Join the club it is fun over here.
When I bought mine, I bought a backup for my backup for my backup $20 is pretty inexpensive for a shitty router, let alone the most robust router I have ever owned

I've been around, I know this club ... First buy, then find a reason. While admittedly I bought a lot of unnecessary stuff thanks to FW, this is not only a great deal on a very functional item, but hey, it's a fun toy for a lot of us.

Now ... time to put tomato on this thing

I don't have access to IE...

Tried Chrome/Safari/Firefox...all no go. Chrome/Firefox immediately just error, Safari sits there but doesn't upload anything.

So I'm not sure how I'm going to get dd-wrt on this...

Speaking of IE, don't even try with IE on W8CP - it won't work.

MrEnigma said:   I don't have access to IE...

Tried Chrome/Safari/Firefox...all no go. Chrome/Firefox immediately just error, Safari sits there but doesn't upload anything.

So I'm not sure how I'm going to get dd-wrt on this...

Chrome worked for me.. Firefox didn't..

got it all going tonight. tomato was a no go for my android stuff. flashed Mega and now have no drops. tablets only connected at 24mbps.

After trying out Tomato and DD-WRT ended up back trying out the Belkin firmware 1.00.08 for a few days and haven't experienced any issues or than the limited options in the firmware. And the router indicating a wireless speed of 150 when several Wireless N devices are connected, Tomato indicated 300 and DD-WRT fluctuated between 144 and 300 while the wireless devices indicated 72 Mbps under DDWRT.

I didn't have much luck gaining access from a client computer to a USB flash drive or USB printer connected to the router using Tomato, and DD-WRT when attempting to follow several different directions for configuring USB printers and hard drives.

One surprising though. Using the Belkin firmware with an older HP Officejet printer (J5700 series) connected to the router, I was able to use the scanning and other features beyond simple printing when I installed the Belkin Setup, Router Monitor Software and Apps for the router. Under the Belkin firmware USB connected hard drives (or flash drives) show up in the Network Neighborhood (Windows XP and 7) under "router".

i just noticed power button on router does not work any more also no USB lights on at the back even usb drive it attached or not even when reading from usb drive no light is on.

Firmware is DD-WRT 18946 v24-sp2 mega

is any body else has same problem

roseusa said:   i just noticed power button on router does not work any more also no USB lights on at the back even usb drive it attached or not even when reading from usb drive no light is on.

Firmware is DD-WRT 18946 v24-sp2 mega

is any body else has same problem

Power button? There isn't a power button on this router, only a reset button (on the back) and the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) Light and Button (top front under the Router Status Light.

I do believe that when DD-WRT is loaded the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) Light and Button are non functional. I think with the TomatoUSB firmware you can configure this button. If I remember right the button is configured to activate a Telnet session when pressed for 20 seconds, I didn't try it to see if it actually works.

I don't remember if when using DD-WRT the USB indicator lights on the back lit up, but under TomatoUSB there is a quirk where only one of the two USB indicator light lit up on my router. It was the right hand light when looking at the back of the router. When using the Belkin firmware, the USB indicator light lights up when using a USB flash drive or external hard drive. However, when using a USB printer the indicator light does not light up on my router.

My mistake. I thought its pwr button did not read word WPS. by the way how and why we use this button if we already protect with security keys in wireless security settings.

roseusa said:   My mistake. I thought its pwr button did not read word WPS. by the way how and why we use this button if we already protect with security keys in wireless security settings.

WPS

thanks got it. Hypnosis4u2nv, did you find way to mount NTFS external drive?

roseusa said:   thanks got it. Hypnosis4u2nv, did you find way to mount NTFS external drive?

Haven't had much time to play with the router during the last week, but I will try tonight or tomorrow night..

bennor said:   After trying out Tomato and DD-WRT ended up back trying out the Belkin firmware 1.00.08 for a few days and haven't experienced any issues or than the limited options in the firmware. And the router indicating a wireless speed of 150 when several Wireless N devices are connected, Tomato indicated 300 and DD-WRT fluctuated between 144 and 300 while the wireless devices indicated 72 Mbps under DDWRT.

I didn't have much luck gaining access from a client computer to a USB flash drive or USB printer connected to the router using Tomato, and DD-WRT when attempting to follow several different directions for configuring USB printers and hard drives.

One surprising though. Using the Belkin firmware with an older HP Officejet printer (J5700 series) connected to the router, I was able to use the scanning and other features beyond simple printing when I installed the Belkin Setup, Router Monitor Software and Apps for the router. Under the Belkin firmware USB connected hard drives (or flash drives) show up in the Network Neighborhood (Windows XP and 7) under "router".

I'm having difficulties setting up a USB printer with DD-WRT and wanted to revert back to Belkin original firmware. Can you post the steps doing the revert? Thanks.

I'm having difficulties setting up a usb printer with DD_WRT and wanted to revert back to Blekin firmware. Appreciate some one could post the steps for the revert. Thanks.

Based on what I read about other people's experiences, I expected some drama while installing Tomato. However, it went very smooth. This is the one I installed:
tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-VLAN-RT-VPN-NOCAT.trx
Since I already had DD-WRT build 18246 (mini + mega), all I had to do was go to dd-wrt upgrade firmware screen and uploaded Toastman's tomato. Fingers crossed, and - viola!

After that initially I could not get internet. That got resolved after rebooting the cable modem. Computers, Android phone and ipad connected immediately.
I am a little concerned because the status page shows CPU usage 100% most of the time.I don't know if this could lead to hiccups later on, especially if I enable some services.
Also, I enabled ssh and telnet (just for play), but got access denied when trying to connect with putty. Not sure what else need to be enabled to get access.

CardinalDeal said:   Also, I enabled ssh and telnet (just for play), but got access denied when trying to connect with putty. Not sure what else need to be enabled to get access.I would just have ssh running, telnet is insecure.

Is the service started?
What port is it set to?
Are you connected via cable or wireless?

BTW, I just checked my CPU (2.15%) with 49.70 of free ram.

After you flash Tomato if it is now asking you for a password, and you can't get in, just reset it by holding down the reset button for 30 seconds, then release. You don't need to unplug or anything.

It seems that because you are loading Tomato when using DD-WRT, it assumes you are updating to a newer DD-WRT version, so it only does a soft load.

You have to do a full reset/reboot for Tomato to load

I have a Belkin network USB hub. I'm using DD-WRT 18946.
I connected the hub to a network port. I connected an old WD external drive to the hub.
Hub manager can see the drive but not connect.
Any ideas?
Thank you

Has anyone else come across the following issue that I'm going through?
I've loaded up the router with a tomato firmware (i'll get the specific one later, but it doesn't make a difference)... i went from dd-wrt lite to mega and then tomato. Well, when I can connect to the router, I can't connect to the internet. If I plug in my old router I have 0 issues. I've tried resetting my modem (comcast service) but nothing.

Loaded the DD-wrt 18946 mega onto this thing. Used this router as primary and E2000 (also on dd-wrt) as a repeater bridge. Everything is fine.

But I can't get HP1018 printer work and no USB drive showing up. My question is if I go back to Belkin stock FW, would I mess up the settings on the secondary router which serves as repeater bridge?

raptord said:   Loaded the DD-wrt 18946 mega onto this thing. Used this router as primary and E2000 (also on dd-wrt) as a repeater bridge. Everything is fine.

But I can't get HP1018 printer work and no USB drive showing up. My question is if I go back to Belkin stock FW, would I mess up the settings on the secondary router which serves as repeater bridge?

according original Tomato USB author, teddy_bear, you will have to load firmware into HP1018/1020 or other similar HP printers
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/tomato-nd-usb-mod.2...
read the middle of first post about HP1018 and how to do it in Tomato.

corduroy said:   Has anyone else come across the following issue that I'm going through?
I've loaded up the router with a tomato firmware (i'll get the specific one later, but it doesn't make a difference)... i went from dd-wrt lite to mega and then tomato. Well, when I can connect to the router, I can't connect to the internet. If I plug in my old router I have 0 issues. I've tried resetting my modem (comcast service) but nothing.
On the router does it show that it is connected.. view-able under Status=>Overview=>WAN. It should say connected.

If it doesn't than reboot modem wait a 1 min than reboot router.

Redmaple122 said:   I'm having difficulties setting up a usb printer with DD_WRT and wanted to revert back to Blekin firmware. Appreciate some one could post the steps for the revert. Thanks.
There are two ways to revert back to the Belkin firmware. I've done it both ways. You will first need the Belkin firmware. My router initially came with 1.00.06. First step is to download the Belkin router firmware if you do not already have a copy of it.

Version 1.00.06 (Aug 14 2010): http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/F7D7301_WW_1.00.06.bin
Or the newer firmware...
Version 1.00.08 (Dec 24 2010) : http://networking.belkin.com/update/files/F7D7301/v1/WW/F7D7301_WW_1.00.08.bin

The Easy Way if DD-WRT or TomatoUSB is Loaded:
Easiest way to update or revert back to the Belkin firmware is within either the DD-WRT or TomatoUSB administration page(s), go to the firmware update page and select the Belkin firmware you downloaded from the link(s) above, and then upload it to the router. Wait at least 5 minutes during which the router may reboot one or more times. After 5 minutes, configure your computer with the static IP 192.168.2.8, mask 255.255.255.0 and then log into the router's administration page at http://192.168.2.1. The Belkin status page should then load.

If for some reason the router behaves erratically (especially the wireless connection) do a 30-30-30 reset and go to the CFE web page and hit the clear/reset NVRAM link, then reboot the router.

The Longer Way:
  • Start by configuring your wired computer for the static IP 192.168.2.8, mask 255.255.255.0. Ensure your computer does not have any other network connection (like wireless) active while it is wired to the router. Remove any other wired connections to the router including the broadband modem if one is connected.
  • Do a 30-30-30 reset. press and hold in the reset button for 30 seconds, continue to hold the button in while you remove power to the router for 30 seconds, continue to hold in the reset button and reapply power and wait 30 more seconds. The router indicator light on the top front should be off.
  • Using Internet Explorer log into the router's CFE web page via http://192.168.2.1. Just to be safe I hit the clear/reset NVRAM link on the CFE page before uploading the firmware, don't know if this step is really needed.
  • Select the browse button and locate the Belkin Firmware listed above and select the upload button. You should then be notified that the file has been uploaded (or something along those lines).
  • Wait at least 5 minutes. The router will reboot one or more times during the firmware update process.
  • When 5 minutes have passed, log back into the router at http://192.168.2.1 and (hopefully) you will be at the Belkin status page. You can then reconfigure as needed.

With the Belkin firmware loaded you can use the Belkin Setup, Router Monitor Software and Apps program (installed from the CD or the link below) to install/access any USB-router connected printers. Using the Belkin firmware/Apps program I can access all of the features (scanning, fax, etc.) of my USB-router connected HP Office Jet J5700 series multi-function printer.

F7D7301 Share Max N300 Wireless N Router - Setup, Router Monitor Software and Apps: http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4871/kw/F7D7301

corduroy said:   Has anyone else come across the following issue that I'm going through?

Log into the router and CLONE the MAC ADDRESS of your computer to the router. Both TomatoUSB and DD-WRT have an option to clone your computer's MAC address to the router. Once the address is cloned power cycle the modem and router and wait a few minutes, then test for internet connectivity. Sometimes you may have to turn off the cable modem for 5 to 10 minutes and then restart it and test for internet connectivity after cloning the MAC Address.

Note: For those who use AT&T DSL service, with certain AT&T DSL modems you may not have internet access right after loading TomatoUSB or DD-WRT. This may be due to an IP conflict with IP 192.168.1.1. Try changing the router's local IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1. Reboot the modem and router, and computer (or do a "ipconfig /release" then an "ipconfig /renew" from the CMD window in Windows), and test for internet connectivity.

roseusa said:   My mistake. I thought its pwr button did not read word WPS. by the way how and why we use this button if we already protect with security keys in wireless security settings.
The WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) button is supposed to be the simple way for noobs to connect wireless clients to the router without having to mess around with logging in and setting various wireless security settings. You simply press the button and activate your client's WPS settings and the two should connect after a minute or two and that's it.

The problem is that WPS on some routers can be hacked. I you use the Belkin Firmware and are not using WPS you should disable it. If you load DD-WRT it does not offer WPS so there is no worries about being hacked via WPS. From what I understand TomatoUSB does not use WPS so it supposedly cannot be hacked via WPS. In fact with any router that uses the stock router firmware and utilizes WPS, one should check with the manufacturer to see how to prevent the WPS/Reaver attack on their router. More information on this security vulnerability: http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2011/12/researchers-publish-open-source-tool-for-hacking-wifi-protected-setup.ars

kodireddy said:   Looks like this is a PAID marketing thread. this deal has been in 1st page since last 10 days and usually, no deal stays in 1st page for that long. Beware of it. It may be paid deal.
Put your tin foil hat back on.

Sabre103 said:   CardinalDeal said:   Also, I enabled ssh and telnet (just for play), but got access denied when trying to connect with putty. Not sure what else need to be enabled to get access.I would just have ssh running, telnet is insecure.

Is the service started?
What port is it set to?
Are you connected via cable or wireless?

BTW, I just checked my CPU (2.15%) with 49.70 of free ram.

I was probably typing the password wrong or something. I can log in now.
Also figured out the CPU usage. It was scanning my USB drive to build a media server database. I cancelled the scan, now CPU usage is around 5-7% and 47MB RAM free.
Looks like this router is ready for prime time.

bennor said:   There are two ways to revert back to the Belkin firmware. I've done it both ways. You will first need the Belkin firmware. My router initially came with 1.00.06. First step is to download the Belkin router firmware if you do not already have a copy of it.

Version 1.00.06 (Aug 14 2010): http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/F7D7301_WW_1.00.06.bin
Or the newer firmware...
Version 1.00.08 (Dec 24 2010) : http://networking.belkin.com/update/files/F7D7301/v1/WW/F7D7301_WW_1.00.08.bin

The Easy Way if DD-WRT or TomatoUSB is Loaded:
Easiest way to update or revert back to the Belkin firmware is within either the DD-WRT or TomatoUSB administration page(s), go to the firmware update page and select the Belkin firmware you downloaded from the link(s) above, and then upload it to the router. Wait at least 5 minutes during which the router may reboot one or more times. After 5 minutes, configure your computer with the static IP 192.168.2.8, mask 255.255.255.0 and then log into the router's administration page at http://192.168.2.1. The Belkin status page should then load.

If for some reason the router behaves erratically (especially the wireless connection) do a 30-30-30 reset and go to the CFE web page and hit the clear/reset NVRAM link, then reboot the router.

The Longer Way
  • Start by configuring your wired computer for the static IP 192.168.2.8, mask 255.255.255.0. Ensure your computer does not have any other network connection (like wireless) active while it is wired to the router. Remove any other wired connections to the router including the broadband modem if one is connected.
  • Do a 30-30-30 reset. press and hold in the reset button for 30 seconds, continue to hold the button in while you remove power to the router for 30 seconds, continue to hold in the reset button and reapply power and wait 30 more seconds. The router indicator light on the top front should be off.
  • Using Internet Explorer log into the router's CFE web page via http://192.168.2.1. Just to be safe I hit the clear/reset NVRAM link on the CFE page before uploading the firmware, don't know if this step is really needed.
  • Select the browse button and locate the Belkin Firmware listed above and select the upload button. You should then be notified that the file has been uploaded (or something along those lines).
  • Wait at least 5 minutes. The router will reboot one or more times during the firmware update process.
  • When 5 minutes have passed, log back into the router at http://192.168.2.1 and (hopefully) you will be at the Belkin status page. You can then reconfigure as needed.

With the Belkin firmware loaded you can use the Belkin Setup, Router Monitor Software and Apps program (installed from the CD or the link below) to install/access any USB-router connected printers. Using the Belkin firmware/Apps program I can access all of the features (scanning, fax, etc.) of my USB-router connected HP Office Jet J5700 series multi-function printer.

F7D7301 Share Max N300 Wireless N Router - Setup, Router Monitor Software and Apps: http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4871/kw/F7D7301

Thanks Bennor! Added this to the Member Summary!

raptord said:   Loaded the DD-wrt 18946 mega onto this thing. Used this router as primary and E2000 (also on dd-wrt) as a repeater bridge. Everything is fine.

If you change the settings on the Belkin firmware to anything different than what you had originally, then yes.. If you plan on using the same settings then no..

I'm having a problem getting the scan function of my printer to work in Tomato while connected to the router.It's a Canon MP460 and was able to get the printer to work with no problem but have no luck with the scanner.Followed the Tomato instructions and tried other methods in Windows 7 64bit. Any idea's?

zcm923c0 said:   bennor said:   Log into the router and CLONE the MAC ADDRESS of your computer to the router.

Wrong.

Why? The person I responded to has Comcast service and with Comcast internet service you generally have to clone your PC's MAC Address to the router. When you reset or flash this router from the Belkin firmware to alternate firmware you may loose the cloned MAC address in the process.

From DD-WRT's MAC Address Clone page...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/MAC_Address_Clone
"Many ISP's require you to register your equipment's MAC (or Media Access Controller) address to be able to use their services, as this provides a method of keeping track of billing and/or bandwidth monitoring."

I was in for one but unfortunately its doa

power supply works but no lights on unit

usually if you switch devices you have to power cycle the cable modem..

and it will work again.. cloning the mac address is usually not required

randi4ni said:   I was in for one but unfortunately its doa

power supply works but no lights on unit

usually if you switch devices you have to power cycle the cable modem..

Power supply? You got a power supply? Am I the only one one who received one with NO POWER SUPPLY??? Figures, I always get the broken one.

randi4ni said:   usually if you switch devices you have to power cycle the cable modem..

With Comcast in my area its hit or miss on non comcast routers working right out of the box without using the clone mac address feature. On a family member's Comcast service using a Linksys router I had to clone the mac address to get their internet service to run. Another family member who had Cablevision, same thing when they used a store bought router, no internet access until we cloned the mac address. Cloning the mac address is a simple step to perform to see if it fixes the inability to access the internet when using Comcast or other cable company's internet service.

I used DD-WRT mega to try to do this. DHCP was set to auto. I tried cloning the mac address... no difference. As soon as I plugged in the Ethernet cable from the modem to the router I then had wifi issues with it dropping every so often (still no internet).

After disconnecting it from the modem and just trying to connect to it via LAN to the computer and logging in that way, 192.168.1.1/etc was unreachable. Only way was to connect to the router was via wifi... I'm not a newbie at this... i have an e2000 running tomato (and a buffalo g54s with tomato) but this router is proving to be frustrating...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.