• 114 15 16171845
  • Page
  • Text Only
I used tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-VLAN-RT-VPN-NOCAT.trx and had no issues. I am using the router now for my home.
Most likely I will never use NOCAT and probably a bunch of the other features, but wanted to install them just of curiosity, so why not.

In for two, one to replace my old Asus WL-300 running DD-WRT in client mode to use my neighbors WiFi, and another to replace my AP that died just a couple of days ago.

Thanks OP!

For some reason with the TomatoUSB the router status light is orange rather than green (at least for me). The router appears to be working fine. Anyone know of a fix to change the light back to green under TomatoUSB?

PapaGayo said:   I believe you can.
The dual band routers have 2 bandwidth (5 and 2.4).. If you use 2 of these Belkin routers, they both are using 2.4ghz. Make sure to make the channels different. You can limit one just for N connection.

The questions you have to ask yourself.. "Do I really need 2 routers? High bandwidth of wireless?"

I needed the GHZ ported router, because i do lot of data transfers between computers. If you are mostly doing things on the internet, you are limited by the speed of the internet connection, which will most likely be lot less.

Example:
if your internet connection is 10mbps through your provider, even if you are connected wireless at 300 mbps, you are only going to download at 10mbps.

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   
Have one only N and and have the other only B/G..

PapaGayo and Hypnosis4u2nv - thanks for your responses. If I get two routers, I plan to set one up for N only and the other up for B/G only. I hope that is possible in the router setup. The reason I would like to do this is because I would like to connect a Roku (wireless N) device some time my TV and want to ensure that if there is a laptop or mobile phone connected using wireless b/g, it does not slow down the Roku. One of the posters mentioned that could happen using this router. Also, I would like to be able to transfer files between wireless N connected devices at the fastest rate possible instead of transferring at wireless G rates. This would also give me an excuse to buy a second router at this price! Does this sound like an unnecessary exercise with no benefits?

Hope the steps for such a setup using dd-wrt or Tomato listed somewhere. I doubt if I will be able to figure it out myself!

And Hypnosis4u2nv, thanks a lot for the original post and also for including the procedures to flash the firmware!

Anyone using the router for NAS? How is your performance? I seem to be getting a file transfer rate of only about 5-6 MB/sec. I was expecting at least 10-12 MB/sec. I thought maybe my HDD is slow, but I get the same with a USB drive.

add more access points using wired bridges (either ddwrt or tomatousb should work), if you want to stick with wifi. otherwise, look into using the ethernet cable.

"I am looking at using this in my office. We have 10 wifi computers in "N" only mode. A lot of data is transferred between computers and speed is an issue. It is a render farm on wireless lan.

What would you recommend for stable fast wifi: ddwrt, tomato or update stock? I need no other features.

Anyone with Suggestions?"

I have 2 setups..
I have a pogoplug as my NAS and I also tried the USB ports on the router.
I can get on average about 19 mbps on the pogoplug.

I think you will be lucky, if you can even get 4 mbps on the usb port on the router.
I don't think it's the bandwidth issue, it's more likely the processor from the router to write to the portable drive.

domeng said:   add more access points using wired bridges (either ddwrt or tomatousb should work), if you want to stick with wifi. otherwise, look into using the ethernet cable.

"I am looking at using this in my office. We have 10 wifi computers in "N" only mode. A lot of data is transferred between computers and speed is an issue. It is a render farm on wireless lan.

What would you recommend for stable fast wifi: ddwrt, tomato or update stock? I need no other features.

For you, I think dual band simultaneous router is needed. Single band, you are sharing one connection. At least, if you have dual band or more than one router, they can share the bandwidth, which will give you better performance.

bennor said:   For some reason with the TomatoUSB the router status light is orange rather than green (at least for me). The router appears to be working fine. Anyone know of a fix to change the light back to green under TomatoUSB?

I had the same problem initially, and a re-start solved the problem.

PapaGayo said:   I have 2 setups..
I have a pogoplug as my NAS and I also tried the USB ports on the router.
I can get on average about 19 mbps on the pogoplug.

I think you will be lucky, if you can even get 4 mbps on the usb port on the router.
I don't think it's the bandwidth issue, it's more likely the processor from the router to write to the portable drive.

Hmm, you are right, I should have seen that. CPU usage gets to 100% as soon as the copy starts. Oh well, all is not lost, maybe. If I can setup my pogoplug, then the router can be used as a secondary NAS, I can schedule periodic backup jobs to copy files from the pogoplug.

Not to get off-topic, but if your pogoplug is the Seagate Dockstar, what did you use to flash it? (you can PM not to clutter the thread with off-topic stuff)

Got a DOA unit..no power light at all. Just plugged in and waited 5 minutes for router to come on.

txtag said:   All any help would be appreciated.

I flashed ddwrt mini and tomato fine. reverted back to ddwrt and tried to restore a ddwrt version from my current backup on the new router. evidently i bricked it...
If you flashed a DD-WRT backup of a different brand/model router onto this Belkin, that unfortuantely seems to be a sure-fire way to brick this router to the point of no recovery (other than perhaps JTAG, which may or may not be available).

txtag said:   
I have tried both of fixes above and nothing will work. I have tried the 30/30/30 and cant get back to the CFE page.
symptoms:

no lights...
cant ping
Have tried all ips including static...
checked power supply
checked cable

Don't Know what else to try? any help appreciated.
You've turned your router into a paper weight. Swap it for a new one, or submit a warranty claim w/ Belkin claiming it's DOA.

hellotheworld said:   bennor said:   For some reason with the TomatoUSB the router status light is orange rather than green (at least for me). The router appears to be working fine. Anyone know of a fix to change the light back to green under TomatoUSB?

I had the same problem initially, and a re-start solved the problem.

After some Googling it turns out you can control the router lights (LED) by either, telnet into the router, or issuing the commands from the TomatoUSB Tools > System menu page. I now see why only one of the two LED lights activates when a USB drive in inserted or the "led usb on" command is issued. I think the TomatoUSB firmware, while it will utilize both USB ports, it (for some reason) only controls one of the two USB LED's. I suspect (guess) this might be due to the firmware possibly being programmed for routers with only one USB LED/port. Anyhow here are the commands and the lights/LED's they control. I assume you could program these commands via the TomatoUSB Administration > Scripts page.

TomatoUSB LED Commands:
led diag on - turns Router Status Light orange.
led diag off - turns Router Status Light green.
led usb on - turns on the right hand (looking at the back of the router) USB LED.
led usb off - turns off the right hand (looking at the back of the router) USB LED.
led aoss on - turns on the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) Light and makes it orange.
led aoss off - turns off the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) Light.
led dmz on - turns on a the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) Light and makes it green.
led dmz off - turns off a the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) Light.

Okay, I've done the 30/30/30 thing now about 30 times, and every time I get the "Belkin Router Setup" page on 192.168.2.1 after refresh. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

I have my old 2.5 inch 200 gb USB hard drive (NTFS) hooked on TOMATO and worked fine. The other USB3.0 1.5TB (NTFS, SATAIII)not showing up at 192.168.1.1. Even format it to EXT2 not helping. Anybody can give a pointer on this?

union122 said:   Got a DOA unit..no power light at all. Just plugged in and waited 5 minutes for router to come on.

We hot Dealers that have not participated in this bargain yet would be very interested in how the seller handles this problem.

Some hot deals folks say their units are arriving with dead power supply or no power supply.

How is the seller treating you?

Thanks from us all.

hpm.

I got it to work, but I had to press and hold the WPS switch on the front and not the reset switch on the rear.

Does that mean I have a different version than everyone else?

domeng said:   add more access points using wired bridges (either ddwrt or tomatousb should work), if you want to stick with wifi. otherwise, look into using the ethernet cable.

If you are a techie, you may want to look into OpenWRT. It's rock solid but there's no port for this router yet. You would need to build your own.

I am not really impressed with this Belkin router (dd-wrt). Connection is rather sporatic. I've had 6 WRT54G routers with dd-wrt (different apps.)and never had any issue with internet connection. I just keep this one in my closet.

pdxor said:   I am not really impressed with this Belkin router (dd-wrt). Connection is rather sporatic. I've had 6 WRT54G routers with dd-wrt (different apps.)and never had any issue with internet connection. I just keep this one in my closet.
If you mean your Belkin is reproducing via mitotic division, then pehaps yours is actually sporatic. If you mean the connection works intermittently, then yours is sporadic.

Sorry to be a stickler, but I can't help myself.

I've been running two of these on DD-WRT for a few weeks now without issue. Perhaps your DD-WRT isn't properly configured or isn't the most stable version?

I am setting up a bridge at my GF's place with this new router. She has an actiontek dsl modem/router combo. DHCP is active on the actiontek, and on the Belkin I have TomatoUSB, I have the router set to 192.168.0.3, with the DHCP turned off.

From the DSL Modem/Router goes into the Lan port of the Belkin, internet works fine and I am able to access the Modem 192.168.0.1. When I first boot up the Belkin, I can access both 192.168.0.1 and the Belkin by going to 192.168.0.3. After 10 minutes, it doesn't want to connect to 192.168.0.3 but it will connect to 192.168.0.1 still.

What am I missing, do I have to turn on some kind of loopback?

have you tried a different build of the ddwrt? say, 16994?

pdxor said:   I am not really impressed with this Belkin router (dd-wrt). Connection is rather sporatic. I've had 6 WRT54G routers with dd-wrt (different apps.)and never had any issue with internet connection. I just keep this one in my closet.

domeng said:   have you tried a different build of the ddwrt? say, 16994?

No. I just used the builds in the wiki. But I will probably try a different one like you said to see if it makes a difference.

Toddler said:   pdxor said:   I am not really impressed with this Belkin router (dd-wrt). Connection is rather sporatic. I've had 6 WRT54G routers with dd-wrt (different apps.)and never had any issue with internet connection. I just keep this one in my closet.
If you mean your Belkin is reproducing via mitotic division, then pehaps yours is actually sporatic. If you mean the connection works intermittently, then yours is sporadic.

I've been running two of these on DD-WRT for a few weeks now without issue. Perhaps your DD-WRT isn't properly configured or isn't the most stable version?

What build are you using? I was using the 2 from the wiki for this Belkin. Like I said, I have 6 WRT-54G routers running dd-wrt at home with different apps in the last 4 years without a glitch. I know what I am doing with all the settings and stuff. So settings are not my issue.

pdxor said:   Toddler said:   pdxor said:   I am not really impressed with this Belkin router (dd-wrt). Connection is rather sporatic. I've had 6 WRT54G routers with dd-wrt (different apps.)and never had any issue with internet connection. I just keep this one in my closet.

What build are you using? I was using the 2 from the wiki for this Belkin. Like I said, I have 6 WRT-54G routers running dd-wrt at home with different apps in the last 4 years without a glitch. I know what I am doing with all the settings and stuff. So settings are not my issue.

I hear you. I'm running dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin on both of mine. I also replaced a WRT54GS that had run DD-WRT for I think the last seven years. It never gave me issues either, and since I set them up, these Belkins have been just as stable. Sorry to hear about your experience so far.

One thing I did which was choose the "Reset Defaults" option when I flashed the mega build.

Has anyone tried the tomato-K26USB-1.28.7498MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx or tomato-K26USB-1.28.7498.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx yet? If so any improvements over Tomato v1.28.7497 MIPSR2-Toastman-RT K26 USB Ext?

Since I bricked the first, I ordered another one last night. Try again.

why is everyone calling this gigabit whereas the spec says 300Mbps?

anandesque said:   why is everyone calling this gigabit whereas the spec says 300Mbps?
Because it is the (5) hard-wire network ports that are gigabit ethernet (1-WAN & 4-LAN).

bennor said:   Has anyone tried the tomato-K26USB-1.28.7498MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx or tomato-K26USB-1.28.7498.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx yet? If so any improvements over Tomato v1.28.7497 MIPSR2-Toastman-RT K26 USB Ext?

tomato-K26USB-1.28.7498MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx
tomato-K26USB-1.28.7498.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx

I can't tell you how cross-eyed I was trying to spot the difference!

I have one running DD-WRT and another one Tomato right next to each with no issues..

wado1 said:   Since I bricked the first, I ordered another one last night. Try again.

If you have no reason to go with Tomato, just stick with the DD-WRT for your next flash.. I think it's the safest of the two..

anandesque said:   why is everyone calling this gigabit whereas the spec says 300Mbps?
The spec state up to 300 MBps for the Wireless N speed. The gigabit speed is for the four (five if you include the Internet/WAN port) switched Ethernet ports on the back of the router.

djklmnop said:   I am setting up a bridge at my GF's place with this new router. She has an actiontek dsl modem/router combo. DHCP is active on the actiontek, and on the Belkin I have TomatoUSB, I have the router set to 192.168.0.3, with the DHCP turned off.

From the DSL Modem/Router goes into the Lan port of the Belkin, internet works fine and I am able to access the Modem 192.168.0.1. When I first boot up the Belkin, I can access both 192.168.0.1 and the Belkin by going to 192.168.0.3. After 10 minutes, it doesn't want to connect to 192.168.0.3 but it will connect to 192.168.0.1 still.

What am I missing, do I have to turn on some kind of loopback?

Follow Toddler's steps to turn on loopback..

Make sure your primary router is 192.168.0.1 and DHCP is OFF on the secondary router..

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   TRex23 said:   tangoalpha said:   TRex23 said:   I just ordered one of these. I have a 3 1/2 year-old DLink DIR-625 that has been pretty reliable until recently. I get drop-outs. My son gets kicked off of XBOX Live every 15 minutes or so. My internet radio cuts out. I can't find any interference, so I bought one of these to possibly replace it and so that I can plug in my printer and have it accessible from laptops and other devices in the house.

Here is my question and I'm hoping one of you networking gurus can answer this: Can I use both routers? If so, what would be the best way to use them and how can I find information about configuring them? My house is a split level and the maximum distance that I need to cover is about 100 square feet. Thanks.

Assuming you have either a long Cat5e/6 cable or house wiring to physically connect the two routers together, you have to determine if you want all of your devices to be on the same network. If you do, you will want to plug the gateway router's WAN port into your modem, and then connect the second router to a LAN port on the gateway router. Ideally, you should have DHCP turned ON on the gateway router and OFF on the second router. Of course, this is all subject to your specific layout and expectations.

If you are not physically connecting the routers together, start your research here to determine how you would like your network configured.

Thank you so much. I don't think I would physically connect both routers, but I might. If I did, I could have one of them right under the far room of the house that is farthest from the gateway router. I'm sure that would help the signal.

Considering your current router is on the fritz, I would buy a second Belkin and get rid of the DIR-625 altogether but only after some testing on both the Belkin and DIR-625.. Test the Belkin by making it an access point first and have your devices connect to it versus the DIR-625.. I would also change the channel on the DIR-625 to something other than 1, 3 or 6 which seem to be pretty common channel frequencies and if your area has other routers or devices using the same frequencies of your routers channel, then you would also experience connection problems..

If you decide to keep the DIR-625 as your primary router, make sure you set the router IP of the Belkin to 192.168.0.x but NOT 192.168.0.1..

Again, thank you very much. I got the router Saturday. Haven't done anything with it yet. I understand what you are saying about interference. The router has basically been wonderful for over 3 years and still is except for the occasional disconnects of other devices. It MAY be interference. I just have to figure out how to change the channel of the router. I would probably do exactly what you said -- set the Belkin up as an access point initially. Not sure how to do THAT either, but I guess I will do some research on it. I'm pretty computer savvy, but networks are not my forte. I just haven't really ever done much with them.

patchmein said:   Okay, I've done the 30/30/30 thing now about 30 times, and every time I get the "Belkin Router Setup" page on 192.168.2.1 after refresh. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
Nothing, it just isn't taking you directly to the firmware update page. Mine did the same thing. Just navigate to the update firmware section and continue with the instructions.

TRex23 said:   
Again, thank you very much. I got the router Saturday. Haven't done anything with it yet. I understand what you are saying about interference. The router has basically been wonderful for over 3 years and still is except for the occasional disconnects of other devices. It MAY be interference. I just have to figure out how to change the channel of the router. I would probably do exactly what you said -- set the Belkin up as an access point initially. Not sure how to do THAT either, but I guess I will do some research on it. I'm pretty computer savvy, but networks are not my forte. I just haven't really ever done much with them.

Plug a network cable to the LAN port of the DIR-625 and then into the LAN port of the Belkin.. Set it up with its own WiFi settings and have your devices connect to it rather than the DIR-625.. In the wireless settings page, you can change the channel that the router is transmitting on also.. Really, it's not that much different than what you did to set up your DIR-625.. Stick with stock firmware for now, you may find DD-WRT and Tomato even more confusing..

Has anyone gotten the USB printing to work on dd-wrt?? I was able to get these set up into a nice WDS network with WPA2 security, but I can't seem to get the Belkins to recognize anything out of their USB ports.

I went to Services>USB and enabled Core USB Support and all the other support options. Nothing. I can't even see a USB thumb drive attached to the back.

Hopefully, someone has figured this out and I'm just missing a radio box somewhere.

Thanks.

I had better luck getting the USB printing and USB hard drive working under TomatoUSB than DD-WRT. For DD-WRT it turns out my USB hard drive is formatted for NTFS which is not recognized right off the bat with DD-WRT. DD-WRT should see a FAT32/EXT2/EXT3 formatted hard drive though. For NTFS support its a bit more involved as it appears you need to install/activate Optware to the router to gain NTFS support.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware

I haven't been able to get my printer working with DD-WRT in the 30 minutes or so I spent trying to do so. When I have more time I'll take another shot at it. There is the following DD-WRT link that explains how to get print sharing to work.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB_printer_sharing

Hat tip to Hypnosis4u2nv for the following directions on how to enable USB hard drives in DD-WRT...

The USB hard drive should be formatted for FAT32 or EXT2 or EXT3. See this link for directions on formating your drive for EXT2 or EXT3.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_-_Format_and_Partition_External_Storage_Device

Under Services --> USB

Core USB Support -- Enable
USB Printer Support -- Disable
USB Storage Support -- Enable
Automatic Drive Mount -- Enable

Disk Mount Point -- /mnt

Save Settings

Under Services --> NAS

Samba -- Enable
Use Custom Configuration -- Disable
Server String -- <path to your main router, ie 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1>
Workgroup -- workgroup

Add Shares
Path -- /tmp/mnt/disc0
Name -- <whatever you want to name it>
Public -- Check the box yes
Access -- Read/Write

Save Settings then Apply Settings and Reboot Router

After the router reboots it should properly scan and mount the hard drive for use on the network. If using Windows, go into Network Neighborhood or Network, and your router should show up, under "Workgroup" if that's the workgroup name used, with whatever name you gave it, the default is DD-WRT. Click on the router and it should open and list the name of your shared USB drive. Clicking on the named share should then open the drive and give you read/write access to it.

Same here then i used Chrome Browser and it worked.

patchmein said:   Okay, I've done the 30/30/30 thing now about 30 times, and every time I get the "Belkin Router Setup" page on 192.168.2.1 after refresh. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014