• 115 16 17181945
  • Page
  • Text Only
wado1 said:   Since I bricked the first, I ordered another one last night. Try again.

You could send it back to Belkin and they will replace it for shipping cost.

Thanks for all that. Maybe I should move over to TomatoUSB. It took long enough on dd-wrt to get my WDS going, though, that it is hard to think of switching over.

Unfortunately, that didn't get me access. The Services>USB page does appear to recognize the disk under Disk Info, but there is no way for me to access it over the network.

bennor said:   I had better luck getting the USB printing and USB hard drive working under TomatoUSB than DD-WRT. For DD-WRT it turns out my USB hard drive is formatted for NTFS which is not recognized right off the bat with DD-WRT. DD-WRT should see a FAT32/EXT2/EXT3 formatted hard drive though. For NTFS support its a bit more involved as it appears you need to install/activate Optware to the router to gain NTFS support.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware

I haven't been able to get my printer working with DD-WRT in the 30 minutes or so I spent trying to do so. When I have more time I'll take another shot at it. There is the following DD-WRT link that explains how to get print sharing to work.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB_printer_sharing

Hat tip to Hypnosis4u2nv for the following directions on how to enable USB hard drives in DD-WRT...

The USB hard drive should be formatted for FAT32 or EXT2 or EXT3. See this link for directions on formating your drive for EXT2 or EXT3.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_-_Format_and_Partition_External_Storage_Device

Under Services --> USB

Core USB Support -- Enable
USB Printer Support -- Disable
USB Storage Support -- Enable
Automatic Drive Mount -- Enable

Disk Mount Point -- /mnt

Save Settings

Under Services --> NAS

Samba -- Enable
Use Custom Configuration -- Disable
Server String -- <path to your main router, ie 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1>
Workgroup -- workgroup

Add Shares
Path -- /tmp/mnt/disc0
Name -- <whatever you want to name it>
Public -- Check the box yes
Access -- Read/Write

Save Settings then Apply Settings and Reboot Router

After the router reboots it should properly scan and mount the hard drive for use on the network. If using Windows, go into Network Neighborhood or Network, and your router should show up, under "Workgroup" if that's the workgroup name used, with whatever name you gave it, the default is DD-WRT. Click on the router and it should open and list the name of your shared USB drive. Clicking on the named share should then open the drive and give you read/write access to it.

Can I use the same ddwrt files on the bilkin play n600 hd.

mbwd said:   Thanks for all that. Maybe I should move over to TomatoUSB. It took long enough on dd-wrt to get my WDS going, though, that it is hard to think of switching over.

Unfortunately, that didn't get me access. The Services>USB page does appear to recognize the disk under Disk Info, but there is no way for me to access it over the network.

Had the same problem at first in DD-WRT. Its a two step process, once you have the drive active under the USB page you need to activate Samba on the Services > NAS page, see the directions above, for the drive to be seen across your local network.

My 2 cents...so take it with a grain of salt

I see allot of people having issues trying to get printers, hard drive sharing, etc working on DD-WRT.

I believe that Toastman's Tomato firmware makes most of these setups very easy. (In some cases trivial)

The hardest part about moving to Toastman's firmware is that you have to remember that DHCP is disabled by default. Once you resolve that the rest is easy.

Quality of Service (QOS) alone is way way better than DD-WRT. See posting #2 for details on installation give it a week and you won't be sorry.

Looks like I'll have to try it. How do you jump from dd-wrt to Tomato? Can I just use the firmware upgrade GUI?

Sabre103 said:   My 2 cents...so take it with a grain of salt

I see allot of people having issues trying to get printers, hard drive sharing, etc working on DD-WRT.

I believe that Toastman's Tomato firmware makes most of these setups very easy. (In some cases trivial)

The hardest part about moving to Toastman's firmware is that you have to remember that DHCP is disabled by default. Once you resolve that the rest is easy.

Quality of Service (QOS) alone is way way better than DD-WRT. See posting #2 for details on installation give it a week and you won't be sorry.

I have always found Tomato easier to use in all the routers I have ever setup and hacked. I have not tried printing yet with this one since my wireless printer is working fine.

Anyone receive the reported FatCash in their account yet?

Also why is Torrenting disabled in the original Belkin firmware...

Zuke76 said:   

Good question.. I don't see anything for my purchases..

GilbertsGrape said:   Can I use the same ddwrt files on the bilkin play n600 hd.

Looks like F7D8301.. DD-WRT will work.. See HERE..

mbwd said:   Looks like I'll have to try it. How do you jump from dd-wrt to Tomato? Can I just use the firmware upgrade GUI?

I use version tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-VLAN-RT-VPN.trx because I wanted OpenVPN, PPTP, VLAN and Multiple SSID features.

You can upgrade from DD-WRT GUI just reset NVRAM when you do.

Arrived on Saturday. Still not seeing the transaction posted to my account. Waiting to see if this will communicate with a WRT54G Repeater...

hpmaster said:   union122 said:   Got a DOA unit..no power light at all. Just plugged in and waited 5 minutes for router to come on.

We hot Dealers that have not participated in this bargain yet would be very interested in how the seller handles this problem.

Some hot deals folks say their units are arriving with dead power supply or no power supply.

How is the seller treating you?

Thanks from us all.

hpm.

I sent an email regarding my missing power supply to both the sales department and the order status addresses. When I had not gotten a response by the next day, I called the tel # on my order. The rep was very helpful and knew her business. She sent an RMA info request form immediately. I filled it out and returned it yesterday. Nothing back yet but I'll keep you posted.

Don't know about others but after some more playing around with DD-WRT (dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin), getting a USB printer working (printing only) is actually pretty simple. Here are the steps that worked for me.

Attach USB Printer (in my case an HP Officejet J5700 series) to the router.
Go to Services --> USB.
Set USB Printer Support to Enable.
Select the Save button, then select the Apply Settings button. (I rebooted the router just in case, don't know if needed).

Then follow the same directions TomatoUSB recommends for setting up a printer under their firmware, these steps work for DD-WRT...
Configure Printer in Windows
http://tomatousb.org/tut:configure-printer-in-windows

I had no problem hacking the router into Tomato, but it's performance is intermittently terrrible. When I look at the status page, it has often slowed down to 1 mbps, and my websurfing is equally slow. I'm waiting on an N adapter, but using my B/G adapter this router doesn't work well at all.

Any tips?

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   Zuke76 said:   

Good question.. I don't see anything for my purchases..

Right, it just didn't show up in my FatCash...

Has anyone tried playing with the 'Advanced / Wireless / Transmit Power' setting using the Tomato firmware? I've tried different settings from 50 to 150 (supposedly mW) then hit the Save button, but I'm not seeing any difference in signal strength at my PC.

Thinking about buying a few of these for a warehouse building... Is it possible that I can use one this router as an Access Point and the other 5 as repeaters to extend the wireless coverage?

You have to request an RMA via their website, then you get an email respond with a form to fill out. They will not pay shipping for items under $100 and that was shipped free.

android said:   I had no problem hacking the router into Tomato, but it's performance is intermittently terrrible. When I look at the status page, it has often slowed down to 1 mbps, and my websurfing is equally slow. I'm waiting on an N adapter, but using my B/G adapter this router doesn't work well at all.

Any tips?

would love to hear of some. I had the same problem in DD-WRT. The wireless rate fluctuate all over the place, up to 300, down to 5.5 and even 1 Mbps once. With Toastman's TomatoUSB firmware 1.28.7498 MIPSR2-Toastman-RT K26 USB Ext, the wireless rates on the router fluctuate but not as wildly, from 300 down to 65. Sitting at 162 right now. Connected wireless devices at the moment are one Roku 2 XS currently streaming content, and a single laptop. Both are supposedly in wireless N mode. The laptop indicates its connected at 150 Mbps speed. I think that my rates are horrible due to many other wireless G routers (at least 10) in the area polluting the 2.4 spectrum. It difficult to find a channel that's open and unused. Currently the device list in Tomato indicates a quality of 57 for the laptop and 49 for the Roku even though both devices are within 30 feet line of site to the router with two walls (drywall/stud) in between.

I've experimented with raising the TX power both in DD-WRT and in Tomato and didn't have much success in improving the wireless rate.

See this DD-WRT link for more information about Wireless N and speed issues.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration

Got my router today - FedEx delivery person left it outside my door. I notice that the box has a clear tape all round it which was cut around the top opening and then there is a tamper evident tape over it. Worried whether it is a router that was returned and repackaged. Has anyone else received a package which looked like it was opened and re-taped? Not planning to open it until it is confirmed to be a new router. Will anyway be able to work with it only on the weekend so I have some time.

bawaji said:   Got my router today - FedEx delivery person left it outside my door. I notice that the box has a clear tape all round it which was cut around the top opening and then there is a tamper evident tape over it. Worried whether it is a router that was returned and repackaged. Has anyone else received a package which looked like it was opened and re-taped? Not planning to open it until it is confirmed to be a new router. Will anyway be able to work with it only on the weekend so I have some time.

Both of mine came with the tamper tape on the outermost part of the box.. The unit box was shrink wrapped and everything inside appeared to be new..

Posting as a reply to myself earlier and letting people know.

I installed the latest DD-Wrt Kong build as it has minidlna working in it. I've also got a 80GB external with Optware installed on the drive. Together I'm able to download torrents using Transmission and stream them to my PS3 with minidlna. The router can't handle 1080p content but 720p videos seem to work just fine. Note that I'm using Showtime Media Player on the hacked PS3.

JosiOK said: Has anyone tried playing with the 'Advanced / Wireless / Transmit Power' setting using the Tomato firmware? I've tried different settings from 50 to 150 (supposedly mW) then hit the Save button, but I'm not seeing any difference in signal strength at my PC.

Even if you did manage to increase the signal, you most likely will increase the noise level too and that will affect your connection speed..

uat1 said:   Thinking about buying a few of these for a warehouse building... Is it possible that I can use one this router as an Access Point and the other 5 as repeaters to extend the wireless coverage?

Of course..

prellchild said:   Posting as a reply to myself earlier and letting people know.

I installed the latest DD-Wrt Kong build as it has minidlna working in it. I've also got a 80GB external with Optware installed on the drive. Together I'm able to download torrents using Transmission and stream them to my PS3 with minidlna. The router can't handle 1080p content but 720p videos seem to work just fine. Note that I'm using Showtime Media Player on the hacked PS3.

Can you PM me your steps for installing Optware?

Any one succeded to use USB NTFS external HDD on DD-WRT?

I bought this unit for the awsome sale price but the performace is wosre than my refurb. netgear which really blows...

sircheapomatic said:   I bought this unit for the awsome sale price but the performace is wosre than my refurb. netgear which really blows...
did you flash with DD-WRT or Tomato? i bought 2 and flashed with both DD-WRT and Tomato. Both working fantastic only getting problem in DD-WRT how to mount NTFS drive at USB.

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   prellchild said:   Posting as a reply to myself earlier and letting people know.

Can you PM me your steps for installing Optware?

I'll PM this too, but it's good information. I just just followed the Optware The Right Way guide on the DD-Wrt forums. Do note the caveat mentioned on the bottom of the page, uShare, Twonky, miniDLNA don't work on "normal" DD-Wrt that are built on kernel 2.6.x. In the Kong build, the guy who made that one tweaked it so at least miniDLNA works which is why I'm using it.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware,_the_Right_Way

I went direct to tomato using post 2 almost verbatim. The one change I did was to use admin/admin as the password.
After loading tomato I was prompted for a password and admin/admin, router admin and other common ones I tried did not work. Later read this happening to others. A 30/30/30 made it look like I was bricked.
It took quite a bit of trying without units light on to get to a cfe page while watching ping -t 192.168.2.1, as in the post that mentions ping -t here. I did use IE. The password screen by the way was somewhat generic, not clear if it came from mini-ddwrt or tomato.

When I did get a CFE screen I though I would start from scratch with the mini ddwrt file, but the upload was mysteriously leading to an empty page, and I patiently waited 10 minutes+ twice.
Then i tried "reboot" on the cfe screen which put me into tomato when it came back (first time I saw tomato), and default password worked. I had disconnected unit many times by then.
In case this helps anybody thinking theirs is totally bricked... It did look bricked until it magically answered ping -t during 30/30/30 cycles. Don't give up.

bawaji said:   Got my router today - FedEx delivery person left it outside my door. I notice that the box has a clear tape all round it which was cut around the top opening and then there is a tamper evident tape over it. Worried whether it is a router that was returned and repackaged. Has anyone else received a package which looked like it was opened and re-taped? Not planning to open it until it is confirmed to be a new router. Will anyway be able to work with it only on the weekend so I have some time.
same thing that i got, tamper evident tape over it.

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   bawaji said:   Got my router today - FedEx delivery person left it outside my door. I notice that the box has a clear tape all round it which was cut around the top opening and then there is a tamper evident tape over it. Worried whether it is a router that was returned and repackaged. Has anyone else received a package which looked like it was opened and re-taped? Not planning to open it until it is confirmed to be a new router. Will anyway be able to work with it only on the weekend so I have some time. Both of mine came with the tamper tape on the outermost part of the box.. The unit box was shrink wrapped and everything inside appeared to be new..This is how mine came as well. Cardboard box says Belkin all over it, but had Expansys tamper tape covering the top flap seem. The Expansys tamper tape was on it due to what I assume was someone along the way opening it and putting in a packing/receipt slip. The actual product box inside was shrink wrapped. The plastic bag/wrap covering the router itself looked rumpled and didn't cover the back side of the router, and there was a single included Cat5 Ethernet cable that was plugged into the WAN/Internet port. The power supply and install CD were also included along with a card that has the default WiFi logins that can be slid into the bottom of the router base.

Hypnosis4u2nv, microkelvin - Thanks for your responses. I could see that the clear tape below the tamper evident tape was cut open and that got me worried. Good to know it was the same with you too and the router inside is new. Hope I can get it going over the weekend!

Thanks to all for the wonderful amount of info in here. It is enough to give me confidence to tinker with the router, knowing that if something goes wrong, I will get all the help I need here!!!

roseusa said:   Any one succeded to use USB NTFS external HDD on DD-WRT?
Went to TomatoUSB precisely because of this. Flashed to TomatoUSB and then had an NTFS drive up and running under two minutes later. For DD-WRT NTFS support it appears one has to load Optware into the router and then configure it.
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware%2C_the_Right_Way

bennor said:   roseusa said:   Any one succeded to use USB NTFS external HDD on DD-WRT?
Went to TomatoUSB precisely because of this. Flashed to TomatoUSB and then had an NTFS drive up and running under two minutes later. For DD-WRT NTFS support it appears one has to load Optware into the router and then configure it.
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware%2C_the_Right_Way

thanks for reply. i have same 2 routers. i installed TomatoUSB on one and it working fine with my NTFS external HDD, but the other one i installed DD-WRT is not working with NTFS external HDD.

xcougar said:   I went direct to tomato using post 2 almost verbatim. The one change I did was to use admin/admin as the password.
After loading tomato I was prompted for a password and admin/admin, router admin and other common ones I tried did not work. Later read this happening to others. A 30/30/30 made it look like I was bricked.
It took quite a bit of trying without units light on to get to a cfe page while watching ping -t 192.168.2.1, as in the post that mentions ping -t here. I did use IE. The password screen by the way was somewhat generic, not clear if it came from mini-ddwrt or tomato.

When I did get a CFE screen I though I would start from scratch with the mini ddwrt file, but the upload was mysteriously leading to an empty page, and I patiently waited 10 minutes+ twice.
Then i tried "reboot" on the cfe screen which put me into tomato when it came back (first time I saw tomato), and default password worked. I had disconnected unit many times by then.
In case this helps anybody thinking theirs is totally bricked... It did look bricked until it magically answered ping -t during 30/30/30 cycles. Don't give up.

I went through the exact same thing when I was going to Tomato.. CFE menu would go to a blank page after trying to load the firmware to flash.. Took a few times but eventually the flash went through and I got the loading page.. The password was screwed up too since I used the same username and password, admin/admin, and it drove me nuts to get it reset.. I found that holding down the reset button for about 10 seconds solved that and reset the password..

xcougar said:   I went direct to tomato using post 2 almost verbatim. The one change I did was to use admin/admin as the password.

With TomatoUSB I too ran into the username password problem from time to time when flashing to TomatoUSB. Most of the time after flashing to TomatoUSB the default Tomato firmware login Username: "root", Password: "admin" (without quotes) would work. There were a few instances where that login info would not work. I usually had to power cycle the router or do a quick 15 second press and hold of the reset button when plugging in power to the router then go to the CFE web page and hit the NVRAM reset/clear link then reboot the router. Then try the root/admin login again.

Never once did TomatoUSB use the DD-WRT login/password when upgrading from DD-WRT to TomatoUSB. The reason for this is because of the way DD-WRT stores the password. This link explains it: http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq#why_doesnt_my_password_work

I got this router to replace an old 11g router. I put my OOMA phone system after the router and use Wifi for laptops, initially work fine, but everytime i use the phone (OOMA), the WiFi connection will drop. (Same thing if put router after OOMA.) So i tried to flash to Tomato to have better QoS control as suggested by other posts. Following the instructions from #2 post, did 30/30/30 reset and went to the CFE menu and tried to upload the DD-WRT mini file. Can't never pass this step, no message from router (receiving the file or rebooting). Wait more than 10 minutes, still can't get to 192.168.1.1. I changed the IP address as in the instructions.

Anybody having similar issue to upload the mini file, or get get stuck in the first flash? I tried seveal times with no luck, now still use the original firmware. T.I.A.

Joecd66 said:   I got this router to replace an old 11g router. I put my OOMA phone system after the router and use Wifi for laptops, initially work fine, but everytime i use the phone (OOMA), the WiFi connection will drop. (Same thing if put router after OOMA.) So i tried to flash to Tomato to have better QoS control as suggested by other posts. Following the instructions from #2 post, did 30/30/30 reset and went to the CFE menu and tried to upload the DD-WRT mini file. Can't never pass this step, no message from router (receiving the file or rebooting). Wait more than 10 minutes, still can't get to 192.168.1.1. I changed the IP address as in the instructions.

Anybody having similar issue to upload the mini file, or get get stuck in the first flash? I tried seveal times with no luck, now still use the original firmware. T.I.A.
If you can still boot into the Belkin or DD-WRT firmware, try resetting the firmware to default values. Then perform the steps to get to the CFE web page, or perform a 30-30-30 reset to access the CFE web page. Once on the CFE web page hit the clear/reset NVRAM link BEFORE uploading new firmware.

When you upload the DD-WRT mini firmware via the CFE page you should get something like the following message:
Receive file size=3502080
Upload completed. System will reboot. Please wait a few moments.

Continue
If you do not get a message similar to this, the firmware upload was not successful.

Other suggestions:
  • Some have had luck using IE only to upload firmware when using the CFE web page.
  • Clear your browser's Cache before performing any kind of firmware upgrade.
  • Disable your firewall before upgrading the firmware, its possible the firewall may prevent network access when changing IP addresses during the router upgrade from the Belkin firmware to DD-WRT or Tomato.
  • Never update the firmware via a wireless connection, never.
  • Disconnect all other wired computer and broadband modem from the router before upgrading the firmware. Also disconnect any USB devices that are connected to the router.
  • If your computer has multiple network connections (like two LAN ports, or LAN port and Wireless Port) disable all but the networking port wired to the router.
  • When uploading different firmware from within the DD-WRT or Tomato interface, enable the option to either reset the router to default values or clear/reset the NVRAM (if present).

Is it possible to use the USB Port to run a 3G USB Adapter? Think dat would be super awesome.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014