• 119 20 21222345
  • Page
  • Text Only
sunnybay said:   Followed the Tomato instructions and somehow after clicking the upload button getting page cannot be displayed. I disabled the firewall, aborted the anti-virus also and even cleared the Cache. Tried multiple browers many time but had no luck. Using Windows XP. Any help is appreciated

Are your trying to upload DD-WRT mini or Tomato? Is it from the CFE Web Browser?

Rookie555 said:   Got mine in the mail last week. Looks great...just doesn't power on. Contacted Expansys, and was told I need to pay return shipping AND a restocking fee applies...oh well was worth a shot.

call Belkin they will rma it. cost about $5 to send it back to them. They pay to ship a new one back to you.

jplee3 said:   Hey guys,

So I've been running DDWRT fine for the past several weeks and have tried attaching a hard drive and flash drive to the USB ports. I've tried following the tutorials/guides via the DDWRT pages on getting things connected but to no avail. Dmesg output shows that the drives are connected but I can't mount them and they don't show up as devices on the router USB admin pages. Is there another prerequisite here? I noticed, after running df, that the disk usage (8mb I believe) is at 100% as well. If I run `mount` I get no confirmation or warning that mounting the drives succeeded/failed. It almost seems like the necessary tools aren't installed (via Optware)? Anyone have any tips on what I might be missing here? I've tried enabling JFFS as well, but to no avail. Core USB support, USB Storage and specified mount point (/mnt) have all been specified as well.

I'm not at home right now and don't have access to the router so I can't get any more descriptive in terms of logs/messages/etc.


I had no problems, I just plugged it into my real computer, fdisk'd it and formatted as EXT3. Then plugged it in and DDWRT recognized it fine. My only issue is that it only seems to recognize one drive at a time... I didn't play with it much though, just something i noticed.

abzstrak said:   jplee3 said:   Hey guys,

So I've been running DDWRT fine for the past several weeks and have tried attaching a hard drive and flash drive to the USB ports. I've tried following the tutorials/guides via the DDWRT pages on getting things connected but to no avail. Dmesg output shows that the drives are connected but I can't mount them and they don't show up as devices on the router USB admin pages. Is there another prerequisite here? I noticed, after running df, that the disk usage (8mb I believe) is at 100% as well. If I run `mount` I get no confirmation or warning that mounting the drives succeeded/failed. It almost seems like the necessary tools aren't installed (via Optware)? Anyone have any tips on what I might be missing here? I've tried enabling JFFS as well, but to no avail. Core USB support, USB Storage and specified mount point (/mnt) have all been specified as well.

I'm not at home right now and don't have access to the router so I can't get any more descriptive in terms of logs/messages/etc.


I had no problems, I just plugged it into my real computer, fdisk'd it and formatted as EXT3. Then plugged it in and DDWRT recognized it fine. My only issue is that it only seems to recognize one drive at a time... I didn't play with it much though, just something i noticed.


I think it takes a little while before the disk shows up on the router pages. At least, it seems this is the case for me. I had to reboot my router (I just unplugged/plugged the power) in order for Samba to start up and recognize/mount the drives. Maybe EXT3 mounts faster or something. I have two drives plugged in at the same time (both FAT32) and both are recognized. At first, the flash drive didn't show up after I plugged it in (and the device info page on the router doesn't seem to show it) but it definitely shows up as an available path to mount under the NAS tab. It took a while before it populated as well... I'll have to figure out how long that window is next time I swap out drives or what not. I'm really liking the USB support though. I have two printers with NICs already, so it frees up both the USB ports

Yours look great. Not sure what the problem with mine is.

Can you pose the USB solutions you've been PMing to a few folks (or just PM me)? I got it working a while back, but want to try again.

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   Don't know what your having the results your having, but mine seem pretty decent..

Results to a Wireless N Notebook from the Belkin running Tomato..

Pinging 192.168.0.199 with 64 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=2ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.199: bytes=64 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping Statistics to my Wireless G Android Phone with Belkin running Tomato:

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.196:
Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 20, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 4ms, Maximum = 106ms, Average = 55ms

Ping Statistics to my Wireless G Android Phone with Belkin running DD-WRT:

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.196:
Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 20, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 106ms, Average = 60ms

The location of the Notebook and phone are both the same during the tests..

DD-WRT USB NAS INSTRUCTIONS

***ON MEGA BUILDS, WITHOUT THE OPTWARE PACKAGE INSTALLED ALONG WITH THE NTFS DRIVER, NTFS FORMATTED DRIVES WILL NOT WORK! USE BIG BUILDS FOR NTFS SUPPORT OTHERWISE USE FAT32 OR EXT2/3 DRIVES -- SEE MEMBER SUMMARY ON FIRST PAGE FOR LINKS***

Under Services --> USB

Core USB Support -- Enable
USB Printer Support -- Disable (Keep DISABLED if you are using TWO drives!)
USB Storage Support -- Enable
Automatic Drive Mount -- Enable

Disk Mount Point -- /mnt

Save Settings

Under Services --> NAS

Samba -- Enable
Use Custom Configuration -- Disable
Server String -- <path to your main router, ie 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1>
Workgroup -- workgroup

Add Shares
Path -- /tmp/mnt/disc0 (Second drive should mount to /tmp/mnt/disc1)
Name -- <whatever you want to name it>
Public -- Check the box yes
Access -- Read/Write

Save Settings then Apply Settings and Reboot Router

Now go into Network and wait for it to finish scanning.. Your router will show up with whatever name you gave it, default is DD-WRT.. Click on that and it will show the name you gave your share. Click on that also and it should now be inside your USB Storage Device..

EDIT: Thanks WizardKing for pointing out BIG Build has NTFS support!

I have a similar issue source of recent wireless problems with my Belkin Share Max N300 running with the latest Tomato firmware.Basically, my router's wireless components are failing while making voip phone calls.
I suspected the source of the problem is related to set AUTO channel.
After reading some suggestions in the threads over at the official Linksys forums, I made the following changes to my router settings and so far the wireless connections have been stable.
Switched wireless to channel 11-2.462 GHz.
Initially, I flashed DD-WRT on the router and seen several issues with USB,NAS & QoS settings. With Tomato, I see excellent performance and seems to be more stable for me.

Got mine today. And flushed to Tomato. The first time reset was not successful, and it came up with regular menu. However, I had no idea how the special "CFE menu" looked like. Did more Googling, then I realized I skipped ...5) Plug the power back in and wait for another 30 secs...during the reset. All is well after that.

I don't think I've seen this described here, but this is what I am trying to do (and I had to hard reset the router once because I didn't do it right). I want to have the N300 in my office, where the cablemodem, USB printer, and USB HD are. What I want to do is have the N300 in the office, connected to the USB devices and cablemodem, and my WRT54G out in the living room, as an access point. I don't plan on using Tomato / DD-WRT. Is this a recommended configuration?

Thanks I purchased 2 here in IL to upgrade my aged Linksys routers

Great! Thanks!

I installed DDWRT mega version. "dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin" and its working well.

Can I go to tomato version now ?

Sorry, I have had Belkin routers and am not a fan.

JacquesTutite said:   Sorry, I have had Belkin routers and am not a fan.

You don't need to apologize.

Pilhue said:   I installed DDWRT mega version. "dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin" and its working well.

Can I go to tomato version now ?


Yes.. Choose "After flashing, reset to Default Settings" and then choose the Tomato firmware.. Although I would reset to factory settings before doing this just to be safe.. Tomato is very finicky with these routers and countless people have run into problems when flashing to it.. My advice is, if you don't need it, stick with DD-WRT..

feuertier said:   I don't think I've seen this described here, but this is what I am trying to do (and I had to hard reset the router once because I didn't do it right). I want to have the N300 in my office, where the cablemodem, USB printer, and USB HD are. What I want to do is have the N300 in the office, connected to the USB devices and cablemodem,

So the Belkin should be your primary router in this case.. Have it assigned the IP of 192.168.1.1 and leave it the way it is..

and my WRT54G out in the living room, as an access point. I don't plan on using Tomato / DD-WRT. Is this a recommended configuration?

This is your secondary router so assign it the IP address of 192.168.1.2 and turn off DHCP since the Belkin will be handling the DHCP.. If your running an ethernet cable to it, it should work fine as an access point.. If your going to use it as a repeater, you will need to have DD-WRT installed on it and set up for repeater bridge..

how should be the settings, if I want to use the belkin as repeater?
Also installed the tomate, but after I change it to dhcp and save it, would not show the lan anymore and shows that dhcp in off, I flashed mini to tomate straight. Now I flashed it to the mega dd-wrt.
thanks for any help

pete777 said:   how should be the settings, if I want to use the belkin as repeater?
Also installed the tomate, but after I change it to dhcp and save it, would not show the lan anymore and shows that dhcp in off, I flashed mini to tomate straight. Now I flashed it to the mega dd-wrt.
thanks for any help


Repeater Bridge

Sorry DD-WRT and yes it is happening CFE browser

sunnybay said:   Sorry DD-WRT and yes it is happening CFE browser

Try changing your browser to Chrome.. Change the file name to something shorter.. I also had a hard time getting it to finally start loading.. just keep trying..

thanks

does anybody has the problem with the dhcp on the tomate?

What problems are you having with DHCP under Tomato?

Initally DHCP is disabled when TomatoUSB is flashed to the router. Once enabled it appears to work fine on my Belkin F7D7301 router. Currently running tomato-K26USB-1.28.7498.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext. Keep in mind that if the default Router IP Address (192.168.1.1) within Tomato is changed, the TomatoUSB DHCP Server IP Address Range will need to be updated accordingly.

after I flashed to tomato,abled the dchp, save it. Them the option for the lan disapear and the dchp showed unable . I trie in 2 router, the same result. I flashed from mini to the tomato
thanks

tangoalpha said:   jplee3 said:   tangoalpha said:   tangoalpha said:   


Is 192.168.1.200 the IP you assigned the router or something? If not, you should only need to ssh to 192.168.1.1

How are you sshing to it btw? If you're running Windows, just go download Putty (google it). Also, did you make sure SSH and JFFS are enabled in the GUI settings? I think Barmullio got the right location for where these are at


When I ssh to router, and type in iptables-save the response is: -sh: iptables-save: not found


FWIW, I FINALLY got it to work.

I performed a 30/30/30 to reset.

Then installed 15396 mini then 15396 mega.

Then ran through the WAP instructions here.

Then followed the Multiple BSSIDs here, except used the firewall iptables found on page three here instead of the ones on the interactive tutorial.

If anyone is interested in a step by step, I'm sure I could find the time to post it.

Thanks to all, especially OP for this great find!


Awesome! BTW: there are multiple suggestions for the iptables settings on p.3 of the link you provided. Which one did you end up using? Feel free to post it up!


The iptable commands I used from page three of that link instead of the interactive tutorial commands were:

iptables -I FORWARD -i br1 -d `nvram get wan_ipaddr`/`nvram get wan_netmask` -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i br1 -d `nvram get lan_ipaddr`/`nvram get lan_netmask` -m state --state NEW -j DROP
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o br0 -j SNAT --to `nvram get lan_ipaddr`
iptables -I INPUT -i br1 -m state --state NEW -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -i br1 -p udp --dport 67 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -i br1 -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -i br1 -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

I'm running through a wipe with clean install to verify all of my necessary settings.

With the above iptable rules you can connect to both wireless BSSID's and the Guest can't access anything on the local LAN (can only get to the internet). Did you try the USB/NAS wherewithal with version 15396?? I tried multiple BSSID's with DDWRT version 18946 and could never get the Guest side to serve up an IP address; however, it did work fine on the main BSSID.

Bought a second one for the parents, thanks OP! Can't believe this deal is still live..loving the support in this thread too

For those that were interested in installing external antennas.Here are pictures of the teardown.

Antenna connections are soldered to the board so if you want to proceed you know what your in for.

Toddler said:   lazybummm said:   if it was that easy to flash dd-wrt, I think the same process with a copy of the firmware should work, but don't take my word for it. I broke down and ordered one. Need a gigabit switch, I might as well get a router for free.
That's what I figured as well. I ordered the second one to be used as a gigabit switch and additional access point to extend my WiFi network with roaming access.


I got two of these to extend my wireless network in my place since something blocks the signal between two rooms, can you guide me to someplace that can help me set up two of them? Should they both have the same SSID or anything like that?

Thanks. That worked. Anyone tried to use two USB drives on the two USB ports? I can't figure out how to set it up. I tried on the Services>NAS page adding a second path to "Disc0_Part1" -- the only other option except "/Dev" (which gave me the router's file structure -- and no go. Anyone tried this?

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   DD-WRT USB NAS INSTRUCTIONS

***WITHOUT THE OPTWARE PACKAGE INSTALLED WITH THE NTFS DRIVER, NTFS FORMATTED DRIVES WILL NOT WORK***

NOTE: I USED A FAT32 FORMATTED DRIVE.

Under Services --> USB

Core USB Support -- Enable
USB Printer Support -- Disable
USB Storage Support -- Enable
Automatic Drive Mount -- Enable

Disk Mount Point -- /mnt

Save Settings

Under Services --> NAS

Samba -- Enable
Use Custom Configuration -- Disable
Server String -- <path to your main router, ie 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1>
Workgroup -- workgroup

Add Shares
Path -- /tmp/mnt/disc0
Name -- <whatever you want to name it>
Public -- Check the box yes
Access -- Read/Write

Save Settings then Apply Settings and Reboot Router

Now go into Network and wait for it to finish scanning.. Your router will show up with whatever name you gave it, default is DD-WRT.. Click on that and it will show the name you gave your share. Click on that also and it should now be inside your USB Storage Device..

mbwd said:   Thanks. That worked. Anyone tried to use two USB drives on the two USB ports? I can't figure out how to set it up. I tried on the Services>NAS page adding a second path to "Disc0_Part1" -- the only other option except "/Dev" (which gave me the router's file structure -- and no go. Anyone tried this?

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   DD-WRT USB NAS INSTRUCTIONS

***WITHOUT THE OPTWARE PACKAGE INSTALLED WITH THE NTFS DRIVER, NTFS FORMATTED DRIVES WILL NOT WORK***

NOTE: I USED A FAT32 FORMATTED DRIVE.

Under Services --> USB

Core USB Support -- Enable
USB Printer Support -- Disable
USB Storage Support -- Enable
Automatic Drive Mount -- Enable

Disk Mount Point -- /mnt

Save Settings

Under Services --> NAS

Samba -- Enable
Use Custom Configuration -- Disable
Server String -- <path to your main router, ie 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1>
Workgroup -- workgroup

Add Shares
Path -- /tmp/mnt/disc0
Name -- <whatever you want to name it>
Public -- Check the box yes
Access -- Read/Write

Save Settings then Apply Settings and Reboot Router

Now go into Network and wait for it to finish scanning.. Your router will show up with whatever name you gave it, default is DD-WRT.. Click on that and it will show the name you gave your share. Click on that also and it should now be inside your USB Storage Device..



Is your second drive formatted in NTFS? Make sure it's formatted in FAT32 or EXT3. That might be why it's not showing up. Else, try rebooting the router after plugging in the second unit (or just give it a few more minutes to show if you just plugged it in)

Eight HUNDREDTH.

I just ordered a second one.

Sabre103 said:   For those that were interested in installing external antennas.Here are pictures of the teardown.

Antenna connections are soldered to the board so if you want to proceed you know what your in for.

No need to mess with the board connections, just snip those long black wires away from the existing antennas and it should be easy going.

I followed post two verbatim to get Tomato running. Configuration included a FAT32 USB 2 drive file share. Configuration also included two D-link DCS920s dumping video via Wifi G to that USB 2 drive file share. After the first night of receiving video the router was non-responsive in the morning. I could access the control panel and other computers in my home network, but not the cameras and not the USB fileshare. The router acknowledged the two cameras existed on the network by listing the MAC addresses, but they were unreachable via pinging, browser, etc. After 30x3 resets and still no joy I fired up my old WRT54G with the same settings and the cameras were accessible and feeding video; then I shut down the WRT54G and put it away. I nuked the Belkin router with DD-wrt mini again and then Tomato and repeated the setup leaving out the file share. The second night of video left it non-responsive again. So now I am falling back to DD-wrt mega to see if it can stand the abuse of some streaming 640x480 video on Wifi G. Any thoughts? and keep you posted.

presbuteros, Tomato has a logging feature, Status --> Logs. Perhaps reviewing the log will show why the two cameras became unreachable. DD-WRT also has a logging feature.

Great, now everything taking wifi n is on it. Except that the printer is only g. Any suggestions?

1. Hook it up to USB from repeater bridge- need to reconfigure printer, but it would be in the same network
2. Hook up the old g router to the repeater bridge (only necessary if internet connection is needed) and create a "legacy" g wifi for older tech. Would mean switching from one network to another for printing purposes. So far it works, only that for some reason it won't connect to internet (again, not needed)

Any other ideas?

sunnybay said:   Followed the Tomato instructions and somehow after clicking the upload button getting page cannot be displayed. I disabled the firewall, aborted the anti-virus also and even cleared the Cache. Tried multiple browers many time but had no luck. Using Windows XP. Any help is appreciated

I would suggest your turn off Windows firewall (if ON) and EXIT your internet security software (Notron, McAfee, or Kasp ...). Don't just pause or suspend the protection. Some modules of security software may be still running in background. Here is my experience. My router was stuck at the Upload process without any message and I spent quite some time trying to figure out what's wrong. I SUSPENDED the protection from my Kasp security software without luck. Finally after closing Kasp software (totally exit it), I was able to flash my router withot any issue. Hope this will help you. Good luck.

Joecd66 said:   sunnybay said:   Followed the Tomato instructions and somehow after clicking the upload button getting page cannot be displayed. I disabled the firewall, aborted the anti-virus also and even cleared the Cache. Tried multiple browers many time but had no luck. Using Windows XP. Any help is appreciatedI would suggest your turn off Windows firewall (if ON) and EXIT your internet security software (Notron, McAfee, or Kasp ...). Don't just pause or suspend the protection. Some modules of security software may be still running in background. Here is my experience. My router was stuck at the Upload process without any message and I spent quite some time trying to figure out what's wrong. I SUSPENDED the protection from my Kasp security software without luck. Finally after closing Kasp software (totally exit it), I was able to flash my router withot any issue. Hope this will help you. Good luck.I was also unable to get the CFE updater to load DD-WRT nini. Clicking UPLOAD either did nothing or went to Page Cannot Be Displayed. I finally loaded DD-WRT mini through the stock Belkin firmware update facility and everything worked fine. It's not clear to me why one should be using the CFE updater.

The reason we use CFE to flash is because that was the method that was recommended to upload DD-WRT and Tomato.. CFE is a built in TFTP utility which allows us to safely upload firmware without stock firmware running..

For those with problems getting CFE to flash the firmware, TFTP does the same thing..

I'm assuming that the MINI build of DD-WRT preps our routers for the MEGA builds or Tomato..

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   The reason we use CFE to flash is because that was the method that was recommended to upload DD-WRT and Tomato.. CFE is a built in TFTP utility which allows us to safely upload firmware without stock firmware running..

For those with problems getting CFE to flash the firmware, TFTP does the same thing..

I'm assuming that the MINI build of DD-WRT preps our routers for the MEGA builds or Tomato..
I understand the reason for loading DD-WRT mini first, but it appears to be unnecessary to use the the CFE to load it. DD-WRT mini loads just fine using the stock Belkin firmware without getting into the CFE. Then Tomato loads just fine from DD-WRT mini.

RonR said:   I was also unable to get the CFE updater to load DD-WRT nini. Clicking UPLOAD either did nothing or went to Page Cannot Be Displayed. I finally loaded DD-WRT mini through the stock Belkin firmware update facility and everything worked fine. It's not clear to me why one should be using the CFE updater.
I saw the same thing with my first CFE upload until I switched to InPrivate browsing with IE9. A reboot probably would have also worked in my case.

RonR said:   Hypnosis4u2nv said:   The reason we use CFE to flash is because that was the method that was recommended to upload DD-WRT and Tomato.. CFE is a built in TFTP utility which allows us to safely upload firmware without stock firmware running..

For those with problems getting CFE to flash the firmware, TFTP does the same thing..

I'm assuming that the MINI build of DD-WRT preps our routers for the MEGA builds or Tomato..
I understand the reason for loading DD-WRT mini first, but it appears to be unnecessary to use the the CFE to load it. DD-WRT mini loads just fine using the stock Belkin firmware without getting into the CFE. Then Tomato loads just fine from DD-WRT mini.

That same process has bricked a few routers, too. The guys who created these custom firmwares are the authoritative experts, and they always recommend using TFTP (or CFE in the case of Belkin) for the initial flash. Just because you were able to do it your way doesn't mean it's the best way.

OTOH it's good to have some guys out there who are willing to take some risks, good things can come out of it too.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014