• 131 32 33343545
  • Page
  • Text Only
pianoCM said:   I have a few questions and definitely need some help here, TIA.
Basically, flashing was easy enough and I got the DD-WRT megabuild running.
Problem is after flashing, I cannot get the WAN port to work.
My internet as followed: Comcast HSI -> Comcast provided Motorola SBV5220 Cable modem -> This router with DD-WRT -> PCs & laptop.
If I plug cable directly from the modem to the PC, I can access internet fine and it's fast.
If I use PC behind the router, I cannot get into the net.
Wireless connections are OK, all LAN ports (to PCs) are OK, just the WAN, cannot get IP address, cannot get the DNS server.
I rebooted PC, this router, and the cable modem a couple of times already. No go.

What else should I do under DD-WRT menu to get this to work? TIA.
I don't believe Comcast need to know every time I change the router though 'cuz with the Belkin stock firmware, I was able to get into the internet fine.

Although I am unfamiliar with Comcast, I can only suggest the following:

Make sure in DD-WRT under Setup-->Basic Setup you have the following set:

Wan Connection Type ---> Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Assign Wan Port to Switch ---> Disabled
Make sure that your Router's Local IP and the PC's Local IP are on the same path (ie. 192.168.1.x, x being the only number different on both devices)

Another question, anytime I plug the cable in the PC (running behind this router), the Network Name always shows as "Belkin.4196" which was the original setup before flashing. How do I change that name?

Wireless--->Basic Settings
Wireless Network Name (SSID) ---> (change it)

network name
Disclaimer

network name
Disclaimer
Thanks, Hypo.
Yes, all those functions were checked, I made sure of those.

About the Network name, I meant the name that the PC connects to the router via Ethernet, not wireless SSID. I'll post the image later so people know what I'm talking about.

Update: I'll try to flash back to Belkin stock from DD-WRT Firmware Upgrade page and failed. Hmmm

pianoCM said:   Thanks, Hypo.
Yes, all those functions were checked, I made sure of those.

About the Network name, I meant the name that the PC connects to the router via Ethernet, not wireless SSID. I'll post the image later so people know what I'm talking about.

Update: I'll try to flash back to Belkin stock from DD-WRT Firmware Upgrade page and failed. Hmmm

Basic---> Basic Settings---> Router Name

Router name is username for login.
See my images just posted above.
I don't know why the name "Belkin.4196" got stuck even though this router has the DD-WRT firmware running AND I did change the Router Name.

I just reloaded the older version of DD-WRT and still got the same behavior.

I'll take another shot at the Tomato firmware, if no go, I then have to go back to the Belkin stock and HOPE.

Thanks all

Hi again ,I have found on this site resolution http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=137906&highlight=f7...
I did that step by step and I 'm very happy now because it s working for me perfect
Thank you

skiboom said:   Hi again ,I have found on this site resolution http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=137906&highlight=f7...
I did that step by step and I 'm very happy now because it s working for me perfect
Thank you

Skiboom, as previously mentioned, the first page of this thread in the Member Summary there are directions for flashing this router and other information and links relevent to this router.

For those who are new to this router and want to flash it please read the Member Summary on the first page before posting. The Member Summary has been constantly updated to provide additional information to those who are new to this router. Many solutions to the questions that are repeatedly asked and answered are posted to the Member Summary.

pianoCM said:   I have a few questions and definitely need some help here, TIA.
My internet as followed: Comcast HSI -> Comcast provided Motorola SBV5220 Cable modem -> This router with DD-WRT -> PCs & laptop.
If I plug cable directly from the modem to the PC, I can access internet fine and it's fast.
Wireless connections are OK, all LAN ports (to PCs) are OK, just the WAN, cannot get IP address, cannot get the DNS server.
I rebooted PC, this router, and the cable modem a couple of times already. No go.

I don't believe Comcast need to know every time I change the router though 'cuz with the Belkin stock firmware, I was able to get into the internet fine.

Another question, anytime I plug the cable in the PC (running behind this router), the Network Name always shows as "Belkin.4196" which was the original setup before flashing. How do I change that name?

Another suggestion. For some users on cable broadband (Comcast/Cablevision) they will need to enable "Clone MAC Address" or "MAC Address Clone" in the router.

When you clone the MAC address it should use the MAC address from your PC and assign it to the router. This sometimes needs to be done when cable broadband providers use the MAC address as an authentication measure. The Belkin firmware, DD-WRT and TomatoUSB firmware all have an option to perform a MAC Address Clone.

This is related to the problem I had with mounting CIFS1.
The logs were showing:
Jun 19 14:48:15 belkin-n300-router user.info mount-cifs[7071]: notice[cifs]: Mounting...
Jun 19 14:48:15 belkin-n300-router user.err kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -12
Jun 19 14:48:16 belkin-n300-router user.err kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -12

After quite a bit of fiddling around, I found the solution to my problem with mounting CIFS1.
The problem I had was because my router was identified as:
'belkin-n300-router' in Basic/Identification/Router Identification/Hostname.
Apparently Netbios only accepts up to 15 characters so it was truncating the Netbios name.
I changed to 'belkin-n300-rt' and things worked as they were supposed to....

I am sharing my findings hoping to help somebody else save a few hours of investigating.

Hi,
I was successfully able to load Tomato and DD-WRT on the router a few days ago and just now got to actually hooking it up to the network to install it. However, I'm unable to logon. Login & pswd of "admin" aren't working - I tried multiple times. What are my options? Do I have to go through the whole process again or can I just reinstall DD-WRT?

shahab said:   Hi,
I was successfully able to load Tomato ., However, I'm unable to logo.?

Send it to CFE, clean all old settings.

belkin login
Disclaimer
Hi,
Could you please explain in a little more detail? How do I send it to CFE?

fastness said:   shahab said:   Hi,
I was successfully able to load Tomato ., However, I'm unable to logo.?

Send it to CFE, clean all old settings.

shahab said:   Hi,
I was successfully able to load Tomato and DD-WRT on the router a few days ago and just now got to actually hooking it up to the network to install it. However, I'm unable to logon. Login & pswd of "admin" aren't working - I tried multiple times. What are my options? Do I have to go through the whole process again or can I just reinstall DD-WRT?

Tomato uses username/password of root/admin..

If you went from DD-WRT to Tomato, try holding the reset button for 30 seconds to reset the firmware.. If that doesn't work, 30/30/30 reset back into the CFE menu and reset the NVRAM..

pianoCM said:   About the Network name, I meant the name that the PC connects to the router via Ethernet, not wireless SSID. I'll post the image later so people know what I'm talking about.
pianoCM said:   I don't know why the name "Belkin.4196" got stuck even though this router has the DD-WRT firmware running AND I did change the Router Name.

That's an issue in Windows, because Windows has already associated the router (probably its MAC address) with that name. Instead of telling you how to fix it, I'll point you to some blog post I found via Google:
How to remove network names in Windows 7.
You probably don't need to remove the network name if you just want to rename it.

bennor said:   pianoCM said:   I have a few questions and definitely need some help here, TIA.

Another suggestion. For some users on cable broadband (Comcast/Cablevision) they will need to enable "Clone MAC Address" or "MAC Address Clone" in the router.

When you clone the MAC address it should use the MAC address from your PC and assign it to the router. This sometimes needs to be done when cable broadband providers use the MAC address as an authentication measure. The Belkin firmware, DD-WRT and TomatoUSB firmware all have an option to perform a MAC Address Clone.

Thanks bennor, I did that also. No go
In fact, I think I just bricked it. Completely junk now. I'm glad I only spent $22 bucks for this. Time to buy another router.

My case, after failing everything, I decided to flash Tomato from DD-WRT panel.
There was 2 things that I believe that I screw up.
a. It asked for the username/password to login to complete the process (of flashing Tomato). I used the info that I created for DD-WRT. It wouldn't take that and never login. I didn't remember at any point that it asked me to create one (for Tomato). I just closed it.
b. I forgot to change the PC to static IP, so obviously, I can't see the Tomato control panel. I did afterward but too late, I guess.
Since then, it totally bricked. The light in the front of this router, sometime went on sometime not. And the worst was I cannot even get into the CFE page (as I intended to revert back to Belkin stock using the "LONG WAY" since the short way had failed). I couldn't ping to the router.

I can't believe this piece of hardware and firmware have given me such a headache. I've been dealing with so many home routers from Linksys, Dlink, Cisco, Trendnet, Netgear, and this is my first Belkin and I have to say "it beats me pretty bad"

ct99 said:   pianoCM said:   About the Network name, I meant the name that the PC connects to the router via Ethernet, not wireless SSID. I'll post the image later so people know what I'm talking about.
pianoCM said:   I don't know why the name "Belkin.4196" got stuck even though this router has the DD-WRT firmware running AND I did change the Router Name.

That's an issue in Windows, because Windows has already associated the router (probably its MAC address) with that name. Instead of telling you how to fix it, I'll point you to some blog post I found via Google:
How to remove network names in Windows 7.
You probably don't need to remove the network name if you just want to rename it.

Thanks a lot, ct99.
I surely will look into that and hope learning something new.

pianoCM said:   bennor said:   pianoCM said:   I have a few questions and definitely need some help here, TIA.

Thanks bennor, I did that also. No go
In fact, I think I just bricked it. Completely junk now. I'm glad I only spent $22 bucks for this. Time to buy another router.

My case, after failing everything, I decided to flash Tomato from DD-WRT panel.
There was 2 things that I believe that I screw up.
a. It asked for the username/password to login to complete the process (of flashing Tomato). I used the info that I created for DD-WRT. It wouldn't take that and never login. I didn't remember at any point that it asked me to create one (for Tomato). I just closed it.
b. I forgot to change the PC to static IP, so obviously, I can't see the Tomato control panel. I did afterward but too late, I guess.
Since then, it totally bricked. The light in the front of this router, sometime went on sometime not. And the worst was I cannot even get into the CFE page (as I intended to revert back to Belkin stock using the "LONG WAY" since the short way had failed). I couldn't ping to the router.

I can't believe this piece of hardware and firmware have given me such a headache. I've been dealing with so many home routers from Linksys, Dlink, Cisco, Trendnet, Netgear, and this is my first Belkin and I have to say "it beats me pretty bad"

Short of flashing the wrong firmware or interrupting a flash in progress, it's pretty hard to brick this router.. Sounds like it just needs to be reset..

I don't believe I got wrong firmware since everything I downloaded from the first page.
Interrupt? yes, maybe, I just read a post by "bennor" on other thread mentioned username: root, password: admin.
Too late. I should have read/researched more.

I'm done with it, tonite. Need to take a break
I might give it another shot tomorrow nite and if it gets any better b4 throw it away.

Thanks Hypo

nvm, nothing to see here...

Even if you heavily compress the video (ruining the point of 1080p), enable afterburner, and allow only one computer to be streaming at once, it might still drop or stutter. A solid 802.11g connection offers about 15-25Mbps.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to this topic. I bought one about 3 weeks ago because I wanted the USB file sharing feature. I tried it with the stock firmware but it wouldn't go 24 hrs without crashing so I definently would not recommend this router in stock mode. Tried dd-wrt which worked well but I couldn't figure out how to setup the file sharing. Then tried Tomato and after sometime got the file sharing working. Seems to be rock solid. I also set it up to login to the router with my iPhone and wake up my computers "wol" and then use logmein to login to my home computers if I need to check a camera or do something I can't on my phone alone.

pianoCM, like Hypnosis4u2nv stated, its generally very difficult to actually truly "brick" this router. Flashing this router is actually a pretty simple process so long as the steps to flash are followed. Generally when people have trouble flashing its because they either didn't follow the general flashing steps in the Memory Summary on the first page of this thread. Didn't wait the suggested time after flashing the firmware. Or they forgot to change their computer's static IP from 192.168.2.8 to 192.168.1.8 when flashing from the stock Belkin firmware to DD-WRT mini.

TomatoUSB does not ask the user to change the password, only DD-WRT does that upon first access after flashing. If you have forgotten the login information, performing a soft reset - pressing in the Reset button for at least 30 seconds, or a hard 30-30-30 reset should reset the router's firmware, including the login information, back to it's default settings. Generally the default login for TomatoUSB and DD-WRT firmware is "root", "admin" (without quotes).

Generally the CFE page is always accessible if one configures their computer with the static IP address of 192.168.1.8 (or 192.168.2.8 if the stock Belkin firmware is loaded to the router) and then remove the power to the router. Press in and hold in the Reset button on the back of the router. Then while still holding in the Reset button reapply power to the router and wait 30 seconds, then release the Reset button. During this time the status/indicator light on the router will not be lit. Then attempt to access the CFE page via a web browser (Internet Explorer is the recommended browser) at http://192.1.68.1.1, or if flashing from the stock Belkin firmware http://192.168.2.1.

Couple of comments/suggestions on flashing this router....
  • Disable any Anti Virus or Internet Security software before flashing. Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 may prevented the CFE page or the Belkin/DD-WRT/TomatoUSB firmware update page from completing the upload/flashing of firmware.
  • Ensure Javascript is enabled, and any security restrictions disabled in your browser.
  • Never, EVER, flash this or any router over a wireless connection, always use a wired connection.
  • Clear your browser's Cache before flashing. Its important to delete the "temporary internet files" when deleting the browser's Cache.
  • If your computer has multiple network adapters, disable all but the one that is wired to the router.
  • Disconnect all other connected devices to the router including the broadband modem. This includes any connected USB devices.
  • Always configure your computer with a Static IP Address when flashing. Be sure to put the router's IP address in the Gateway field for the static IP address. The router should be reached at either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 after being flashed.
  • Try an alternate browser if your current one cannot upload the firmware file from the CFE web page.
  • Always do a hard 30-30-30 reset BEFORE flashing the router. Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, while still holding in the reset button remove power to the router for 30 seconds, while still holding in the reset button, reapply the power to the router and wait 30 more seconds.
  • On the CFE page, select the option to reset or clear the NVRAM before flashing the router.
  • If flashing or updating firmware from within DD-WRT/TomatoUSB or the Belkin firmware, it sometimes helps to enable the option to reset the firmware to default values or reset the NVRAM. This will cause the loss of any user configured settings and reset the router to default firmware settings. After the reset you will need to reconfigure the router as needed.
  • After the router firmware has been updated, power cycle the router.
  • Make sure your using the correct, recommended, firmware mention in this thread for this router, using incorrect firmware could brick this or any other router.
  • Another way to reach the CFE page is to remove power from the router and press and hold the reset button, then reapply power and wait 30 seconds while continuing to hold in the reset button.
  • Don't be surprised if the router's indicator light is not lit when on the CFE page or when flashing from the CFE page to DD-WRT Mini.
  • If the router indicator light is orange (or any color other than green) after flashing, power cycle the router, and the router indicator light should return to green after a minute or two.
  • If flashing to TomatoUSB, the DHCP server is disabled by default. Users will need to keep/set their computer to a static IP of 192.168.1.8, log into TomatoUSB, navigate to Basic -> Network, then enable DHCP Server, hit the Save button to save the settings. Once the DHCP server is enabled you can change the computer's static IP back to "obtain IP address automatically".

bestdealever2012 said:   Just wanted to add my 2 cents to this topic. I bought one about 3 weeks ago because I wanted the USB file sharing feature. I tried it with the stock firmware but it wouldn't go 24 hrs without crashing so I definently would not recommend this router in stock mode. Tried dd-wrt which worked well but I couldn't figure out how to setup the file sharing. Then tried Tomato and after sometime got the file sharing working. Seems to be rock solid. I also set it up to login to the router with my iPhone and wake up my computers "wol" and then use logmein to login to my home computers if I need to check a camera or do something I can't on my phone alone.
Some who have reported problems with the stock Belkin firmware (1.00.06) report that the issues went away after updating to the latest F7D7301 firmware - Version 1.00.08 (Dec 24 2010): http://networking.belkin.com/update/files/F7D7301/v1/WW/F7D7301_WW_1.00.08.bin.

Note: Do not download the latest firmware from the Belkin F7D7301 firmware web page. Belkin has loaded incorrect firmware to this page and it will fail to upload to the router when flashing.

bennor said:   bestdealever2012 said:   Just wanted to add my 2 cents to this topic. I bought one about 3 weeks ago because I wanted the USB file sharing feature. I tried it with the stock firmware but it wouldn't go 24 hrs without crashing so I definently would not recommend this router in stock mode. Tried dd-wrt which worked well but I couldn't figure out how to setup the file sharing. Then tried Tomato and after sometime got the file sharing working. Seems to be rock solid. I also set it up to login to the router with my iPhone and wake up my computers "wol" and then use logmein to login to my home computers if I need to check a camera or do something I can't on my phone alone.
Some who have reported problems with the stock Belkin firmware (1.00.06) report that the issues went away after updating to the latest F7D7301 firmware - Version 1.00.08 (Dec 24 2010): http://networking.belkin.com/update/files/F7D7301/v1/WW/F7D7301_WW_1.00.08.bin.

Note: Do not download the latest firmware from the Belkin F7D7301 firmware web page. Belkin has loaded incorrect firmware to this page and it will fail to upload to the router when flashing.

bennor said:   pianoCM, like Hypnosis4u2nv stated, its generally very difficult to actually truly "brick" this router. Flashing this router is actually a pretty simple process so long as the steps to flash are followed. Generally when people have trouble flashing its because they either didn't follow the general flashing steps in the Memory Summary on the first page of this thread. Didn't wait the suggested time after flashing the firmware. Or they forgot to change their computer's static IP from 192.168.2.8 to 192.168.1.8 when flashing from the stock Belkin firmware to DD-WRT mini.

TomatoUSB does not ask the user to change the password, only DD-WRT does that upon first access after flashing. If you have forgotten the login information, performing a soft reset - pressing in the Reset button for at least 30 seconds, or a hard 30-30-30 reset should reset the router's firmware, including the login information, back to it's default settings. Generally the default login for TomatoUSB and DD-WRT firmware is "root", "admin" (without quotes).

Generally the CFE page is always accessible if one configures their computer with the static IP address of 192.168.1.8 (or 192.168.2.8 if the stock Belkin firmware is loaded to the router) and then remove the power to the router. Press in and hold in the Reset button on the back of the router. Then while still holding in the Reset button reapply power to the router and wait 30 seconds, then release the Reset button. During this time the status/indicator light on the router will not be lit. Then attempt to access the CFE page via a web browser (Internet Explorer is the recommended browser) at http://192.1.68.1.1, or if flashing from the stock Belkin firmware http://192.168.2.1.

Thanks a lot, bennor for taking time and respond to my post.
Unfortunately, until now, it's a no go.
All your suggestion had been performed, bro.
As I said before, flashing from Belkin to DD-WRT was easy. I did that. I did factory reset -> 30/30/30 to bring up CFE webpage -> flashed "mini" file -> change static IP -> ......
It was done correctly and I was able to play with DD-WRT control panel. The issue was I cannot get the WAN IP so no internet access. Since then, a hick-up has occured.

Right now, at this current state, I cannot get to the CFE page. I assume the current loaded firmware should be the Tomato, not DD-WRT since I already flashed the Tomato.
From there, no matter what I did (set static IP to 192.168.2.1 or .1.1), 30/30/30 reset, clear cookies, disable antivirus, power cycle the PC, ....) I just simply cannot get it.
In fact, I can't seem to connect the working PC to the router. I cannot ping 192.168.2.1 or (.1.1) with any successfully response. I believe in order to see the CFE page, the PC and the router must at least see each other. am I right? Now, they are not.

I shall use my laptop (of course I must disable the wireless first) to connect to the router and see if I have any better result.

pianoCM , don't know if you have tried it yet, but try resetting the Motorola SBV5220 via the pin hole reset button on the SBV5220 modem. Others are reporting having internet connection problems when they put a router behind that Motorola modem and that resetting the modem fixed the issue. Some links from others who had issues with the SBV5220...
http://www.amazon.com/Connecting-SBV5220-Linksys-Wireless-Router/forum/FxECDZE4DGKCS4/Tx2DOT9F0JAJ5U1/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000TKHW5M
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18469341-Connectivity-SBV5220-setup-with-a-linksys-WRT54GL

Edit to add: As to not being able to access the router. Does the router indicator light light up? If so what color: orange or green? When power cycling the router it could take upwards of 2 minutes for the router to boot. If you have another computer to test with use that one to connect to the router. Generally after flashing to Tomato or DD-WRT it will use the IP address 192.168.1.1, so as long as you set a static IP address on the computer to 192.168.1.8 (anything other than 192.168.1.1), you should be able to access administration page for DD-WRT/Tomato if the status indicator light is lit (either orange or green). If you haven't tried yet, set the gateway field in the static IP setup to 192.168.1.1.

BostonOne said:   Hypnosis4u2nv said:   Toddler said:   The thread that wouldn't die. I keep wanting to buy one more just for the heck of it!

LOL.. If it makes it to Christmas, I don't have to tell you what people are getting for stocking stuffers! LOL!

A third one showed up at my door and I only vaguely recalled ordering it. Lesson is - don't drink and read Fatwallet.

I have a corollary to that one...don't take Ambien and then eBay. I found that out the hard way.

bennor said:   pianoCM , don't know if you have tried it yet, but try resetting the Motorola SBV5220 via the pin hole reset button on the SBV5220 modem. Others are reporting having internet connection problems when they put a router behind that Motorola modem and that resetting the modem fixed the issue. Some links from others who had issues with the SBV5220...
http://www.amazon.com/Connecting-SBV5220-Linksys-Wireless-Router/forum/FxECDZE4DGKCS4/Tx2DOT9F0JAJ5U1/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000TKHW5M
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18469341-Connectivity-SBV5220-setup-with-a-linksys-WRT54GL

Edit to add: As to not being able to access the router. Does the router indicator light light up? If so what color: orange or green? When power cycling the router it could take upwards of 2 minutes for the router to boot. If you have another computer to test with use that one to connect to the router. Generally after flashing to Tomato or DD-WRT it will use the IP address 192.168.1.1, so as long as you set a static IP address on the computer to 192.168.1.8 (anything other than 192.168.1.1), you should be able to access administration page for DD-WRT/Tomato if the status indicator light is lit (either orange or green). If you haven't tried yet, set the gateway field in the static IP setup to 192.168.1.1.

As I mentioned in my previous post, yes, I did power cycle the cable modem, a couple times already. The only thing I have not done yet is calling Comcast and add for support but we all know, they won't help you if you behind the router, as long as I have internet if connecting direct from their modem to PC, they're done, not their issue.
So b4 calling them, I want to revert back to the Belkin stock and retry one more time. Note: when first brought up this Belkin, I didn't have to call Comcast, it just worked out of the box.

The LED on the front stays solid green after power cycle, I gave it at least 5 minutes though.
I did set static IP for both 192.168.1.8 (and .2.8), honestly I haven't keyed in the Gateway info.
I'll give it a try.

Thanks again, bennor and all.

Update: just add to the mix, I have tried 2 different cat5 cables, already tried on all 4 LAN ports.

Still not up yet but I made some progress, at least better than last nite.
Now, using a laptop, it suddenly able to see each other. With static IP set to 192.168.1.1 along with subnet and gateway, I'm able to get into the CFE page.
Clear NVRAM and load Tomato again (since I think I already have DD-WRT installed, so I skipped loading the "mini" file). Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Update: another good news for me.
I'm able to get into the Tomato control panel.
I haven't plug in the WAN port yet. Will try when get home.

pianoCM said:   Still not up yet but I made some progress, at least better than last nite.
Now, using a laptop, it suddenly able to see each other. With static IP set to 192.168.1.1 along with subnet and gateway, I'm able to get into the CFE page.
Clear NVRAM and load Tomato again (since I think I already have DD-WRT installed, so I skipped loading the "mini" file). Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

If your flashing from the CFE page, you have to load the Mini first, then flash to the full DD-WRT or TomatoUSB from DD-WRT Mini.
I hope that's a typo about the static IP being set to 192.168.1.1. The computer should have the static IP of 192.168.1.8.

Edit to add: If flashing to TomatoUSB don't forget to enable the DHCP server after flashing to it otherwise your computer won't get the correct IP address when reconfigured back to "obtain IP address automatically".

bennor said:   pianoCM, like Hypnosis4u2nv stated, its generally very difficult to actually truly "brick" this router. Flashing this router is actually a pretty simple process so long as the steps to flash are followed. Generally when people have trouble flashing its because they either didn't follow the general flashing steps in the Memory Summary on the first page of this thread. Didn't wait the suggested time after flashing the firmware. Or they forgot to change their computer's static IP from 192.168.2.8 to 192.168.1.8 when flashing from the stock Belkin firmware to DD-WRT mini.

Couple of comments/suggestions on flashing this router....
  • Disable any Anti Virus or Internet Security software before flashing. Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 may prevented the CFE page or the Belkin/DD-WRT/TomatoUSB firmware update page from completing the upload/flashing of firmware.
  • Ensure Javascript is enabled, and any security restrictions disabled in your browser.
  • Never, EVER, flash this or any router over a wireless connection, always use a wired connection.
  • Clear your browser's Cache before flashing. Its important to delete the "temporary internet files" when deleting the browser's Cache.
  • If your computer has multiple network adapters, disable all but the one that is wired to the router.
  • Disconnect all other connected devices to the router including the broadband modem. This includes any connected USB devices.
  • Always configure your computer with a Static IP Address when flashing. Be sure to put the router's IP address in the Gateway field for the static IP address. The router should be reached at either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 after being flashed.
  • Try an alternate browser if your current one cannot upload the firmware file from the CFE web page.
  • Always do a hard 30-30-30 reset BEFORE flashing the router. Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, while still holding in the reset button remove power to the router for 30 seconds, while still holding in the reset button, reapply the power to the router and wait 30 more seconds.
  • On the CFE page, select the option to reset or clear the NVRAM before flashing the router.
  • If flashing or updating firmware from within DD-WRT/TomatoUSB or the Belkin firmware, it sometimes helps to enable the option to reset the firmware to default values or reset the NVRAM. This will cause the loss of any user configured settings and reset the router to default firmware settings. After the reset you will need to reconfigure the router as needed.
  • After the router firmware has been updated, power cycle the router.
  • Make sure your using the correct, recommended, firmware mention in this thread for this router, using incorrect firmware could brick this or any other router.
  • Another way to reach the CFE page is to remove power from the router and press and hold the reset button, then reapply power and wait 30 seconds while continuing to hold in the reset button.
  • Don't be surprised if the router's indicator light is not lit when on the CFE page or when flashing from the CFE page to DD-WRT Mini.
  • If the router indicator light is orange (or any color other than green) after flashing, power cycle the router, and the router indicator light should return to green after a minute or two.
  • If flashing to TomatoUSB, the DHCP server is disabled by default. Users will need to keep/set their computer to a static IP of 192.168.1.8, log into TomatoUSB, navigate to Basic -> Network, then enable DHCP Server, hit the Save button to save the settings. Once the DHCP server is enabled you can change the computer's static IP back to "obtain IP address automatically".

Excellent post Bennor.. I added a link to this in the OP so that anyone who is attempting to flash this router with DD-WRT or Tomato familiarize themselves with what the process will be like prior to attempting this..

bennor said:   pianoCM said:   Still not up yet but I made some progress, at least better than last nite.

If your flashing from the CFE page, you have to load the Mini first, then flash to the full DD-WRT or TomatoUSB from DD-WRT Mini.
I hope that's a typo about the static IP being set to 192.168.1.1. The computer should have the static IP of 192.168.1.8.

Edit to add: If flashing to TomatoUSB don't forget to enable the DHCP server after flashing to it otherwise your computer won't get the correct IP address when reconfigured back to "obtain IP address automatically".

Glad you didn't give up on the router PianoCM and your almost there.. Make sure you follow Bennor's instructions..

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   Excellent post Bennor.. I added a link to this in the OP so that anyone who is attempting to flash this router with DD-WRT or Tomato familiarize themselves with what the process will be like prior to attempting this..
Hopefully it will help others who run into issues when flashing. For most people, if they follow the Member Summary flashing directions shouldn't have a problem, so long as the follow the steps exactly.

For the most part the only major issues I have run into when flashing between firmwares (Belkin, DD-WRT, and TomatoUSB) was the failure to set the correct static IP address depending on what firmware is loaded when I try to access the CFE page to flash to the DD-WRT Mini or when accessing the flashed DD-WRT or TomatoUSB for the first time. This lead to, on more than one occasion, what I thought was a bricked the router. Having Kasperskey Internet Security 2012 on a new computer block the flashing from the CFE and from the DD-WRT, Belkin, and TommatoUSB firmware update pages. And once, a failure to flash until I cleared my browser's Cache, in particular selected "temporary internet files" in Internet Explorer.

One other thing that happened to me - on one of my routers, I set the router's IP address to something other than 192.168.1.1. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't connect and then started cycling through the 192.168.1.x addresses and then the DD-WRT interface finally came up when I hit the right one.

Bottom line - write down any configuration changes you make and store it in a known place or keep it by each router.

A very good news for me.
Making a long story short, I am back in the internet, however not with either DD-WRT or Tomato that I intended to use, but with the Belkin firmware.
For some reason, I could never get DD-WRT to work (to access internet). Tonite, I tried Tomato, same exact behavior. Then I revert to Belkin and again, same behavior. I 99% conclude that either something wrong with the WAN port or Comcast somehow blocked it I was thinking go to Bestbuy and buy another router to see if Comcast has anything to do with this.
While I sat there playing with the Belkin firmware, suddenly it "Connected".
I'll power cycle a few times and it seems to work just fine now.
Anyway, even though I want to run DD-WRT/Tomato (whole reason of purchasing this router) but well, they don't like me, I guess
So I have to stay with Belkin for now.
Big thanks to all of you, especially bennor and Hypo.
Very appreciate!

@pianoCM

Your Comcast issue sounds strange because the Belkin stock firmware works. If you've tried all the usual recommendations (disabling STP, cloning MAC, hard-resetting modem, etc.), I saw someone mentioning uDHCP as a possible cause here: link, comments 9-11.
If you feel like it, you can try that suggestion in Tomato (reduce DHCP packet size). If your ISP is really blocking uDHCP requests, another potential workaround in DD-WRT is to try setting vendor class under Services, DHCP Client to "MSFT 5.0" (which is used by Windows). I don't know if either solves the problem, I just thought I'd mention them. Good luck, whether or not you decide to try.

BostonOne said:   One other thing that happened to me - on one of my routers, I set the router's IP address to something other than 192.168.1.1. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't connect and then started cycling through the 192.168.1.x addresses and then the DD-WRT interface finally came up when I hit the right one.

Bottom line - write down any configuration changes you make and store it in a known place or keep it by each router.

or you could have use Angry IP Scanner freeware to find open ip within the same subnet.

For the DD-WRT firmware, I noticed the difference between the f7d7301 mini build and the generic mini build is only the first 4 bytes. The first 4 bytes (i.e. the header) of the f7d7301 build are simply the first 4 bytes of the stock firmware. Based on this information, I replaced the header of the generic "big" build to make a file that could be accepted by the stock firmware. So, I successfully went from the stock firmware (with factory defaults) to "big" directly, without going through CFE or even changing to static IP (since both stock and DD-WRT enable DHCP server by default). I suspect this would work with Tomato as well, but I did not try that specifically.

Of course, I don't recommend this method to anyone who's afraid of bricking the router as this is not well tested. I just thought I'd share this information.

I have it up and running with Tomato. I was wondering if anyone has a Tivo unit and has been able to stream video? I have a USB drive connected to the router that has our Itunes library, pictures and videos. We can play the Itune library through SONOS and can see pictures through the Tivo but not video. A menu choice for Tomato video shows up in the Tivo menu but no videos when I select it.

TheBigKid said:   I have it up and running with Tomato. I was wondering if anyone has a Tivo unit and has been able to stream video? I have a USB drive connected to the router that has our Itunes library, pictures and videos. We can play the Itune library through SONOS and can see pictures through the Tivo but not video. A menu choice for Tomato video shows up in the Tivo menu but no videos when I select it.

How are you sharing the videos, through Samba or DNLA?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014