• 134 35 36373845
  • Page
  • Text Only
ct99 said:   
So does Roksbox not work? According to the tutorial: "Almost any device that can run a web server can stream media files to Roksbox." Just wondering. I don't have a Roku, but it's good to know whether it's a good option next time a deal comes around.

If you see step 4 of the Roksbox link you provided you'll see that you need to access the web server root directory on the router to upload a couple of files. And it appears you need PHP and possibly other packages installed and running the router's webserver. It also appears you have to setup the media folders on the web server, since the web server runs internal on the router that may present a problem trying to run Roksbox internal on the router. It further states...
Tutorial - Other NAS said: If neither of these options work, then the process gets very technical. You need to either find a way to edit your web server's config file and have it allow directory listings, or have it allow the use of .htaccess files, or you need to find a way to run PHP on your web server. It is beyond the scope of this document to try to determine how to do this on your particular device, but you can search the web to try to find the solution. If you are able to find a solution, and can then get a directory listing from a web browser, then continue with these instructions.
Is it possible? Maybe. But it involves some time installing and configuring the correct packages to the DD-WRT or TomatoUSB firmware. Some further links that may be helpful if anyone wants to take a shot at it...
DD-WRT: WEB server
Possibly install Opware.
Lighttpd and PHP on DD-WRT (Possibly OpenWRT too)

Had some trouble after loading the mini firmware after the 30/30/30. It would just stay in uploading and eventually it would disconnect. After a power off/on it went back to the belkin firmware - clearly the mini never uploaded. Finally switched to IE and got the confirmation the firmware was uploaded and success in upgrading later to the big firmware.

Did get trouble with the cable modem not liking it - eventually a full reset of it, allowed me to connect to the internet.

So far, played with channels and QoS. Next will be SANE and USB printing and I could finally let my computer sleep...

bennor said:   ct99 said:   
So does Roksbox not work? According to the tutorial: "Almost any device that can run a web server can stream media files to Roksbox." Just wondering. I don't have a Roku, but it's good to know whether it's a good option next time a deal comes around.

If you see step 4 of the Roksbox link you provided you'll see that you need to access the web server root directory on the router to upload a couple of files. And it appears you need PHP and possibly other packages installed and running the router's webserver. It also appears you have to setup the media folders on the web server, since the web server runs internal on the router that may present a problem trying to run Roksbox internal on the router.

Read a bit more about it... it doesn't appear PHP is necessary. But I think DD-WRT's built-in httpd doesn't support directory listing, so installation of lighttpd or equivalent is probably needed. Anyway, thanks for the info.

bennor said:   lernim said:   Thanks for all the info, good summary. I did get plex server running on my pc and streaming off the HD connected to the router, easy enough it's just less efficient than say a "vlc media player" channel that plays off the local LAN, I wanted to eliminate the pc as middle man. I also got this HD running off the wii with wiiMMC as another way, but again a middle device. Overall, very neat and cool router. Turned my 5 year old wired printer into a wireless one too, so got a better router (replaced dlink-524 that's backup now) for the cost of a wireless print server.
I love my Roku 2 XS, but Roku's were never designed to access local media servers over the local network. Currently I have an attached USB drive to the Roku 2 XS for streaming local media content. One could even attach a powered USB hub to the Roku 2 XS USB port and run multiple drives.

The only way to get the Roku to see the router would be to integrate some kind of code similar to that used by Plex and others. Haven't seen anyone mention anyone working on such an idea. The HipServ workaround is intriguing but again it would have to be integrated into the router's firmware for it to work.

I don't have a Roku but have read that one can set up channels to use PlayOn or My Media that will serve up files from a PC on the network or from selected NAS devices.

Oh well.. Tried to go from DD-WRT to Tomato, it said firmware upgrade successful and then got a login prompt like many others have reported. Tried to do a 30/30/30 reset at which point it totally died. The LEDs don't come on. Have tried several resets, different combinations, tried to ping various IP addressed (after setting correct static IP) etc.

Will see if I want to send it to Belkin for a warranty replacement or just eat $22. oh well, c'est a la vie.

YumRaj said:   Oh well.. Tried to go from DD-WRT to Tomato, it said firmware upgrade successful and then got a login prompt like many others have reported. Tried to do a 30/30/30 reset at which point it totally died. The LEDs don't come on. Have tried several resets, different combinations, tried to ping various IP addressed (after setting correct static IP) etc.

Will see if I want to send it to Belkin for a warranty replacement or just eat $22. oh well, c'est a la vie.

As cremefilled already posted earlier in this thread:

cremefilled said:   Bricking a router by installing the wrong nonsupported firmware, twice, and then expecting the manufacturer to cover your mistake by (presumably) lying, twice, is pretty questionable.

YumRaj said:   Oh well.. Tried to go from DD-WRT to Tomato, it said firmware upgrade successful and then got a login prompt like many others have reported. Tried to do a 30/30/30 reset at which point it totally died. The LEDs don't come on. Have tried several resets, different combinations, tried to ping various IP addressed (after setting correct static IP) etc.

Unless you flashed the wrong firmware or interrupt the flashing process, it is generally difficult to brick the router.. There a many posts in this thread where people were under the impression they bricked their routers during a flash (during a Tomato flash at that) and were able to get them working again.. I for one, went through the same ordeal..

unmesh said:   I don't have a Roku but have read that one can set up channels to use PlayOn or My Media that will serve up files from a PC on the network or from selected NAS devices.
Using PlayOn, Plex, Roksbox, Mythroku and other media server software in conjunction with a Roku was covered one page back in this post. Also mentioned in that post was how Seagate GoFlex, Netgear Stora, Verbatim MediaShare, roxio Streamer, LaCie Network Drives or another NAS device that is running HipServ may be able to stream to a Roku device. The initial question, which brought up this line of discussion, was by another poster who asked if it was possible for the Roku to play media from USB drives attached to the router.

After flashing to TomatoUSB your supposed to get a login prompt when you try to access the TomatoUSB administration screen. Generally the log-in default for TomatoUSB is:
username: root
password: admin

When you do a hard 30/30/30 reset the LED generally does NOT come on. This is because the router has been put into CFE web page access mode. Power cycling the router should cause the LED to become lit. Note it may take more than a minute (or two) for the router's indicator LED to become lit when the router is power on when using DD-WRT or TomatoUSB firmware.

When flashing to TomatoUSB the DHCP server on the router is disabled by default. One MUST assign a static IP, usually 192.168.1.8 (subnet to 255.255.255.0, gateway to 192.168.1.1), to their computer in order to gain access (via http://192.168.1.1) to the TomatoUSB administration screen after flashing to TomatoUSB. Once the TomatoUSB DHCP server has been enabled you can change the computer's static IP back to "obtain IP address automatically". If you continue to have trouble flashing see this post for more suggestions.

As has been previously stated in this thread (and this page) it is very difficult to actually "brick" this router. If you can access the router's CFE page you can reload DD-WRT, TomatoUSB, or the original Belkin firmware. See the Member Summary on page 1 of this thread for more information on the recommended steps for flashing this router, and other links and information pertinent to this router.

bennor said:   YumRaj said:   Oh well.. Tried to go from DD-WRT to Tomato, it said firmware upgrade successful and then got a login prompt like many others have reported. Tried to do a 30/30/30 reset at which point it totally died. The LEDs don't come on. Have tried several resets, different combinations, tried to ping various IP addressed (after setting correct static IP) etc.

After flashing to TomatoUSB your supposed to get a login prompt when you try to access the TomatoUSB administration screen. Generally the log-in default for TomatoUSB is:

When you do a hard 30/30/30 reset the LED generally does NOT come on. This is because the router has been put into CFE web page access mode. Power cycling the router should cause the LED to become lit. Note it may take more than a minute (or two) for the router's indicator LED to become lit when the router is power on when using DD-WRT or TomatoUSB firmware.

When flashing to TomatoUSB the DHCP server on the router is disabled by default. One MUST assign a static IP, usually 192.168.1.8 (subnet to 255.255.255.0, gateway to 192.168.1.1), to their computer in order to gain access (via http://192.168.1.1) to the TomatoUSB administration screen after flashing to TomatoUSB. Once the TomatoUSB DHCP server has been enabled you can change the computer's static IP back to "obtain IP address automatically". If you continue to have trouble flashing see this post for more suggestions.

As has been previously stated in this thread (and this page) it is very difficult to actually "brick" this router. If you can access the router's CFE page you can reload DD-WRT, TomatoUSB, or the original Belkin firmware. See the Member Summary on page 1 of this thread for more information on the recommended steps for flashing this router, and other links and information pertinent to this router.

This is what happened in my case:
1) Went from DD-WRT to Tomato
2) got the login prompt, tried a few combinations which didn't work
3) did the 30/30/30 reset to chane to default settings - LED did not come on
4) Power cycled, still no LED
5) Changed IP to static IP of 192.168.1.8 and later 192.168.2.8 (since I had changed my DD-WRT to 192.168.2.1 earlier)
6) Result: could not connect to the router. Still no signs of life
7) tried to ping, nothing.

NOTE: in each case I waited really long time to see any light in LED, or even CFE mode, nothing.
So, in my case it does seem that it is kinda dead, which is in line with some other similar reports. I will try more today to see if something can be done.

YumRaj said:   

From what version of DD-WRT to what version of Tomato? What is the firmware file name your trying to flash to?

Another way to access the CFE page is to first set your computer to the local IP address of 192.168.1.8, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, gateway of 192.168.1.1. Then remove power from the router, press in and hold in the reset button on the back of the router, continue to hold the reset button in while you reapply power to the router. Then while still holding in the reset button wait at least 30 seconds. Then open Internet Explorer and try to access the router via http://192.168.1.1. The router indicator LED should not be lit while accessing the CFE page.

Use Internet Explorer if possible ot flash this router. Make sure to clear the browser's Cache including "temporary internet files" before flashing or if you have trouble accessing the CFE page. Do not have any other active network connections on the computer (disable them before flashing or accessing the CFE page). Disconnect all other wired devices from the back of the router. Use a wired computer to access the router's CFE page. Do not have any other open web browser windows or tabs.

So far in this thread I think most if not all of those who have reported trouble accessing the router immediately after flashing later reported it was because they used the wrong static IP address on their computer.

You just have to screw with it to get it back. Leave it unplugged for an hour. Come back and do the 30-30-30 (don't count fast), etc. Often it'll come back.

Have one on order. I have a voip phone system that will connect on the ethernet port, 2 anadroid devices and a Roku box to connect wirelessly. The only router feature I plan to use is Qos to prevent my roommate's TV streaming from causing drop outs on my voip phone. I also need to connect a Canon printer and a WD drive via the usb ports. I am thinking of simply using the stock Belkin software because I don't need rich features and so many people have had trouble with the usb ports of the aftermarket software. How well does the Belkin software work for the usb ports? Thanks

Very cool, printed wirelessly with my touchpad running android using the printbot app.

YumRaj said:   bennor said:   YumRaj said:   Oh well.. Tried to go from DD-WRT to Tomato, it said firmware upgrade successful and then got a login prompt like many others have reported. Tried to do a 30/30/30 reset at which point it totally died. The LEDs don't come on. Have tried several resets, different combinations, tried to ping various IP addressed (after setting correct static IP) etc.

5) Changed IP to static IP of 192.168.1.8 and later 192.168.2.8 (since I had changed my DD-WRT to 192.168.2.1 earlier)

NOTE: in each case I waited really long time to see any light in LED, or even CFE mode, nothing.
So, in my case it does seem that it is kinda dead, which is in line with some other similar reports. I will try more today to see if something can be done.

Don't be too hard on yourself, just give it a break, say 24 hours then redo the whole thing.
You can retry on a different computer.
I wish you luck.

I tried looking through this thread but my eyes end up losing focus after a bit.
If I have tomato now, can i upgrade to another tomato without having to go through everything again? (30/30/30, mini to mega, etc)

It is possible to un-brick this router using a Jtag. I know because I've done it. Took me three days to figure it out however and you have to make or buy a hardware interface cable. In my case I made it out of an old printer cable and an old IDE cable + some resistors. You need to be somewhat nutty like me to waste so much time on a $20 router though.

Bhagwan said:   It is possible to un-brick this router using a Jtag. I know because I've done it. Took me three days to figure it out however and you have to make or buy a hardware interface cable. In my case I made it out of an old printer cable and an old IDE cable + some resistors. You need to be somewhat nutty like me to waste so much time on a $20 router though.
+1 for being nutty enough to do this versus spending $20 on a new router.

YumRaj said:   bennor said:   YumRaj said:   Oh well.. Tried to go from DD-WRT to Tomato, it said firmware upgrade successful and then got a login prompt like many others have reported. Tried to do a 30/30/30 reset at which point it totally died. The LEDs don't come on. Have tried several resets, different combinations, tried to ping various IP addressed (after setting correct static IP) etc.

I'd say this is pretty typical of my DDWRT to Tomato experiences, and I've done this 4 or 5 times now. Tomato seems to not like the first reboot. So, set IP to 192.68.1.xx, power on router, after 2 minutes, try ping/login. If unsuccessful, or it says 'ddwrt login', then push the reset button on the router for 30 seconds (probably only need 10 or 15). Let it reboot for 2 minutes, try ping/login again. LED may still be off, don't worry. Now unplug power, count to 5 and plug in power. After a minute or so, tomato should be available.

ct99 said:   
Read a bit more about it... it doesn't appear PHP is necessary. But I think DD-WRT's built-in httpd doesn't support directory listing, so installation of lighttpd or equivalent is probably needed. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Edited original post that indicated I couldn't get the lighttpd web server portion working.

Success! Was able to get the Roku to access media files on a flash drive via the router's USB port. Optware and Lighttpd have to be installed. I am currently running the tomato-K26USB-1.28.7500.2MIPSR2Toastman-RT-VPN firmware. If your running DD-WRT the steps may be slightly different. I tried to include all the steps/information that I found and used in this post. I do not know what security risks or operating risks these changes may induce on the router so beware. Note: Proceed at your own risk!!! If you bork or brick your router, don't blame me.

I started by using the directions from the following links...
http://tomatousb.org/tut:optware-installation
http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-282372/lighttpd-on-tomato-usb#post-919219
ETA: Forgot to include this link: http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=131&Itemid=54

I partitioning a 4GB flash drive into two partitions, one called "optware" and the second called "Media". The optware partition was configured to 1GB and the Media partition was configured with the remaining space on the flash drive. Both partitions were created and formatted for "ext3" using the free program MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition on a Windows 7 PC.

If you get a wget error when attempting to download the Optware package to the router, make sure you have DNS servers entered into the Basic -> Network page of TomatoUSB.

Activated File Sharing to add the directory /opt from the flash drive (named it "opt") and gave it read/write access so when editing files they can be saved. File Sharing for Opt can removed once you have successfully configured the Roku to access the media. Created the folders Music, Photos, Videos in the partition Media.

When manually editing the lighttpd.conf file I set mine to the following, some settings are the default settings some are not. Uncommenting out means I deleted the "#" before the entry.
Lighttpd.conf left Server Port at 8081
Lighttpd.conf server.document-root = "/opt/share/www/lighttpd/"
Lighttpd.conf Change server.bind to 192.168.1.1 but left the line commented out
Uncommented out server.event-handler = "poll", errors on log
Uncommented out the following server.modules: "mod_alias", "mod_access", "mod_auth", "mod_fastcgi", "mod_accesslog".

Used the info from this URL to map the media folder(/tmp/mnt/Media) on the flash drive.
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=35279

I rebooted the router at several points along the way. Including one power cycle after updating the lighttpd.conf file.

Add the Roksbox channel to the Roku with this URL....
https://owner.roku.com/add/P1KWQ

Once the channel has been installed to the Roku (may have to enter and leave the Channel Store) launch the Roksbox channel. There is a 30 day trial. Start Roksbox. Next navigate to Options, select My Options, select Setup Wizard, select Web Server. The select Continue to step through the wizard.

Note when running through the Roksbox wizard, I had to manually enter my IP address and port for the router/lighttpd URL: 192.168.1.1:8081. For all other settings I used the default settings since my folder structure was Media with subfolders Photos, Videos, Music.

Edit to add: I have not tried streaming large HD quality video to the Roku from the router. Only had time to test some SD quality files that played fine via wireless on the Roku.

Bennor you rock! Gotta try that later after I read more. I'm getting obsessive about reading this thread, it's addicting.

bennor said:   ct99 said:   

Edited original post that indicated I couldn't get the lighttpd web server portion working.

Success! Was able to get the Roku to access media files on a flash drive via the router's USB port. Optware and Lighttpd have to be installed. I am currently running the tomato-K26USB-1.28.7500.2MIPSR2Toastman-RT-VPN firmware. If your running DD-WRT the steps may be slightly different. I tried to include all the steps/information that I found and used in this post. I do not know what security risks or operating risks these changes may induce on the router so beware. Note: Proceed at your own risk!!! If you bork or brick your router, don't blame me.

I started by using the directions from the following links...
http://tomatousb.org/tut:optware-installation
http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-282372/lighttpd-on-tomato-usb#post-919219

I partitioning a 4GB flash drive into two partitions, one called "optware" and the second called "Media". The optware partition was configured to 1GB and the Media partition was configured with the remaining space on the flash drive. Both partitions were created and formatted for "ext3" using the free program MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition on a Windows 7 PC.

If you get a wget error when attempting to download the Optware package to the router, make sure you have DNS servers entered into the Basic -> Network page of TomatoUSB.

Activated File Sharing to add the directory /opt from the flash drive (named it "opt") and gave it read/write access so when editing files they can be saved. File Sharing for Opt can removed once you have successfully configured the Roku to access the media. Created the folders Music, Photos, Videos in the partition Media.

When manually editing the lighttpd.conf file I set mine to the following, some settings are the default settings some are not. Uncommenting out means I deleted the "#" before the entry.
Lighttpd.conf left Server Port at 8081
Lighttpd.conf server.document-root = "/opt/share/www/lighttpd/"
Lighttpd.conf Change server.bind to 192.168.1.1 but left the line commented out
Uncommented out server.event-handler = "poll", errors on log
Uncommented out the following server.modules: "mod_alias", "mod_access", "mod_auth", "mod_fastcgi", "mod_accesslog".

Used the info from this URL to map the media folder(/tmp/mnt/Media) on the flash drive.
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=35279

I rebooted the router at several points along the way. Including one power cycle after updating the lighttpd.conf file.

Add the Roksbox channel to the Roku with this URL....
https://owner.roku.com/add/P1KWQ

Once the channel has been installed to the Roku (may have to enter and leave the Channel Store) launch the Roksbox channel. There is a 30 day trial. Start Roksbox. Next navigate to Options, select My Options, select Setup Wizard, select Web Server. The select Continue to step through the wizard.

Note when running through the Roksbox wizard, I had to manually enter my IP address and port for the router/lighttpd URL: 192.168.1.1:8081. For all other settings I used the default settings since my folder structure was Media with subfolders Photos, Videos, Music.

Edit to add: I have not tried streaming large HD quality video to the Roku from the router. Only had time to test some SD quality files that played fine via wireless on the Roku.

Why did you do this? Don't Roku's have USB in the back you can just plug directly to?

lernim said:   .... I'm getting obsessive about reading this thread, it's addicting.

me2++

Wonder if there is a tool to convert this thread to a .pdf ;?)
There is just so much collective knowledge here. shame to lose it due to "the natural thread aging process"

Al3xK said:   
Why did you do this? Don't Roku's have USB in the back you can just plug directly to?

Why not?

Yes some Roku's have a USB port on the side. I use it on mine from time to time. But since the Roku was not designed to be DNLA capable, Roku users wanted ways to access media stored on existing NAS devices or media servers. A page or two back in this thread the question was asked if one could attach a USB drive to the router and stream via a Roku to one's TV. TomatoUSB does have a Media Server option but the Roku cannot access it. As indicated in other posts above and one page back there are workarounds to getting a Roku to access media on a PC or on certain NAS devices. In most cases it requires installing additional media server software (like Plex, Roksbox, and others) to the PC.

One of the downsides of using a drive connected to the Roku's USB port is one has to remove it and attach it elsewhere to add or remove content from the external drive. With the external drive attached to the router it can be updated at any time by users on the network.

This apparent workaround for us Roku users opens up more avenues for this router. Opens up one more thing for people to tinker with on this router.

venkatbo said:   
There is just so much collective knowledge here. shame to lose it due to "the natural thread aging process"

Well if one has a PDF Printer driver installed (like PDF Forge) one could hit the Text Only link at the top of the page and print the entire thread, in text format, to PDF (all 350+ pages of it)...

bennor said:   venkatbo said:   

Well if one has a PDF Printer driver installed (like PDF Forge) one could hit the Text Only link at the top of the page and print the entire thread, in text format, to PDF (all 350+ pages of it)...

Like this?

YumRaj said:   

UPDATE: It's Alive!!

This is one oddball router and firmware, totally doesn't make sense.
Anyway, I had been trying to reset, 30/30/30, reboot, pull cable and what not and the damn thing was dead as a brick. No LED, no signs on life whatsoever.

I left is unplugged for a few hours as some people had suggested, had RMA and everything all set ready to be returned, when I decided to plug it one more time and voila LED lights up and tomato is all happy. WTF!!!!

The signal is still flaky, keeps going up and down especially compared to my ancient Linksys WRT54G which is rock solid, but I'm keeping it.

Bhagwan said:   It is possible to un-brick this router using a Jtag. I know because I've done it. Took me three days to figure it out however and you have to make or buy a hardware interface cable. In my case I made it out of an old printer cable and an old IDE cable + some resistors. You need to be somewhat nutty like me to waste so much time on a $20 router though.
This router has a serial interface as well. Plus, it's just $22 for a new one.

bennor said:   

Nice!!! Very impressive! A few things to add:
1. Once Optware is installed, there are a few web servers to choose from, in addition to lighttpd: apache, minihttpd, nginx, nostromo, thttpd, and more.
2. For DD-WRT, if Optware is installed by following Optware, the Right Way, lighttpd would be one of the default services installed.
3. unmesh mentioned My Media, so I checked it out. From the installation guide, My Media uses python. Since python packages are available in both OpenWrt and Optware, My Media may be another option. I have no idea whether performance or memory would be an issue with this router though.

YumRaj said:   YumRaj said:   

UPDATE: It's Alive!!

This is one oddball router and firmware, totally doesn't make sense.
Anyway, I had been trying to reset, 30/30/30, reboot, pull cable and what not and the damn thing was dead as a brick. No LED, no signs on life whatsoever.

I left is unplugged for a few hours as some people had suggested, had RMA and everything all set ready to be returned, when I decided to plug it one more time and voila LED lights up and tomato is all happy. WTF!!!!

The signal is still flaky, keeps going up and down especially compared to my ancient Linksys WRT54G which is rock solid, but I'm keeping it.

My guess is it was never dead, since you had successfully flashed a firmware. Once you did the 30/30/30 reset, it went into the bootloader (CFE). In the CFE you get no light and no indicator, since most components aren't initialized. So if your PC wasn't able to communicate with the router via the correct address, the router would appear dead.

Also, since the firmware wasn't corrupt, you shouldn't have needed to do 30/30/30 to get into CFE. I think a simple 30 reset (while powered on, holding reset button for 30 seconds) should reset settings back to default, allowing you to log in with the default password at the default IP.
Info: Reset And Reboot

As for the wireless signal issue (assuming it's already on a good channel), maybe try to adjust TX power? In particular, try lowering it to 20-40 and go up as needed. Not sure if that would solve the problem... just a suggestion.

I'm thinking of buying this router, but I want wireless speeds of at least close to 100Mbps. With this router using Tomato or DD-WRT firmware and a client with a Wireless-N card capable of theoretical 300Mbps speeds, would fairly consistent 100Mbps+ transfer speeds be realistic?

ct99 said:   Nice!!! Very impressive! A few things to add:
1. Once Optware is installed, there are a few web servers to choose from, in addition to lighttpd: apache, minihttpd, nginx, nostromo, thttpd, and more.
2. For DD-WRT, if Optware is installed by following Optware, the Right Way, lighttpd would be one of the default services installed.
3. unmesh mentioned My Media, so I checked it out. From the installation guide, My Media uses python. Since python packages are available in both OpenWrt and Optware, My Media may be another option. I have no idea whether performance or memory would be an issue with this router though.

On the performance issue, I copied over an HD video (1280x720) last night to the flash drive and while it would play after taking several minutes to buffer with the Roku. The minute I tried to fast forward the video it appears the router choked on trying to stream the video. The Roksbox interface eventually generated a error saying it lost connection to the webserver on the router. I assume the transfer speed across the USB bridge within the router is probably the bottleneck.

On a side note it appears the Roku 2 XS connected via wireless connects at 65Mbps (at least according to the Device List in TomatoUSB).

For some being able to run a webserver off this router may be a plus.

Gojumpina said:   Something is wrong with DDWRT in client / repeater mode, I used two DDWRT builds (18946 and 15396), both are very flaky. Routine drops, and after a few days, simply fails to make the link.

Switched to Tomato 1.28.7497 and its working great for a few weeks now.

Jumpina is correct, dd-wrt has problems with repeater mode. I switched to Tomato (the same version stated in the original install thread) and repeater has been working fine for two days. I'm glad I switched. I think I like it better in general.

bennor said:

On a side note it appears the Roku 2 XS connected via wireless connects at 65Mbps (at least according to the Device List in TomatoUSB).

Mine does this too, before anything connects, resetting the router I get 300Mbps, interference acceptable is best I can get. Then when I connect my touchpad running ICS, router drops down to 65Mbps, strangely, my touchpad says I'm connecting at 72Mbps.

You have wasted so much time but you have gained vast knowledge which, personally I think it's a much better trade-off.
Thumbs up for you, Bhagwan.

binarysolo said:   I'm thinking of buying this router, but I want wireless speeds of at least close to 100Mbps. With this router using Tomato or DD-WRT firmware and a client with a Wireless-N card capable of theoretical 300Mbps speeds, would fairly consistent 100Mbps+ transfer speeds be realistic?

No guarantees... there are other factors that come into play - like interferences from walls, other wireless devices, computers in the vicinity, etc. I think it has to be checked on a case by case basis.

As an aside, I have the latest Linksys EA4500 (~10 times this price) which is supposedly a great value... And I see the following:
. In line of sight, without and interferences (like walls etc),
I can get my MBPro locked at 300mbps, even ~15ft.
. But that same MBPro, behind 4 walls and ~15ft aways, drops
to a max of 72mbps.
So much for a $200 device.

That said, imo, $22/- may not be that much of a gamble to get one and try. Folks using tomato seem to have the best luck. Worst case, you can use it as an acceptable NAS, print-server, repeater/bridge, DLNA streamer, etc.

binarysolo said:   I'm thinking of buying this router, but I want wireless speeds of at least close to 100Mbps. With this router using Tomato or DD-WRT firmware and a client with a Wireless-N card capable of theoretical 300Mbps speeds, would fairly consistent 100Mbps+ transfer speeds be realistic?

If you NEED consistent 100+Mbps speeds then wireless should not be an option.. Frankly, I would only consider running Cat5e/6 since it appears your doing more than just streaming video or need connectivity to the internet.. Took me and a friend (and a few 6 packs to keep us happy) two days to run Ethernet and coax cable to 8 locations and patch up any damage to the walls.. Using keystone plates and jacks, I couldn't be any happier with how it turned out and how it performs.. Of course, there will always be the need for wireless connectivity, but spreading a few of these cheap routers around the house should allow me to connect to the one with the strongest signal no matter where I am with my wireless device..

Frankly, I would only consider running Cat5e/6 since it appears your...

Curious. Where can you order Cat5e/6 cables at a cheap price in say 15' - 20' lengths??

Thanks.

zettler said:   Frankly, I would only consider running Cat5e/6 since it appears your...

Curious. Where can you order Cat5e/6 cables at a cheap price in say 15' - 20' lengths??

Thanks.

Monoprice.com is my preferred choice for all audio/video/networking cables and accessories..

Was anybody able to set up a guest wifi with this router under tomato?
Otherwise, Tomato seems to be perfect.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014