• filter:
  • 135 36 37383945
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I just got one myself. Already have an Asus RT-N16 running Tomato v1.28.9054 MIPSR2-beta K26 USB vpn3.6 and Optware but I'll be passing one or the other onto my brother after I decide which of these I should keep.

Seems like v1.28.9054 MIPSR2-beta K26 USB vpn3.6 is still the most recent build applicable for the RT-N16 but I'm not up-to-date on DD-WRT development. Which should I now try for either of these routers?

BTW, has anybody here set up Mediawiki on his or her router? I haven't figured out how to do this myself but was able to set up Dokuwiki.

(I'm looking for some sort of method for syncing my iPad, Android tablet and PCs together here in the relative privacy of my home. Dokuwiki allows my doing something in a convoluted, haphazard way. I would very much like something better if it's possible.)

rated:
I just followed the instructions on the first page and things worked out fairly well. Gave me a few problems - still not quite sure what the cause was - but just resetting everything seemed to fix it. Thanks everyone for making this doable for someone who doesn't know much about networks like me!

rated:
Hi, I am a computer novice and an old man, so please respond as simply as possible.
I want to flash the Tomato USB firmware. I can successfully flash the DD-WRT mini. When it asks me for a username and password, I use admin for both.
Then I flash the Tomato firmware. When it's done I get a window that says the DD-Wrt is requesting a username and password. But it won't accept admin, and does not allow me to go any further. Why is DD-WRT requesting a username and password at that point. Shouldn't it already be in Tomato, and why is it not accepting admin.
When i was in DD-WRT mini, I saw that there was a username and password, in the Administration tab, which was encrypted. No matter how many time I tried to change it, it stayed the same. I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem I am having.
I have read as much of this board as I can, I think someone else may have this problem, but I could not find the resolution.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

rated:
gtdad, TomatoUSB does not use the password from DD-WRT when you upgrade to it. Try using the following login information:
Username: root
Password: admin

rated:
coolVariable said:   Was anybody able to set up a guest wifi with this router under tomato?
Otherwise, Tomato seems to be perfect.

Haven't done it yet, but there are directions/steps detailed in this link. Apparently one needs to use the VLAN version of the Toastman firmware (tomato-K26USB-1.28.7500.2MIPSR2Toastman-VLAN-RT-Ext.trx - Note: 4shared.com login required). Toastman does indicate that VLAN firmware versions are "experimental".

rated:
gtdad, fear not! see this post

rated:
coolVariable said:   Was anybody able to set up a guest wifi with this router under tomato?

Yes, I've done it and it works. Follow Bennor's link and firmware recommendations. I have used dd-wrt for quite a while but the virtual lans were not working for me on this router so I switched to Tomato. Took me awhile to figure out the vlan on it though. The main thing that confused me was the bridge drop-down box.

rated:
Gojumpina, Thanks, but what do you mean by ping/login?

rated:
ping is a network command to test if a device is present on the network.

just set your ip address to 192.168.1.8 and attempt to login as you have before

rated:
gtdad said:   Hi, I am a computer novice and an old man, so please respond as simply as possible.
I want to flash the Tomato USB firmware. I can successfully flash the DD-WRT mini. When it asks me for a username and password, I use admin for both.
Then I flash the Tomato firmware. When it's done I get a window that says the DD-Wrt is requesting a username and password. But it won't accept admin, and does not allow me to go any further. Why is DD-WRT requesting a username and password at that point. Shouldn't it already be in Tomato, and why is it not accepting admin.
When i was in DD-WRT mini, I saw that there was a username and password, in the Administration tab, which was encrypted. No matter how many time I tried to change it, it stayed the same. I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem I am having.
I have read as much of this board as I can, I think someone else may have this problem, but I could not find the resolution.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I ran into the EXACT same problem, pope, so good news is you're not alone.
I believed what I did was (after much swearing at the hardware and firmware ), did the 30 reset (not 30/30/30) AND pull the router plug for 10+, took a few beer, ignored it for almost 1/2 hours, then back and suddenly, it was back. I was glad that it's up and running but I do hate the "sudden" part.
Anyway, make sure your PC ip still static as 192.168.1.8, subnet 250.250.250.0, and gateway 192.168.1.1.
I believed after it rested for a while, it decided "itself" to be up and you should be able to get in the Tomato (not DD-WRT) at the first time, get in as root/admin.
When in, change password as I think it not allow us to change the username (meaning username must still be "root")
Good luck, pope.

rated:
bennor said:   coolVariable said:   Was anybody able to set up a guest wifi with this router under tomato?

Haven't done it yet, but there are directions/steps detailed in this link. Apparently one needs to use the VLAN version of the Toastman firmware (tomato-K26USB-1.28.7500.2MIPSR2Toastman-VLAN-RT-Ext.trx - Note: 4shared.com login required). Toastman does indicate that VLAN firmware versions are "experimental".

Thanks - sadly, I don't have a 4shared pw, so I went with this (since I also want VPN server support):
tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-VLAN-RT-VPN

If somebody could upload the equivalent 7500 (VLAN+VPN+RT+Ext) version somewhere besides 4shared, it would be appreciated!

rated:
There is no charge to setup 4share.com account in order to gain access to Toastman's files.

rated:
If this thread wasn't still going, I wouldn't have just bought 2 more. WTF?

rated:
bennor said:   There is no charge to setup 4share.com account in order to gain access to Toastman's files.
http://www.bugmenot.com/view/4share.com

rated:
bennor said:   
On the performance issue, I copied over an HD video (1280x720) last night to the flash drive and while it would play after taking several minutes to buffer with the Roku. The minute I tried to fast forward the video it appears the router choked on trying to stream the video. The Roksbox interface eventually generated a error saying it lost connection to the webserver on the router. I assume the transfer speed across the USB bridge within the router is probably the bottleneck.

On a side note it appears the Roku 2 XS connected via wireless connects at 65Mbps (at least according to the Device List in TomatoUSB).

For some being able to run a webserver off this router may be a plus.

That's interesting. I can get 6+MB/s from a USB flash (simple file copy from FAT32 flash drive). At 65Mbps link speed (1T1R@20MHz), the real world transfer speed is probably around 15-25Mbps. So the USB transfer is faster, but I guess it (router hardware, web server, or Roksbox software) can't handle random access efficiently.
Thanks for your great work.

rated:
coolVariable said:   
Thanks - sadly, I don't have a 4shared pw, so I went with this (since I also want VPN server support):
tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-VLAN-RT-VPN

If somebody could upload the equivalent 7500 (VLAN+VPN+RT+Ext) version somewhere besides 4shared, it would be appreciated!

If you're not partial to Toastman's build, you could try Shibby's.
6/23/2012 build: tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-MIPSR2-095-Big-VPN
file: http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26/build5x-095-EN/tomato-K26USB...
directory: http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26/
build table: http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26/build5x-093-EN/builds.png

rated:

rated:
All these versions are so confusing, toastman, shibby's. Spent 2 hours looking up info on Guest account only to find out today from this thread that I don't have the right version installed, that explains so much lol. Which version would let me run usb, ntfs and guest account?

rated:
when I try to upload tomato-K26USB-1.28.7500.2MIPSR2Toastman-RT-Ext.trx via cfe it says the firware image is invalid, are there working ones available? tried renaming, shorting the name etc etc. belikin and all the dd-wrt's upload fine but these this one tomato-K26USB-1.28.7500.2MIPSR2Toastman-RT-Ext.trx does not. I don't need/want the other features just plain old client with no dhcp. dd-wrt builds are worse than stock for me so want to try tomato.

rated:
kevins7189 said:   when I try to upload tomato-K26USB-1.28.7500.2MIPSR2Toastman-RT-Ext.trx via cfe it says the firware image is invalid, are there working ones available? tried renaming, shorting the name etc etc. belikin and all the dd-wrt's upload fine but these this one tomato-K26USB-1.28.7500.2MIPSR2Toastman-RT-Ext.trx does not. I don't need/want the other features just plain old client with no dhcp. dd-wrt builds are worse than stock for me so want to try tomato.

You don't flash Tomato through CFE, only after you have flashed DD-WRT Mini do you flash Tomato..

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   kevins7189 said:   when I try to upload tomato-K26USB-1.28.7500.2MIPSR2Toastman-RT-Ext.trx via cfe it says the firware image is invalid, are there working ones available? tried renaming, shorting the name etc etc. belikin and all the dd-wrt's upload fine but these this one tomato-K26USB-1.28.7500.2MIPSR2Toastman-RT-Ext.trx does not. I don't need/want the other features just plain old client with no dhcp. dd-wrt builds are worse than stock for me so want to try tomato.

You don't flash Tomato through CFE, only after you have flashed DD-WRT Mini do you flash Tomato..

maybe you can help me, no one has been able to answer it yet.
i'm currently running tomato. if i want to go and try another tomato, can i just do it from my version of tomato or do i need to go back to dd-wrt mini and then tomato it from there?

rated:
corduroy said:   Hypnosis4u2nv said:   kevins7189 said:   when I try to upload tomato-K26USB-1.28.7500.2MIPSR2Toastman-RT-Ext.trx via cfe it says the firware image is invalid, are there working ones available? tried renaming, shorting the name etc etc. belikin and all the dd-wrt's upload fine but these this one tomato-K26USB-1.28.7500.2MIPSR2Toastman-RT-Ext.trx does not. I don't need/want the other features just plain old client with no dhcp. dd-wrt builds are worse than stock for me so want to try tomato.

maybe you can help me, no one has been able to answer it yet.
i'm currently running tomato. if i want to go and try another tomato, can i just do it from my version of tomato or do i need to go back to dd-wrt mini and then tomato it from there?

You can go back and forth with any version of either DD-WRT or Tomato but you may have to reset your settings back to default when you do..

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   Engineer said:   I've looked through the thread and it seems that several have flashed the Shibby version of Tomato instead of Toastman (seems to be more Teaman's stuff than Toastman's but that's another story). I prefer the Shibby version. Anyone see a reason why the newer Shibby versions would not work on this?

Thanks!

I don't see why not as long as the firmware is specifically for the Broadcom chip in this router.. Stick to a K26-MIPSR2 build..

Thanks. I knew it had to be a MIPSR2 version. I used the Mega build of 95 of Shibby (AIO was just too big at 8.1MB ) and all went well. Seems to have great range and speed vs the Asus and Linksys routers/AP's that I already have (at least on par). Replacing an Asus WL-520gU unit with this one.

rated:
lernim said:   All these versions are so confusing, toastman, shibby's. Spent 2 hours looking up info on Guest account only to find out today from this thread that I don't have the right version installed, that explains so much lol. Which version would let me run usb, ntfs and guest account?
Hypnosis4u2nv's post right above yours has the link to the tomato-K26USB-1.28.7500.2MIPSR2Toastman-VLAN-RT-Ext.trx firmware which will let you run usb, ntfs, and guest wifi. See this post for more info about setting up guest wifi.

rated:
ct99 said:   bennor said:   
On the performance issue, I copied over an HD video (1280x720) last night to the flash drive and while it would play after taking several minutes to buffer with the Roku. The minute I tried to fast forward the video it appears the router choked on trying to stream the video. The Roksbox interface eventually generated a error saying it lost connection to the webserver on the router. I assume the transfer speed across the USB bridge within the router is probably the bottleneck.

On a side note it appears the Roku 2 XS connected via wireless connects at 65Mbps (at least according to the Device List in TomatoUSB).

For some being able to run a webserver off this router may be a plus.

That's interesting. I can get 6+MB/s from a USB flash (simple file copy from FAT32 flash drive). At 65Mbps link speed (1T1R@20MHz), the real world transfer speed is probably around 15-25Mbps. So the USB transfer is faster, but I guess it (router hardware, web server, or Roksbox software) can't handle random access efficiently.
Thanks for your great work.

I think someone else in this thread reported problems trying to play HD video via the USB port with either the NAS or Media Server. I would venture to guess the edges of the router's performance is being pushed when trying to run a web server to stream media content from a USB drive to the Roku. When I tried to run HD video from a USB flash drive via the router's Media Server I get frequent hesitations in playback.

Edit to add: Just tried running an HD video file from a 1T USB hard drive and same issue exists, hesitation during playback. HD video runs fine when run from a computer's internal hard drive. Others have reported better USB speed when disabling NTFS. And apparently you can supposedly get better USB speed if the drive is formatted for "ext3".

rated:
lernim said:   All these versions are so confusing, toastman, shibby's. Spent 2 hours looking up info on Guest account only to find out today from this thread that I don't have the right version installed, that explains so much lol. Which version would let me run usb, ntfs and guest account?
Toastman:
From http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-379538/ , it looks like you need VLAN-RT-Ext (plus USB).
If you want VPN support as well like coolVariable, then you could go with VLAN-RT-VPN.
VLAN-RT-VPN-NOCAT (the largest one) adds NOCAT portal if you want that to go with your guest account.

Shibby:
You can look at the table I linked earlier. Basically, all versions support VLAN, all USB versions support NTFS, and ones with VPN in the name support VPN. The note below the table says Mega-VPN is only for routers with more than 8MB flash, but Engineer says it works. So go with Big-VPN or Mega-VPN, depending on your needs.

Some other notes in general:
1. By default, Shibby enables DHCP server while Toastman disables it.
2. I've noticed Toastman has this file: tomato-F7D3301-1.28.<version>MIPSR2Toastman-RT-Mini.bin. I haven't checked, but perhaps this could be used instead of DD-WRT mini (i.e. directly from Belkin's firmware or CFE) for people who intend to use TomatoUSB from the start.

rated:
bennor said:   
I think someone else in this thread reported problems trying to play HD video via the USB port with either the NAS or Media Server. I would venture to guess the edges of the router's performance is being pushed when trying to run a web server to stream media content from a USB drive to the Roku. When I tried to run HD video from a USB flash drive via the router's Media Server I get frequent hesitations in playback.

Edit to add: Just tried running an HD video file from a 1T USB hard drive and same issue exists, hesitation during playback. HD video runs fine when run from a computer's internal hard drive. Others have reported better USB speed when disabling NTFS. And apparently you can supposedly get better USB speed if the drive is formatted for "ext3".

Good info. Highly compressed HD video should take less than 10Mbps to transmit if decoding is done on the client side. Blu-rays take about 25-35Mbps. Hopefully it's some software/configuration issue that can be resolved. Or perhaps we're just asking too much of a $22 router.

rated:
bennor said:    And apparently you can supposedly get better USB speed if the drive is formatted for "ext3".

I highly recommend using EXT3 formatted drives for better overall performance..

rated:
ct99 said:   
2. I've noticed Toastman has this file: tomato-F7D3301-1.28.<version>MIPSR2Toastman-RT-Mini.bin. I haven't checked, but perhaps this could be used instead of DD-WRT mini (i.e. directly from Belkin's firmware or CFE) for people who intend to use TomatoUSB from the start.

Interesting.. I am willing to test #2, can you provide the link to that file? (I know I am being lazy )

rated:
ct99 said:   

Shibby:
You can look at the table I linked earlier. Basically, all versions support VLAN, all USB versions support NTFS, and ones with VPN in the name support VPN. The note below the table says Mega-VPN is only for routers with more than 8MB flash, but Engineer says it works. So go with Big-VPN or Mega-VPN, depending on your needs.

Some of this is starting to sink in...Of that Big Build, would this version of shibby's work for USB, VPN, NTFS on the belkin router? Or do I need the MIPSR1 version? Not sure about the MIPSR* version with this router but I guess I've installed both R1 and R2 of toastmans so far without knowing what they were for.

tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-MIPSR2-095-Big-VPN.trx This it or do I need something else?

rated:
lernim said:   ct99 said:   

Shibby:

Some of this is starting to sink in...Of that Big Build, would this version of shibby's work for USB, VPN, NTFS on the belkin router? Or do I need the MIPSR1 version? Not sure about the MIPSR* version with this router but I guess I've installed both R1 and R2 of toastmans so far without knowing what they were for.

tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-MIPSR2-095-Big-VPN.trx This it or do I need something else?

As long as it is a K26USB-MIPSR2 build, you should be good..

Tomato Build Types and Naming Convention

Edit: Corrections

rated:
ct99 said:   
Shibby:

Wow, I missed that table. It's working fine but I think I'll downgrade just to make sure. Green for you and thanks.

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   

As long as it is a K26USB-MIPSR2 build, you should be good.. Keep it mind you want the RT, and NOT the RT-N builds.. (RT-N = 5GHz Radio which this router does NOT support)

The RT-N wireless driver is mostly backwards compatible so it "may" work well. It generally works but my be slower. Some have reported it better with faster speeds and more reliable connection. Both drivers support 5GHz band.

rated:
Engineer said:   Hypnosis4u2nv said:   

As long as it is a K26USB-MIPSR2 build, you should be good.. Keep it mind you want the RT, and NOT the RT-N builds.. (RT-N = 5GHz Radio which this router does NOT support)

The RT-N wireless driver is mostly backwards compatible so it "may" work well. It generally works but my be slower. Some have reported it better with faster speeds and more reliable connection. Both drivers support 5GHz band.

It appears you're correct.. The information that I was looking at was related to the router which RT did not support 5GHz.. I might have to try the RT-N drivers and see how they compare to the RT ones.. Thanks for the information!

rated:
Hypnosis4u2nv said:   ct99 said:   

Interesting.. I am willing to test #2, can you provide the link to that file? (I know I am being lazy )

http://www.4shared.com/file/2G2-tagU/tomato-F7D3301-12875002MIPS...

The regular mini (no usb) file is here: http://www.4shared.com/file/6C44LGKY/tomato-K26-12875002MIPSR2To... . If these two files differ only in the first 4 bytes (like I noted here), then maybe the F7D3301 one is the right file. The first 4 bytes should be 0x22 0x03 0x10 0x20 for F7D3301/F7D7301, and "HDR0" for normal DD-WRT/Tomato.

rated:
lernim said:   

I linked the "Big-VPN" version in an earlier post. The Mega one, if you want that instead, can be found in the directory I linked (under build 095). Yes, the "Big" has USB, VPN, VLAN (both virtual wireless and VLAN pages in the GUI), NTFS, and Samba file sharing. That's the firmware I have loaded at the moment, but I haven't tested any of those features myself though. The Mega should have all those plus BT client and minus some features (e.g. NFS, HFS) you can see from that table.

rated:
Engineer said:   ct99 said:   
Shibby:

Wow, I missed that table. It's working fine but I think I'll downgrade just to make sure. Green for you and thanks.

It's probably fine. The size for Mega is 7.6MB, which should fit. I notice each new build gets a bit larger, so I'd guess it's safer to have some headroom in case an upgrade is needed. The Big or Mega each has something the other doesn't, so the choice really depends on one's needs.

rated:
Does the steps to flash the router require it be connected to the WAN? I am wondering because I am trying to flash one and getting nothing the browser. After a 30/30/30, the router light is off upon power up. The gateway address returns a ping, but the browser returns nothing when trying to browse the address.

To start, I just pulled the router out of the box and began with 30/30/30. Do I need to initialize it with the Belkin disc? Can I access Belkin's firmware via browser w/o using the Belkin disc?

rated:
A big thank-you to pianoCM and Gojumpina for your responses. I am up and running Tomato, however I still have some issues/questions.

First of all I have 2 computers, a desktop and a laptop, both pretty new, both running Windows 7 and both have second gen Intel i3 processors, and both are wireless.
My laptop sits on a desk about 2 feet from the router and my desktop is in my den about 25 feet away.
My previous router was a Netgear WNDR2000. When using that router, my desktop showed a steady speed of 72 mbps, and my laptop showed a steady 144 mbps. As I said these were rock solid numbers that never moved.
When I first installed the Belkin software, the speed on both computers became very irratic, costantly fluctuating between 5 mbps and 130 mbps.
Now that I installed Tomato, the desktop has gone from 72 mbps to a steady 150 mbps, rarely dropping into the 130's. However, my laptop seems more irratic than before, fluctuating between 130 mbps and 2 mbps, spending most time near the lower numbers. What could possibly cause this? I moved the laptop right next the desktop and it still happened. Signal strength does not seem to be the cause it happens no matter how strong the signal is.

Another question is re: WPS. Does Tomato have this function, and if so, how do I turn it on?

Last question is re: a usb attached hard drive. Tomato recognizes it as an attached device. How do I access the hard drive for backing up files. Windows does not seem to able to find the hard drive for back-up.
Thanks!

rated:
kamiller42 said:   Does the steps to flash the router require it be connected to the WAN? I am wondering because I am trying to flash one and getting nothing the browser. After a 30/30/30, the router light is off upon power up. The gateway address returns a ping, but the browser returns nothing when trying to browse the address.

Your router should be plugged into your computer via a LAN port.. If your using a notebook, disable wifi..

To start, I just pulled the router out of the box and began with 30/30/30. Do I need to initialize it with the Belkin disc? Can I access Belkin's firmware via browser w/o using the Belkin disc?

You don't need the disc.. The CFE menu is embedded into the chipset..

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014