• filter:
  • 14142 43 4445
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
bennor said:   saturnfive said:   I am using tomato, and am trying to use the usb print feature. My printer is a Brother HL2140, tomato recognizes it, windows recognizes it, but when I hit print, nothing happens. What could be the problem?
See my post above on this page, or the Configure USB Printing in DD-WRT and Tomato link in the Member Summary post to a post earlier in this thread that details how to configure the router, when using TomatoUSB or DD-WRT for USB printers, along with how to configure Windows to access the printer. Make sure to use the IP address for the router when setting up "Standard TCP/IP Port" during the Add Printer process in Windows.

Bennor, or anyone who is good with networking, please help me set this up:

So currently i'm having a N300 (on stock firmware) and a N600 (on ddwrt). I was able to make my multifunction scanner work with the stock firmware on N300. now i want to set both routers in a way that i can have the best of both worlds: all the good stuffs of ddwrt on the N600 and the MF scanning ability of the stock firmware on N300. basically, i want to connect the dd-wrt N600 to my cable modem, wirelessly connect my computer to N600, and figure out a way to connect the N300 to the N600 so that the Belkin USB Print and Storage Center software (installed on my computer) can "see" the N300 and access the MF scanner connected to it.
Any ideas???

rated:
nietsni3 said:   bennor said:   saturnfive said:   I am using tomato, and am trying to use the usb print feature. My printer is a Brother HL2140, tomato recognizes it, windows recognizes it, but when I hit print, nothing happens. What could be the problem?
See my post above on this page, or the Configure USB Printing in DD-WRT and Tomato link in the Member Summary post to a post earlier in this thread that details how to configure the router, when using TomatoUSB or DD-WRT for USB printers, along with how to configure Windows to access the printer. Make sure to use the IP address for the router when setting up "Standard TCP/IP Port" during the Add Printer process in Windows.

Bennor, or anyone who is good with networking, please help me set this up:

So currently i'm having a N300 (on stock firmware) and a N600 (on ddwrt). I was able to make my multifunction scanner work with the stock firmware on N300. now i want to set both routers in a way that i can have the best of both worlds: all the good stuffs of ddwrt on the N600 and the MF scanning ability of the stock firmware on N300. basically, i want to connect the dd-wrt N600 to my cable modem, wirelessly connect my computer to N600, and figure out a way to connect the N300 to the N600 so that the Belkin USB Print and Storage Center software (installed on my computer) can "see" the N300 and access the MF scanner connected to it.
Any ideas???

nietsni3, the easiest way to connect two routers together is to connect them via Ethernet wire via their networking ports. You run an Ethernet wire from one of the N600 networking port to the N300 port, then on the N300 disable the DHCP server. Do not run the Ethernet wire from the N600 to the WAN/Internet port of the N300 if the N300 is still using the Belkin firmware. You will probably have to give the N300 router a static IP address, or assign a static IP address to the N300 in the N600 DHCP server.

If you want to connect the two routers together via wireless, then things become a little more complicated. If both routers are using DD-WRT or TomatoUSB firmware one can setup a wireless client bridge between the two wireless routers. See the following link for more information: DD-WRT Client Bridged

I don't know (or remember) if the Belkin firmware has a "Wireless Bridge" option in the N300 firmware. If not then I don't know if it's possible to setup a client/wireless bridge with the N300 Belkin firmware. Unfortunately, when you flash the N300 to DD-WRT or TomatoUSB you loose the ability to easily access your multifunction printer features beyond the printer portion. There has been discussion both in this thread and elsewhere about using USB over IP and other workaround to try and access multi function printers scanning/faxing features. More information on using a multifunction printer with DD-WRT/TomatoUSB can be found at the following links.
DD-WRT Printer Sharing
DD-WRT USB Multifunction devices
TomatoUSB USB over IP support
The USB/IP Project

rated:
I am using dd-wrt MEGA build 15396.
At first, the router's wireless AP function was not stable. I found the default TX power was 71 mW. After searching this thread, someone said that he/she has better result with TX power 28mW. I set the power to 31 mW. I also need to set the wireless channels to Auto. Probably because there are many routers in my apartment building, it needs to find a good air wave spectrum.

I originally followed djklmnop's setting. But it was not stable. After lowering the TX power to 31 mW, and set wireless channels to Auto, everything works fine with speed at ~ 150Mbps. So I really don't know whether djklmnop's setting is important or not, but I uses his setting also.

djklmnop said: Hey guys, I spent all morning playing around with the settings since my Intel Centrino 1030n wifi card wont connect at anything past 72 Mbps. After a ton of work, it turns out it's the Antenna setting under Wireless > Advanced Setting. Here's what I did:

1. CTS Protection Mode: Disabled
2. TX Antenna: Right
3. RX Antenna: Left
4. Preamble: Auto
5. WMM: Enable
6. Bluetooth CoExistance: Enable
7. Frame Burst: Disabled
8. Afterburner: Auto

rated:
So what is your question?

rated:
I would like to buy one. But the links in OP are not taking me to the right page on Expansys. A search on Expansys shows only model# F7D7302 which is similar but not a gigabit switch as per the comments. Wondering if this is dead or just OOS. Anyone bought recently?

rated:
thought I'd throw another method to upload initial mini firmware to CFE webserver besides using a browser

from a Linux cli using curl the following works

curl --verbose --form upload=@<FIRMWARE-BIN-NAME>.bin --form press=Upload http://192.168.2.1/f2.htm

Example:
curl --verbose --form upload=@dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_f7d7301.bin --form press=Upload http://192.168.2.1/f2.htm

rated:
FYI for anyone still monitoring this thread. Toastman's firmware has been updated to 1.28.7500.4. The firmware can be download from Toastman's 4shared.com account (free registration required).

Change log...
August 15 2012 - 1.28.7500.4
- Add support for RT-N66 64K nvram (RT-N)
- Fix nvram size for router with more than 32kB of nvram (not only 32/64kB)
- Several fixes virtual wireless (MultiSSID)
-Add "wireless" and "wl" optional services:
wireless: stop/start the wireless service, re-initialising the interfaces
wl: load/unload the wl drivers and re-initalise the various wireless interfaces
-Rework virtual wireless configuration page, this commit fixes several issues:
Couldn't delete an entry once it had been created
Any changes made to an existing entry would never survive a reboot (nvram commit wasn't run after clicking on save)
Twice as fast to save and reconfigure (20s vs 10s using new wireless restart service)
- Restore static dhcp users = 250 (This got set back to 140 somehow)
- IPP2P update to 0.99.16

WARNING - DHCP IS DISABLED BY DEFAULT. DON'T FORGET
TO TURN IT ON IF YOU NEED IT.

rated:
Still here.. Thanks Bennor!

rated:
Need help for password login after flashing from DD-WRT to tomato
I flashed from DD-WRT to Tomato but forgot to get the http password via puttytel. Now I cant login after the upgrade.

I also can't reach the CFE page either when I do a 30/30/30 reset. Any suggestions on how to get back into the router?

thanks
BD

rated:
BuonaDomenica said:   Need help for password login after flashing from DD-WRT to tomato
I flashed from DD-WRT to Tomato but forgot to get the http password via puttytel. Now I cant login after the upgrade.

I also can't reach the CFE page either when I do a 30/30/30 reset. Any suggestions on how to get back into the router?

thanks
BD

Just hold the reset button for about 5 seconds, then release it. That should put all settings back to their defaults; the default credentials are root:admin.

rated:
ryangoldstein said:   BuonaDomenica said:   Need help for password login after flashing from DD-WRT to tomato

thanks
BD

Just hold the reset button for about 5 seconds, then release it. That should put all settings back to their defaults; the default credentials are root:admin.

thank you - that did it and I thought it was much more complicated then that. Tomato rocks on this router. I have flashed a total of 4 of these and this is the first time I ran into issues.

rated:
Hey there.
I'm having a problem upgrading dd-wrt (mini, big or mega) to tomato (any versions).
Device: belkin F7D7301 (share max n300)

From CFE page (30/30/30) method upgrade to dd-wrt mini, its works ok and load very quickly.
I tested upgrading to tomato tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.IMIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx because I need BT client and vpn client. It did not work, I tryed with others tomato versions and the result was the same.
I did try to upgrade from big and mega versions and nones works aftwer upgrade.
In all cases the sympthoms its as follows.
From DD-WRT -> go to firmware upagrade -> select tomato desire firmware -> Upgrade button.
300 seconds and the sucefull message appears with the classical buttons (contiune and close).
After that the routers dead!
No led light shinin, nothing.
I did try to go to CFE menus agains , erase NVRAM configuration and reboot, the same result, dead.

Once again into CFE menu, upgrade de dd-wrt minis and works ok.

I did try so:
go to CFE menu and upgrade directly tomatos firmwares from this page, message apear "this is nos a valid firmware image" o similar.

I have not idea how can I proced now.
I read some post in this site and from anothers and do some procedures but the same result I'm getting in.

¿Can anyone helpme? Any idea its welcomed !!! from now thanks for your time to read the post!

rated:
asbentos said:   Hey there.
I'm having a problem upgrading dd-wrt (mini, big or mega) to tomato (any versions).
Device: belkin F7D7301 (share max n300)

From CFE page (30/30/30) method upgrade to dd-wrt mini, its works ok and load very quickly.
I tested upgrading to tomato tomato-K26USB-1.28.7497.IMIPSR2-Toastman-RT-Ext.trx because I need BT client and vpn client. It did not work, I tryed with others tomato versions and the result was the same.
I did try to upgrade from big and mega versions and nones works aftwer upgrade.
In all cases the sympthoms its as follows.
From DD-WRT -> go to firmware upagrade -> select tomato desire firmware -> Upgrade button.
300 seconds and the sucefull message appears with the classical buttons (contiune and close).
After that the routers dead!
No led light shinin, nothing.
I did try to go to CFE menus agains , erase NVRAM configuration and reboot, the same result, dead.

Once again into CFE menu, upgrade de dd-wrt minis and works ok.

I did try so:
go to CFE menu and upgrade directly tomatos firmwares from this page, message apear "this is nos a valid firmware image" o similar.

I have not idea how can I proced now.
I read some post in this site and from anothers and do some procedures but the same result I'm getting in.

¿Can anyone helpme? Any idea its welcomed !!! from now thanks for your time to read the post!

When you flashed to DD-WRT Mini, did you configure your wired computer for a static IP before flashing to DD-WRT Mini?

By default TomatoUSB has the DHCP Server disabled. You must have your computer configured with a static IP (example 192.168.1.8) in order to access the TomatoUSB administration page at 192.168.1.1.

When you flash to TomatoUSB for the first time it may appear the router is dead. It is not. For some simply power cycling the router will bring the status light back up.

There is much more information about flashing including links and suggested troubleshooting information for this router in the Member Summary on page one of this thread.

rated:
Yes, I always use static ip.
I did try with 192.168.1.8 and 192.168.2.1 .

I did left the router start for more than 30 minutes and no light signal.
I did read this Member Summary link before to post, but nothing change.

For me , its cleared that I'm not running some step well, but I can not find wich ones.

I'll try again , nothing to lose!
thank you very much, and I still hear opened for new ideas or suggest.

rated:
I had an issue somewhere along the line and I just unplugged the router and plugged it back in. I may have and/or just hit the reset button, but I think I just powered off and on. I seem to remember it was right about where you are getting stuck. Try just power off/on first, if no joy after that try hit the reset.
Might as well try if you are still having issues.

EDIT: The issue below is not with the firmware version, but my fault in that I typed in a bad subnet number. The router showed my incorrect subnet, but assigned a different (but correct) subnet. It made shares, and the Roku not work, but allowed internet for all machines. Took me a while to see it and I remembered that there are only a few subnets you can use without any worries and my 255.255.25.0 was not one of them.

This is what I used and the router reports..
Router Model Belkin F7D4301 / F7D8301 v1
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/12) big - build 18946M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko

I have not tried USB or many things, but for basic internet/shares..so far all works fine.

Old Issue below:

I have a seperate issue. I used the newest DDWRT firmware and can only use wireless in AP mode. If I set to client (which I need/want) I lose internet. If I switch back to AP, I find the WAN is set to disable, but while in client is is set to DHCP. After reverting, I must enable the WAN and it will work again.

I am trying to figure out the best or newest version that does NTFS and USB for DDWRT or Tomato now since I would like to just do this one more time.</strike>

rated:
Hey people! thanks for read again.

I decided to wirte my procedure just for if anyone (can/wants) to read it and compare with yours.

Some stuff to now.

I'm using virtual box with xp, my lan conecction its directly to the phisical adapter, so its equal to use from the host machine (Xubuntu 12.04 OS).

Always when I change my ip I use ip, subnet and gtw configuration. I did try in anothers oportunities without gtw configuration and the same result was given (the most coherent thing).

Finally, sorry about my poor english, I'm a spanish speaker trying to make it good

Go !

0) reset to default NVRAM values form CFE menu (accesing by 30/30/30 method)
1) from the same menu, flash to F7D7301_WW_1.00.08. (last original belkin's software)
Result: Flashed OK!
2) GO to CFE menu's again using 30/30/30 method (just like step 1) and upload dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_f7d7301
3) Wait for 5 mins or less. Change my ip setup to fixed 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0/GTW 192.168.1.1.
Do a ping 192.168.1.1 and its responds with TTL=64.
4) Go to 192.168.1.1 in my IE browser.
5) The first that appears its for change router pass and user name. For simplicy I use admin for booth (user and pass), Select change button.
6) I note that Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/12) mini its now on my router.
7)Go to Administration, put admin/admin in booth fields. Then go to "firmware upgrade", select "reset to defaul" in After flashing, reset to.
Select the "tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-MIPSR1-100-BT-VPN.trx" in the Select a file to upgrade and then clic in
8) A count down start from 300 seconds to 0. Just wait.
9) Will describe the light behavior: first fixed in yellow, after flashed alternating in orang and yellow for some seconds, again fixed in yellow, start alterate between yellow and orange again.
10)In the IE browser a message appears indicating: "Upgrade successfull. Unit is rebooting now. Please wait a moment... ".
11)In the IE browser another message: All configuration settings have been resotred to theri default values.
If you have changed your router's IP address, please note that you must release/renew your client(s) address(s) on the network.
If you are connected via WLAN, please join the network and then click Continue.

Then clic in continue button.

11) because the default ip of tomato's firm its 192.168.1.1 I do not need to change my ip again.
12) Nothings happen!
13) Unplug the power connector for 30 second (just for try).
14) Plug again. waits till 2 min's and nothings happen.
In cmd, pings indicates that nothing responds to 192.168.1.1 .
15) with the hope that ip its wrong, I change my ip set to 192.2.168.2.10 / 255.255.255.0 and gtw : 192.168.2.1 and try to connect again. Nothing responds (ping and web interface) Nothings happen.
Light still not working.
16) go to CFE menu again (30/30/30), I must change my ip to 192.168.1.1 again ping 192.168.1.1 responds and I go to 192.168.1.1 in the IE Browser.
17) click on restore default NVRAM values , clic in continue y luego Reboot.
18) this device as defaul ip configuration has 192.168.2.1, so I need change my ip again. Leave againt for at least 2 minutes to boot. But nothing.
No light, no ping responde (no web accesing).
19) just for verificate that the default ip to go should be 192.168.2.1 use (30/30/30), yes again! .
20) I can now accesing to CFE menu, so the ip default its now 192.168.2.1.
21) for last time clic in reboot and wait ...
22) nothing responds in 192.168.2.1 and then change my ip again to 192.168.1.1 and nothing responds at this address.
Concluse : it did not work property !

rated:
asbentos said:   Hey people! thanks for read again.

I decided to wirte my procedure just for if anyone (can/wants) to read it and compare with yours.

Some stuff to now.

I'm using virtual box with xp, my lan conecction its directly to the phisical adapter, so its equal to use from the host machine (Xubuntu 12.04 OS).

Always when I change my ip I use ip, subnet and gtw configuration. I did try in anothers oportunities without gtw configuration and the same result was given (the most coherent thing).

Finally, sorry about my poor english, I'm a spanish speaker trying to make it good

Go !

1) from the same menu, flash to F7D7301_WW_1.00.08. (last original belkin's software)
2) GO to CFE menu's again using 30/30/30 method (just like step 1) and upload dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_f7d7301
3) Wait for 5 mins or less. Change my ip setup to fixed 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0/GTW 192.168.1.1.
5) The first that appears its for change router pass and user name. For simplicy I use admin for booth (user and pass), Select change button.
7)Go to Administration, put admin/admin in booth fields. Then go to "firmware upgrade", select "reset to defaul" in After flashing, reset to.
Select the "tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-MIPSR1-100-BT-VPN.trx" in the Select a file to upgrade and then clic in
9) Will describe the light behavior: first fixed in yellow, after flashed alternating in orang and yellow for some seconds, again fixed in yellow, start alterate between yellow and orange again.
10)In the IE browser a message appears indicating: "Upgrade successfull. Unit is rebooting now. Please wait a moment... ".
11)In the IE browser another message: All configuration settings have been resotred to theri default values.
If you have changed your router's IP address, please note that you must release/renew your client(s) address(s) on the network.

11) because the default ip of tomato's firm its 192.168.1.1 I do not need to change my ip again.
12) Nothings happen!
15) with the hope that ip its wrong, I change my ip set to 192.2.168.2.10 / 255.255.255.0 and gtw : 192.168.2.1 and try to connect again. Nothing responds (ping and web interface) Nothings happen.
Light still not working.
16) go to CFE menu again (30/30/30), I must change my ip to 192.168.1.1 again ping 192.168.1.1 responds and I go to 192.168.1.1 in the IE Browser.
18) this device as defaul ip configuration has 192.168.2.1, so I need change my ip again. Leave againt for at least 2 minutes to boot. But nothing.
19) just for verificate that the default ip to go should be 192.168.2.1 use (30/30/30), yes again! .
22) nothing responds in 192.168.2.1 and then change my ip again to 192.168.1.1 and nothing responds at this address.

It appears you are setting your computer's static IP to 192.168.1.1. If so, this is wrong! The ROUTER uses the IP address 192.168.1.1 when you flash this router to DD-WRT Mini or to TomatoUSB for the first time. If both the computer and router have the same IP address you will have problems. The computer's static IP should be set to 192.168.1.8, or any other 192.168.1.x address OTHER than 192.168.1.1.

For those having trouble with flashing or with accessing the administrative pages for DD-WRT and TomatoUSB, see the following link for more suggestions to try.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1182506/m16905939/#m16905939

In particular clear your browser's Cache before flashing. Its important to delete the "temporary internet files" when deleting the browser's Cache. More than once I couldn't access the router until I cleared the browser's Cache.

rated:
asbentos said:   Yes, I always use static ip.
I did try with 192.168.1.8 and 192.168.2.1 .

I did left the router start for more than 30 minutes and no light signal.
I did read this Member Summary link before to post, but nothing change.

For me , its cleared that I'm not running some step well, but I can not find wich ones.

I'll try again , nothing to lose!
thank you very much, and I still hear opened for new ideas or suggest.

Try pressing and holding in the reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds while the router is powered on. Then unplug power, wait one minute, reapply power, wait two minutes and then try to access the router's administrative page again.

For other things to try see the following link...
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1182506/m16905939/#m16905939

Make sure when you are flashing from DD-WRT Mini to TomatoUSB to configure your computer with a static IP address that the static IP is 192.168.1.8, and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, and the gateway is set to 192.168.1.1. Also make sure to clear your browser's Cache before flashing. Its important to delete the "temporary internet files" when deleting the browser's Cache. You may want to also clear the Cache after flashing as a precaution.

rated:
I think I bricked my N600. Please help! Here is what I did. I did a 30-30-30 reset. Changed my IP to 192.168.2.8 and then powered up the router with the WPA button pressed. Got to the CFE page and chose the dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_f7d3301.bin that I have downloaded here. Waited a good 15 minutes. Changed my IP to 192.168.1.8 and my gateway to 192.168.1.1. Now I am stuck. I can't get to 192.168.1.1 in IE. Did a 30-30-30 reset after that and it didn't help. Try changing IP to 192.168.2.8 to see if I still have the belkin firmware and it didn't work. Tried multiple 30-30-30 reset with the ethernet cable on and off. Still no luck. The power light only comes on for like a second and then turn off after I apply power. If I power the router on with the WPA button pressed, the power light would stay on, but still can't get to any pages. Is my router done?

rated:
I just had a subnet problem (I mistyped) the router displayed my incorrect subnet, but actually was giving a totally different (but correct) set of numbers to all the machines. Just making sure you have the static subnet to the default 255.255.255.0 as well as the IP correct.

Basically my setup worked fine for browsing, but shares (and the Roku I think...can't check now the wife is sleeping) did not work. I thought it was the AP setting, but it was the subnet.

rated:
unnamedone said:   I think I bricked my N600. Please help! Here is what I did. I did a 30-30-30 reset. Changed my IP to 192.168.2.8 and then powered up the router with the WPA button pressed. Got to the CFE page and chose the dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_f7d3301.bin that I have downloaded here. Waited a good 15 minutes. Changed my IP to 192.168.1.8 and my gateway to 192.168.1.1. Now I am stuck. I can't get to 192.168.1.1 in IE. Did a 30-30-30 reset after that and it didn't help. Try changing IP to 192.168.2.8 to see if I still have the belkin firmware and it didn't work. Tried multiple 30-30-30 reset with the ethernet cable on and off. Still no luck. The power light only comes on for like a second and then turn off after I apply power. If I power the router on with the WPA button pressed, the power light would stay on, but still can't get to any pages. Is my router done?
This thread is for the Belkin N300 F7D7301 router, not a Belkin N600 router. If you really have an Belkin N300 F7D7301 router, why are you pressing in the WPS button when powering on the router? There is no need to press that button when flashing the router. Follow the basic steps detailed in the Member Summary on the first page of this thread to flash the router.

If you have trouble accessing the router administration page after flashing to DD-WRT or TomatoUSB, try power cycling the router. Also try holding in the reset button for 30 second while the router is powered on then release the reset button and power cycle the router. If you have flashed to DD-WRT Mini, check and ensure your computer is wired to the router and has a static IP address of 192.168.1.8, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and the gateway set to 192.168.1.1. Clear your browser's Cache. Its important to delete the "temporary internet files" when deleting the browser's Cache. See this link for more suggestions.

rated:
bennor said:   unnamedone said:   I think I bricked my N600. Please help! Here is what I did. I did a 30-30-30 reset. Changed my IP to 192.168.2.8 and then powered up the router with the WPA button pressed. Got to the CFE page and chose the dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_f7d3301.bin that I have downloaded here. Waited a good 15 minutes. Changed my IP to 192.168.1.8 and my gateway to 192.168.1.1. Now I am stuck. I can't get to 192.168.1.1 in IE. Did a 30-30-30 reset after that and it didn't help. Try changing IP to 192.168.2.8 to see if I still have the belkin firmware and it didn't work. Tried multiple 30-30-30 reset with the ethernet cable on and off. Still no luck. The power light only comes on for like a second and then turn off after I apply power. If I power the router on with the WPA button pressed, the power light would stay on, but still can't get to any pages. Is my router done?
This thread is for the Belkin N300 F7D7301 router, not a Belkin N600 router. If you really have an Belkin N300 F7D7301 router, why are you pressing in the WPS button when powering on the router? There is no need to press that button when flashing the router. Follow the basic steps detailed in the Member Summary on the first page of this thread to flash the router.

If you have trouble accessing the router administration page after flashing to DD-WRT or TomatoUSB, try power cycling the router. Also try holding in the reset button for 30 second while the router is powered on then release the reset button and power cycle the router. If you have flashed to DD-WRT Mini, check and ensure your computer is wired to the router and has a static IP address of 192.168.1.8, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and the gateway set to 192.168.1.1. Clear your browser's Cache. Its important to delete the "temporary internet files" when deleting the browser's Cache. See this link for more suggestions.

Sorry for asking questions about N600 here, but the N600 thread is not active and it points to here for information. Anyway, it seems like my router is in some weird state. After walking away from it last night with the power off, it came back to live this morning. I was able to get to 192.168.1.1 and change the admin password. Then I got to the dd-wrt page. I tried to check my wireless setting by clicking on the wireless tab. It did not respond and the router turned into a brick again. Can't get back to 192.168.1.1 and would not respond to ping. Waited half an hour just in case it was rebooting. Nothing changed. Did various combination of 30-30-30 reset and power cycle. No luck at all. And then I left it power off for a couple of hours again. Same password change page show up (from the reset?). After changing the password, it "bricked" again. Right now I am leaving it off without doing any reset and see what happen when I turn it back on. Any idea what is going on? Do I have a bad router? I really want to get this router to work. Thanks for your help.

rated:
asbentos said:   Select the "tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-MIPSR1-100-BT-VPN.trx" in the Select a file to upgrade and then clic in It looks like you're trying Shibby's build for the BT client. You need the file for R2, e.g. tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-MIPSR2-100-BT-VPN.trx, not R1. After flashing to Tomato, the bootup process takes 2 to 5 minutes. There's no light during this period. The light should come on if the firmware is loaded. Shibby's build has DHCP server enabled by default, so you can use dynamic IP once the light comes on (should be green).

Also note that if you use IPv6, it's best to stick with Shibby's build 97 for now. Builds 99 and 100 introduced a memory leak issue that will cause router reboots with IPv6. The problem seems to come from the VLAN fix. Version 7500.4 of Toastman's VLAN build also has this problem. The devs are still working on this issue. Check the thread here for more info.

rated:
unnamedone said:   bennor said:   unnamedone said:   I think I bricked my N600. Please help! Here is what I did. I did a 30-30-30 reset. Changed my IP to 192.168.2.8 and then powered up the router with the WPA button pressed. Got to the CFE page and chose the dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_f7d3301.bin that I have downloaded here. Waited a good 15 minutes. Changed my IP to 192.168.1.8 and my gateway to 192.168.1.1. Now I am stuck. I can't get to 192.168.1.1 in IE. Did a 30-30-30 reset after that and it didn't help. Try changing IP to 192.168.2.8 to see if I still have the belkin firmware and it didn't work. Tried multiple 30-30-30 reset with the ethernet cable on and off. Still no luck. The power light only comes on for like a second and then turn off after I apply power. If I power the router on with the WPA button pressed, the power light would stay on, but still can't get to any pages. Is my router done?

Sorry for asking questions about N600 here, but the N600 thread is not active and it points to here for information. Anyway, it seems like my router is in some weird state. After walking away from it last night with the power off, it came back to live this morning. I was able to get to 192.168.1.1 and change the admin password. Then I got to the dd-wrt page. I tried to check my wireless setting by clicking on the wireless tab. It did not respond and the router turned into a brick again. Can't get back to 192.168.1.1 and would not respond to ping. Waited half an hour just in case it was rebooting. Nothing changed. Did various combination of 30-30-30 reset and power cycle. No luck at all. And then I left it power off for a couple of hours again. Same password change page show up (from the reset?). After changing the password, it "bricked" again. Right now I am leaving it off without doing any reset and see what happen when I turn it back on. Any idea what is going on? Do I have a bad router? I really want to get this router to work. Thanks for your help.

Is DD-WRT even supported on your N600 model? If not that might explain your problems. Flashing the wrong firmware or unsupported firmware may brick the router (any router). You may have better luck searching and or posting to the DD-WRT support forum DD-WRT Support Forum on your N600 router.

rated:
The N600 appears to have the same hardware as the N300 albeit the dual band radio.. I don't think there should be any problem running the same firmware that we run, although I would use the RT-N versions for the N600..

rated:
The following does not apply to N300, i.e. F7D7301 or F7D3301.

unnamedone said:   I think I bricked my N600.Like bennor said, this thread is for F7D7301/F7D3301, i.e. N300. Not all info applies to N600. If your router is F7D8301/F7D4301 (check bottom), you don't need to load the DD-WRT F7D7301 or F7D3301 mini build. I believe the F7D8301/F7D4301 uses the generic Broadcom firmware header, so you should be able to load the generic firmware builds (no model number in the name) directly from CFE or from Belkin's firmware. But I don't know for sure, as I don't have a F7D8301 personally.

To deal with your problem, you need to get into the CFE and flash a proper firmware. Again, I don't have your router, so don't blame me if something doesn't work as expected. To get into the CFE:
1) power off the router.
2) hold WPS button (I think reset also works but not sure), apply power to router, and continue holding the button for 10 seconds after power is applied; router should be in CFE at this point and should be pingable at its default address (192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1 depending on the firmware default).
3) set your PC (directly connected to router with cable) statically to 192.168.2.10/255.255.255.0 with gateway 192.168.2.1 and access 192.168.2.1 with IE. If 192.168.2.X doesn't work, try 192.168.1.X.
Now, if the CFE page comes up, flash a proper firmware and wait for the firmware to boot. The booting time takes several minutes. If the firmware works, the light should eventually come on. From there you should be able to proceed normally. Good luck.

rated:
ct99 said:   The following does not apply to N300, i.e. F7D7301 or F7D3301.

unnamedone said:   I think I bricked my N600.Like bennor said, this thread is for F7D7301/F7D3301, i.e. N300. Not all info applies to N600. If your router is F7D8301/F7D4301 (check bottom), you don't need to load the DD-WRT F7D7301 or F7D3301 mini build. I believe the F7D8301/F7D4301 uses the generic Broadcom firmware header, so you should be able to load the generic firmware builds (no model number in the name) directly from CFE or from Belkin's firmware. But I don't know for sure, as I don't have a F7D8301 personally.

To deal with your problem, you need to get into the CFE and flash a proper firmware. Again, I don't have your router, so don't blame me if something doesn't work as expected. To get into the CFE:
1) power off the router.
2) hold WPS button (I think reset also works but not sure), apply power to router, and continue holding the button for 10 seconds after power is applied; router should be in CFE at this point and should be pingable at its default address (192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1 depending on the firmware default).
3) set your PC (directly connected to router with cable) statically to 192.168.2.10/255.255.255.0 with gateway 192.168.2.1 and access 192.168.2.1 with IE. If 192.168.2.X doesn't work, try 192.168.1.X.
Now, if the CFE page comes up, flash a proper firmware and wait for the firmware to boot. The booting time takes several minutes. If the firmware works, the light should eventually come on. From there you should be able to proceed normally. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. But the more I play with this router, the more I think the router itself is defective. It seems like the router would work for the first 10 seconds or so after a long power off. The same thing happen with the CFE page. It shows up but it stops responding after I chose my firmware file. I hit refresh and I can't get back to the CFE page again.

From what I've read, N600 should flash just like N300 except the WPA button and uses the firmware with no suffix. I have never had such bad luck with flashing anything. I think I am ready to throw in the towel.

rated:
Yes sure. My type mistake.
I did never set my ip as 192.168.1.1, a zero character lack ! I did mean 192.168.1.10.
I'll try your comments and I'll let you know how its results!
Thanks!

rated:
I think that is you upgraded to wrt firmwares you should able to use DHCP for get ip set.
Try it.
I really do not think that the router its bricked.
If it does not work, try with flashing again.
Good lock!
Andrés

rated:
I know it has been a few years since I loaded dd-wrt on my WRT54G-TM, but I cannot find a download at dd-wrt.com for my N600, or even an N300. I go to the downloads link and it brings up a router database search. I put in "bel" and it doesn't show anything for either N300 or N600. What am I missing?

rated:
gadgetman said:   I know it has been a few years since I loaded dd-wrt on my WRT54G-TM, but I cannot find a download at dd-wrt.com for my N600, or even an N300. I go to the downloads link and it brings up a router database search. I put in "bel" and it doesn't show anything for either N300 or N600. What am I missing?
Links to firmware for the N300 are located in the Member Summary on the first page.. These routers use the generic firmware for the Broadcom chip they use..

rated:
unnamedone said:   Thanks for the reply. But the more I play with this router, the more I think the router itself is defective. It seems like the router would work for the first 10 seconds or so after a long power off. The same thing happen with the CFE page. It shows up but it stops responding after I chose my firmware file. I hit refresh and I can't get back to the CFE page again.

From what I've read, N600 should flash just like N300 except the WPA button and uses the firmware with no suffix. I have never had such bad luck with flashing anything. I think I am ready to throw in the towel.

Set up the correct static IP on your PC. Power off the router. Start pinging the router's address continuously. Hold the WPS (for N600, use reset for N300) while powering up to get into the CFE. The router should respond to pings once CFE is loaded (TTL=100, IIRC) in about 4 to 8 seconds. If you do nothing else at this point, does the router still respond to pings? When you hit "Upload" (or whatever it is) after selecting a firmware file, does the file transfer commence? If you have any network/transfer monitor on the PC, you should see upload activity. If the router responds to pings but there's no upload activity, the firmware transfer did not begin. Using Firefox (or maybe another browser) does this. Internet Explorer should work. While in CFE, the router should respond to pings before it reboots. If you get but then lose response from ping before the router reboots, then there might be something weird in hardware. I kinda doubt that. Follow bennor's advice regarding browser Cache. Also, try another PC if you can. Restoring NVRAM values before loading a firmware is also a good idea in this case. If file upload works but the router still can't properly boot, try going back to Belkin's firmware. Then you should know if the hardware is at fault.

rated:
I don't see a Member Summary.

rated:
ct99 said:   unnamedone said:   Thanks for the reply. But the more I play with this router, the more I think the router itself is defective. It seems like the router would work for the first 10 seconds or so after a long power off. The same thing happen with the CFE page. It shows up but it stops responding after I chose my firmware file. I hit refresh and I can't get back to the CFE page again.

Set up the correct static IP on your PC. Power off the router. Start pinging the router's address continuously. Hold the WPS while powering up to get into the CFE. The router should respond to pings once CFE is loaded (TTL=100, IIRC) in about 4 to 8 seconds. If you do nothing else at this point, does the router still respond to pings? When you hit "Upload" (or whatever it is) after selecting a firmware file, does the file transfer commence? If you have any network/transfer monitor on the PC, you should see upload activity. If the router responds to pings but there's no upload activity, the firmware transfer did not begin. Using Firefox (or maybe another browser) does this. Internet Explorer should work. While in CFE, the router should respond to pings before it reboots. If you get but then lose response from ping before the router reboots, then there might be something weird in hardware. I kinda doubt that. Follow bennor's advice regarding browser Cache. Also, try another PC if you can. Restoring NVRAM values before loading a firmware is also a good idea in this case. If file upload works but the router still can't properly boot, try going back to Belkin's firmware. Then you should know if the hardware is at fault.

Got on a different computer. Cleared IE Cache. Downloaded a fresh copy of the firmware from http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=78042 . Got to the CFE page. Hit reset NVRAM. Router turned into "bricked" state again. Power off for an hour. Now the CFE page is 192.168.2.1. Ping shows "Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=100". Very quickly chose my firmware (before the router "brick" again). It said upload completed and router will reboot. Ping turned into "Request timed out" after the reboot message shows. The steady green light on the router did not turn off (did not reboot?). Waited 20 minutes. Could not get to 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1. Router is in the "bricked" state again.

I almost want to conclude the volatile memory is bad. It kinda explains why powering the router off for an hour make it alive again, but not a brief 30 sec power off. Anyway, just downloaded the belkin firmware and will try to flash tomorrow. I guess the lesson here is make sure the router works out of the box before flashing...

rated:
If you can access the CFE page the router is not bricked. From the CFE page one can always reload the original Belkin firmware to get their router back up and running when the DD-WRT/TomatoUSB firmware doesn't work. Not every router is officially supported by DD-WRT. Some DD-WRT/TomatoUSB fimware is designed for specific routers or specific wireless chips, ensure your using a recommended firmware for your router. While DD-WRT has a Router Database, it is not accurate on what is supported (and by which firmware) and what isn't.

When it comes to flashing Broadcom chip based routers with DD-WRT firmware, DD-WRT experts recommend that one reads the Peacock Thread-FAQ before flashing the router. In fact the Peacock Thread even recommends ignoring what is listed in the DD-WRT Router Database.

Over on the DD-WRT forum there are several threads that deal with trying to flash the N600. And there are reports of users having trouble flashing the Belkin N600 routers.
Belkin Play Max F7D4301v1 now partially supported
Belkin F7D8301 v1 not bringing up CFE browser on 30/30/30
New Belkin Routers (04/2010)

rated:

rated:
asbentos said:   Hey people! thanks for read again.

Some stuff to now.

Go !

3) Wait for 5 mins or less. Change my ip setup to fixed 192.168.1.10/255.255.255.0/GTW 192.168.1.1.

12) Nothings happen!
Light still not working.
16) go to CFE menu again (30/30/30), I must change my ip to 192.168.1.10 again ping 192.168.1.1 responds and I go to 192.168.1.1 in the IE Browser.

Hey People! I'm still stacking here!
I did try with anothers tomato versions but nothing changes.

Let me tell you. No wrong ip set, no browser Cache problem, different versions of tomato go to the same scenary->Aparently brickled!

I really tired.

¿Do you know about another alternative for use USB storage and BT client different to dd-wrt or tomato?

I did test a lot of combination and the same result always.
I suppouse that routers hardware's has a badfunctionality or anything else.

DD-WRT's firmwares upgrade successfull but USB and BT client are not so easy to configurate and make it run.

rated:
asbentos said:   Hey People! I'm still stacking here!
I did try with anothers tomato versions but nothing changes.

Let me tell you. No wrong ip set, no browser Cache problem, different versions of tomato go to the same scenary->Aparently brickled!

I really tired.

¿Do you know about another alternative for use USB storage and BT client different to dd-wrt or tomato?

I did test a lot of combination and the same result always.
I suppouse that routers hardware's has a badfunctionality or anything else.

DD-WRT's firmwares upgrade successfull but USB and BT client are not so easy to configurate and make it run.

Yes, there are other firmwares like OpenWrt. But if you can't get TomatoUSB going, the other choices will be much much harder.
Shibby's Tomato is your best bet. I am not sure why your setup is giving you trouble, as most people have no problem loading TomatoUSB once they get DD-WRT installed. Since you have no trouble using CFE, you can try going straight to TomatoUSB:
1) Download this file: http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26/build5x-097-EN/tomato-K26USB... .
MD5= 243006275C1B78F319F86FC2B0AD98BA
2) Use a hex editor to replace (not insert) the first 4 bytes from 0x48 0x44 0x52 0x30 to 0x22 0x03 0x10 0x20.
new MD5= 57E9EBE7C231B7E0005BCF765CE6801D
3) Go into CFE. Using Internet Explorer, upload the file from step 2. After roughly 38 seconds (depending on transfer speed), uploading is completed and the router reboots. Close Internet Explorer.
4) Wait at least 3 minutes and 4 seconds. The front LED is not lit during this time.
5) After waiting enough time, the front LED should become amber or orange. Wait another 6 seconds. The LED becomes green.

If you get this far, the firmware is running. Set your PC for dynamic IP and you should get an IP in 192.168.1.X. If the LED never comes on, then the firmware is not working. You would need to go back to CFE to reload a working firmware.

rated:
unnamedone said:   Got on a different computer. Cleared IE Cache. Downloaded a fresh copy of the firmware from http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=78042 . Got to the CFE page. Hit reset NVRAM. Router turned into "bricked" stage again. Power off for an hour. Now the CFE page is 192.168.2.1. Ping shows "Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=100". Very quickly chose my firmware (before the router "brick" again). It said upload completed and router will reboot. Ping turned into "Request timed out" after the reboot message shows. The steady green light on the router did not turn off (did not reboot?). Waited 20 minutes. Could not get to 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1. Router is in the "bricked" stage again.

I almost want to conclude the volatile memory is bad. It kinda explains why powering the router off for an hour make it alive again, but not a brief 30 sec power off. Anyway, just downloaded the belkin firmware and will try to flash tomorrow. I guess the lesson here is make sure the router works out of the box before flashing...

After NVRAM is cleared, the router is probably fine. It just expects communication at 192.168.2.1 because that's Belkin's default. You shouldn't need to wait an hour either. After a firmware is uploaded and pings time out, the router reboots. A successful boot should take no more than 5 minutes (unless that firmware has too many services to run at startup). If there's no sign of life at 192.168.2.1 or at 192.168.1.1 or with the LED, then either the firmware didn't boot properly or there's some strange setting in NVRAM to cause the router to act unexpectedly. You should be able to go into the CFE consistently to load another firmware, however.

rated:
ct99 said:   unnamedone said:   Got on a different computer. Cleared IE Cache. Downloaded a fresh copy of the firmware from http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=78042 . Got to the CFE page. Hit reset NVRAM. Router turned into "bricked" stage again. Power off for an hour. Now the CFE page is 192.168.2.1. Ping shows "Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=100". Very quickly chose my firmware (before the router "brick" again). It said upload completed and router will reboot. Ping turned into "Request timed out" after the reboot message shows. The steady green light on the router did not turn off (did not reboot?). Waited 20 minutes. Could not get to 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1. Router is in the "bricked" stage again.

After NVRAM is cleared, the router is probably fine. It just expects communication at 192.168.2.1 because that's Belkin's default. You shouldn't need to wait an hour either. After a firmware is uploaded and pings time out, the router reboots. A successful boot should take no more than 5 minutes (unless that firmware has too many services to run at startup). If there's no sign of life at 192.168.2.1 or at 192.168.1.1 or with the LED, then either the firmware didn't boot properly or there's some strange setting in NVRAM to cause the router to act unexpectedly. You should be able to go into the CFE consistently to load another firmware, however.

Well, you won't believe this. After I got home from work today, the router just started working with the dd-wrt that I flashed last night. It has been running for an hour without hanging. Thanks for everyone's help!

Edit- alright I will leave this thread alone now since I have a N600 instead. Thanks again!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014