• 141424344 45
  • Page
  • Text Only
Enjoying this N300 for the past 6 months. I have it set up as a Repeater Bridge and now I have great connectivity in other parts of the house. I have noticed that the network speed is slower. Now I want to move my original Linksys e2000 more centrally and get faster speed to all of the PC's by eliminating the Repeater. I still want to use the N300 but only as a NAS. I see the settings for "Setting Up NAS with DD-WRT" but only want to use it as a NAS. Using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/12),(SVN revision 18946M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko)
Can someone help with the Wireless and Router settings?
Thanks....

If I understand the question right you want to use the N300 as an NAS device and connect it wirelessly to another router. If this is the case follow the steps to configure DD-WRT for NAS. Then you can try configuring DD-WRT into Client Mode.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

Keep in mind however that in wireless Client Mode the wireless speed may be reduced since all traffic to the router would be going over the wireless connection. Such a downgrade in wireless speed may affect the ability to stream media content from the NAS storage.

It might be better to simply connect the N300 configured for NAS to the other router via their networking ports (using an Ethernet cable), then simply disable the DHCP server within DD-WRT on the N300. DD-WRT even has the option of turning the router's WAN/Internet port into another networking port, giving the N300 five networking ports rather than four.

I would like to know if any of you have successfully setup access point+wds using two of this router. I follow instructions from:

http://www.howtogeek.com/104007/how-to-extend-your-wireless-netw...

However, I am not able to get it to work. No connectivity on the node. Primary router appears to b fine

Bhagwan said:   It is possible to un-brick this router using a Jtag. I know because I've done it. Took me three days to figure it out however and you have to make or buy a hardware interface cable. In my case I made it out of an old printer cable and an old IDE cable + some resistors. You need to be somewhat nutty like me to waste so much time on a $20 router though.
Could you please send me some information about how can i un-brick it. Is it possible with Srial connection and JTAG? Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

Hey, does anybody have a definitive firmware for accessing a printer via the N300's usb? I just unboxed mine after 6 months(got it for 17.99$) on Expansys and want to see if this has been addressed. Oh i also need ntfs HD access. Any suggestions? I have read alot,just have not seen a definitive answer.

Anyone think they can help? Tried it 8 times now, 6 with IPV4 IP and gateway settings adjusted (1 with IP and subnet settings adjusted), and just keep getting regular belkin menu instead of CFE menu (tried 29s, 30s, 31s, 32s, 35s...).
Also, having a heck of a time figuring out what's the right firmware to use. I've spent hours reading different threads. Looked over dd-wrt and tomato sites, and can't even find admission that any of them work with a Belkin F7D8301 v1 (not listed under supported devices anyway). Yes, I know it's not the one being discussed here, but this thread had better description of the process than most.

Update: ended up installing older dd-wrt mini directly from Belkin menu (NOT CFE, and no 30/30/30 before hand), according to another post I read. It's running, but still trying to figure what tomato version to use. Even though it's six months old, I'd have used the one linked in another thread, but the link is no longer even good. Only think I can figure is to use the kernal 26 version (K26), and that's only guesswork.

PS. Still never saw CFE menu

My sharemax N300 just seems to have died on me?

The wireless wouldn't connect on my mothers kindle and then it would connect and drop on my iphone 4s......

I power cycle the modem to no avail, still doing these things. So I held in the reset button on the back. Still doing the same crap.
As I was in the middle of formatting my PC and installing windows 8 I left it go.

Plugged Ethernet into my PC after windows 8 started up for the first time and no internet... I figured well damn windows 8 is goofed up on me. Turns out by
plugging directly into my cable modem that I'm back online. So now my sharemax N300 is really screwing up.

Any diagnostical testing? I did have this flashed to Tomato firmware...

I had the power adapter go on mine, could be the same issue you have..

Have mine under the carport as a repeater bridge still going fingers crossed it holds up

I couldn't get it working to save my life. I tried the 30/30/30 reset and no dice. I couldn't log onto it no matter what I tried.

I bought two of these, so I got the other one out of the box and flashed it with DD-WRT mini. Everything is working like it should now.

Hopefully this one lasts longer then the first one did, but hey for $20 what do you want.

I did try the new plug with the old router and it still wouldn't work. It was sometimes not showing any activity with the light on the top after unplugging / replugging
it in so I figure it just took a dump on me. Oh well.

I had two also.. Call Belkin.. They sent me a brand new N900, although I wish I had the N300 I sent them..

I'm going to have to dig it out of the trash, but it they will send me an N900 it is well worth it! That's one sweet looking router!

i had this happened once. i just reflashed it with the same version of ddwrt and that seemed to have fixed it. btw, before i could even do this, i had to go back to the stock firmware from belkin using CFE, then reflash with ddwrt.

"My sharemax N300 just seems to have died on me?"

Luckily it was in a shopping bag that i had of stuff I wanted to chuck out of my room. So it's no big deal.

The only problem with that is that I can't even get this thing to connect at all. I can't log into the router.

I'm just going to call belkin and see whats up. If they will send me an N900 then I'm fine with that.

I told them I needed the gigabit ports and dual USB ports for a replacement. Make sure you have your receipt too, they will ask for it.. This model is discontinued and the the N900 isn't DD-WRT or Tomato supported.. It's hard to beat a router with the features these custom firmwares give. I picked up two units of the model listed on the OP because of that..

What was wrong with the router? Did you have to pay for return shipping? I feel like my router is on it's last legs. Both stock and dd-wrt/tomato builds don't seem to make a difference. It goes off and won't come back on till a few days later.

The wall wart went bad..

So how did you handle the call to Belkin? Did they offer a free replacement and did you have to pay return shipping? TIA.

They offered a replacement, but they couldn't give me the same router so they offered me a N600.. Told them that it didn't have the 2 USB ports and they told me they would ship me out the N900.. I don't recall if I paid return shipping, but for a $100 retail router shelling out $6 to ship it back was a no brainer.. I still have it sitting in a box unopened, like I said earlier, I would love to have the N300 back instead.. DDWRT and Tomato add so much more functionality than even the newest routers out there..

I wasted an hour on the phone with someone in India for belkin support. They had me go through all kinds of diagnostical crap and finally agreed to send me a replacement. They took down my information and told me that I would get an email instructing me on how to proceed with the return. They never emailed me and I've wasted enough time on this junker.

I say junker, because I set the second router up and it worked fine for oh about four days and now its doing the EXACT same THING!

I went to WalMart and bought a netgear N600, seems like a much better product. I might mess with reflashing these crapo sharemax routers, but I'll probably just pitch them in the garbage.

[Q.................. but I'll probably just pitch them in the garbage..........

getting on SOAPBOX
you don't have electronics recycling where you live?
freecycle, etc

Called up Belkin and they offered to replace the router with the exact same model. Surprising but I expect that they will send me a refurb and I still have to pay for shipping. Not a bad option, don't know if you want to try calling again.

Make sure it's not the F7D7302 model.. I haven't seen any refurbished 7301s so I'm a little suspect..

I am using a Belkin share max N300 Router I am facing a big problem when i connect my router with Ethernet cable i can access my USB drive But when i connect over Wifi I find my HDD but unable to access my Hdd So pLs help ,, Me ...

Just got the router over the weekend, it was an F7d7301 brand new in box. Going to flash Tomato on it and hope this one runs better than the last one I got.

I have the N300 with Firmware: dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin and an external 1TB FAT32 USB drive. Ive tried an NTFS drive also. I've reinstalled the f/w but can't navigate to the drive on my XP computer. Using Win Explorer I can see the Workgroup and a drive called 192.168.1.1(Dd-wrt). I named the drive RouterHD. I get this error "Workgroup is not accessible. The network path was not found. I can access everything on my iPad. I also have a WDTVlive with a 1TB drive atttached and can navigate properly to it
USB settings....
Disk Info
--- /dev/discs/disc0/disc
Block device, size 961 MiB (1007681536 bytes)
DOS/MBR partition map
Partition 1: 961.0 MiB (1007665152 bytes, 1968096 sectors from 32, bootable)
Type 0x0B (Win95 FAT32)
Windows NTLDR boot loader
FAT32 file system (hints score 4 of 5)
Volume size 959.1 MiB (1005682688 bytes, 245528 clusters of 4 KiB)

Any ideas?

I have an N300 and have an issue I need to fix but the router does not allow me to get into the SPI firewall settings.

So I'm looking to flash it - however, all the successful attempts at flashing the N300 I've read are using the model f7d3301.

My N300 is not this model (and flashing doesn't work, I get "file too big" if I try using that f7d3301 version of dd-wrt) - it is the UK model F9J1002.

I cannot find this model in the dd-wrt router database - does this mean it is not possible to flash my N300..? Other googling hasn't turned up much about this model either. I assumed an N300 was an N300 was an N300, but it seems not...

Thanks.

Have you guys tried removing the base from the router?

Just updated to the latest shibby (Tomato Firmware 1.28.0000 MIPSR2-112 K26 USB Big-VPN) and it works even better.

I just wish tomato would get DUAL WAN, as I want to load balance with another ISP.

A quick note, I didn't fully read the instructions and flashed the "dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_f7d3301.bin" file as though it was factory firmware through the belkin interface and it worked fine. Got me into dd wrt and I was able to move to tomato. It is not the best method, but it did in fact work.

Danzilla said:   Anyone think they can help? Tried it 8 times now, 6 with IPV4 IP and gateway settings adjusted (1 with IP and subnet settings adjusted), and just keep getting regular belkin menu instead of CFE menu (tried 29s, 30s, 31s, 32s, 35s...).
Also, having a heck of a time figuring out what's the right firmware to use. I've spent hours reading different threads. Looked over dd-wrt and tomato sites, and can't even find admission that any of them work with a Belkin F7D8301 v1 (not listed under supported devices anyway). Yes, I know it's not the one being discussed here, but this thread had better description of the process than most.

Update: ended up installing older dd-wrt mini directly from Belkin menu (NOT CFE, and no 30/30/30 before hand), according to another post I read. It's running, but still trying to figure what tomato version to use. Even though it's six months old, I'd have used the one linked in another thread, but the link is no longer even good. Only think I can figure is to use the kernal 26 version (K26), and that's only guesswork.

PS. Still never saw CFE menu

Shibby's http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26/build5x-112-EN/tomato-K26USB... 

Add a 4gb or so flashdrive and install "entware" which is the newer version of "optware".  Use a powered usb hub to give yourself more ports.  The sky's the limit with tomatousb on this router.

Looking for suggestions, I can't access the router!

I thought I was in CFE mode but after now reading other descriptions of CFE mode I may have just been logged into the router "as normal". I navigated to the option to upgrade the firmware and used the shibby tomato "tomato-F7D3302-1.28.MIPSR2-Mini.bin" file. It ran through ok and rebooted and I was able to connect into the tomato firmware successfully using admin/admin.

I then went to the upgrade section and used the shibby "tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-MIPSR1-112-Big-VPN.trx" file. It ran through and rebooted, however I cannot connect to the router after this. I have read that I should be able to connect to it using ip address 192.168.1.1, I have read my machine needs a static IP address of 192.168.1.10 (and DNS set to 192.168.1.1). I have tried every combination of IP addresses I have seen mentioned in various guides. I have tried both in and out of CFE mode (which I now recognize as when the light does not come on on the front).

Has anybody any ideas where I go from here?

Thanks.

FYI - My N300 is still going strong but as it didn't have dual radios I only use it as a router. I did get an N600 but after a very short time the sucker died. Note I had tried to upgrade it's antennas. Anyway, Belkin replaced it but with an N900, issue here is that there are no 3rd party firmware for them at this time. So I use that one as an AP and serves both G and N using both radios. The N300 is used for routing with dd-wrt. I'm using the version on the wiki.

The router DB shows that we could use build 21061 - anyone has upgrade and/or see any issues?

For anyone having issues, I was having major issues until I realized that the Google Chrome Browser was causing issues while loading firmware. I used IE on the next few loads of TomatoUSB on different brand routers without a hitch.

bennor said:   
ct99 said:   
Read a bit more about it... it doesn't appear PHP is necessary. But I think DD-WRT's built-in httpd doesn't support directory listing, so installation of lighttpd or equivalent is probably needed. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Edited original post that indicated I couldn't get the lighttpd web server portion working.

Success! Was able to get the Roku to access media files on a flash drive via the router's USB port. Optware and Lighttpd have to be installed. I am currently running the tomato-K26USB-1.28.7500.2MIPSR2Toastman-RT-VPN firmware. If your running DD-WRT the steps may be slightly different. I tried to include all the steps/information that I found and used in this post. I do not know what security risks or operating risks these changes may induce on the router so beware. Note: Proceed at your own risk!!! If you bork or brick your router, don't blame me.

I started by using the directions from the following links...
http://tomatousb.org/tut:optware-installation 
http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-282372/lighttpd-on-tomato-usb#post-919219 
ETA: Forgot to include this link: http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=131&Itemid=54 

I partitioning a 4GB flash drive into two partitions, one called "optware" and the second called "Media". The optware partition was configured to 1GB and the Media partition was configured with the remaining space on the flash drive. Both partitions were created and formatted for "ext3" using the free program MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition on a Windows 7 PC.

If you get a wget error when attempting to download the Optware package to the router, make sure you have DNS servers entered into the Basic -> Network page of TomatoUSB.

Activated File Sharing to add the directory /opt from the flash drive (named it "opt") and gave it read/write access so when editing files they can be saved. File Sharing for Opt can removed once you have successfully configured the Roku to access the media. Created the folders Music, Photos, Videos in the partition Media.

When manually editing the lighttpd.conf file I set mine to the following, some settings are the default settings some are not. Uncommenting out means I deleted the "#" before the entry.
Lighttpd.conf left Server Port at 8081
Lighttpd.conf server.document-root = "/opt/share/www/lighttpd/"
Lighttpd.conf Change server.bind to 192.168.1.1 but left the line commented out
Uncommented out server.event-handler = "poll", errors on log
Uncommented out the following server.modules: "mod_alias", "mod_access", "mod_auth", "mod_fastcgi", "mod_accesslog".

Used the info from this URL to map the media folder(/tmp/mnt/Media) on the flash drive.
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=35279 

I rebooted the router at several points along the way. Including one power cycle after updating the lighttpd.conf file.

Add the Roksbox channel to the Roku with this URL....
https://owner.roku.com/add/P1KWQ

Once the channel has been installed to the Roku (may have to enter and leave the Channel Store) launch the Roksbox channel. There is a 30 day trial. Start Roksbox. Next navigate to Options, select My Options, select Setup Wizard, select Web Server. The select Continue to step through the wizard.

Note when running through the Roksbox wizard, I had to manually enter my IP address and port for the router/lighttpd URL: 192.168.1.1:8081. For all other settings I used the default settings since my folder structure was Media with subfolders Photos, Videos, Music.

Edit to add: I have not tried streaming large HD quality video to the Roku from the router. Only had time to test some SD quality files that played fine via wireless on the Roku.

Wow still loving this router. Just getting around to using the external drive with my Roku xs, but for the life of me can't figure out the telnet instructions....did you do this in linux? Can the whole thing be installed from windows? Even optware for noobs is making me feel it's over my head lol. Help

lernim said:   still loving this router. Just getting around to using the external drive with my Roku xs, but for the life of me can't figure out the telnet instructions....did you do this in linux? Can the whole thing be installed from windows? Even optware for noobs is making me feel it's over my head lol. Help

Wow surprised this thread is still going. Just noticed this post. There is a much easier way now to watch content from a USB flash drive or hard drive with this router. It involves installed the Roku Media Player from the Roku Channel Store (its free). Then installing and configuring either a version of DD-WRT or TomatoUSB that support a DLNA/Media server. Once you activate and configure DLNA/Media Server and connect an external USB flash drive/hard drive any DLNA client including the Roku + Roku Media Player channel will see any media that it can play on the hard drive. It also helps to configure the external drive for file sharing through the router as well so you can move content to the external USB drive from any network attached PC.

Currently using Toastman's TomatoUSB firmware1.28.7503 MIPSR2Toastman-RT K26 USB Ext. It takes just a few mouse clicks to activate File Sharing and Media Server through the router administration interface when the USB drive is attached. Only downside is the slow transfer speed through the router's USB port. But so far I've been running lots of downloaded media content from the external USB hard drive connected to the router to a Roku 2 XS without issue.

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   I told them I needed the gigabit ports and dual USB ports for a replacement. Make sure you have your receipt too, they will ask for it.. This model is discontinued and the the N900 isn't DD-WRT or Tomato supported.. It's hard to beat a router with the features these custom firmwares give. I picked up two units of the model listed on the OP because of that..
 Dang, it seems everyone else got offered a N900 except me. I got a replacement for mine a few months back and the process was a real PITA. Had to go thru the tech support charade in which I pretended to be following directions while watching TV. Then they wanted to send me an N600 and I said like you that I needed the gigabit ports. They offered me the N750 instead, which has slower CPU (500Mhz instead of 600Mhz) and only the 5Ghz channel has 3 antennas/450mbps...the 2.4Ghz channel is 2 antennas/300mbps. On the bright side, this supports customized Asus RT-N56U firmware which runs great on this router and I like it better than my other F7D8301...looks nicer (albeit bigger) and has stronger signal. If it weren't for the customized firmware and better signal, I would've chalked up the time spent on the phone with Belkin and the return shipping cost for the defective router as a loss, as the Belkin firmware on the N750 really blows (does Belkin ever make good firmware?).

Does anyone know what might prevent the PPTP VPN server from working?
I can connect fine when I am on the local LAN but NOT from any external address (and yes, I am using the correct IP address for connecting).

Windows shows "Connecting to ..." then "Verifying username/password" then it goes back to "Connecting to ..." before it errors out (error 800??)

• Archived From: ForumsExpired Deals

• 141424344 45
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014