I guess the 149 dollar days are over.

Member Summary

HP TouchPad
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Touchpad does have GPS.

KayK (Apr. 16, 2012 @ 2:01p) |

Only the 3G/4G versions had GPS. The more common WiFi only do not have GPS.

SilverDL (Apr. 16, 2012 @ 2:51p) |

This is correct. It does a great job of figuring out your location via wifi, such a good job that tricks people into th... (more)

CoreyC (Apr. 16, 2012 @ 3:02p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › HP
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

how is this a hot deal?

There are native android tablets now in the 200-250 range. Target dropped prices on galaxy 10.1 to $225, others will foloow soon.

I have 32gb TP and it is nice for how much I paid, but I wouldn't pay over 200 for it.

I'm in. I've been wanting to pick up one of these for a long time, but always seemed to miss out on any of the below-$200 deals (they sell out so fast). Those have always been refurbs too, so I figure $250 for a NEW one isn't bad if refurbs tend to run $200.

I'm just not sold on the <$200 Android tabs available at this time, and the multi-boot options popular for the TP are intriguing.

i love mine (for 99 dollars),,buy i give this a "nO DEAL"

i love mine (for 99 dollars),,buy i give this a "nO DEAL"makes ya wonder where they got these from,,,7 months after thet stopped making them

I got the 32GB Touchpad during the fire sale. It was OK, but was a little slow and apps selection is pretty dismal. I ended up flashing Android Ice Cream Sandwich onto it and bumped the clock speed to 1.5GHz and am very pleased with it now. Plenty of apps available!

The Android hack isn't too difficult if you follow the directions carefully, and you can always reboot to WebOS, if you like.

HERE is a great YouTube video on flashing Android ICS

HERE is the reference website for Android development on the Touchpad

I'm one of many that bought it for $99.
Though I really enjoy mine, I wonder why anyone would pay more than $150 for it.
Again, I like it, but it's not worth more than $250 in my opinion.

forzaINTER said:   I'm one of many that bought it for $99.
Though I really enjoy mine, I wonder why anyone would pay more than $150 for it.

you never paid $99 for a 32gb that was $149..

the 16gb was 99.00 ...

What is the difference if it is new? You run ICS on it the warranty is voided anyway if I'm not mistaken. This seem rather steep considering the recent tablet deals.

anndesikis said:   forzaINTER said:   I'm one of many that bought it for $99.

you never paid $99 for a 32gb that was $149..

the 16gb was 99.00 ...

right on, these slick dealers either dont remember what they paid or they are late to the game, i paid $99 for my 16 gb during fire sale and the 32 gb eas $149, glad u caught that i was about to post same info as u did

The problems/issues discussed within this thread are definitely first-world problems.

I have one. They are fun to play with, especially if you are a geek like myself that likes to hack things. However, I would not pay any more than the firesale prices.

It is a good project, something to play with. I'd recommend trying to find one used, or if you see one at fire sale prices and enjoy hacking away at things pick one up. If you need a tablet for everyday use, look elsewhere. ICS is still not at a stable release, and the tablet itself is missing a lot of features (no gps, usb ports, or card slot).

daml said:   i love mine (for 99 dollars),,buy i give this a "nO DEAL"makes ya wonder where they got these from,,,7 months after thet stopped making them

These were never $99. The 32gb were $149.

I bought one at the firesale price. I don't really use it much at all. I just bought it because I had the money and seemed like a good deal...and everyone raves about Ipads. What do you guys use this thing for? I'm just looking for ideas...

poppagene said:   daml said:   i love mine (for 99 dollars),,buy i give this a "nO DEAL"makes ya wonder where they got these from,,,7 months after thet stopped making them

Never? How do you know what forzaINTER paid?
Several here, including myself, who ordered their HP Touchpads through the HP business site eventually received 32G Touchpads subbed by HP for the $99 16GB ones we initially ordered. Actually after the $15 off coupon and the shipping reinbursement from the free shipping fiasco I paid $86 after sales tax for the 32GB Touchpad.

I have really enjoyed my Touchpad. I bought a 32 gb during the fire sale and dual boot webOS and cm7 android. The operating systems complement themselves. I have Splashtop on both sides and control the htpc's I have on 3 TVs with it. I am thinking of triple booting linux and I am also planning on working a bit more with the vnc apps for each system.

cnIsfg said:   poppagene said:   daml said:   i love mine (for 99 dollars),,buy i give this a "nO DEAL"makes ya wonder where they got these from,,,7 months after thet stopped making them

Several here, including myself, who ordered their HP Touchpads through the HP business site eventually received 32G Touchpads subbed by HP for the $99 16GB ones we initially ordered. Actually after the $15 off coupon and the shipping reinbursement from the free shipping fiasco I paid $86 after sales tax for the 32GB Touchpad.

Ditto my friend!

forzaINTER said:   cnIsfg said:   poppagene said:   daml said:   i love mine (for 99 dollars),,buy i give this a "nO DEAL"makes ya wonder where they got these from,,,7 months after thet stopped making them

Ditto my friend!

I said they were never $99. Perhaps I should have said they were never offered for sale or advertised for sale at that price. If you were lucky enough to have a 32gb model substituted for the 16gb model you ordered at $99 (or less with coupon code) then congratulations on a really sweet deal. I'm trying hard not to be jealous.

Android on Touchpad is nice.. and Android has a huge selection of apps. But webOS is a much much smoother experience than Android on Touchpad is.

CoreyC said:   I have one. They are fun to play with, especially if you are a geek like myself that likes to hack things. However, I would not pay any more than the firesale prices.

It is a good project, something to play with. I'd recommend trying to find one used, or if you see one at fire sale prices and enjoy hacking away at things pick one up. If you need a tablet for everyday use, look elsewhere. ICS is still not at a stable release, and the tablet itself is missing a lot of features (no gps, usb ports, or card slot).

Touchpad does have GPS.

KayK said:   Touchpad does have GPS.

SilverDL said:   KayK said:   Touchpad does have GPS.

This is correct. It does a great job of figuring out your location via wifi, such a good job that tricks people into thinking it has a GPS... but it does not have one.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014