• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

ebay
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Seems like a good deal. I've never been a huge BlackBerry fan, but it looks like the corporation is really making efforts to improve (as shown at today's conference).

Now, only if this could run Ice Cream Sandwich...

timswim78 said:   Seems like a good deal. I've never been a huge BlackBerry fan, but it looks like the corporation is really making efforts to improve (as shown at today's conference).

Your wish had already been granted.
Text

SSi said:   timswim78 said:   Seems like a good deal. I've never been a huge BlackBerry fan, but it looks like the corporation is really making efforts to improve (as shown at today's conference).

Your wish had already been granted.
Text

I don't think that the android os that only the launcher make it feel like honeycomb or ICS

Wow, this is indeed a very good price. (but why is it being sold at this price only on eBay?) I wonder if Amazon's 7" Kindle Fire will see a price drop by mid-summer though - they've been very tight-lipped about the release of their 10" tablet, and when that event occurs, we may expect a modest $10-15 drop in the $199 price of the 7" Fire.

Had this over a month ago when Buy.com had it for the same price. I was excited that Android can be run on it until I received it and it wanted to update to 2.0.0.7971 upon 1st power up. Of course I wanted to just use it without updating, but there was no way around it. After the update, the dingleberry root project has propects about rooting 7971 but didn't release it yet.

As I waited, I used the Playbook with OS 2 and loved it as a web surfing device. The OS is brisk, the screen is great and the form-factor was perfect. On top of that it had a GPS and even tethered via Bluetooth to access 3G data off my work issued Blackberry. I have used the iPad1, iPad2, HP TouchPad, Amazon Kindle and found this to be my hardware favorite. However it lacked APPS! I didn't complain and continued to use it as a web surfing device.

Months later, one of the most vocal and primary DingleBerry developers stated that cracking 7971 and above is reaching the 'illegal' realm and will no longer work on it. BlackBerry then released OS 2.0.1 which stablized the web browser and another DingleBerry developer will continue development. But it was too late, I sold it.

It is and still remains one of the best tablet hardware-wise that I have encountered. The 7" form factor for a tablet is perfect. However, more 7" tablet with similar features will be available very soon in the $250 and below price range. The latest Samsung 7" tablet's hardware is very good, but this PlayBook screen is still better. The future is looking good for tablets.

I understand BlackBerry's stance. They have an OS that runs Android 2.3 apps, but they must be repackaged for the Playbook OS so that Blackberry can make money. Too bad none of the major apps you find common in both iOS and Android aren't yet available. It's only been 4 month since OS 2's release, but they need to catch up quick. Those <$250 7" tablet are going to flood the market quick.

By the way, for those that buy it, there may be a way to get around the update. Install the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and attach your Playbook to your computer on 1st power up. Use the Desktop Manager to backup your device. Then let the Playbook update itself. After the update, restore it back with the backup your created.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014