• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Idea USA 9.7" tablet, model CT802

NOTE: Lot's of recent updates/edits to this post from testing I have done, and also to organize the data into a more readable format. See the very bottom of this post for a revision log.

I know there is a 7" and 10.1" version from this manufacturer with resistive touch, but this one actually has capactive touch and ICS 4.0. Also there were complaints on other tablets from this manufacturer because of no ability to access Google Play, but this one definitely has it. Online ordering says "pre-order" but I was able to pick one of these up today in-store (limit 1 per customer) and so far so good for a 'made in China' tablet. I also own a Samsung Tab 2, so I will be comparing these 2 tablets.

PROS:
  1. Light and thin, VERY comparable to the iPad 2. Size comparison in mm:
    -L: ipad 2: 241.2, idea: 243 (1.8 mm longer)
    -W: ipad 2: 185.7, idea: 190 (4.3 higher) -unfortunately this is what prevents it from fitting in iPad2 cases BUT it will fit iPad 1
    -H: ipad 2: 9.4, idea 9.4 (very impressive!)
  2. Says it only supports up to 32gb microSD, but I have a Sandisk 64gb card in it right now that runs perfectly (which btw does not work on my Tab 2)
  3. ICS 4.0
  4. IPS, capacitive touch screen
  5. 2 usb ports (one host, one OTG)
  6. Mini HDMI
  7. In addition to normal power/volume hardware buttons, it has an extra ESC button
  8. Played mkv, avi, mp4 files with no problem using the default video player
  9. Comes pre-rooted with Busybox installed - thanks Loonix!
  10. Very good battery life - over 8 hours with heavy usage
  11. Very good/slow discharge. I left the tablet completely powered off for 24 hours and when I turned it on, it still had 99% battery remaining! Left it off for 48 hours and it had 98% remaining (compared to my Tab 2 which goes completely dead in just 3-4 days)

CONS:
  1. Just a slight bit of lag in performance (compared to the Tab 2), but it's not too annoying for me.
  2. Camera quality is poor to fair, but I will never use this, so I don't care (my main usage will be movies, and secondary use email). Probably comparable to what is available on feature phones
  3. For some reason I am not able to save off anything to the external micro sd - not sure if it's the tablet itself or an issue with the OS. I cannot get the camera to save to the microsd, nor email attachments. I also tried a 32gb card to rule out the "unsupported" 64gb, and had the same results (NOTE: see tips section below for a fix)
  4. The keyboard is the standard Android one, but I really do like the Tab 2 better - mainly because it has an extra row at the top for numbers, so you don't have to toggle the 123 key as much. As an option, there are many alternate keyboards available for download.
  5. The sound while watching a movie was good, but could be a tad louder. It will be sufficient for me, but the real test will be on an airplane where you have a lot of noise
  6. The native file manager app force closes when trying to view files (like the camera folder) every time. Not that big of an issue, as I downloaded Astro file manager and that works just fine (and is a better app anyway)
  7. Loonix reported that letting the tablet battery completely drain lost all of his apps. I am going to try and recreate this, but first need to make a backup rom

Other observations (will update as often as possible)
  • Boot up time: ~50 seconds
  • Video file support (only the ones I tested): mkv, avi, mp4
  • Subtitle support: Tested and works fine! (however seems to me this depends on your video playing app, not the hardware)
  • Viewing angle: very acceptable
  • Charging time: From 10% to 100%, took about 4 hours
  • Battery life on a full charge:
    *Light usage: 12 hours, 20% remaining at end of test. 4 out of 12 hours of moderate use (email/web/youtube)
    *Heavy usage: 8.5 hours, 5% remaining at end of test. 7.5 hours of heavy use (back to back movies) & 1 hour of moderate use. Most impressive!!
  • Netflix is supported - thanks Atlr!

===================================================================================================================
TIPS/TRICKS/TROUBLESHOOTING

Thanks goes to Atlr for all of the tips in this section!

Firmware updates:
Another name for the Idea USA Model CT802 closer to its origin might be the "mintpie P90 joyful magic box"
[L=P90 firmware download]http://www.mintpie.com/S3.asp]http://www.mintpie.com/S3.asp[/L]

USB Driver:
Download directly from here

GPS Test:
Install this on your tablet:
Android System Info app

Volume rocker:
The rocker is dual function (menu/home and volume up/down). The primary default function is menu/home. To use the secondary function for volume, just press and hold the button for 2-3 seconds until you see the volume graphic on the display, then continue adjusting as needed. Thanks Nez570!

Busy Box issue:
Best fix - just don't update/install it unless you have to (an older version is pre-installed, even though you cannot see it in Apps). If you do decide to install/update Busy Box anyway, note that it WILL cause the system under Storage to show 0.00 bytes total space available for internal memory. This is because the older version (1.18) is pre-installed in a different directory, so when the new one is installed, it needs to be linked back to the old one. Atlr has already posted instructions on how to do that in this thread here

Superuser permissions issue
Since this tablet comes pre-rooted, it already has the Superuser app pre-installed, however it is obviously an older version. So (from experience, learned the hard way) DO NOT update the Superuser app, because it updates the binaries which WILL cause issues when trying to gain su permissions in terminal emulator. I did panic a bit at first, but fortunately, I was able to recover by overwriting the modified su file with the factory original (PM myself or Atlr for a copy of the file if you need it). I have yet to find a valuable purpose/need for updating the Superuser app, so I have just left it alone with the factory original (for now).

Unable to write to micro sd
The solution to enable direct write access to the external micro sd is here

Open questions:
1. Write to micro sd. I modified the permissions of the platform.xml file as stated in thread above, but I don't notice anything different (ex. the camera still always defaults to internal storage instead of giving me the option to store on external sd). Also when I go into settings for the various apps, there is no option to change the default save path. Anyone else have thoughts/comments on this?

2. No CWMR. When I run Rom Manager and try to backup the current image as a rom, it complains that there is no CWMR. Anyone come across one for this tablet yet? Steps I followed:
-In Rom Manager, click on "Backup current Rom" and it says "You must have ClockworkMod Recovery installed to perform a backup"
-Click OK to flash/install CWMR and then tap CT802 to confirm the model
-Error says "The CT802 does not have an officially supported ClockworkMod Recovery yet. Have you installed a CWMR manually?
Need to find a CWMR compatible with this tablet...

===================================================================================================================
MANUFACTURER INFO (NOTE: some of this info is incorrect on their site, as noted below)

Idea USA 9.7" Capacitive Touch Android 4.0 16GB
Mfr: CHINA MART LOS ANGELES, LLC
Model: CT802
FRYS.com #7105852
UPC: 814882011234

Specifications:
Display: 9.7" IPS Display 4:3 1024x768
CPU 1.2 Ghz cortex A8
GPU Vivante GC800
Built-in RAM: 1GB DDR3
Operating System: Android 4.0.3
Internal Storage: 16GB Flash memory
External Memory: supports up to a 32 Micro SD Card (NOTE: I was able to load a 64gb)
Connectivity: Wi-Fi and 3G (Baseband v1.1) via a CDMA dongle
GPS: Yes (NOTE: Not listed by the manufacturer, but mine does have GPS)
PC interface: Standard HDMI mini / G-Sensor / Dual Camera front 0.3Mega pixel / back 2.0Mega pixel
TV out: Support 1080P HDMI output
Bluetooth: BT 3.0 (NOTE: this is FALSE! Manufacturer site incorrectly listed this)
Video codec 1080p Hardware decode: H263/H264/MPEG4/VC-1 /RMVB
Video formats: AVI/3GP/MP4/H264/WMV/MKV/MOV/FLV/VOB/RMV/OGG
Photo JPEG/PNG/BMP
Key power,back,menu,home
Battery 4500mAH/3.7v
Power 5V/2.5A adapter charging
Size 270mm×165mm×12mm (NOTE: my actual measurements are VERY different: 243mm x 190mm x 9mm or 9.57in x 7.48in x 0.35in)
Weight 1.5 pounds (20 oz) (NOTE: this was weighed by me on my postal scale, the manufacturer site did not list at all)

Manufacturer site: http://ideausa.us/97c.html

MY PURCHASE REQUIREMENTS FOR A TABLET:

Primary/mandatory requirements:
1. 10" screen (I have a 7" tablet and it is too small for me)
2. Ability to hold 100+ movies onboard (easily done on a 64gb micro sd)
3. Sub $200
4. 7-8 hour battery life
5. Broadest file support (ex. mkv, avi, mp4, etc.)
6. Processor/memory/GPU should provide adequate performance for watching movies (ex. not noticeable lag, video quality almost as good as a laptop)
7. Sound should be decent quality and loud enough to hear on an airplane at max volume
8. Basic email and browser
9. Decent build quality, all functions perform as expected (buttons work, stable OS, no crashes or random rebooting)

Summary: So for the above mandatory items, I can say this little tablet has passed everything (so far)

Secondary (OPTIONAL) requirements, listed in order of importance:
1. Prefer a known, name brand for good support (if something goes wrong with hardware and for OS upgrades)
2. Prefer as much onboard storage as possible, 16-32gb
3. As close to form factor/weight as iPad 2
4. Case/stand that is ultra-slim and fits like a glove
5. 1-year warranty
6. OS: Android 4.x or iOS 5.x
7. Active community/OEM support for rooting/jailbreak

Summary: So for the above optional items, only #2, 3, and 6 are met so far

NOT required:
1. Camera - I use the one on my phone anyway, like most people
2. Bloatware like Motoblur or Samsung touchwiz
3. Dual/quad core cpu - does not improve movie-viewing (at least not enough for me to notice)
4. GPS (although this tablet does have it)
5. 3G (although this tablet does have it)
6. 3D graphics or high-end GPU or 1080p support
7. OS upgrade path (ex. Android 5.0) - this will not alter/improve my movie-viewing experience
8. Gaming performance
9. Bluetooth
10. Viewing angle - I am not sure how this would affect me, as watching a movie in an airplane seat you don't have any room to move horizontally, and a good stand should be able to address the vertical angle to be optimized for a tablet

UPDATE 5/21 @ 9pm EST: Updated specs to reflect no bluetooth support (manufacturer site is wrong)
UPDATE 5/22 @ 9pm EST: Updated OP to reflect support for Netflix, pre-rooted, and battery life
UPDATE 5/23 @ 2pm EST: Updated dimensions- converted mm to inches - seems this tablet will fit iPad 1 cases!
UPDATE 5/24 @ 8am EST: Updated battery discharge test info
UPDATE 5/28 @ noon EST: Added a Tips/Tricks section and minor revisions to the original summary
UPDATE 9/13 @ 4am EST: Updated the verbiage on the Superuser app to clarify the issue

Member Summary

Idea USA 9.7" Capacitive Touch Android 4.0 16GB
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Dec 31, 2012 - Hi, I'm new to this tablet stuff. - Last month after much research, I found and bought a "S20" 9.7" Andro... (more)

jejasper (Dec. 31, 2012 @ 2:55p) |

Regarding your original post, in the specs the 3.5mm jack is listed as the headphone jack. If a 3.5mm jack is listed as ... (more)

idkmetoo (Mar. 02, 2013 @ 12:01p) |

Hi would like to know is anyone who owns the idea usa ct802 tablet can upload a copy of their system folder to help me a... (more)

arsonist (Apr. 09, 2013 @ 2:40a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Is it really an IPS display? sub-$200 for a 9.7" IPS has only happened for TouchPad, IFAIK.

Also, 12mm seems very thin for tablet at this price range. Can you please verify its actual thickness and weight?

Exactly... I have yet to see any IPS tablet this thin running Android 4.0 and under $200... that is why I was so impressed! I just put the tape measure on it and it actually shows 9mm thin for me, not 12! The specs listed on their site must be for their 10.1" version, because my length/width measurements are also very different. I show 243mm x 190mm x 9mm and they show 270mm×165mm×12mm

One of the other concerns I typically have is around accessories, since Android tablets have so many different dimensions. Now based on these measurements, I just gotta see if this baby will fit in my wife's iPad 2 case

Dont see WIFI in your description. Does the tablet have WIFI?

MID900 photo
Disclaimer
I like that this Idea USA branded model has a host USB port in addition to an On-The-Go USB port. And 1 GB of RAM. And the IPS display. Even though $188 is a great price, I am hoping that Fry's offers a 1-day sale price during this anniversary sale that is even lower.

Perhaps a wave of similar $200 tablets may be starting to crest. Here is one shown with a keyboard dock similar to the Asus Transformer.
http://www.etronixmart.com/yinlips-m907-tablet-pc-android-40-97i...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg-L0MhsdwA
Specs grid toward bottom

delete

So the battery will last 8 hr?

Instead of cheaping out and getting a less than functional no-name, for $70 more you can get the Motorola Zoom or the Asus Transformer. I'm hoping Google's new tablet will drop prices further.

sekharnet said:   Dont see WIFI in your description. Does the tablet have WIFI?
Yes, it does have Wi-Fi (I don't think I have ever seen any tablet without some kind of internet access). I just noticed that it also supports 3G via a CDMA dongle.

Couple of other points for consideration:
-I would never buy a brand like this online, so it was very nice to be able to actually hold and play with this - gave me the confidence to keep it
-Still looking for nice and slim fold-up case that will fit this - it was just a few mm too wide to fit in my wife's iPad case (but length fit perfect)

From what I have seen so far, it looks like they really built this to be an iPad clone, and they did a pretty good job.

On the battery, I have only used it for about 1.5 hours so far and the battery went down 20%, so if I extrapolate that out it comes to about 8 hours. I will report back on real battery life once I have actual heavy usage on it (watching movies).

atlr said:   I like that this Idea USA branded model has a host USB port in addition to an On-The-Go USB port. And 1 GB of RAM. And the IPS display. Even though $188 is a great price, I am hoping that Fry's offers a 1-day sale price during this anniversary sale that is even lower.

Perhaps a wave of similar $200 tablets may be starting to crest. Here is one shown with a keyboard dock similar to the Asus Transformer.

Not bad, but this is $260 now, but I needed something right now. Also, I have no use for a keyboard to watch movies, and this is only available online - I would never buy an off-brand online and not be able to return it...

croushore said:   Instead of cheaping out and getting a less than functional no-name, for $70 more you can get the Motorola Zoom or the Asus Transformer. I'm hoping Google's new tablet will drop prices further.
Can you please elaborate what you mean by "less than functional"? What functions do those others have (and I am not attacking you, I really do want to know)? What size screens do those have?

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the higher end tablets - I do own a Samsung Tab 2 as well and it's very nice - it's just way overkill for me just to watch movies on, so I can't justify paying more than double for it.

Now if you are wanting to use this for more than just movies, I found that this tablet was surprisingly very capable (a nice bonus for me, in case my needs change in the future).

I would not compromise on performance. Display is great but performance matters.

Can you comment on viewing angle. Perhaps compare it to the ipad. Maybe comment on screen color, contrast, brightness, etc. I want to get a sense of how good this IPS screen is.

With a no-name Chinese tablet, you aren't quite sure of the exact form, functionality and features you are getting. How is battery life over an extended period, how is switching between apps, build quality etc? The IPS is nice, but I would have to see a demonstration of color, contrast, backlight etc. This doesn't have GPS and the cameras are weak, which are both dealbreakers for me.

I don't like having to search high and low for specs, and then possibly relying on a forum someone who might or might not be a shill -- no offense meant, of course. Though let's face it, shills now surround deal sites and forums like packs of wolves.

With the Zoom or Transfomer you know exactly what you are getting. For instance, a refurb Zoom was $260 shipped at Buy.com a couple of days ago, currently $272.98 shipped.

http://www.buy.com/prod/motorola-xoom-android-tablet-wifi/220268...

Woot had the Motorola Zoom refurb for $255 shipped last night.
http://deals.woot.com/deals/go/17522678-532c-4b2b-aa75-f522a24d3...

I got an iPad 1 16g/3g/Wifi grade 5 from CowBoom with a one year warranty for around $215ish shipped AC. Pretty much the same price if you pay tax at Fry's, plus the drive if you drive.

It was grade 5 but only mentions nicks on the case and no screen issues.

eBay search found; 32 results found for 9.7" Capacitive Touch Android 4.0

I can say without reservations that Mulox is NOT a shill.

Well, I am certainly not a shill... I am trying VERY hard to find a reason to return this because I am too cheap to spend $200 on something I am only going to use a few times per month (currently I have a 12" ultrabook I use to watch movies). My logic is to use my requirements alone to drive my purchase decision, not emotion. Thus, I am not anti-Apple or pro-Android - my motive is to simply find the best value for what will minimally meet my needs. The issue I have with iPad is that I can't load 100+ movies on it, which is why I prefer Android because of the micro sd expansion. The Xoom is nice (we have one at my office) but it's too heavy (same weight as my ultrabook) and not a good value for me and my needs - it is overkill for the price/value.

j007m, I did see those 9.7 tablets on eBay as well, but none are under $200 and compare to how thin this one is or the battery life. Also, as I mentioned before, it is impossible to return those if you get a dud. Fry's will let me return this unit in 15 days.

My only concerns are: will this tablet be useful for watching movies on an airplane for the next 1-2 years. Meaning, will the build quality hold up, and will the battery still hold a charge after 9-12 months. Impossible to predict based on a 15-day test alone, unfortunately. The options are to either take a gamble on this one, or pay $100 more for a name brand like Motorola...

I watched a movie this afternoon at the pool where there was a lot of background noise, and it did not disappoint - picture was awesome, even being outdoors, and the sound was plenty loud enough using in-ear buds. I am charging it now, but will report later on the viewing angle and anything else I find.

beachfitrobdotcom said:   I got an iPad 1 16g/3g/Wifi grade 5 from CowBoom with a one year warranty for around $215ish shipped AC. Pretty much the same price if you pay tax at Fry's, plus the drive if you drive.

It was grade 5 but only mentions nicks on the case and no screen issues.

wow, these comparisons are getting out of hand. perhaps you justifying to yourself your recent purchase?

You are going to compare a used (no even refurb) tablet to a new one. Yes, for now, ipad does a lot of what most people will need, but talk about not knowing battery life, a used one will definitely have a decreased capacity to a new ipad, so who knows what you are going to get.

ipad1 already struggles with ios5 IMHO, i would not be surprised if when IOS6 comes out, ipad1 will not support it. There are definite risks to buying an older genration "USED" unit, so let's not forget that.

There are a lot of people like OP who has a primary use of the tablet as a media player for movies. Thus, all of these comparisons with Tegra2 units and ipads are out the door. Ipad- no go on MKV's, strict video files it can handle. Tegra2-struggles with high profile MKV and ven some MP4's (believe me I have tried many files on many tegra2 tablets). It is one of the reason tegra3 came out because the issues tegra2 has with videos.

Very good point superfly - I definitely need the broadest file support possible, and this can only be found on Android tablets (for now). Also, I will not settle for mediocre picture quality just to save $40 - I will spend more to get a better GPU that delivers decent video.

One important point that no one has mentioned is Android updates. All of the name-brand manufacturers (well, most of them anyway) provide updates for their tablets to resolve issues or to provide the latest android version. If not, you can flash a ROM provided by the dev community.

For these off-brand tablets, there is no guarantee that the manufacturer will provide any updates even in case of issues. Neither is there any guarantee of the dev community providing ROMs since the tablets, oftentimes, run with miscellaneous components (especially the graphics chip which probably does not have driver source available in AOSP).

Mulox said:   -The keyboard is the standard Android one, but I really do like the Tab 2 better - mainly because it has an extra row at the top for numbers, so you don't have to toggle the 123 key as much
Try Hacker's Keyboard free on the android market.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pocketworkstat...

The 4:3 IPS display sounds pretty sweet. Thanks for the heads up on this tablet.

Dig a little deeper, and this tablet houses a single-core A8 processor. The more I know, the less I like.

Moreover, I didn't call Mulox a shill, in fact, I made a point of saying as such.

Though how can a tablet about we know very little be considered a hot deal, especially in comparison to known brand-name commodities? Again, I do see many shills trying to sell these cheap Chinese tablets. In fact, I've seen this particular model posted about in several forums with similar language.

Anyway, if $170 is your pricepoint, I personally think a refurbed 7" Acer Iconia is a much better all-around buy. If the IPS/keyboard are selling points, you want to take a chance on support after the sale, and see this tablet as disposable in a year, who knows?

Update: The Idea USA CT802 actually has an Allwinner A10 SoC.

Mulox said:   I will not settle for mediocre picture quality just to save $40 - I will spend more to get a better GPU that delivers decent video.
If this model has the Rockchip RK2918 system-on-a-chip (SOC) with single core Cortex A8 CPU and Vivante GC800 GPU, then video playback is reported to be good. I'd re-encode videos to the display resolution to make sure playback is smooth as possible. Re-encoding is not everyone's cup'o'timesink I suppose. Hmmm, re-encoding away from 1080p might be a bad idea anyway since the silicon is optimized to decode VP8 @ 1080p.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockchip#RK2918
http://www.rock-chips.com/upload/image/RK29/29.jpg
http://androidforums.com/3698275-post92.html

Now I get why this is cheaper. The tech (single core CPU RK6918) is about a year old. If one wants smoother multi-tasking, then consider Tegra 3, etc. If $400 fell from the sky, I would get the Asus TF300. But $200 ($188+tax) sure is enticing.

Mulox - Do you have any mkv's with subtitles? I've seen some media players that while it can play mkvs, subtitles aren't supported (or lets you choose just one). Also, this can play 1080p's just fine? My HP Touchpad can not handle 1080p video, and re-encoding gets old.

I think it is important to recap my requirements (which many will not share, but some will):

Primary/mandatory requirements:
1. 10" screen (I have a 7" tablet and it is too small for me)
2. Ability to hold 100+ movies (easily done on a 64gb micro sd)
3. Sub $200
4. 7-8 hour battery life
5. Broadest file support (ex. mkv, avi, mp4, etc.)
6. Processor/memory/GPU should provide adequate performance for watching movies (ex. not noticeable lag, video quality almost as good as my ultrabook)
7. Sound should be decent quality and loud enough to hear on an airplane at max volume
8. Basic email and browser
9. Decent build quality, all functions perform as expected (buttons work, stable OS, no crashes or random rebooting)

Summary: So for the above mandatory items, I can say this little tablet has passed everything (so far)

1. Prefer a known, name brand for good support (if something goes wrong with hardware and for OS upgrades)
5. 1-year warranty
6. Android 4.0 OS
7. Support for rooting

Summary: So for the above optional items, only #2, 3, and 6 are met so far

NOT required:
3. Dual/quad core cpu - does not improve movie-viewing (at least not enough to notice)
4. GPS (although this tablet does have it)
7. OS upgrade path (ex. Android 4.1 or 5.0) - this will not alter/improve my movie-viewing experience
8. Viewing angle - I am not sure how this would affect me, as watching a movie in an airplane seat you don't have room horizontally, and a good stand should be able to address the vertical angle to be optimized for a tablet

netadmin makes a good point about rooting - any root support you find would be a total bonus, and I would not count on it, but then again, it is not a mandatory requirement for me, as it will unlikely improve my movie-viewing.

Mulox said:   netadmin makes a good point about rooting - any root support you find would be a total bonus, and I would not count on it, but then again, it is not a mandatory requirement for me, as it will unlikely improve my movie-viewing.http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=33462683&postcount=18
"I like that it [ct802] is rooted out of the box..."

Places where custom ROMs for the ct802 might be discussed:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/allwinner-a10-based/
http://www.slatedroid.com/forum/274-allwinner-a10-cpu-devices/
(my replies have a dual purpose; hopefully helping other folks but also are notes to my future self)

gaffer said:   Mulox - Do you have any mkv's with subtitles? I've seen some media players that while it can play mkvs, subtitles aren't supported (or lets you choose just one). Also, this can play 1080p's just fine? My HP Touchpad can not handle 1080p video, and re-encoding gets old.
I might have one with subtitles... I will check. If not, and you want to send me a small test file, I will be happy to load it up and try!

BTW, I just made a LOT of edits/updates to the OP, and will continue to add more as I complete various tests...

superflysocal said:   Can you comment on viewing angle. Perhaps compare it to the ipad. Maybe comment on screen color, contrast, brightness, etc. I want to get a sense of how good this IPS screen is.

Mulox,

Can you please comment on this?

NOT required:
3. Dual/quad core cpu - does not improve movie-viewing (at least not enough to notice)
4. GPS (although this tablet does have it)******************************************************
7. OS upgrade path (ex. Android 4.1 or 5.0) - this will not alter/improve my movie-viewing experience
8. Viewing angle - I am not sure how this would affect me, as watching a movie in an airplane seat you don't have room horizontally, and a good stand should be

Can't find any info on this having GPS....

croushore said:   Though how can a tablet about we know very little be considered a hot deal, especially in comparison to known brand-name commodities? Again, I do see many shills trying to sell these cheap Chinese tablets. In fact, I've seen this particular model posted about in several forums with similar language.

Anyway, if $170 is your pricepoint, I personally think a refurbed 7" Acer Iconia is a much better all-around buy. If the IPS/keyboard are selling points, you want to take a chance on support after the sale, and see this tablet as disposable in a year, who knows?

Yeah those cheap Chinese-made ipads can't be any good either </sarcasm>

A 4:3 IPS screen with cap touch is no longer simply 'cheap'. It's quite a good deal. Single core CPU is a small drawback but for most uses it'll do fine. Video playback is dependent on the GPU so that's not a problem. Most Android games run well on single-core devices as long as the GPU is reasonably fast. Amazing how you can rationalize that a 7" refurb is a better deal.
I do agree that warranty support is a big question mark. But hey at ~$190 you could buy a replacement down the road and still come out ahead compared to an ipad.

j007m said:   NOT required:
4. GPS (although this tablet does have it)******************************************************
8. Viewing angle - I am not sure how this would affect me, as watching a movie in an airplane seat you don't have room horizontally, and a good stand should be

And you won't... we have already discussed this issue... this is the problem with dealing with Chinese off-brands, if you see my other notes in bold in the OP, there are many things on their site that are completely wrong or missing. I guarantee you this has a GPS... I can send you a screenshot of it

Mulox said:   I think it is important to recap my requirements (which many will not share, but some will):

5. 1-year warranty
6. Android 4.0 OS
7. Support for rooting

Supposedly has 1 year warranty (paper in box says) and supposedly is rooted already out of the box.

Mulox said:   j007m said:   NOT required:

And you won't... we have already discussed this issue... this is the problem with dealing with Chinese off-brands, if you see my other notes in bold in the OP, there are many things on their site that are completely wrong or missing. I guarantee you this has a GPS... I can send you a screenshot of it

Read all your posted info...Thanks for clearing up the GPS question...

Yes, you are correct on the 1-year warranty, thanks! It's a 206 area code.

Not sure where people are getting that it's rooted out of the box... mine is not. Could be I was the exception...

BTW, on the viewing angle, I am not sure how to report on this objectively... to me it looks pretty damn good even at 45 degrees (both horizontal plane and vertical plane). I will post some performance benchmarks in the OP very shortly...

Mulox said:   My only concerns are: will this tablet be useful for watching movies on an airplane for the next 1-2 years. Meaning, will the build quality hold up, and will the battery still hold a charge after 9-12 months.A year of charges close to the charge capacity when new might be all one can expect. The design goal of creating the smallest chassis possible has eliminated user replaceable batteries in so many consumer products. For example, I have a Sansa Clip audio player that still works but the battery no longer holds a decent charge. Same with a Livescribe Pulse pen. I have found end user created instructions for disassembly but these exceed my frustration level. Apple has a "Battery Replacement Service" for Ipads which consists of ***exchanging*** your iPad for another one. Done a physical mod to your Ipad? Whoops, not eligible. Grrrrrr all around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery#Prolonging_batt...

Skipping 108 Messages...
Hi would like to know is anyone who owns the idea usa ct802 tablet can upload a copy of their system folder to help me and other owner fix the busybox issue but just copying and replacing the bad files/folder. Or if you guys can extract the full firmware from the tablet itself that would best. Thank you

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014