• Go to page :
  • 123 4
  • Text Only
Just curious...why not just buy Sony Tablet S....refurbished one is on sale for $269 with a free shipping. With Sony Tablet, you get more than a tablet. Check it out

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?c...

Way too expensive. The more I think about it, I really don't need an OS. Meaning I could give up a browser/email if I could just get a portable movie player, since when I am traveling, I use my smartphone and laptop for that stuff anyway. My ideal device would be:

1. 9 inch screen or larger, form factor similar to iPad 1
2. 8+ hour battery life
3. Name brand or good reliability history
4. No OS at all - just a movie player that has 32gb or more onboard, plus supports 64gb micro sd card
5. Player must support all file types (mkv, avi, etc.)
6. Priced between $99 and $150

Another name for the Idea USA Model CT802 closer to or at its origin might be the "mintpie P90 joyful magic box".
http://www.mintpie.com/Content.asp?TID=02010301&IID=3860
(translated using Google)
Purchase Address: Tianhe District, Guangzhou Shipai West Zhijie 18 301 phone 020-87511987、87501964
Tianhe District, Guangzhou the Gangding Bainaohui computer city 5C13 Tel :020-62683653
505, a, a western Pacific Digital Plaza, Tianhe District, Guangzhou Tel :020-62683653
Beijing Sunchie Science & Technology Co, Ltd or Beijing Qi Cheng Technology Co., Ltd
http://sunchie.com/

P90 firmware download
http://www.mintpie.com/S3.asp

Well, I have about 48 hours left to return this, and have decided to keep mine. Spent about an hour over the last couple of days trying to resolve the 0 bytes/su issue, which had me a bit worried, but as of last night everything is back now (thanks Atlr!!) There were 2 root causes to the issues, in case someone else experiences the same:

1. Installing Busy Box will cause the system to show 0 bytes total space available for internal memory. This is because an older version (1.18) is pre-installed in a different directory, so when the new one is installed, it needs to be linked back to the old one. Atlr has already posted instructions on how to do that in this thread

2. Installing the Superuser app and updating the binaries will cause issues when trying to gain su permissions in terminal emulator. This is what happened to me- I was not able to even enter su mode. Fortunately, I was able to overwrite the modified su file with the factory original, and that allowed to finally enter su mode, so I could fix issue #1

I will add these notes to a new section called "troubleshooting" in the OP...

A few questions for anyone that owns one of these, and have already found the answer:

1. The volume rocker is dual function key (serves as Home/Menu also) but I can never get it to do volume functions. Is there a setting somewhere to toggle it between the 2?

2. I modified the permissions of the platform.xml file, but I don't notice anything different (ex. the camera still always defaults to internal storage instead of giving me the option to store on external sd). Anyone else have thoughts/comments on this?

3. When I run Rom Manager and try to backup the current image as a rom, it complains that there is no CWMR. Anyone come across one for this tablet yet? Steps I followed:
-In Rom Manager, click on "Backup current Rom" and it says "You must have ClockworkMod Recovery installed to perform a backup"
-Click OK to flash/install CWMR and then tap CT802 to confirm the model
-Error says "The CT802 does not have an officially supported ClockworkMod Recovery yet. Have you installed a CWMR manually?

4. Anyone figure out a way to add "reboot" to menu when pressing the power button?

Hello all
I picked one of these up at frys last week, I really haven't done much with it just used it to surf and watch some videos .
I am curious if someone could list what came preinstalled on their tablet,
Because I have read that busybox was preinstalled and I do not see it listed anywhere, and I have had a few apps like "spider" the chess game and I think there was 2 others ,that seem to have dissappeared and there were a few live wall papers that are missing as well , I think I remember a few icons that I don't see anymore, but could be something I saw on my 2 kids tablets
While these aren't all that important to me ,I am unsure of what else may have dissappeared, also the wallpaper that it was set too when I first used it is gone.

As far as the gps ,I have android assistant installed and it shows gps as supported although I'm not sure ,and it shows bluetooth not supported which I'm guessing is correct after reading this thread.

Thanks for your time and help,

I think you would be better off with a used 1st gen iPad.

Hey Mulox
First thanks for all the info and time you put into this thread
The volume rocker if you hold it down one side or other doesn't it allow you to adjust the vol ? It is kinda funky but I've gotten used to it I guess

Thanks Nez570!!

BTW, I have just updated the OP and added a tips section to consolidate a LOT of useful information if you own one of these, enjoy!

thanks everyone for their useful input!
i got one at Fry's, also, and am learning android (first tablet), but started w/ android on my rooted nook simple touch.

Please give recommendations on how to watch videos (i.e. movies/tv shows), which apps and how to download videos to watch offline. (for free, of course, or other low cost options)

also, am working to find a nice back case as it's slippery (looking at this http://www.medgestore.com/products/ipad2-backit.psp?device=ipad2 The Back It by M-edge; saw it at Staples for $12.50 clearance)

Nez570 said:   Hello all
I picked one of these up at frys last week, I really haven't done much with it just used it to surf and watch some videos .
I am curious if someone could list what came preinstalled on their tablet,
Because I have read that busybox was preinstalled and I do not see it listed anywhere, and I have had a few apps like "spider" the chess game and I think there was 2 others ,that seem to have dissappeared and there were a few live wall papers that are missing as well , I think I remember a few icons that I don't see anymore, but could be something I saw on my 2 kids tablets
While these aren't all that important to me ,I am unsure of what else may have dissappeared, also the wallpaper that it was set too when I first used it is gone.

As far as the gps ,I have android assistant installed and it shows gps as supported although I'm not sure ,and it shows bluetooth not supported which I'm guessing is correct after reading this thread.

Thanks for your time and help,

jnetlew said:   Please give recommendations on how to watch videos (i.e. movies/tv shows), which apps and how to download videos to watch offline. (for free, of course, or other low cost options)BS Player is one of the better video players. It's on the Google (Play) market. I've found that ES File Explorer is able to stream videos off the LAN, allowing me to play videos from a NAS box similar to what the Popcorn Hour, WDTV and other network media players do. MKV, H.264, subs and all! Try doing that with a lousy ipad.

I will have to check out BS Player... I have been using MX Player and it's very good, plays everything I can throw at it (so far). I do love ES Explorer too... I like being able to sync all of my media from my server without having to connect the tab via usb or pulling the sd card out.

EDIT: WOW, BS Player really rocks... I can't believe how powerful/robust this app is and that it is free! It is now my new default player, thanks!!

Guys...Please help. I don't know what I've deleted/uninstalled an app or a system file. Now, all I get on the screen is "Unfortunately, launcher has stopped". The only accessible option I have is the system setting. Still get the same error message after a restored. What should I do now?........please help

ubermikenguyen said:   Guys...Please help. I don't know what I've deleted/uninstalled an app or a system file. Now, all I get on the screen is "Unfortunately, launcher has stopped". The only accessible option I have is the system setting. Still get the same error message after a restored. What should I do now?........please help

Try ADW Launcher.

There is a 10.1" capacitive screen ,16g is coming out Aug in Fry's, for under $200.

There is a 10.1" capacitive screen ,16g is coming out Aug in Fry's, for under $200.

Thanks, OP!!!

Was it ever confirmed that letting the battery drain on this erases all your apps? I'm thinking of getting one but I probably won't be using it that often and there's a good chance it'll drain.

i got one after a month of waiting for $188 , but did not like it at all.
GPS is not working , battery dying very quick, screen was not as clear as with HP Touchpad.
in comparison with HP touchpad + Android ICS it's just not worth it the money (you can get 32 Gb HP touchpad for ~170-180 now )
so return it after 2 weeks.

Isn't the HP touchpad only that cheap because it's been discontinued, meaning you probably can't get them any more?

Anyway, I'm looking for something which is 10 inches and has a 4:3 screen aspect ratio. I'd be using it for web, reading occasional ebooks and comics (4:3 ratio on a 10 inch screen should be able to display a whole comic book page), and watching videos in standard formats such as .avi, .mkv, etc. The Idea USA sounded ideal for this because it's cheap, has the 4:3 ratio, and is rooted. I happened to live near the Duluth Fry's that has one on display so I was able to see one in operation. However, since I won't be using it very often, losing all apps when the battery drains would be a deal-breaker.

The HP Touchpad is also 4:3, but I doubt it'll be possible to buy one any more.

I still have this tablet, and use it solely for movie watching, of which is does an awesome job. As I, and others have said, it is just barely noticeable that it does not have dual core, when you are opening apps and doing anything cpu-intensive there is a bit of hesitation, but it's not terrible. If you want a tablet for simple games, it should be fine, but anything with intense graphics will probably not do well at all on this.

I have not been able to recreate the "apps go away on full battery drain" issue either...

I intend to use it for videos, web, ebooks, and comics. I have no desire to use it for games. I have a game system to play games on.

Also, I am confused about something said here: an early post mentions that installing the Superuser app causes problems. I thought that the Superuser app is normally installed as part of rooting the device. So if it comes rooted, then Superuser should already be there and should not need to be installed, right?

arromdee, re-read the OP (I just updated it to clarify). Basically since this is pre-rooted, Superuser comes pre-installed, although it might not be visible to you in Apps (trust me, it's there). So if you try to "install" it, you are actually "updating" it and overwriting the old version already there... and thus breaking it. There is no valid reason to update Superuser app (at least for me) so after I went through the very painful process of restoring, I have left it alone... hope that helps

cant get tabs app (guitar tab) to work on idea usa 10" tablet. what apps am i missing to make this work??? everything else(apps) seemed to load and work fine.

ziggy

Mulox said:   
Another name for the Idea USA Model CT802 closer to its origin might be the "mintpie P90 joyful magic box"

I looked at that site. The CT802 doesn't resemble that tablet at all.

On the other hand, the CT802 looks exactly like and seems to have specifications exactly like this one:

http://www.eken.com/a90/

Anyway, where is the USB driver? The link in the first post no longer works.

Edit: Searching elsewhere shows that the driver in that dead link is an ADB driver for Windows to control the tablet over USB. I'm mostly using Linux and already installed adb, and I have no need for one of those.

Dec 31, 2012 - Hi, I'm new to this tablet stuff. - Last month after much research, I found and bought a "S20" 9.7" Android 4.1 (Jelly bean) Rockchip RK3066 Dual Core 1.6GHz IPS 1024x768 IPS XGA Screen. It has 1GB RAM DDR3, Internal of 16GB, External Micro SD up to 32GB, 0.3 front camera, 2.0 back camera, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth, Ethernet, Support online video calls (Skype), External 3G, 3G Web Surfing, TF card slot, Micro USB slot, Micro USB Host (OTG) slot, Mini HDMI slot, 3.5mm headphone jack, dc jack. Google Play Store and many other apps installed. 8000mah battery. The "USER's GUIDE" was apparently for ICS (4.0), minature in size and of no use. The Micro USB (host) port works fine with a "Host OTG" cable plugged in to the port. Unable to make the regular Micro USB port connection work - my PC lists it as "Unknown Device" and wants a driver for it. I have not found one yet to make it work. Price was $172 + shipping direct from China. I have seen it on other sites for up to almost $300.00
Can anyone help with a driver for the one micro usb port? Thanks.

Regarding your original post, in the specs the 3.5mm jack is listed as the headphone jack. If a 3.5mm jack is listed as a headphone jack and not a "combo" jack,
(headphone and microphone) will it not work as an input device (ie: cc reader via Roam Pay or Square?

Hi would like to know is anyone who owns the idea usa ct802 tablet can upload a copy of their system folder to help me and other owner fix the busybox issue but just copying and replacing the bad files/folder. Or if you guys can extract the full firmware from the tablet itself that would best. Thank you

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014