• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
YMMV. This link is to local deals for Seattle but I don't know if this applies to everyone.

Text

Update : Applies to everyone.

Member Summary

kindle
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
@ dkong. I thought that the purpose of gifting it was so that the individual that receives it can register it under the... (more)

DBLCB (May. 25, 2012 @ 8:55p) |

i have one on eBay for just 5$ if you need just search on eBay. Bit tight on budgets.

anoopch (May. 26, 2012 @ 9:54a) |

I guess I'll have to tape it nicely and gift wrap. I'm not sure what it means to indicate that it's a gift, but I thoug... (more)

dkong (May. 29, 2012 @ 1:58p) |

  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This is also available everywhere else

seems to be everywhere, from different friends relaying the link.
would be better if could be used against kindle touch.

agree with michealo. It would be great if could be worked with kindle touch.
Tried but didn't work.

Got one....Thank you.
from SD....NOTE: The refurbished Kindle has a full one-year warranty, same as a new Kindle

Will a Kindle support Public Library checkout like the Sony Readers do or is it just for Amazon ebook products? I believe it's an epub format.

jschuman said:   Will a Kindle support Public Library checkout like the Sony Readers do or is it just for Amazon ebook products? I believe it's an epub format. Unfortunately, no. At least, not in a straight-forward way. I'm sure there are ways to remove the DRM and convert it to a kindle compatible format if you really need... not that I condone such acts

EDIT: nevermind. See posts below mine.

Yuyak said:   jschuman said:   Will a Kindle support Public Library checkout like the Sony Readers do or is it just for Amazon ebook products? I believe it's an epub format. Unfortunately, no. At least, not in a straight-forward way. I'm sure there are ways to remove the DRM and convert it to a kindle compatible format if you really need... not that I condone such acts

I wouldn't be so sure, take a look at this link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000718231

I'd test it out, but I don't have a clue what I did with my last library card.

It depends. They won't do EPub, but my library has books in Kindle format too.

devioustrap said:   Yuyak said:   jschuman said:   Will a Kindle support Public Library checkout like the Sony Readers do or is it just for Amazon ebook products? I believe it's an epub format. Unfortunately, no. At least, not in a straight-forward way. I'm sure there are ways to remove the DRM and convert it to a kindle compatible format if you really need... not that I condone such acts

I wouldn't be so sure, take a look at this link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000718231

I'd test it out, but I don't have a clue what I did with my last library card.
Ooo interesting. It used to be that you couldn't, but looks like they started allowing it back in Sept. I had no idea. Thanks!!
http://techland.time.com/2011/09/21/how-to-borrow-library-books-...

I received the offer in my in box and already have my voucher.

Thanks, OP!

used my offer immediately. kindle arriving thursday. thanx op

They started supporting library borrowing last fall. Lancaster, PA public library loans Kindle books from their website. You need to have their library card

49 bucks shipped?

We have a Fire, a Kindle, a Nook, ...and for under 50 bucks Amazon will send me another Kindle? That is a complete no brainer- either my Daughter gets it for 8th grade graduation, I get because well I want it or someone else gets it as a gift...there is really no downside to this.

Great deal. Got voucher for free. The location didn't matter. Hope to use it someday .

smeagle said:   Great deal. Got voucher for free. The location didn't matter. Hope to use it someday .

You have to use it by May 29 (a week from today).

Are any of you ordering the power adapter too?

DBLCB said:   Are any of you ordering the power adapter too?

it is not a bad idea to have one- so you can use the USB in a wall socket BUT, if you have any other chargers for phones, or iPods that take a usb cord and plug into a socket, they would work fine. I have so many random ones, it is not necessary.

Sounds like a new Kindle around the corner.

tehru said:   DBLCB said:   Are any of you ordering the power adapter too?

it is not a bad idea to have one- so you can use the USB in a wall socket BUT, if you have any other chargers for phones, or iPods that take a usb cord and plug into a socket, they would work fine. I have so many random ones, it is not necessary.



Thank you.

I bought one. $4.xx tax in NYC. I've never had an e-reader before.

One concern: it's not backlit. How will I read at night?

dkong said:   I bought one. $4.xx tax in NYC. I've never had an e-reader before.

One concern: it's not backlit. How will I read at night?


Kandle. Link

dkong said:   I bought one. $4.xx tax in NYC. I've never had an e-reader before.

One concern: it's not backlit. How will I read at night?


Reading lamp.

Yes think of an e-reader as a book. Nothing more, except it holds 1000 books, weighs a few ounces and is awesome.

dkong said:   I bought one. $4.xx tax in NYC. I've never had an e-reader before.

One concern: it's not backlit. How will I read at night?
Same way you read a regular book at night. Trust me, your eyes will be much happier with this than back-lit tablets if you're planning on reading in low-light settings.

Amazon.com. Estimated delivery: May 30, 2012 - June 5, 2012 Yayyyyyy!!!!! My first Kindle!



Shipment Date: May 23, 2012
Destination: CHICAGO, IL
Estimated Arrival: May 29, 2012

I've already downloaded books to my Kindle and it's not even in my hands yet.

DBLCB said:   Amazon.com. Estimated delivery: May 30, 2012 - June 5, 2012 Yayyyyyy!!!!! My first Kindle!
enjoy- you will love it!

discusbabe said:   DBLCB said:   Amazon.com. Estimated delivery: May 30, 2012 - June 5, 2012 Yayyyyyy!!!!! My first Kindle!
enjoy- you will love it!



Thank you. This just might be the incentive I need in order to read even more of the books that I've already downloaded.

DBLCB said:   discusbabe said:   DBLCB said:   Amazon.com. Estimated delivery: May 30, 2012 - June 5, 2012 Yayyyyyy!!!!! My first Kindle!
enjoy- you will love it!



Thank you. This just might be the incentive I need in order to read even more of the books that I've already downloaded.
I hope it'll be an incentive for me to read more in general!

jschuman said:   Will a Kindle support Public Library checkout like the Sony Readers do or is it just for Amazon ebook products? I believe it's an epub format.

I frequently check out ebooks from my local library's website and download onto my Kindle. Just go to your local library's website to find out more. As other people said, you will need a library card.

cheesycheese said:   jschuman said:   Will a Kindle support Public Library checkout like the Sony Readers do or is it just for Amazon ebook products? I believe it's an epub format.

I frequently check out ebooks from my local library's website and download onto my Kindle. Just go to your local library's website to find out more. As other people said, you will need a library card.


+1. This is pretty common now at most libraries.

Sold Out!

sold out! anyone got a spare code they don't need to pm me? thx

Two more questions (I'm an e-reader newbie):

1. Is this an older model? Is that why it's such a low price (aside from being a refurb)?

2. What format are eBooks for the kindle in? (What file extension?)

It is a current model. Basically refurb gets you 10 dollars off but the coupon gave you an additional 20. It does have ads when you turn it on but they are unobtrusive and often very good. Several sites, maybe even this one, will post and trade them. I have used ours on my wife's a few times.

This model has buttons- not a touch screen. YMMV on that. But otherwise it is a current model.

Format-Someone will know more that I but basically think of it as mostly proprietary. You will mostly have to buy books from Amazon. But technically you get :Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.

Calibre is a wonderful program for your ebooks btw.

tehru said:   It is a current model. Basically refurb gets you 10 dollars off but the coupon gave you an additional 20. It does have ads when you turn it on but they are unobtrusive and often very good. Several sites, maybe even this one, will post and trade them. I have used ours on my wife's a few times.

This model has buttons- not a touch screen. YMMV on that. But otherwise it is a current model.

Format-Someone will know more that I but basically think of it as mostly proprietary. You will mostly have to buy books from Amazon. But technically you get :Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.

Calibre is a wonderful program for your ebooks btw.
Thanks! Free Stuff forum often has free eBook deals posted. Are you saying the regular price is $80?

dkong said:   Thanks! Free Stuff forum often has free eBook deals posted. Are you saying the regular price is $80?

correct

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051QVESA/

Mine arrived yesterday. I have a problem: I want to give it as a gift to my 12 y/o niece, but I didn't indicate that it's a gift at checkout. I opened the box, thinking there would be an inner box, but there was none! It just opened directly into the Kindle! Now how do I close it nicely so that it doesn't look opened? Please help.

Skipping 3 Messages...
DBLCB said:   @ dkong. I thought that the purpose of gifting it was so that the individual that receives it can register it under their name. For instance, if I decide to give mine to my favorite 15y/o, I have to un register it because it's under my name, and register it under the 15y/o's name.

As far as repackaging it, the 12y/o will probably be happy to receive it. Is it possible to tape the box and gift wrap it?

Peace
I guess I'll have to tape it nicely and gift wrap. I'm not sure what it means to indicate that it's a gift, but I thought it'd be packaged to make it look presentable.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014