• Text Only
I've been following this thread, trying to figure out how to get the Panny and it seems like Costco may not be the best option for me:
- cost of membership +$55; I would be purchasing membership just for the TV. Have absolutely no need for Costco otherwise and unlikely I'd be back there within the year
- don't have a Costco AMEX - no extended warranty
- nearest Costco > 1 hr away (north)
- sales tax = $45.50
total cost $749.50 if they have it in stock

U50 on Amazon or BB
- no sales tax on Amazon
- don't have to deal with getting it home if order from Amazon
- nearest BB an hour away (south) no sales tax
- can get BB and Amazon gc's through drug store and supermarket deals effectively lowering oop (eg buy BB gc, get $20 free groceries)
total cost $800 less any gc's

probably end up about the same price oop with less hassle if I don't buy from Costco, not to mention $55 of it was for a membership that I won't use

so, great deal for those who shop at Costco, not so hot for those that don't but I've learned a lot following this thread.

my4mainecoons said:   I've been following this thread, trying to figure out how to get the Panny and it seems like Costco may not be the best option for me:
- cost of membership +$55; I would be purchasing membership just for the TV. Have absolutely no need for Costco otherwise and unlikely I'd be back there within the year
- sales tax = $45.50

U50 on Amazon or BB
- no sales tax on Amazon
- can get BB and Amazon gc's through drug store and supermarket deals effectively lowering oop (eg buy BB gc, get $20 free groceries)

probably end up about the same price oop with less hassle if I don't buy from Costco, not to mention $55 of it was for a membership that I won't use

so, great deal for those who shop at Costco, not so hot for those that don't but I've learned a lot following this thread.

Marketing is a very powerful force. People often buy electronics loaded with features that they will never use. Panasonic and Sony make good TVs. But they can't turn a profit. Sony is out of the HDTV business. Panny lost $10M last year. To squeeze that last 5-8% gain in performance, they have to invest more $ in various technological enhancements that will translate to a big spike in price.

The human brain has a very short memory span when it comes to video quality. This is why LG, Samsung, and even Panasonic are pushing 50" 1024 x 768 plasma TVs. The drop in pixels looks bad on paper, but has little real-world effect under normal TV/movie viewing condition. An $800 Panasonic plasma TV will look un-impressive in 5 years due to the rapid pace of technological development. Buy what you need today that will deliver 85-90% performance. You can put the $ saved toward another TV if upgrade is warranted in 5-7 years.

E4300 said:   
Marketing is a very powerful force. People often buy electronics loaded with features that they will never use. Panasonic and Sony make good TVs. But they can't turn a profit. Sony is out of the HDTV business. Panny lost $10M last year. To squeeze that last 5-8% gain in performance, they have to invest more $ in various technological enhancements that will translate to a big spike in price.

The human brain has a very short memory span when it comes to video quality. This is why LG, Samsung, and even Panasonic are pushing 50" 1024 x 768 plasma TVs. The drop in pixels looks bad on paper, but has little real-world effect under normal TV/movie viewing condition. An $800 Panasonic plasma TV will look un-impressive in 5 years due to the rapid pace of technological development. Buy what you need today that will deliver 85-90% performance. You can put the $ saved toward another TV if upgrade is warranted in 5-7 years.

Folks like me are the reason they don't turn a profit. I'm replacing the circa 1985 32" diag. Sony Trinitron in living room. Picture tube is dying. Still have 2 17" Sony Trinitrons and expect they'll be fine for at least another 15 yrs as they get used less than once/month. By the time I need to replace one of them technology will have advanced further. I figure that if I'm buying for the long haul I might as well get best I can at the time knowing that it will be more than outdated by the time I replace it.

On Amazon the U50 was $700 2 wks ago and the UT50 $800 3 wks ago. For the $100 difference I'll probably go w/ the UT50 since it has 3d and is Wifi ready. Don't know about the other stuff but those sound like things that would be good to have for the long haul.

Don't forget about the 1 year additional warranty.

my4mainecoons said:   I've been following this thread, trying to figure out how to get the Panny and it seems like Costco may not be the best option for me:
- sales tax = $45.50

U50 on Amazon or BB
- no sales tax on Amazon

- sales tax = $45.50

U50 on Amazon or BB
- no sales tax on Amazon

Sure, this deal isn't for everyone and you'll have to do the analysis yourself to figure out what the best is for you (and it looks like you did).

Just wanted to add a few thoughts to your particular situation:

1) you DO NOT need the Costco AMEX to get the 2nd year warranty. Costco extends it regardless of the payment method. Earlier the AMEX was discussed because I was wondering if the AMEX would extend it for an extra year on top, but they do not - the AMEX 1-yr extension would run at the same time as the Costco extension.

2) If you do go with BB or Amazon, it may be worth waiting. They both had the U50 for $700 a few weeks back so they may do that sale again in the future, though that's just a guessing game.

3) With BB/Amazon, you have 30 days the decide whether you want to keep it. Costco you get 90 days. With BB/Costco, you'll have to drive back to the store to return. With Amazon (I've never done it) it sounds like they have some special procedure to ship it back - I don't know if they come pick it up or if you have to drive it somewhere specific, but probably worth looking into. All three you can return it if it's damaged, not working properly, or you just don't like it.

4) Also, give the Costco membership and AMEX a second thought - it actually saves me a lot of money on things you might not expect. My costco has a gas station which is about 10% cheaper than others - this alone easily pays for the membership. They also sell movie tickets that are equivalent of ~60% of the cost if I were to buy it at the theatre. As for the AMEX, it's one of the few AMEX cards out there that is completely free to sign up (no ann. fee). You also get 3% back on gas, 2% back on restaurants/travel and 1% back on everything else. But best of all, anything you buy with this it'll double the manufacturer warranty (up to a year). I basically buy almost all electronics with the AMEX for this reason.

5) Finally, Costco does have a policy where you can get your membership fee refunded (probably prorated, maybe full) if you decide to cancel your membership. Personally, I really like Costco as a business so I urge you NOT to go in with the plan of taking advantage of their generous policy, but something to keep in mind if you're willing to give Costco membership an honest try.

Anyway, good luck with your decision making!

Yuyak said:   
4) Also, give the Costco membership and AMEX a second thought - it actually saves me a lot of money on things you might not expect. My costco has a gas station which is about 10% cheaper than others - this alone easily pays for the membership. They also sell movie tickets that are equivalent of ~60% of the cost if I were to buy it at the theatre. As for the AMEX, it's one of the few AMEX cards out there that is completely free to sign up (no ann. fee). You also get 3% back on gas, 2% back on restaurants/travel and 1% back on everything else. But best of all, anything you buy with this it'll double the manufacturer warranty (up to a year). I basically buy almost all electronics with the AMEX for this reason.

5) Finally, Costco does have a policy where you can get your membership fee refunded (probably prorated, maybe full) if you decide to cancel your membership. Personally, I really like Costco as a business so I urge you NOT to go in with the plan of taking advantage of their generous policy, but something to keep in mind if you're willing to give Costco membership an honest try.

Being a "coupon-er" I spend <$200/year on groceries and haven't paid for anything a drug store sells in years-- including milk, eggs, cereal, paper products, personal care products, etc. In fact, I come out ahead buying stuff which I then yard sale. Last year's yard sale proceeds were enough to pay for my heating fuel for the year. Staples, grocery store & drug store pay me to shop there. Spend money for the privilege of spending money? No way!

Also, Costco is not for people in rural areas. The one Costco in our state is 75 miles away. The one in the adjoining state is ~ 200 miles away. I didn't even factor in the gas/time to get the TV from Costco.
I returned something to Amazon once-- they shipped the wrong item. It was really easy. Did it all on line and UPS came to the house to pick it up.

Thank you for the great info.

Yuyak said:   my4mainecoons said:   I've been following this thread, trying to figure out how to get the Panny and it seems like Costco may not be the best option for me:
- sales tax = $45.50

U50 on Amazon or BB
- no sales tax on Amazon

Sure, this deal isn't for everyone and you'll have to do the analysis yourself to figure out what the best is for you (and it looks like you did).

Just wanted to add a few thoughts to your particular situation:

1) you DO NOT need the Costco AMEX to get the 2nd year warranty. Costco extends it regardless of the payment method. Earlier the AMEX was discussed because I was wondering if the AMEX would extend it for an extra year on top, but they do not - the AMEX 1-yr extension would run at the same time as the Costco extension.

2) If you do go with BB or Amazon, it may be worth waiting. They both had the U50 for $700 a few weeks back so they may do that sale again in the future, though that's just a guessing game.

3) With BB/Amazon, you have 30 days the decide whether you want to keep it. Costco you get 90 days. With BB/Costco, you'll have to drive back to the store to return. With Amazon (I've never done it) it sounds like they have some special procedure to ship it back - I don't know if they come pick it up or if you have to drive it somewhere specific, but probably worth looking into. All three you can return it if it's damaged, not working properly, or you just don't like it.

my4mainecoons said:   Yuyak said:   

Being a "coupon-er" I spend <$200/year on groceries and haven't paid for anything a drug store sells in years-- including milk, eggs, cereal, paper products, personal care products, etc. In fact, I come out ahead buying stuff which I then yard sale. Last year's yard sale proceeds were enough to pay for my heating fuel for the year. Staples, grocery store & drug store pay me to shop there. Spend money for the privilege of spending money? No way!

Also, Costco is not for people in rural areas. The one Costco in our state is 75 miles away. The one in the adjoining state is ~ 200 miles away. I didn't even factor in the gas/time to get the TV from Costco.
I returned something to Amazon once-- they shipped the wrong item. It was really easy. Did it all on line and UPS came to the house to pick it up.

Do you get 90 days to return the TV / lower your cost of purchasing it ?? In the TV world, 90 days for price reductions is an eternity.

This just doesn't make any sense.

E4300 said:   my4mainecoons said:   I've been following this thread, trying to figure out how to get the Panny and it seems like Costco may not be the best option for me:
- sales tax = $45.50

U50 on Amazon or BB
- no sales tax on Amazon

I agree, I've had a Panasonic GT for a few years. It was amazing out of the box, cinema quality 3D when I watched Avatar on it, and still impresses me today. The "viera cast" internet capabilities are kind of strange, but I never really use them. For example, it comes with things like youtube and pandora, but also a random German language newscast!

ctjwa said:   I agree, I've had a Panasonic GT for a few years. It was amazing out of the box, cinema quality 3D when I watched Avatar on it, and still impresses me today. The "viera cast" internet capabilities are kind of strange, but I never really use them. For example, it comes with things like youtube and pandora, but also a random German language newscast!

Sounds great.

not really, but here's for a bump....

Did you get the TV ??

- sales tax = $45.50

U50 on Amazon or BB
- no sales tax on Amazon

Who else is In??

nobody, everybody got one already by now.

SteelRing said:   nobody, everybody got one already by now.

Lol.

polishdreamer said:   SteelRing said:   nobody, everybody got one already by now.

Lol.

Will just bump...you seem to be very active in this....happy 4th...

The deal the other guy mentioned is way better. His bumps are funnier, too.

Just a note: Picked up a Panasonic 42" plasma in 2008. Going strong and looks great. Will be going Panasonic plasma when I upgrade to 55-65" and migrate the old set to the bedroom.

Now that more of my friends have HDTVs, I can fully appreciate my decision to go plasma. Black levels, motion, picture quality... you know, the reason you buy a TV. If you don't care about functionality and want a thin, light set, go with LCD. If you want the best TV, go plasma.

vwvr7vw said:   For reference, the Panasonic employee purchase program price for the U50 is $674.99 + tax.

I checked the EPP site again and they now have a free Blue Ray player with some TVs (not this one unfortunately though). I decided to go with the UT50 from the EPP site. It has a few extras over the U50 (see a comparison on Amazon's page). The UT50 came to about $760 after tax with free shipping and also came with the free blue ray player. Just FYI for those that have access to the Panasonic EPP site. Seemed like a good deal to me.

i agree, we have a 5 years old 42inch vizio 720, it has better picture quality then a year old 55 samsung lcd or a brand new 47 lg 3d lcd

fatwf said:   Just a note: Picked up a Panasonic 42" plasma in 2008. Going strong and looks great. Will be going Panasonic plasma when I upgrade to 55-65" and migrate the old set to the bedroom.

Now that more of my friends have HDTVs, I can fully appreciate my decision to go plasma. Black levels, motion, picture quality... you know, the reason you buy a TV. If you don't care about functionality and want a thin, light set, go with LCD. If you want the best TV, go plasma.

my 6-year old 42-inch vizio 720 plasma died a couple months ago, bought it from costco a few months before they put in the 90-day TV return policy. should i really try to return it to them? all boxes and packaging and manuals are accounted for like new, except for the receipt that i think i threw away a few years ago since it was fading anyway.

if i remember right costco had two sales, the first one these costed $1400 after coupon, the second time 1000.
I would say there is no harm trying, they should be able to pull the receipt. Also they do not need box or anything.
just the remote and power cable should be good.

SteelRing said:   my 6-year old 42-inch vizio 720 plasma died a couple months ago, bought it from costco a few months before they put in the 90-day TV return policy. should i really try to return it to them? all boxes and packaging and manuals are accounted for like new, except for the receipt that i think i threw away a few years ago since it was fading anyway.

I'd keep an eye on the new price July 8th.

I bet you would

itsme13 said:   if i remember right costco had two sales, the first one these costed $1400 after coupon, the second time 1000.
I would say there is no harm trying, they should be able to pull the receipt. Also they do not need box or anything.
just the remote and power cable should be good.

SteelRing said:   my 6-year old 42-inch vizio 720 plasma died a couple months ago, bought it from costco a few months before they put in the 90-day TV return policy. should i really try to return it to them? all boxes and packaging and manuals are accounted for like new, except for the receipt that i think i threw away a few years ago since it was fading anyway.

Go for it.

It's July 8th. What's the new price?

Panasonic EPP price for the U50 is $624.99 ($50 less) now. The one I got (UT50) is still $724.99, but no free blueray player anymore.

ensignlee said:   It's July 8th. What's the new price?

It's still $649 as of today, no more instant rebate though (six to one / half dozen to another). There's now also a chance of an additional rebate in the coming weeks, which is great.

no we don't

I bought this TV and it rocks. Great quality and easy setup. My blue ray has Netflix and Hulu and all things Internet which is better than the TV having it (easier to replace the Bluray than the TV so add failure points to it).

Great find OP.

For those who like the Fry's deal better to each his/her own

PhoenixMan said:   I bought this TV and it rocks. Great quality and easy setup. My blue ray has Netflix and Hulu and all things Internet which is better than the TV having it (easier to replace the Bluray than the TV so add failure points to it).

Great find OP.

For those who like the Fry's deal better to each his/her own

Thanks PM, congrats.

No longer available online but still in the store (B&M).

With Amazon return, you ask for an RMA, they send you a return label, you take to UPS store.
Easy as pie...I did this with a 32in Panny plasma that came with a deep gouge in the box.
Didn't even open it, RMA was granted with no questions asked and came with an apology.

Ordered 50in Panny plasma 2 months later from Amazon. Box had a few dings, wife took delivery.
Called me to say it had arrived - I had her note every ding in box. Delivery guy thought she was crazy.
But just in case there were any screen issues, I wanted to be able to return it.

Can't remember model number but was 3D version, not top line but 2nd best. Picture is beautiful from any angle.

LiverX said:   With Amazon return, you ask for an RMA, they send you a return label, you take to UPS store.
Easy as pie...I did this with a 32in Panny plasma that came with a deep gouge in the box.
Didn't even open it, RMA was granted with no questions asked and came with an apology.

Ordered 50in Panny plasma 2 months later from Amazon. Box had a few dings, wife took delivery.
Called me to say it had arrived - I had her note every ding in box. Delivery guy thought she was crazy.
But just in case there were any screen issues, I wanted to be able to return it.

Can't remember model number but was 3D version, not top line but 2nd best. Picture is beautiful from any angle.

Thanks for this, the extra year warranty at costco closed me.

ctjwa said:   I agree, I've had a Panasonic GT for a few years. It was amazing out of the box, cinema quality 3D when I watched Avatar on it, and still impresses me today. The "viera cast" internet capabilities are kind of strange, but I never really use them. For example, it comes with things like youtube and pandora, but also a random German language newscast!

Thanks for chiming in.

In-store price now $649 standard.

Go for it!!

Yuyak said:   eko said:   flyingroach said:   Remember you should transport this home standing up and can't lay flat.

This may be common knowledge to most but I've never heard it before. Why can't a plasma lay flat for transport?
Plasma TVs basically have the cells sandwiched between two sheets of glass. Therefore, when the face of the TV is not supported evenly throughout, the screen is prone to cracking. This is supposedly particularly problematic while transporting when you add in road vibrations. Not sure if it's a real concern or a myth, but it's I've seen a lot more people say to do this than people who claim it's a myth.

When I bought my last plasma set, I brought it home laying flat. Once home, I set it upright and let it sit overnight before plugging it in (dont remember why.. it's been a few years). No problems with the set and its been running great.

BUKE said:   Yuyak said:   eko said:   flyingroach said:   Remember you should transport this home standing up and can't lay flat.

This may be common knowledge to most but I've never heard it before. Why can't a plasma lay flat for transport?
Plasma TVs basically have the cells sandwiched between two sheets of glass. Therefore, when the face of the TV is not supported evenly throughout, the screen is prone to cracking. This is supposedly particularly problematic while transporting when you add in road vibrations. Not sure if it's a real concern or a myth, but it's I've seen a lot more people say to do this than people who claim it's a myth.

When I bought my last plasma set, I brought it home laying flat. Once home, I set it upright and let it sit overnight before plugging it in (dont remember why.. it's been a few years). No problems with the set and its been running great.

It's hard to believe it's shipped standing up the whole time.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014