• 123 4 510
  • Page
  • Text Only
Yuyak said:   my4mainecoons said:   not yet. still thinking about the logistics. How to get it home? Borrow a pick up? If I get it at Costco will they load it for me? Don't have a Costco membership. Is it even in stock at the one Costco in my state? etc. etc. So perhaps it wasn't the "advised" method, but we put it in horizontally (screen-side up) in my corolla with the seats down. I drove extra carefully avoiding every little bump in the road. The TV was just fine. As for loading, just bring a friend with you. It's big but not too heavy (maybe 60lbs?). I was able to do it with my wife - neither of us are very strong

Since you got it in a Corolla, I would safely say that it would fit in most cars with the proper positioning.

For reference, the Panasonic employee purchase program price for the U50 is $674.99 + tax.

my4mainecoons said:   not yet. still thinking about the logistics. How to get it home? Borrow a pick up? If I get it at Costco will they load it for me? Don't have a Costco membership. Is it even in stock at the one Costco in my state? etc. etc.yes they will gladly load it up for you, just ask anyone with costco badge for help on the way out and they'll send someone if not do it herself. you still have to unload them yourself at home though so bring a boyfriend or two.

vwvr7vw said:   For reference, the Panasonic employee purchase program price for the U50 is $674.99 + tax.

Which really makes this a no-brainer with the extra year of full warranty.

Zetroc said:   As noted earlier many Costco stores no longer carry plasma tvs. Before you take on a membership make sure one of you local Costco(s) actually has the tv. Most of them in FL do.

Hm...PolishDreamer...It wouild seem you bump your own thread every few hours if it needs it or not. You are over 50 percent of the posts on this thread. LET IT DIE A NATURAL DEATH! Find another deal to bump!

Brico said:   Hm...PolishDreamer...It wouild seem you bump your own thread every few hours if it needs it or not. You are over 50 percent of the posts on this thread. LET IT DIE A NATURAL DEATH! Find another deal to bump!

You bumped it again to tell me not to bump it, lol.

Brico said:   Hm...PolishDreamer...It wouild seem you bump your own thread every few hours if it needs it or not. You are over 50 percent of the posts on this thread. LET IT DIE A NATURAL DEATH! Find another deal to bump!

This individual continues to pump the Panasonic even though it costs 63% more than the LG 50PA4500 (currently $399 at Frys B&M). The LG has a better remote, on screen menu, and sound. The Panasonic's picture in only better by about 5% under critical viewing condition. Don't trust my review? Then check out those reviews at Best Buy and Amazon. These people also give the LG better rating. And when one factors in the $399 price, the LG walks all over the Panasonic.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+50%22+Class+-+Plasma+-+720p+-+600Hz+-+HDTV/4846601.p?id=1218551139132&skuId=4846601&st=lg 50pa4500&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+VIERA+-+50%22+Class+-+Plasma+-+1080p+-+600Hz+-+Smart+-+3D+-+HDTV/4841518.p;jsessionid=C977AD828E537D4C7C5919065AE50519.bbolsp-app05-56?id=1218541223771&skuId=4841518&st=panasonic 50" plasma&cp=1&lp=4

http://www.amazon.com/LG-50PA4500-50-Inch-720p-Plasma/dp/B0072260GW/

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50UT50-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00752VKFK/

E4300 said:   Brico said:   Hm...PolishDreamer...It wouild seem you bump your own thread every few hours if it needs it or not. You are over 50 percent of the posts on this thread. LET IT DIE A NATURAL DEATH! Find another deal to bump!

This individual continues to pump the Panasonic even though it costs 63% more than the LG 50PA4500 (currently $399 at Frys B&M). The LG has a better remote, on screen menu, and sound. The Panasonic's picture in only better by about 5% under critical viewing condition. Don't trust my review? Then check out those reviews at Best Buy and Amazon. These people also give the LG better rating. And when one factors in the $399 price, the LG walks all over the Panasonic.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+50%22+Class+-+Plasma+-+720p+-+6... 50pa4500&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+VIERA+-+50%22+Class+-+Pl... 50" plasma&cp=1&lp=4

http://www.amazon.com/LG-50PA4500-50-Inch-720p-Plasma/dp/B007226...

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50UT50-50-Inch-Plasma/...
While I don't really care for the thread bumping either, I don't agree with the LG vs Panasonic comparison. I really wanted to like the LG 50PA4500 because it was so cheap, but when I saw it in the store I didn't like it. At the viewing distance I would have the TV set up (~8ft), the difference between the 720p and the 1080p was noticeable. The guys at Fry's let me mess around the picture settings too, so it wasn't that. Just to see if I was imagining it, I took my wife (who knows nothing about TVs), hid the prices/models/description from her and asked which she liked better, and without hesitation she picked the Panasonic claiming that the picture looked "more smooth". This was at Best Buy and they were showing the "Life" bluray (which I believe is at 1080i). Hopefully I'll be keeping this TV for at least a few years so I went with the TV that I liked better and I'm very happy with my decision so far.

Yuyak said:   E4300 said:   Brico said:   Hm...PolishDreamer...It wouild seem you bump your own thread every few hours if it needs it or not. You are over 50 percent of the posts on this thread. LET IT DIE A NATURAL DEATH! Find another deal to bump!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+50%22+Class+-+Plasma+-+720p+-+6... 50pa4500&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+VIERA+-+50%22+Class+-+Pl... 50" plasma&cp=1&lp=4

While I don't really care for the thread bumping either, I don't agree with the LG vs Panasonic comparison. I really wanted to like the LG 50PA4500 because it was so cheap, but when I saw it in the store I didn't like it. At the viewing distance I would have the TV set up (~8ft), the difference between the 720p and the 1080p was noticeable. The guys at Fry's let me mess around the picture settings too, so it wasn't that. Just to see if I was imagining it, I took my wife (who knows nothing about TVs), hid the prices/models/description from her and asked which she liked better, and without hesitation she picked the Panasonic claiming that the picture looked "more smooth". This was at Best Buy and they were showing the "Life" bluray (which I believe is at 1080i). Hopefully I'll be keeping this TV for at least a few years so I went with the TV that I liked better and I'm very happy with my decision so far.

Garbage in, garbage out. The highest quality signal is a dedicated HDMI input from a Blue Ray player. 2nd best is an F input from an outdoor antenna. Any improvement in picture quality is only marginal at 8' with true 1080p signal from a Blue Ray player. There will be zero gain with OTA broadcasts (regardless of how far you sit in front of the TV) since these are running at 720p/1080i. Most stores feed degraded video signal to a cheap TV so that uninformed customers will fork over 2x the price for an expensive set. A dead give away is when they position a cheap TV next to the expensive popular TV, or when there is excessive video noise in the picture of the cheap TV. Less video noise = smoother picture.

All of these reviews cannot be wrong. The LG can hold its own against the Panasonic if the input video signal is of the same quality. The Panasonic is the clear winner only if you use it as a PC monitor.

E4300 said:   Garbage in, garbage out. The highest quality signal is a dedicated HDMI input from a Blue Ray player. 2nd best is an F input from an outdoor antenna. Any improvement in picture quality is only marginal at 8' with true 1080p signal from a Blue Ray player. There will be zero gain with OTA broadcasts (regardless of how far you sit in front of the TV) since these are running at 720p/1080i. Most stores feed degraded video signal to a cheap TV so that uninformed customers will fork over 2x the price for an expensive set. A dead give away is when they position a cheap TV next to the expensive popular TV, or when there is excessive video noise in the picture of the cheap TV. Less video noise = smoother picture.

All of these reviews cannot be wrong. The LG can hold its own against the Panasonic if the input video signal is of the same quality. The Panasonic is the clear winner only if you use it as a PC monitor.
Well, to be fair, I wouldn't call the U50 an "expensive popular TV" being the lowest model of the Panasonic plasmas, especially given that at Best Buy (where we compared) the price difference between the two models were negligible. For me, OTA broadcast is not an issue since I rarely watch OTA material. My TV use is primarily video game, bluray, mlb.tv, Netflix/Amazon streaming.

With something like this, isn't it possible that both TVs are good and that different people will have preferences based on what characteristics they care about and what they'll be using the TV for? It's not like you can assign a concrete benchmark score or something. All I'm saying is that, based on what we saw, this Panasonic was the choice that made me happier even at the higher price. Maybe it's not what other people who reviewed the TVs liked, but I don't see why what other people thought should influence what I like.

For someone trying to decide, I'd definitely encourage them to go check out the LG 4500 since it is cheaper. Maybe they'll like it just as much or more than Panasonic and that'd be fantastic. If not, check out this Panasonic too - I really like it and I think it's a great price.

Agreed.

Yuyak said:   E4300 said:   Garbage in, garbage out. The highest quality signal is a dedicated HDMI input from a Blue Ray player. 2nd best is an F input from an outdoor antenna. Any improvement in picture quality is only marginal at 8' with true 1080p signal from a Blue Ray player. There will be zero gain with OTA broadcasts (regardless of how far you sit in front of the TV) since these are running at 720p/1080i. Most stores feed degraded video signal to a cheap TV so that uninformed customers will fork over 2x the price for an expensive set. A dead give away is when they position a cheap TV next to the expensive popular TV, or when there is excessive video noise in the picture of the cheap TV. Less video noise = smoother picture.

Well, to be fair, I wouldn't call the U50 an "expensive popular TV" being the lowest model of the Panasonic plasmas, especially given that at Best Buy (where we compared) the price difference between the two models were negligible. For me, OTA broadcast is not an issue since I rarely watch OTA material. My TV use is primarily video game, bluray, mlb.tv, Netflix/Amazon streaming.

With something like this, isn't it possible that both TVs are good and that different people will have preferences based on what characteristics they care about and what they'll be using the TV for? It's not like you can assign a concrete benchmark score or something. All I'm saying is that, based on what we saw, this Panasonic was the choice that made me happier even at the higher price. Maybe it's not what other people who reviewed the TVs liked, but I don't see why what other people thought should influence what I like.

For someone trying to decide, I'd definitely encourage them to go check out the LG 4500 since it is cheaper. Maybe they'll like it just as much or more than Panasonic and that'd be fantastic. If not, check out this Panasonic too - I really like it and I think it's a great price.

E4300 said:   Brico said:   Hm...PolishDreamer...It wouild seem you bump your own thread every few hours if it needs it or not. You are over 50 percent of the posts on this thread. LET IT DIE A NATURAL DEATH! Find another deal to bump!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+50%22+Class+-+Plasma+-+720p+-+600Hz+-+HDTV/4846601.p?id=1218551139132&skuId=4846601&st=lg 50pa4500&cp=1&lp=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+VIERA+-+50%22+Class+-+Plasma+-+1080p+-+600Hz+-+Smart+-+3D+-+HDTV/4841518.p;jsessionid=C977AD828E537D4C7C5919065AE50519.bbolsp-app05-56?id=1218541223771&skuId=4841518&st=panasonic 50" plasma&cp=1&lp=4

Maybe not everyone has access to Fry's b&m. I don't care about the remote or the menu and sound is secondary because 90% of the time I'm running it through my receiver. What matters to me is if I can actually GET the TV, which I CAN'T since there isn't one near me.

Yuyak said:   E4300 said:   Garbage in, garbage out. The highest quality signal is a dedicated HDMI input from a Blue Ray player. 2nd best is an F input from an outdoor antenna. Any improvement in picture quality is only marginal at 8' with true 1080p signal from a Blue Ray player. There will be zero gain with OTA broadcasts (regardless of how far you sit in front of the TV) since these are running at 720p/1080i. Most stores feed degraded video signal to a cheap TV so that uninformed customers will fork over 2x the price for an expensive set. A dead give away is when they position a cheap TV next to the expensive popular TV, or when there is excessive video noise in the picture of the cheap TV. Less video noise = smoother picture.

I never said that the Panasonic was a bad TV. I've bought only Panasonic TVs since 1981. Last Panasonic was purchased in 2009.

This is my first LG so reliability is unknown, but my background in engineering tells me that this LG is a very good TV, even at $500. Feel the LG remote. Look at the battery compartment. You can see the attention to details. The thin front bezel and slim profile also looks very attractive in any room.

I'm almost 100% sure that what you saw was a rigged display. And you cannot make an informed decision with inaccurate data. When both TVs are calibrated and receive the same signal source, the Panasonic has the potential of displaying a higher resolution picture, but only with pristine Blue Ray video input. To clearly see the improvement in picture quality from the Panasonic, you'll need to input 1080p Blue Ray video signal, and sit between 5-6' in front of the TV. You don't use the TV as a PC monitor.

Most games are 720p. MLB.TV and Netflix/Amazon video are compressed HD (far short of 720p standard). If you're sitting 5 feet in front of the TV and are watching MLB.TV or Netflix/Amazon video, then video resolution from the LG will be the same as that of the Panasonic (the bottle neck is the quality of the video feed). This is the main reason why most people don't rate the Panasonic higher...due to the lack of mainstream 1080p video feed. And don't expect broadcasters to migrate to 1080p in the next 7-10 years (cost and bandwidth limitation).

I've calibrated both TVs side-by-side and feed them OTA 720p HDTV signal via one 4dB signal splitter (same signal strength to each TV). At 10' viewing distance, the picture quality of the Panasonic is subjectively 5-6% better than the LG. In a double blind test where I don't have the benefit of side-by-side comparison, the Panasonic may still hold the edge, but it would be much harder for me to consistently pick out the Panasonic TV.

It's a fool's game to try to future-proof electronic purchases. I cannot justify paying 63% price premium ($400 vs $650) for a 5-6% improvement in picture quality. Most people want a nice picture without paying an arm and a leg. The LG has a better remote, better sound, and better on-sceen menu.

mpattdu said:   E4300 said:   Brico said:   Hm...PolishDreamer...It wouild seem you bump your own thread every few hours if it needs it or not. You are over 50 percent of the posts on this thread. LET IT DIE A NATURAL DEATH! Find another deal to bump!

Maybe not everyone has access to Fry's b&m. I don't care about the remote or the menu and sound is secondary because 90% of the time I'm running it through my receiver. What matters to me is if I can actually GET the TV, which I CAN'T since there isn't one near me.

Then buy it at Best Buy for $500. That's still $150 than the Panasonic.

E4300 said:   mpattdu said:   E4300 said:   Brico said:   Hm...PolishDreamer...It wouild seem you bump your own thread every few hours if it needs it or not. You are over 50 percent of the posts on this thread. LET IT DIE A NATURAL DEATH! Find another deal to bump!

Lot's of confusion about other TV's, the Panny has an additional year of warranty & a 90 price guarantee (if the price goes down, you get the difference in cash). Try taking a TV back to Bestbuy after a month or see what happens if it breaks in a year & half, you're SOL.

Then buy it at Best Buy for $500. That's still $150 than the Panasonic.

E4300 said:   This individual continues to pump the Panasonic even though it costs 63% more than the LG 50PA4500 (currently $399 at Frys B&M). The LG has a better remote, on screen menu, and sound. The Panasonic's picture in only better by about 5% under critical viewing condition. Don't trust my review? Then check out those reviews at Best Buy and Amazon. These people also give the LG better rating. And when one factors in the $399 price, the LG walks all over the Panasonic.

And what do you think this proves? Almost all TVs have great customer reviews. I'm sure you can go to the Wal-Mart website and find overwhelming positive reviews for some the absolute worst TVs available. LCDs outsell plasmas by a gigantic margin. All any of that proves is that most consumers aren't educated.

I'd recommend that people look at some PROFESSIONAL reviews and make an informed decision. You might also want to look at this comparison (from the 2011 HDTV Shootout). Do you see the one TV in the room that cannot come anywhere close to producing black -- the ugly, glowing one with a gray screen? That one is an LG plasma. But hey, don't trust your own eyes or professional TV calibrators -- trust E4300 and other random dudes who walk into Best Buy and buy the cheapest television they find, then proclaim that the best TVs available are "only about 5% better" than their own TV.

Good deal. My tv is currently a panasonic and I have been looking for an upgrade. This might be the one.

MechanicalMan said:   E4300 said:   This individual continues to pump the Panasonic even though it costs 63% more than the LG 50PA4500 (currently $399 at Frys B&M). The LG has a better remote, on screen menu, and sound. The Panasonic's picture in only better by about 5% under critical viewing condition. Don't trust my review? Then check out those reviews at Best Buy and Amazon. These people also give the LG better rating. And when one factors in the $399 price, the LG walks all over the Panasonic.

And what do you think this proves? Almost all TVs have great customer reviews. I'm sure you can go to the Wal-Mart website and find overwhelming positive reviews for some the absolute worst TVs available. LCDs outsell plasmas by a gigantic margin. All any of that proves is that most consumers aren't educated.

I'd recommend that people look at some PROFESSIONAL reviews and make an informed decision. You might also want to look at this comparison (from the 2011 HDTV Shootout). Do you see the one TV in the room that cannot come anywhere close to producing black -- the ugly, glowing one with a gray screen? That one is an LG plasma. But hey, don't trust your own eyes or professional TV calibrators -- trust E4300 and other random dudes who walk into Best Buy and buy the cheapest television they find, then proclaim that the best TVs available are "only about 5% better" than their own TV.

If most people don't see the big improvement in picture quality, then they are not going to pay for the higher priced TV. There are a few audiophiles with golden ears and a few videophiles with golden eyes. Unfortunately, there aren't enough of these videophiles to pull Panasonic out of a $10M loss in HDTV. Sony is already out of the HDTV game.

Professional reviewer = trust us. We see what you don't see, so open up your wallet. Turn off all the light and see that glowing gray screen? That's the junk TV. Consumer Report and all the respected pros should add this "black hole" test as a pass/fail criteria.

Whatever an individual perceives is what matters to them. The stock monkeys at BB or Target don't care what you buy--their margins on low-end TVs are at times higher than those on more expensive TVs.

If somebody likes their TV, then that's perfect. That someone else enjoys a different TV is meaningless. Have enough confidence in your decision making to not have to compare it to someone else's decision making.

Yuyak said:   eko said:   flyingroach said:   Remember you should transport this home standing up and can't lay flat.

This may be common knowledge to most but I've never heard it before. Why can't a plasma lay flat for transport?
Plasma TVs basically have the cells sandwiched between two sheets of glass. Therefore, when the face of the TV is not supported evenly throughout, the screen is prone to cracking. This is supposedly particularly problematic while transporting when you add in road vibrations. Not sure if it's a real concern or a myth, but it's I've seen a lot more people say to do this than people who claim it's a myth.

I transported a 60" Pioneer Kuro Elite for two hours laying flat 4 years ago, it's fine to this day, don't worry about it too much.

What is funny I think is that you can get a great Plasma like this for 650 and people are paying 500-600 for an IPAD. Guys this is a hot deal for those who need a TV. Plasma gives a great picture.

Rob

robertw477 said:   What is funny I think is that you can get a great Plasma like this for 650 and people are paying 500-600 for an IPAD. Guys this is a hot deal for those who need a TV. Plasma gives a great picture.

Rob

It's a great TV, money being what it is makes it better. I have no idea that folks can pull this apart this much based on what I have seen. Costco gives you 90 days to adjust the price if available & an extra year of full warranty, that's super strong if you ask me.

LukFilm said:   Yuyak said:   eko said:   flyingroach said:   Remember you should transport this home standing up and can't lay flat.

This may be common knowledge to most but I've never heard it before. Why can't a plasma lay flat for transport?
Plasma TVs basically have the cells sandwiched between two sheets of glass. Therefore, when the face of the TV is not supported evenly throughout, the screen is prone to cracking. This is supposedly particularly problematic while transporting when you add in road vibrations. Not sure if it's a real concern or a myth, but it's I've seen a lot more people say to do this than people who claim it's a myth.

I transported a 60" Pioneer Kuro Elite for two hours laying flat 4 years ago, it's fine to this day, don't worry about it too much.

Does anyone really believe they shipped all the TV's straight up & down??

polishdreamer said:   LukFilm said:   Yuyak said:   eko said:   flyingroach said:   Remember you should transport this home standing up and can't lay flat.

Who knows what position they were in during shipping. When I went to buy the TV last week; there were some standing up and some were laying flat.

pdxor said:   polishdreamer said:   LukFilm said:   Yuyak said:   eko said:   flyingroach said:   Remember you should transport this home standing up and can't lay flat.

Who knows what position they were in during shipping. When I went to buy the TV last week; there were some standing up and some were laying flat.

Looks like you answered your own question.

West coast / Hawaii stock is low/

I went to the Los Feliz Costco here in LA to pick up one of these, and none are in stock. The salesdude checked the computer, and the item number is in the system and is noted as a new item, but apparently none are in stock in all of the West Coast and Hawaii. He said it should be in stock "soon".

I bought four of the LG 50PA4500 (currently $399 at Frys B&M)
They show up as 1080p resolution on my DirecTV HD Receiver. I
didn't look at the manual thoroughly, so don't know if the resolution
is actually listed officially. I don't see any indication of resolution
on the exterior of the LG box.

In any case, I set up one of the sets and am completely satisfied with the PQ & Sound.

I purchased at Downers Grove (IL) and there were 3 left
(two were on hold from internet purchases per the sales guy).

So if they are indeed 1080p... $399 for a 50" set is terrific.

pdp1170 said:   I bought four of the LG 50PA4500 (currently $399 at Frys B&M)
They show up as 1080p resolution on my DirecTV HD Receiver.

EDIT: My bad.. It does say 1024x768. So, not 1080P....

pdp1170 said:   I bought four of the LG 50PA4500 (currently $399 at Frys B&M)
They show up as 1080p resolution on my DirecTV HD Receiver. I
didn't look at the manual thoroughly, so don't know if the resolution
is actually listed officially. I don't see any indication of resolution
on the exterior of the LG box.

In any case, I set up one of the sets and am completely satisfied with the PQ & Sound.

I purchased at Downers Grove (IL) and there were 3 left
(two were on hold from internet purchases per the sales guy).

So if they are indeed 1080p... $399 for a 50" set is terrific.

$399 is a good price, I live in FL & this is the best you can get here. Arguably the Panny is a better TV, you also get that extra year of warranty / 90 day price drop guarantee.

As per LG's website, the LG 50PA4500 is not a 1080p screen. They call it 720p in their literature, but list its panel's actual native resolution as 1024x768. It can take 720p and 1080p signals, and likely tells HD receivers and computers that it can accept those signals (as all HD displays have always done), but according to those specifications it can only be upscaling 'em all. It's a nice price for a screen that size and the picture quality could be great in terms of color and contrast, but its only sporting ~37% as many pixels as the Panasonic.

czyz said:   As per LG's website, the LG 50PA4500 is not a 1080p screen. They call it 720p in their literature, but list its panel's actual native resolution as 1024x768. It can take 720p and 1080p signals, and likely tells HD receivers and computers that it can accept those signals (as all HD displays have always done), but according to those specifications it can only be upscaling 'em all. It's a nice price for a screen that size and the picture quality could be great in terms of color and contrast, but its only sporting ~37% as many pixels as the Panasonic.

It's a great price for a 50" but admittedly so, it does fall far short in comparable performance. Thanks for the breakdown here.

I do wish there was a way for me to find out when that Panasonic is in stock at my local Costco. Tried calling but couldn't raise a human. I'd rather not have to show up every few days to check for it, and would also rather not order online and pay an extra $99 and wait for shipping. Would be nice if they supported online orders with an in-store pickup like other brick and mortar stores of the 21st century rather than keeping such a strict separation between online and off.

czyz said:   I do wish there was a way for me to find out when that Panasonic is in stock at my local Costco. Tried calling but couldn't raise a human. I'd rather not have to show up every few days to check for it, and would also rather not order online and pay an extra $99 and wait for shipping. Would be nice if they supported online orders with an in-store pickup like other brick and mortar stores of the 21st century rather than keeping such a strict separation between online and off.

Hit zero & ask for the store manage. You can normally check stock at the service desk as well, not a big deal.

I checked stock at the desk when I was there, that's when they told me they expected it soon.

Thanks for the tip re: dialing a zero in the phone tree. I did hit zero on the phone tree when I called during business hours the next day, but unfortunately it rang a few times and went straight to a recorded message. At any time that I'm free and able to go to Costco, it's always a madhouse –so it's kind of a big deal to me if I have to repeatedly go to the store, find parking, and jostle with crowds, just to find out the item isn't in stock. Any way to avoid that hassle would be preferred, but if I can't get to a human on the phone and can't see whether an item is in stock online, then I don't see a way around it.

I don't mean to grumble overly much. It's a very good deal, and hopefully I'll be able to grab one.

czyz said:   I checked stock at the desk when I was there, that's when they told me they expected it soon.

Thanks for the tip re: dialing a zero in the phone tree. I did hit zero on the phone tree when I called during business hours the next day, but unfortunately it rang a few times and went straight to a recorded message. At any time that I'm free and able to go to Costco, it's always a madhouse –so it's kind of a big deal to me if I have to repeatedly go to the store, find parking, and jostle with crowds, just to find out the item isn't in stock. Any way to avoid that hassle would be preferred, but if I can't get to a human on the phone and can't see whether an item is in stock online, then I don't see a way around it.

I don't mean to grumble overly much. It's a very good deal, and hopefully I'll be able to grab one.

No troubles, enjoy.

Yuyak said:   Sychev22 said:   How well would this do with PS3/PC gaming? Once broken-in, it should be great for gaming. Plasma is still king in terms of picture quality, colors and fast-motions.

planejanetic said:   Been looking for a new TV. I will have to look into this at my local Costco. Thank you I'd also recommend checking the U50. U50 is this year's model with similar specs for $700 (Amazon/BB), or the UT50 (with 3D) for $800 on Amazon. I don't know much about this G15 but the U50 looked really nice. Based on what I can gather from Google, it sounds like this was from 2009 and reviewed very well.

Yuyak...my love for what you bring to the community only continues to grow with each passing post!

Jesteraron said:   Yuyak said:   Sychev22 said:   How well would this do with PS3/PC gaming? Once broken-in, it should be great for gaming. Plasma is still king in terms of picture quality, colors and fast-motions.

planejanetic said:   Been looking for a new TV. I will have to look into this at my local Costco. Thank you I'd also recommend checking the U50. U50 is this year's model with similar specs for $700 (Amazon/BB), or the UT50 (with 3D) for $800 on Amazon. I don't know much about this G15 but the U50 looked really nice. Based on what I can gather from Google, it sounds like this was from 2009 and reviewed very well.

Yuyak...my love for what you bring to the community only continues to grow with each passing post!
Ha! Thanks. I'm just trying to give back positively to the community that continues to find fantastic deals for me

Thanks CZYZ for taking the time to reply with great information. Based upon what you said, I went to Costco (Bedford Park, IL) and picked
up the Panasonic that Polish Dreamer originally posted. There were at least 7 left and one Open Box. I must admit that I am very happy with
the LG too and am keeping the 4 I already bought.

czyz said:   As per LG's website, the LG 50PA4500 is not a 1080p screen. They call it 720p in their literature, but list its panel's actual native resolution as 1024x768. It can take 720p and 1080p signals, and likely tells HD receivers and computers that it can accept those signals (as all HD displays have always done), but according to those specifications it can only be upscaling 'em all. It's a nice price for a screen that size and the picture quality could be great in terms of color and contrast, but its only sporting ~37% as many pixels as the Panasonic.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014