• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.frys.com/product/6994417?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

In-store purchase or buy online/select in-store pickup. You will be charged $429 for this Samsung PN51E450 720p HDTV. I've compared/calibrated this TV with the LG 50PA4500 in the same room. LG has more accurate picture, slightly better picture quality, more powerful remote control, better on-screen navigation, better sound, and built-in picture calibration. LG comes with an additional VGA input, and component input. It's also heavier by about 13 lbs (no stand). Samsung is slightly bigger (51" vs 50"), with a brighter screen. The default Cimena color is richer but flesh tone is too red. Both have reflective screen. I went with the LG (was $399 last week), but would also recommend the Samsung.

Since over-the-air broadcast, most games, and digital TV (via the AT&T, TWC, Comcast, etc) max out at 720p/1080i, you will not be able to take advantage of 1080p resolution unless you use pristine blockbuster Blue Ray movies. Furthermore, the additional picture improvement from BR/1080p will disappear if the viewing distance is more than 10 feet.

Samsung PN51E450 item number 6994417 (call store to confirm stock and $429 price). Item is also available in-store for $429. It's on today's Frys ad. You can PM @ Best Buy...call the Frys store and ask for stock/price on item number 6994417. There should be plenty of stock right now at Frys (a few hours into the sale).

Member Summary

Plasma PN51E450 (5.35kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

I have last years model and it is great...and I thought is was a good deal for $600...this is a fantastic price.

trustknow1 said:   I have last years model and it is great...and I thought is was a good deal for $600...this is a fantastic price.

It's a very good TV and should work well for most people. I would only recommend a 1080p set if you will use it as a PC monitor.

WOW VERY NICE

Can someone ship this to me??

IMO, the E450 black levels(thanks in part to the "Real Black" Filter, which all 2012 Sammy pdps have) are better than OP's LG model. The Flesh tone thing can be corrected through a calibration disc.

Also, LG's PWM noise is unacceptable, it drives me crazy. It's not as noticeable on Sammy or Panny pdps.

~Pwm=pulse-width modulation
All plasma tv's have this to some degree, It's the way they are powered & their dithering algorithm.

Since over-the-air broadcast, most games, and digital TV (via the AT&T, TWC, Comcast, etc) max out at 720p/1080i, you will not be able to take advantage of 1080p resolution unless you use pristine blockbuster Blue Ray movies. Furthermore, the additional picture improvement from BR/1080p will disappear if the viewing distance is more than 10 feet.

thanks for including this info in your post. most people forget these facts and automatically star screaming bloody murder when a tv on sale isn't 1080p when it doesn't even matter other than for computer/bluray uses.

Just had BB pricematch. $460 out the door!

E4300 said:   trustknow1 said:   I have last years model and it is great...and I thought is was a good deal for $600...this is a fantastic price.

It's a very good TV and should work well for most people. I would only recommend a 1080p set if you will use it as a PC monitor.

Really? And people are talking 4k as the next gen standard. IMHO, the more lines the better on any display. You really can't get enough.

ihaslittledolla said:   Really? And people are talking 4k as the next gen standard. IMHO, the more lines the better on any display. You really can't get enough.
It depends on your source material and your viewing distance. I believe the OP has stated in other threads that he mostly (or exclusively) watches TV (720p/1080i) and that his viewing distance is over 10', which is very far for a 50" TV (too far for 1080p to be appreciated). And people need to realize that there is a LOT more to image quality than resolution. It is wrong to assume that a 1080p TV will inherently have better overall image quality than a 720p TV, even with a relatively small viewing distance and a 1080p source. When you consider that most consumers don't have a close viewing distance and do not primarily/exclusively use a 1080p source, then an inexpensive 720p TV seems practical. Having said that, 50" 1080p plasmas with exceptional image quality are very affordable in 2012.

Prime example is the 1080p Panasonic TC-P50U50/54, which can be currently had for <650 @ some big retailers(Costco/Sams).

Nice deal, I picked it up today. Some of you claimed you had this TV, could you post your basic color settings? I've been messing with it for a while and can't get a good color yet.

Best setting for me is in MOVIE/CINEMA mode. Drop the CELL LIGHT setting to about 14. Skin tone and red are a little tricky to tame (shift about six click from neutral). Lower color by two notches. You can also connect the TV to your PC via HDMI cable and use the HIGHLIGHTS and SHADOWS screens to fine tune the picture in your room.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/MONCAL/CALIBRATE.HTM

I also used the BB price match. Ssswweeeeet! Thank you E4300.

Two issues I'm having- first their ad doesn't show the item number. The store is telling me that the 6994417 is not the correct item in the ad. Second, they're (of course) out of the item in the ad.

When I go to add the item to my cart on frys.com, it comes up $449 not $429. With the extra recycle fee and tax it comes to $498.

I'd love to know how Uppie1414 got it for 460 otd at bb w/ a pm when they didn't even have a number to pm to.

Akiva1080 said:   Two issues I'm having- first their ad doesn't show the item number. The store is telling me that the 6994417 is not the correct item in the ad. Second, they're (of course) out of the item in the ad.

When I go to add the item to my cart on frys.com, it comes up $449 not $429. With the extra recycle fee and tax it comes to $498.

I'd love to know how Uppie1414 got it for 460 otd at bb w/ a pm when they didn't even have a number to pm to.

Did you called your B&M Frys and ask for pricing in item number 6994417? What did the store tell you about the price of item number 6994417? If you showed up at the store, then which HDTV did they offered?

The price is $449 via the web, but when you bring the quote number to the store to pickup the TV, the price will ring up as $429 at the register. There are plenty of item 6994417 in S Cal as of 11 am PST. You will be charged $429 plus tax, plus any applicable recycling fee.

The way to pricematch at Best Buy is to call the local Frys while you're at BB, to check stock on item number 6994417. Once you get confirmation of model number and stock from Frys over the phone, you ask for the price. The CSR at Frys will confirm the $429 price.

They told me they couldn't say which was the "one in the ad" but that the 6994417 could be purchased for the online price in store. I'll checkit. Thanks again.

E4300 said:   Best setting for me is in MOVIE/CINEMA mode. Drop the CELL LIGHT setting to about 14. Skin tone and red are a little tricky to tame (shift about six click from neutral). Lower color by two notches. You can also connect the TV to your PC via HDMI cable and use the HIGHLIGHTS and SHADOWS screens to fine tune the picture in your room.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/MONCAL/CALIBRATE.HTM

thanks

Thanks OP! I went ahead and picked one up since my Sharp Aquos went on the blink two weeks ago. The Samsung has pretty good sound quality and volume for a flat panel. The picture quality is fine for my circumstances (13+ foot viewing distance). I've not fooled much with adjustments short of turning the contrast down from its "X-Ray" setting. I think it will be a winner!

I hope I have better luck with this one. This is my 4th big screen in the last 8 years! The JVC, Panny and Sharp died after 2 years. The Panny died after 4. I might be looking into a long term warranty this go 'round.

lexscholar said:   Thanks OP! I went ahead and picked one up since my Sharp Aquos went on the blink two weeks ago. The Samsung has pretty good sound quality and volume for a flat panel. The picture quality is fine for my circumstances (13+ foot viewing distance). I've not fooled much with adjustments short of turning the contrast down from its "X-Ray" setting. I think it will be a winner!

I hope I have better luck with this one. This is my 4th big screen in the last 8 years! The JVC, Panny and Sharp died after 2 years. The Panny died after 4. I might be looking into a long term warranty this go 'round.

Try the default Cinema/Movie setting and drop the cell light to 14.

Does anyone know the tv remote code for AT&T Uverse for this TV?
Thanks
Risa

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014