Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

Acer Amd A8-4500M Laptop $429 Best Buy HDMI

First page
1 of 2
ftblstr
8/26/12 7:00 AM
I was at Best Buy yesterday and found an Quad Core AMD A8-4500M for 429.00. It is not on sale, but it is the cheapest A8 I've found by a bit. I couldn't find it on their website, and neither could they when purchasing. I wanted to verify it had Hdmi...but they let me open it in store.

Keyboard is soft, but responsive. Screen is bright. Sound is clear. It has Dolby Digital. Numeric keypad. It comes with a free copy of Dirt 3 from Steam. Be Gentle....

Sku 5688596
Model v3-551-8887

Going golfing. Sorry I wont be able to update post for a few hours if there are any questions.

Link to Product
Specs

Amd A8-4500m
HDMI
15.6 Screen
4GB ddr3
500 Gb
Bluetooth 4.0
6 Cell Battery
Usb 3.0 ( 1 port
USB 2 (2 ports
Web Cam
KeyPad
Dvd RW
WikiPost
8/26/12 7:00 AM
Acer Amd A8-4500M Laptop [ image/jpeg - 13.44kB ]
bargainron
8/26/12 7:03 AM
What is the model number? The 6 cell battery may be the holdup for me.
FrugalFreaky
8/26/12 7:32 AM
VirtuaL
8/26/12 10:16 AM
Wow, this is pretty hot. A8-4500M is a Trinity chip, not a Llano. AMD's newest mobile CPU family.

Newegg wants $529 for something comparable to this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215419

I just talked with a friend of mine that was looking at laptops with his GF, I'm going to tell him to check this one out, it's in-stock at my local BB.

Edit: No specification for battery life? What kind of company releases a laptop, without testing it for battery life with MobileMark 2007? WTF?

It does say "6-cell battery", but I don't think it lists the Wh either.

So does anyone want to hazard a guess as to how long the battery will last in this thing?
respdoc
8/26/12 10:25 AM
ftblstr said:   

Keyboard is soft, but responsive. Screen is bright. Sound is clear. It has Dolby Digital. Numeric keypad. It comes with a free copy of Dirt 3 from Steam. Be Gentle....

Can't say I've seen that game offered on Steam before.
juddev
8/26/12 11:04 AM
Overview
Specifications
Customer Reviews

Be the first to write a review.
Have questions?
Ask Team Acer, fellow shoppers and Best Buy staff. Share your answers.
Ask and Answer

Product Q&A
Be the first to ask a question.
Share This Product
ENERGY STAR Certified ENERGY STAR Certified
Boost your on-the-go productivity with this Acer 15.6" Aspire V3 V3-551-8887 laptop that features built-in wireless networking for a simple Internet connection. The multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive lets you create custom CDs and DVDs.

Windows 7 Home Premium installed
Learn more.
Learn more about VISION Technology from AMD.

VISION A8 by AMD logo
What's Included

Acer 15.6" Aspire V3 Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive
6-cell lithium-ion battery
AC power cord, AC power adapter
Software: Adobe Reader 10 and more
Owner's manual

Product Features

VISION Technology by AMD
Makes your digital photos and Web sites look amazing and gives a boost to digital music playback.
AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon HD 7640G graphics
For optimal performance.
4GB DDR3 dual-channel memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.
15.6" LED-backlit high-definition widescreen display
With CineCrystal technology, 1366 x 768 resolution and a 16:9 aspect ratio showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
500GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
AMD Radeon HD 7640G graphics
With up to 512MB shared video memory support Unified Video Decoder 3.2 (UVD3.2), OpenCL 1.1, OpenGL 3.2, OpenEXR High-Dynamic Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 5.0 and Microsoft DirectX 11; HDMI output.
Media control function keys
Offer quick and easy access to commonly used functions.
1.3MP HD webcam with built-in microphone
Captures video in 1280 x 1024 resolution and makes it easy to chat with and send video mail to family and friends.
Multiformat digital media card reader
Supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card formats.
1 USB 3.0 port and 2 USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
Connect to the Internet without wires.
Bluetooth 4.0 + HS interface
Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.
Built-in 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
Weighs only 5.7 lbs. and measures just 1.3" thin
For easy portability. Numeric keypad enables you to quickly type numbers.
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
Software package included
With Adobe Reader 10 and more. Microsoft Office Starter 2010 also included (product key card required for activation; sold separately).
ENERGY STAR qualified
Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy.
AMD, AMD Arrow logo, AMD Athlon, AMD PowerNow!, HyperTransport and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
karrenlin708
8/26/12 5:17 PM
I was also looking at the $299 ($285 with red card) Target deal, with a B950 CPU. This one adds USB 3.0 and BT, which is nice.

A8-4500M CPU seems to be better too, but I am not sure by how much. Benchmarks place it way higher than B950. But real world performance might not be as large of a difference.

I think GPU (graphics) for games would be much better than B950 in the Target deal. If you game, then this one would be better. Still on the lower end, but for the price, it does not seem bad at all.

Assuming you have a red card, then this deal is ~$145 more. I am debating whether it is worth it for the USB 3.0 port, BT, slightly better CPU performance, and nice GPU performance boost. Leaning towards worth it.

Can someone share additional information on these CPUs?
VirtuaL
8/26/12 6:45 PM
This laptop is WAY better than a Pentium/Celeron B950 laptop. Far superior GPU, superior CPU, USB3, HDMI, the works.
First page
1 of 2
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.